Author's Chapter Notes:
Rate: R ~ sexual themes & violence

Chapter 18

( 3 days later ~ Memphis, Tenn. )

They were finally in Tennessee and it was the day of Kerrigan’s party.  The last few days seemed to have dragged on for Justin.

Between, finalizing all of the party plans and dealing with Kerrigan’s somber mood after her little argument with Cody, Justin was ready for the party.  Ready to unwind and forget about the last few weeks.

But Justin didn’t know which was worse.  Kerrigan’s foul mood about her and Cody’s fight and the fact that she hadn’t told him what it was about.  Or the making up they did the day before when Cody had came up to talk to her.  Just when he thought the guy was gone for good, he had to come back like some soap opera character that got killed off and always somehow managed to still be alive.

The whole situation was frustrating to him and he was ready to pull his hair out.  Well, if it weren’t buzzed and long enough for him to actually get a hold of it good enough to pull it out.

Regardless, now they were at the party.  Kerrigan was wandering around with Cody, saying hello to all of her family and introducing him to everyone.  Justin wanted to puke when he saw Kerrigan’s Mom, Mrs. Wallace’s face light up when Kerrigan introduced Cody as her boyfriend.

Kerrigan had been bitching for a long time about how her Mom was always on her about settling down and finding her a man.  Wanting her to get married and have her some Grandchildren.  Justin loved Mrs. Wallace to pieces, but he just couldn’t deal with the fact that she had just met Cody and already she had Kerrigan married to him and mothering the guy’s kids.

Kerrigan was an only child, so Justin supposed that was where her Mother’s pushiness came from about the matter.  But still, Kerrigan was young.  Only just that day turning twenty one.  She was too young to be married and having kids.  Especially, with the likes of Cody.

Mrs. Wallace also seemed thrilled that Kerrigan was acting and dressing more like the young woman she was.  She couldn’t seem to get over the fact that Kerrigan was actually wearing a dress.  But then Justin had been a little awed by that fact too.

He had to admit Kerrigan did look really beautiful in the outfit she’d chosen that evening.  She was wearing a simple white dress that was patterned in small purplish pink flowers.  Trimmed in a creamy tan color lace looking material.  It hung to just above her knees and was sleeveless, appearing to wrap around her chest in a cris cross style.  All together she looked very elegant and mature in the dress.

But then there was Cody again.  The way he was clinging to Kerrigan and hovering around her.  The girl couldn’t get two feet away from the guy.  Except of course when he was off getting her another drink.  Justin had completely lost track of how many drinks Kerrigan had consumed, although he guessed it hadn’t been too many yet because she was still on her feet and she didn’t appear to be drunk.

Justin focused back on the man standing in front of him.  Jared Smith, the DJ of the evening.  He was requesting a couple songs he knew Kerrigan loved to be played for her a little later.  And somehow they’d gotten off on another subject.  Or at least Jared had.  Justin had spaced out.

Jared was another kid that he, Kerrigan and Trace had grown up with.  Justin had never really been that close to the guy, considering he moved away when he was twelve.  But when they were debating on DJ’s Trace had thrown his name out there and so Justin had figured what the hell.  But as the guy went on and on about Kerrigan and how much she had changed since the last time he’d seen her, he was seriously questioning his decision.

Then all of the sudden Jared grabbed Justin by his arm.  “Ok, that guy finally left her side.  I’m gonna go say hi, come with me!” he said dragging Justin along by his arm.

The two approached Kerrigan and she turned and smiled at Justin and then just nodded her head at Jared, her smile falling.  “Hey, what are you two doing?” she asked.

“Not much.” Justin gave her an apologetic look.  He’d only learned after they’d gotten to the party and Kerrigan had seen that Jared was the DJ that they weren’t on such great terms.

Kerrigan hadn’t gotten into the reasons why they weren’t on good terms, just that she wished that Justin or one of the other guys would have mentioned that Jared was going to be the DJ that evening.  But it was too late now and she had managed to avoid Jared all evening long.  At least Justin was there with her now.  He would prevent her from murdering the guy.

“So Kerr, you’re looking incredibly beautiful this evening.  I really like your dress.  I’ve always said you had amazing legs.” Jared gushed, smiling at her.

Justin turned and looked at him as if he were insane.  When had he ever said Kerrigan had great legs?  When had he ever seen them?  But then that thought occurred stupid, considering he’d seen her in shorts a bazillion times growing up.  But still he could never remember the guy saying she had great legs.  But again, he hadn’t been around him after the age twelve either.

Kerrigan put on her best smile.  “Thanks, Jared.” she forced herself to say.

“So what have you been up to lately?” he asked.  “Still running all over the country with Justin here, I take it.”

Justin decided to answer that one for Kerrigan seeing as how he could see that little spark growing in her eyes.  It was evident she was annoyed and didn’t want to be talking to the guy.  “She works for me, Jared.  Which in turn requires her to travel with me.  She’s not just running all over the country with me.”

“Oh, so you’re his EMPLOYEE?” Jared asked, raising his eyebrows when he said employee.

Kerrigan glared at him.  “Yes, I’m his personal assistant.”

“Personal assistant, huh.  How personal?”  Jared grinned at her.

Now Justin was angry.  What the hell was Jared suggesting?  And what the hell was he thinking, trying to get Kerrigan upset at her party?  “Jared, I don’t think I like what you’re suggesting.” Justin growled.  “Kerrigan, is my friend.  She happens to have a boyfriend.  So I’d appreciate it if you didn’t cheapen her in that way by suggesting that she’s doing anything other than helping me out with actual work!”

“Yeah, so would I!” Cody stated angrily, glaring at Jared.  He had just walked back up with his and Kerrigan’s drinks, Justin had failed to notice his presence and apparently so had Jared.

 Jared held his hands up.  “I was just joking around.  We always joke around and tease each other, don’t we Kerr?” he said eyeing her.

“Well, actually the way I remember it, you were always joking around and teasing me and I was always kicking your ass.” she smirked.

“Funny how our views on that differ.  But none the less, I’m here to work so I’ll get back to the job I’m getting paid for.  It was nice seeing you again Kerrigan.  Happy Birthday.” he smiled, before walking off towards the DJ booth.

“What the hell was that about?” Cody asked, still angry with the suggestions that Jared was throwing out.

“He’s an asshole.  Always has been.  Always will be.” Kerrigan supplied.

“Yeah, he’s just a prick.  He’s always picked on Kerrigan.  Since we were kids.  Remind me again why I hired him for this job?”

“Um, it was your idea?” Kerrigan smirked at him.

“Actually, no.  It was Trace’s idea.” Justin corrected.

“Ok.  Well, remind me to kill him later for that.” she smiled.

“Will do!” Justin smiled, looking down at the Martini that she was holding.  “How many of those you had tonight?”

Kerrigan looked down at her drink and back up at Justin.  “Only a couple, why?  You’re not gonna go all alcohol enforcement on me are you?  I mean I am twenty one now.”

Justin laughed.  “No, I was just asking.  It’s your birthday you can drink all ya want.” he smiled.  “But look, I’m gonna go find the other guys.  I’ll catch ya later, ok?”

“Ok, see ya later.”

“Ok, later.” Justin smiled, leaning in to give Kerrigan a quick hug and kiss on the cheek.  He glanced over at Cody.  “Later man.” he said as he walked off.

“Why does he have to do that?” Cody questioned.

“Do what?” Kerrigan gave him a puzzled look.

“Hug and kiss on you in front of me.”

Kerrigan laughed.  “Cody, it was just a friendly gesture.  You’re killing me with this jealousy stuff.  I thought we talked about all this yesterday?”

“We did, I’m sorry.  It just slipped out before I could stop myself.” he grinned at her innocently.

“Yeah, I’m sure it did.” Kerrigan shook her head at him.

“Whatever.” he shrugged.  “What do you say we go dance.  Lose the distance between us?” he asked, wiggling his eyebrows.

Kerrigan giggled at his suggestion. “Sounds good to me.”

They sat their drinks down on a nearby table and then made their way out to the dance floor, to see just how much distance they could lose between each other.


Later on that evening when all the family and Kerrigan’s parents had headed home and it was just the younger crowd, Justin motioned for Jared that it was time to play the songs he had requested earlier that night.

He let the first couple songs play through, watching Kerrigan to see if she realized what was playing and she had.  She had looked directly over at Justin, smiling.  It was obvious she knew he’d been the one behind those songs.

But when the slow beats of one of Kerrigan’s all time favorite songs, as well as a song that held sweet memories for Kerrigan and Justin began to pour through the speakers, she looked directly over to where Justin had been to smile at him, but he was no longer there.  When she turned back around she saw him standing on the other side of the table she was seated at.
 

What I need from you is understanding,
How can we communicate,
If you don't hear what I say.
What I need from you is understanding,
So simple as 1-2-3,
Understanding is what we need.
 

He walked around the table and held his hand out for hers.  “Come on, Kerr.  You’re dancing with me.” he said, pulling her up from her seat and leading her out to the dance floor.
 

You don't really know me,
You just wanna do what you wanna do.
That's not the way it should be,
No, you should listen to me boy.
I try so very hard to make you understand,
But the choices you make, baby they're all demands.
 

Justin wrapped Kerrigan’s arms around his neck, then wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her close.

“I can’t believe you asked them to play this.” she smiled up at him.

“Why not?  You love this song.”

“It’s just funny.  Holds a lot of good memories.”

“Yeah, well that little recap we had of that a couple weeks ago made me think of it.  I’ve been planning to request it ever since.” he smiled goofily.

Kerrigan laughed at the goofy smile he was giving her.  “No wonder Jared thought what he did.” she stated.

“Jared’s a dumbass.  Who cares what he thinks.”
 

I try so very hard to keep our love alive,
But you don't wanna meet me half way,
Then the understanding dies.

There's no way that we can work it out,
If we don't pull together.
I don't mean to be demanding,
But I want some understanding,
I want to be with you.

What I need from you is understanding,
How can we communicate,
If you don't hear what I say.
What I need from you is understanding,
So simple as 1-2-3,
Understanding is what we need.
 

Meanwhile, Cody was sitting back at the table watching Kerrigan and Justin on the dance floor.  They were talking and laughing as they danced and Cody was growing insanely jealous just watching them.

He would never understand the bond between Kerrigan and Justin.  Nor did he want to either.  All he knew was that they were too close for comfort.  And he was going to take it upon himself to do something about that.
 

I listen to you baby,
And I know the things you're going through.
I try to understand,
That's why I'm still here with you, baby.
See everyday we're living,
Is one thing that will always be unsure.
That's why I need you baby, pleading baby,
Please let our love endure.
 

“Hey Trace, check out that look on Cody’s face.” Joey said, nudging Trace and then pointing in Cody’s direction.

Trace chuckled.  “He looks pissed.”

“Yeah, not to happy that his girlfriend is dancing with someone else, huh?”

“Not at all.” Trace mumbled, watching Cody.  Something about the look on his face made him incredibly uneasy.
 

I try so very hard to keep our love alive,
But you don't wanna meet me half way,
Then the understanding dies.

There's no way that we can work it out,
If we don't pull together.
I don't mean to be demanding,
But I want some understanding,
I want to be with you.

What I need from you is understanding,
How can we communicate,
If you don't hear what I say.
What I need from you is understanding,
So simple as 1-2-3,
Understanding is what we need.
 

Oblivious to Cody’s angry stare, and Trace’s suspicious stare at Cody.  Justin and Kerrigan continued to dance while they talked about old times growing up.  Laughing at the memories that had bonded them together for life.
 

All I need, all I need
All I need is understanding
Ohhhhhhh, if you don’t hear what I say
Can’t ya see baby
Oh, oh, ohhhh

I try so very hard to keep our love alive,
But you don't wanna meet me half way,
Then the understanding dies.

There's no way that we can work it out,
If we don't pull together.
I don't mean to be demanding,
But I want some understanding,
I want to be with you.
 

And on the other side of the room.  Going completely unnoticed so far by anyone other than the doorman, stood Britney.  Her eyes fixed on the two figures dancing and laughing together in the middle of the large dance floor.
 

What I need from you is understanding,
How can we communicate,
If you don't hear what I say.
What I need from you is understanding,
So simple as 1-2-3,
Understanding is what we need.

What I need from you is understanding,
How can we communicate,
If you don't hear what I say.
What I need from you is understanding,
So simple as 1-2-3,
Understanding is what we need.
 

As the last notes of the song played through the speakers, Kerrigan and Justin laughed over yet another memory they had just revisited.

Until of course Britney stormed up to the two, grabbing Kerrigan by her shoulder, swinging her around and then slapping her across her face as she yelled.  “YOU FUCKING BITCH!”

( Understanding ~ By: Xscape )
 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers