Author's Chapter Notes:
Rate: R ~ sexual themes & violence

Chapter 41

Everything seemed to be happening so fast around them.  It seemed like only moments before Trace and Justin had been sitting on the floor in Kerrigan’s bedroom with her awaiting the arrival of the Police and Paramedics.  But now they were sitting in a private room at the local hospital awaiting word on Kerrigan’s condition.

They’d been there for a couple of hours.  And once again they found themselves impatiently waiting for someone or anyone to come and tell them what the hell was going on.  It seemed that rushing Kerrigan to the hospital was becoming a habit for them.  A habit that they were going to break real quick.

Justin paced the room as his mind replayed the events of the evening.  From the chilling phone call he received from Kerrigan, to finding her the was she was in her apartment, to the Police and Paramedics showing up.

When they had finally arrived the Police had questioned Kerrigan about the events of the evening as the Paramedics checked over her.  Placing her on a gurney and starting an IV on her.

Justin couldn’t believe the things he’d heard her tell the police.  The things that Cody had done to her.  It was evident from her appearance that he’d literally beat the shit out of her, but to hear it all in Kerrigan’s raspy words had sent him into a further state of rage.

The police even had to detain Justin, as he had attempted to storm out of the apartment in search of Cody.

But he couldn’t help himself.  Hearing the things that Cody had said to her.  And further more hearing about how he had violated her sent him raving mad.  He couldn’t believe that Cody had done this to her.  He claimed to love her, but it was obvious that Cody didn’t know what love was.  Love did not inflict people with pain.  Not like that. Not intentional pain.

Trace watched from his chair as Justin continued to pace the room.  He could only imagine the thoughts that were running through his head.

He knew Justin was angry.  That he was overwhelmed.  Trace felt the same emotions, only he was trying to keep himself in check.  Someone needed to keep a level head in this situation and it was obviously NOT going to be Justin.

He was just aching to get out of the hospital and hunt Cody down.  The look in his eyes was purely murderous.  Not that Trace could blame him.  He felt the same way.

“Would you sit down and quit pacing.” Trace finally snapped, unable to handle it any longer.

Justin scowled at Trace.  “I can’t sit still.  I need to know what’s taking them so damn long.  They’ve been in there for a while, that means it’s probably really bad.”

“You don’t know that.” Trace said, trying to remain optimistic.

“You seen her, Trace.  You know as well as I do that it’s gonna be bad.”

“Yeah I did, but I’m not up pacing the room.  You need to calm down.  You’re driving me insane!”

“Well, I’m SORRY that I’m worried about her!” Justin snapped back.

“Justin, let’s not fight.  We’re both worried about Kerrigan and arguing isn’t going to change anything.” Trace reasoned, sinking further into the plastic chair.

Justin stopped pacing and looked over at Trace.  “You’re right, I’m sorry I snapped at you.  But seriously man, I can’t help it.  I’m really worried about her.  You seen her.  You seen the look in her eyes, you had to have seen it.  You couldn’t miss it.  It was like she was dead inside, Trace.  He really fucked her up.  And I’m not talking just physically.”

“I know.” Trace sighed, looking down at his finger nail as he picked at it.

“I just can’t believe this happened.  I can’t believe he did that to her.  I swear to God, I’m gonna kill him.” Justin said, clenching his fists as he again started pacing angrily.  Trying to restrain himself from lashing out and tearing the room apart.

Again Trace merely muttered an “I know.” in response as he continued to stare at his hands.

“I’m serious, Trace.  When I get my hands on Cody, he’s gonna wish he’d never been born.”

“Justin….” Trace sighed, he was tired of talking about it already.  He didn’t want to think about it anymore than he had to.

Justin immediately jumped on the defensive taking Trace‘s sighing the wrong way.  “You think I’m playin’, but I’m not.  You think I’m exaggerating, but I assure you I’M NOT!” Justin said angrily, his tone rising.  “I LOVE KERRIGAN!  And he hurt her!  He BEYOND hurt her and that son of a bitch is going to pay!”

“You think I don’t know that?  I care about her too, J.  You think I’m not just as upset as you are by what he did to her?” Trace glared at him.  “She’s my friend too, damn it!”

“I didn’t meant…”

Justin attemtped, but Trace cut him off.  “I know you didn’t mean it like that, but damn it Justin, you need to calm down for a moment and think rationally here.  Kerrigan, needs us.  She needs us here for her. Not just physically here, but mentally.  She’s been through hell tonight and she’s gonna be really messed up.  The last thing she needs, is to worry about one of us running off and murdering the bastard.”

Justin’s head slumped in defeat, Trace was right.  Kerrigan needed them there for her.  She didn’t need to have anything else to worry about at the moment.  Justin was sure he would get his moment with Cody and when he did, it would be well worth the wait.  But for the time being he needed to control his temper and focus on what was important.  Kerrigan.

Just then they heard someone clear their throat.  Both men looked to the doorway to see a nurse standing there.  “I’m sorry to interrupt, but Dr. Jenkins sent me to get you two.” she spoke softly.

Both Justin and Trace nodded and made their way over to the door.

“Are you taking us to see, Kerrigan?” Trace asked.

The nurse smiled at the two young men.  Their concern was every bit visible on their tired faces.  “Yes.  The Doctor requested that you be brought back to the room.  He’s speaking with her now about her condition and he feels as though she’ll need her friends there with her when he‘s finished.” she stated as she lead them down the hallway.

Justin and Trace looked at each other as they followed behind the nurse.  That couldn’t be good.

Justin was just about to speak up and ask the nurse what was going on when he heard a female voice cry out from down the hallway.

Immediately Justin recognized the voice as Kerrigan’s and he and Trace both pushed past the nurse and rushed down the hallway towards the sound of her voice.

When they finally reached the doorway to her from they found Kerrigan sobbing hysterically into her hands, as the Doctor stood off to the side of her bed and rubbed her back soothingly.  Trying to calm her, as he stated how sorry he was.

Justin and Trace both rushed into the room, right to her side.  “What’s wrong?  What happened?” Trace questioned.

“Kerrigan?” Justin asked, grabbing her hands to pull them away from her face.  “Sweetie, what’s wrong?”

Kerrigan looked over to Justin and Trace, devastation seeping from her eyes.  She attempted to speak through her tears, but could form no words.

Trace looked up to meet the Doctor’s sympathetic eyes.  “What the hell happened?  What’s wrong?” he demanded, desperately.

“I’m very sorry.” Dr. Jenkins paused.  “I just had to inform your friend that she lost the baby.”

“Oh, God.” Justin muttered at his words.  “Kerrigan?” he said leaning over the bed rail to pull her into a hug.  “I’m SO sorry sweetie!  God, I’m so sorry.”

Trace stood there in shock.  She’d lost the baby?  He couldn’t believe it.  Well, it was understandable considering the way she’s been beaten so badly, but that was not the fore thought in his mind.

He suddenly found himself feeling guilty, because since she had found out that she was pregnant he’d been against it.  He’s made comments here and there about how unhappy he was about it.  And he hadn’t been as supportive as he could have been, but now he felt horrible.  He couldn’t even imagine what Kerrigan was feeling at the moment.

She had warmed up to the idea of being a Mother and had been looking forward to it.  And now, in one night, that had all been yanked away from her.  On top of everything else that had happened to her.  It was just unbelievable.

Trying to stay focused on Kerrigan’s condition and to keep himself from breaking down, Trace looked to Dr. Jenkins.  “Is there anything else we should know?”

Dr. Jenkins sighed.  “Well, it’s obvious she’s been beaten up really badly, but as far as injuries are concerned she has a couple bruised ribs, which I’m shocked weren’t broken.  And a slight concussion from her head being repeatedly slammed into the wall and ground.   But amazingly enough, aside from those injuries and the loss of the child everything else appears to be just bruising.”

“Yeah, like that’s not enough.” Justin muttered, angrily.  He couldn’t believe the Doctor was making little of the injuries she did have.  The ones she had were bad enough.  She didn’t need anymore.

Dr. Jenkins looked at Justin.  “It could have been worse.” he stated calmly.

“How much worse could it possibly get?” Justin asked defensively.  “LOOK AT HER!”

Dr. Jenkins nodded his acknowledgement and understanding and then spoke again.  “He could have killed her.”

The room grew silent at his words, all but for Kerrigan’s soft sobs.

Justin didn’t want to think about that so he turned his attention back to Kerrigan, attempting to comfort her the best he could by whispering encouraging words to her.  Trying to reassure her that things were going to be ok.

Trace looked back over at the Doctor.  “When will she be released?” he asked.

“Well, we’ll be keeping her at least tonight for observation.  Just to make sure there aren’t any complications from the head injuries, but we also need to perform a DNC as well.”

Justin looked over at him.  “DNC?  What’s that?” he asked.

“It’s a medical procedure performed on the Uterus to essentially clean it out.”

“Clean it out?” Trace questioned, completely lost.

Dr. Jenkins locked eyes with both Justin and Trace and kept his voice low, hoping that Kerrigan wouldn’t hear him over her sobs and become more upset.  “The baby.” he stated.

“The baby?” Justin questioned, not understanding.

Dr. Jenkins sighed.  “Kerrigan wasn’t that far along in her pregnancy, but she was far enough along to where her body cannot naturally flush itself out.  Therefore, we need to do it for her.” he stated.

Realization dawned on both Justin and Trace.  “Oh, man.” Justin sighed, turning his attention back to Kerrigan.  She wasn’t going to take that news any better.

“You have to do that?” Trace questioned.  He didn’t want Kerrigan to have to go through anymore than she’d already had to.

“Yes, it’s necessary.  If the DNC isn’t performed she could develop an infection and several complications.”

Trace nodded.  If it had to be done, then it had to be done there was no getting around it.  Besides the last thing they needed was for Kerrigan to develop some kind of infection.  This whole thing was going to be hard enough to deal with as it was, let alone adding anymore complications to the mix.

He wasn’t sure how they were going to get through this, but he knew that they would find a way.  Trace could personally vouch for the fact that he would do whatever he needed to do, to be there for Kerrigan.  He didn’t care what it was.  And he was pretty positive that Justin felt the same way.
 
 
 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers