Author's Chapter Notes:
Rate: R ~ sexual themes & violence

Chapter 45

( 2 weeks later )

“Ok, you go get what you need and then meet me and Trace back by the electronics in what, like ten, fifteen minutes?” Justin said to Kerrigan.

“Yup, that’ll work.” Kerrigan smiled as she trotted off in the opposite direction from the guys.

Justin and Trace stood and watched her retreating back for a moment before they finally set off in their own direction.

They were at a local Wal-Mart to pick up some things for the house and a few groceries.  They’d decided to make it a group outing because they hadn’t really gotten to do much with each other over the last couple of weeks and had decided to make today their official “do stuff together” day.  Even if it did just consist of going to the store together.

Kerrigan was doing substantially better.  She was no longer moping around the house and crying all the time.  Although, she did have her moments when something would happen that reminded her of things and she would get a little depressed and somber about it.  But for the most part she was doing a lot better.

She was actually talking to Trace and Justin about things that were bothering her, rather than holding it inside.  This made the guys very happy, because all they wanted to do was help her deal with things and before she wouldn’t even let them in.  But now they were dealing with it together, as a group.  A group of tightly knit friends.

Kerrigan made her way through the store and went directly to what she’d come to get.  She grabbed the few personal items she needed and threw them in her hand held basket and then proceeded to make her way back across to the other side of the store where she was supposed to meet Justin and Trace.

She stopped along the way in the women’s section to look at a couple shirts that had caught her eye as she was walking past and after a moment of thought she finally found her size in the garment and then threw it into her basket as well, turning to continue on her way.

She was walking past the automotive section of the store, on her way to the electronics where she was supposed to meet the guys, when all of the sudden Cody appeared before her.  He walked out of the isle he had just been in and noticed her right away.

“Kerrigan…” he said, staring at her.

Kerrigan froze, totally unprepared to see him.  “What are you doing here?” she questioned, unable to form any other words.

Cody moved towards her and Kerrigan immediately backed away from him.  “How’ve you been?” he asked as he continued to walk towards her.

“Stay away from me.” Kerrigan said, rushing past him to continue her way down the isle.

Cody followed her, grabbing her gently by her arm to stop her.  “Wait, we need to talk.”

Kerrigan looked back at him and jerked her arm away from him.  “We have nothing to talk about.  What are you doing out, anyway?  I thought you were in jail.”

“I bonded out.  I don’t have a record so they let me out till the court hearing.” he said reaching out to touch her, but again Kerrigan backed away from him.

“Well, stay away from me.  I don’t want to see you.” she said, turning and walking off.

Cody stood there for a moment and then followed her, jogging to catch up with her.  Once he did he reached out and grabbed her arm again.  “We need to talk.” he said, a little more forcefully.

“GET YOUR HANDS OFF ME!” Kerrigan yelled, jerking her arm away from him.

“Why are you acting like this?” Cody questioned.

“Because I don’t want to be around you.  Stay away.” she retorted, again attempting to walk off but Cody again grabbed her arm.

“I can’t do that, Kerrigan. I love you.” he told her.

Kerrigan tried to jerk her arm away from Cody again, but this time he held tight.  “Let me go.” she demanded.

“I can’t, Kerrigan.  We have so much we need to talk about.”

“I said let me go!”

“You don’t really wan….”

Cody was cut off as he was jerked away from Kerrigan forcefully.  “Put your hands on her again and I’ll kill you.” Justin threatened.

“I was just trying to talk to her.” Cody interjected.

“I don’t care what you were TRYING to do.  She told you to let her go and you didn’t.  You don’t touch her.  You hear me?  You don’t even come anywhere NEAR her!” Justin said as he pushed Cody backwards, his anger growing at the mere sight of the man.

“You can’t keep me from her.  If I want to talk to her I can.  It’s none of your business.” Cody, said shoving Justin back.

“That’s where you’re wrong.  Kerrigan, IS my business.  And she doesn’t want anything to do with you.  And you will respect that and stay the hell away from her or else.”

“Or else what?” Cody asked, standing up to Justin.

Kerrigan could see Justin was about to snap, so she quickly pulled away from Trace, whom had immediately pulled her to him as Justin had gone after Cody.  “Let’s just leave, J.  He’s not worth it.  Come on.” she said, pulling Justin away from Cody.

“See, she still cares about me.  She won’t let you attack me.” Cody smirked at Justin.

Kerrigan turned and glared at Cody.  “I don’t give a shit about you.  I’m not doing this for you, I’m doing this for him.  Cause I’m not about to let him get into trouble over a piece of shit like you.”

“Oh, I’m the piece of shit?” Cody scoffed.  “You’re the whore that caused all of this.”

Justin lunged forward in an attempt to get to Cody, but Trace jumped forward and grabbed a hold of him.  “No, J.  Kerri’s, right, let’s just go.  He’s not worth it man.”

Justin gave in to Trace and Kerrigan as they pulled him away, relaxing his body.  He wrapped his arm protectively around Kerrigan’s waist and looked to Cody.  “Just remember what I said.  Stay the fuck away from her, cause next time I won’t let them stop me.” he sneered and then turned and walked away.


( Back at the house )

Justin slammed the bags he’d been carrying into the house down on the kitchen table.  “I cannot believe the nerve of that guy!”

“J, calm down.  It’s over, just forget about it.” Trace told him.

“No, seriously Trace.  Who the hell does he think he is?  Just walking up to her like that?  Grabbing her like that?” Justin demanded.

“Justin, calm down.  Getting all upset about it will not solve anything.” Trace said glaring at him, hoping that Justin would take the hint that Kerrigan was standing in the same room as them, watching Justin closely.  Trace didn’t want her getting all upset about it again, she’d been doing so well over the last couple of weeks and he was afraid this was going to set her back in her recovery.  And Justin’s actions weren’t helping any.

“I can’t help it.  I hate him.  I want to strangle him.” Justin growled.

“So do I, but that’s not going to change anything so just chill out man.” Trace said, giving him a look and slightly nodding his head in Kerrigan’s direction.

Justin caught on and looked over to Kerrigan.  She was just standing there watching him.  “I’m sorry, Kerr. I didn’t mean to blow up like that.  I shouldn’t have done that in front of you.” he said, walking over and pulling her into a hug.

Kerrigan hugged him back and smiled slightly.  “It’s ok, J.  I know you’re just looking out for me, but really you need to try to control your temper.  I don’t want you getting into any trouble over me.  It’s not worth it.”

Justin pulled slightly back from their embrace and stared at her.  “Not worth it?  Are you kidding me?  I’d gladly go to jail for beating the shit out of him after what he did to you.  It would be SO worth it.”

“No, it’s not J.  It would just cause a whole bunch of problems for you and possibly mess up your career.  You don’t need that kind of attention.  Especially, since you’re working on your solo album.” she said, pulling away from him and proceeding to put some of the few groceries they had managed to pick up at the store, away.

Justin sighed, she was right and he knew it but he was angry and he couldn’t help but to feel the way he did.  “What the hell is he doing out anyways?  I thought he was in jail.  They actually let his ass out?”

“I was wondering that too.” Trace spoke up.

Kerrigan turned from placing the milk in the refrigerator and looked at the guys.  “He said he bonded out.  That they let him out because he didn’t have a record.  He doesn’t have to go back till the court hearing or whatever.”

“I swear those people are insane.  After what he did they just let him out?” Justin said angrily, shaking his head in disapproval.

“Yeah, well what are you gonna do?” Kerrigan shrugged.

“Not much we can do, apparently.  I just hope he’s got enough common sense to stay away.” Trace muttered.

“He don’t wanna bring his sorry ass around here.” Justin stated.

“Let’s just not worry about it right now guys.” Kerrigan suggested, hoping they’d drop the matter.

She didn’t want to think about it anymore.  Her mind had been reeling since the run in at the store with him and all this talk about what would happen and what they would do if he showed up again was not helping her in the least.  She just wanted to forget about it.

The group was quiet for a few minutes as they finished putting things away in their proper places, but they were all silently thinking things to themselves.

Justin was thinking about what he would do to Cody if he was stupid enough to come around the house looking to talk to Kerrigan.  Or if he got anywhere near her.  And Trace was pretty much thinking the same thing.

He wasn’t anywhere near as vocal about his distaste for Cody, but that didn’t make it any less potent.  He hated the man with a passion and he would go to any extreme to keep the guy away from Kerrigan.

While Kerrigan was silently praying she wouldn’t run into Cody again.  Seeing him brought back to many horrific memories that she was trying desperately to push out of her heard.  She had been dealing with things lately.  She had been sorting through her feelings and emotions, but seeing him was all it took to confuse her once again and bring back all those feelings of guilt she had been initially feeling.

Guilt because she had been stupid enough to stay with him and allow him to do the things he had done to her.  Guilt for hurting her friends and letting them down.  Guilt for her child’s death.  Because no matter how Justin or Trace or anyone else tried to deny it she was to blame for that as much as Cody was.

Granted she hadn’t physically taken part in it, but she might as well have.  She stayed when she should have left therefore it was as much her fault as it was his the way she seen it and no one could tell her any different.

But she was trying to put that behind her now.  She couldn’t do anything to change it and she would forever regret it and feel that guilt.  But at some point she had to move on with her life and try to make better, more conscious decisions.  And right now one of those decisions was to get as far away from Cody as she could, so he couldn’t confuse her or make her feel things she didn’t want to feel anymore.

Looking over at the guys as they put a few things into the cupboard Kerrigan spoke up.  “Maybe we should go out to the house in Cali.  Stay there for a while.  Ya know, just so we don’t have to worry about him bugging us.” she suggested.

Justin and Trace turned to look at her.

“You know that’s not a bad idea.” Trace stated.

“We can do that.  I mean if that’s what you want to do.” Justin offered.

“I just think it would be better.  We shouldn’t have to worry about running into him at the store or whatever and I know that you guys are going to worry about that.  And you won’t let me out of the house alone to go anywhere knowing he’s out there running around scott free at the moment.  And I can’t live like that, I need my freedom.  So maybe it would be best if we went out there.  And besides I haven’t even seen the house yet.  And you did have to halt your moving process for me, so I could help you get settled in and stuff.  It might be fun.  Plus, I’ve never really spent any real amount of time in Cali before, so we could scope things out.”

Justin nodded.  “Well, I’m up for it if that’s what you want to do.”

“Same here.” Trace agreed.

Kerrigan smiled, feeling a little better already.  “Then it’s settled.  We’re going to Cali.”
 
 
 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers