Author's Chapter Notes:
Rate: R ~ sexual themes & violence

Chapter 52
 

Authors Note:  The song used in this chapter didn’t come out till last year but that’s ok.  This is fiction, right?  So just go with it! lol
 

Trace wandered around the club trying to set his plan in motion.  If Justin wasn’t going to speak up on his own and do something about his feelings for Kerrigan, then by God, Trace was going do it for him.  He’d been suspicious of Justin’s feeling for Kerrigan for a long time now and to finally have a confirmation, well it gave him something to work with.

Before he hadn’t been positive as to what was going on inside Justin’s head or heart for that matter.  He didn’t know if Justin was just paying more attention to her because he had finally taken a closer look and realized she was no longer a little girl and seen what a beautiful woman she had grown into.  Or if it was more.  But now he knew.  It was definitely more.

And Trace was glad.  He had been waiting on Justin to come to that realization for a long time.  He’d always sensed that Kerrigan had a thing for Justin.  It was rather obvious at times, but he never said anything because he knew Kerrigan would deny it to the end.  And there really was no sense in pushing something that wasn’t there on both sides.  But now that he knew it was, he was going to push.  And he was going to push hard.

They were perfect for one another.  They knew everything about each other.  They’d always been there for each other.  And when it came to the other they didn’t give a crap what anyone else thought about their friendship.  It just made sense that Justin and Kerrigan should be together.  And that’s what Trace was going to make happen.

Walking over to the DJ Trace spoke with him briefly before turning and seeking out Kerrigan.  She was still seated at the table across the room with JC.  A smile spread across Trace’s face as he watched Kerrigan laugh at something JC had said.  He knew if he wanted to be an ass he could really piss Justin off and make him insanely jealous using JC, but he wasn’t about to do that.  He didn’t want to give Justin anymore reasons than he was sure Justin had created for himself to not go after Kerrigan.

Trace was positive Justin had already been over this in his mind.  Before Cody stood in the way and now he was probably making up some other excuse for why he couldn’t express his feelings to her.  Trace knew Justin well and he knew that Justin would prolong it until he couldn’t prolong it any further.  But that wasn’t an option for Trace.  He didn’t want to take the chance of Kerrigan meeting someone else and possibly falling for someone else.  He wanted to see Justin and Kerrigan together.  He wanted to see them happy and he was sure that they would make each other happy.  They always had before.

Making his way across the room, Trace walked up to the table JC and Kerrigan were seated at and sat down beside Kerrigan in an empty chair.  Both JC and Kerrigan looked at him oddly when he just sat there and didn’t say anything.

“Something wrong, Trace?” JC asked.

“Oh, no.  Everything’s cool.  I just thought I’d come and sit with ya’ll for a minute.” he lied, mentally trying to figure out how he was going to work the rest of his plan.

“Where’s Becca?” Kerrigan asked, noticing she wasn’t with Trace.

“Oh, um last time I seen her she was talking to Alyssa about some guy they both apparently know.” he shrugged.

“Oh, I see.  You didn’t wanna hear about ex boyfriends, huh?” Kerrigan teased.

Trace merely shrugged not really paying much attention to what Kerrigan had said.  He had other things on his mind.  Like how the hell he was going to get Kerrigan and Justin on the floor together.

He sat there for a few minutes while Kerrigan and JC continued their conversation, thinking about the many ways he could trick them into dancing with each other, but he knew that they would see through it.  Or at least Justin would after the conversation they’d had earlier.

Looking around Trace noticed Justin sitting at a table alone just across the dance floor from them.  He was watching Kerrigan and JC closely and appeared to be deep in thought.  There were no doubts in Trace’s mind that he was probably analyzing everything that JC and Kerrigan were doing to determine if there really was something going on between them.  That at least put a smile on his face.

And then he thought about it.  Justin had been whining about not spending any time with Kerrigan tonight and he was now sitting all by himself.  Not seeing Alyssa anywhere Trace decided to just go the direct route.  Or at least the semi direct route.

“Hey, Kerr.” Trace said to get her attention.

“Yeah?”

“Why don’t you go ask J, to dance.  He looks all lonely over there by himself.” Trace nodded towards Justin’s direction and as soon as they looked over at him, Justin quickly looked a different way.

“Where’d Alyssa go?  I thought they were hangin’ together.” Kerrigan asked, looking around.

Trace looked around as well and then spotted her and smiled.  This was just too easy.  “Well, looks like she found someone else to hang out with.” he said pointing to where Alyssa was snuggled up with some dark haired guy on the dance floor.

“Damn.  Timberlake was dumped again.” JC joked.

“JC…” Kerrigan scolded.  “I told you earlier they’re just friends.”

“I was only playin’.” he smiled.

“Mmmm hmmm.” Kerrigan smirked then turned her attention back to Trace.  “So why should I ask him to dance?  If he wanted to dance he’d be dancing.  We both know J’s not shy.”

“Well, honestly he mentioned earlier he was a little bummed that he hadn’t gotten to hang out with you much tonight.  So I think you should just go over and talk to him.  Ask him to dance.  He’s supposed to be celebrating not pouting at a table.”

Kerrigan rolled her eyes at Trace but relented.  “Fine.  I’ll go ask him to dance.  Happy?” she asked as she got up.

Trace smiled.  “Extremely.”

Kerrigan gave him a dirty look, she could sense he was up to something but had no clue what it could be.

Turning her back to the guys she began to make her way across the room towards Justin.  As soon as she was gone, Trace turned towards the DJ, who had been watching him for his signal since their talk.  Trace gave him a thumbs up and the DJ nodded.

“What are you up to, Trace?” JC questioned suspiciously.

“Watch and find out.” he said, watching Kerrigan closely.

Kerrigan walked over to Justin and he looked up at her somewhat surprised.  “Oh, I see you remembered I was here.” he said half joking.

“Oh, don’t be like that.  You were busy earlier.  Come on, let’s go dance.”  she said grabbing his arm and pulling him up from his chair.

“What if I don’t wanna dance?” Justin argued half heartedly.  He had to at least give her a little bit of a hard time after ignoring him for JC all night.  Or at least that’s the way he saw it.

“Too bad.  You’re dancing.” she said, giving him another tug towards the dance floor.

Justin smiled to himself and followed her lead.  They were ready to break into some kind of friendly grind session to whatever the DJ was about to play next, since the song that was playing was just going off.  But they were both surprised when the slower beats leaked through the sound system.
 

Yeah baby

He told you he could be the man that I could never be
He has a way of making promises that he can't keep
He gets so angry when I try to point this out
And still it's you who's always calling me this late at night
I know you miss the way I used to hold your body tight
You needed me girl but you’d never say it

If you love him more just tell me so
(tell me so)
But do one thing for me before you go
 

Justin looked at Kerrigan questioningly.  “You still wanna dance?”

“This is fine.  What are you scared to be that close to me?” she teased.

“We’d have been closer the other way.” he smirked at her knowingly.

Kerrigan laughed, rolling her eyes at him.

Justin pulled Kerrigan to his chest wrapping his arms around her waist as she wrapped hers around his neck.  He smiled down at her before pulling her closer so her head rested on his shoulder and resting his chin on the top of her head.
 

Open your eyes

Girl if it's love
Why can't you sleep at night
Open your eyes
Why don't you tremble when he holds you tight
If it's the last thing that I ever do
Let me make this clear to you
Open up your eyes
Don't be blinded by his promises
Open your eyes
The one he says isn't who he is
There's more to us than you realize
So open your eyes

As Justin listened to the lyrics of the song he thought about his feelings for Kerrigan.  He wasn’t sure who sang the song, as he’d never heard it before, but he couldn’t help but think that the song fit them almost perfectly.

He thought back over the months of the past year.  From the time Kerrigan had met Cody and started dating him to the present.  How he’d been immediately jealous of the things that were going on between the two.  The way Cody had looked at Kerrigan and after they had gotten together the way he touched her.  It was how he had wanted to be with her, even if he never admitted it to himself he’d known then that he loved her.

He’d known then that she was the person he wanted to be with, but he had been scared.  And then things had happened so fast and before he knew it Kerrigan’s heart had been given to another.  And the whole time he had been praying she would just open her eyes and see that it was him that she belonged with.
 

I know our history is something that we can't ignore
Just give me half the chance I'll make it better than before
Worse thing I did was give you wings to fly away
And if it's yesterday that keeps your heart from coming home
Girl I apologize for all the things that I've done wrong
To lose your love would be a price too high to pay

He can't love you more than I do
Girl don't let his sweet lies blind you
 

Trace watched with eager eyes as Justin and Kerrigan continued to dance together.  He could see the thoughtful expression on Justin’s face and knew that he was thinking about things.  This song was perfect and Trace knew it.  If anything would help Justin realize where his heart lied and what he needed to do, he was sincerely hoping this would be it.

JC looked from Justin and Kerrigan to Trace.  You couldn’t miss the excited, eager look on Trace’s face.  The boy was up to something and it was obvious.  “Trace, what did you do?” he questioned.

“Shhhh.” Trace waved him off.  “Just watch.”
 

Open your eyes
Girl if it's love
Why can't you sleep at night
Open your eyes
Why don't you tremble when he holds you tight
If it's the last thing that I ever do
Let me make this clear to you
Open up your eyes
Don't be blinded by his promises
Open your eyes
The one he says isn't who he is
There's more to us than you realize
Just open your eyes

Kerrigan smiled to herself when she felt Justin’s hold tighten around her slightly.  She always felt so safe with him.  Even in her darkest moment of fear, he was always there and he always made her feel safe and loved.

She knew that the love she had felt for him for so long would never be returned in the same way, but just knowing that he did love her in some form was enough to get her through anything.  He was her rock.  Her foundation.  Her strength.

And as long as he was a part of her life she knew she would be able to make it through anything.  Regardless.
 

Oh no
Every night
I say a lonely prayer that you
Wake up and find
My love is waiting here
 

Justin’s heart was racing in his chest.  Just holding her in his arms was the most blissful thing he had ever experienced.  It was better than the feeling of hearing his song on the radio.  It was better than the rush of performing.  It was better than anything he had ever felt before.  Nothing could top holding Kerrigan in his arms.  Nothing at all.
 

Open your eyes
Yeah baby
If it's the last thing that I ever do
Let me make this clear to you
Open up your eyes
Don't be blinded by his promises
Open your eyes
The one he says isn't who he is
There's more to us than you realize
Open your eyes
Oh, open your eyes
Just open your eyes

As the final notes of the song played out through the speakers Justin pulled back from their embrace slightly.  Kerrigan looked up at him, a slight smile on her face and he was mesmerized.  She was so beautiful.

And not just in the physical way.  She was one of the most incredible people he’d ever known and that was a part of her beauty.  The way she looked at him with so much trust in her eyes after everything she had been through.  It was all so overwhelming and he could no longer fight the urge.

Leaning down Justin gently captured Kerrigan’s lips with his, kissing her.  Kissing her with every fiber of his heart and soul.  He loved her and at that particular moment he didn’t care who knew.

( “Open Your Eyes”  Nick Lachey )
 
 
 
 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers