Author's Chapter Notes:
Rate: R ~ sexual themes & violence

Chapter 57
 

Justin and Trace stood in the drive way and watched as Kerrigan was loaded into the back of an ambulance and then it slowly pulled away.  She would be taken to the hospital to be checked out before being taken to the station for further questioning.

Meanwhile, Justin was on the verge of a nervous breakdown.  It was everything he could do to restrain himself from yelling out that he had actually shot Cody.  He had attempted to speak up a few times, but had been silenced by either Kerrigan or Trace.

And the fact that they had no idea what was going to happen to Kerrigan only made things worse for him.  He was fighting an internal battle.  Could he really let her take the blame for something he had done, just to protect his career?

He knew Kerrigan was right.  If word got out that he had actually been the one to shoot Cody, that could quite possibly ruin his career.  But Justin also knew he was going to be linked to this story anyway.  People knew who Kerrigan was.  They knew she was one of his best friends, that he had grown up with her.  And there was no way he was going to avoid her and whatever was going to happen next.  So he didn’t really see the point in lying about it.  He was still involved no matter how you looked at it.

Turning to Trace Justin cleared his throat.  “I can’t do this, Trace.  I can’t let her take the blame for something I did.”

“J, don’t be stupid.  We’re already in too deep.  If we changed our stories now it would make them suspicious and cause more problems.”

“Trace, they’re taking her to jail.  Kerrigan.  Our Kerrigan.  They’re taking her to jail for something I DID!”

“Would you lower your voice!“ Trace warned.  “Besides, they’re taking her down for questioning.  They never said they were going to keep her.”

Justin threw his hands up in the air and began pacing.  “I don’t understand how you can be so calm about this.  We don’t know what’s going to happen to her.  We don’t know anything!  And we’re just standing here.  Letting her take the blame for something I did.”

“I’m calm because somebody needs to be.  You clearly aren’t.  And this was Kerrigan’s idea, J.  She wants to do this, so you should let her.” he paused.  “I mean who in their right might would prosecute her.  LOOK AT HER!  You’ve seen the shit he’s done to her.  It’s on record in Florida.  He wasn’t even supposed to leave Florida.  Everything points to Cody being in the wrong.  You need to have a little faith man, everything’s going to work out.”

“Well, I’m sorry if it’s a little hard for me to be optimistic right now.  I just killed a man and let the cops take my friend away for doing it.” Justin said, shaking his head in annoyance.

“Look Justin, I know you’re upset.  I’m upset too.  But Kerrigan’s doing this to protect you.  You protected her, now let her return the favor.  I know it’s hard on your conscious.  Hell, it’s hard on mine.  But the simple fact of the matter is that Cody’s dead.  And someone’s gotta take the blame for it.  And even though I hate to say it, it’s better that Kerrigan does.  He’s beat her.  He’s done awful things to her.  She’s got a much better chance at getting off from this.  You on the other hand, all you can say is you were protecting her.  This is the smart thing to do.  So stop fighting yourself about it.”

“I just….” Justin started to protest but Trace cut him off.

“Seriously, J.  This is what she wants.  She feels like she owes you.  You know she already feels guilty as it is, don’t make her feel any worse.  In the long run this is better for everyone.  You won’t go to jail and Kerrigan can clear her conscious a little bit.”

Justin sighed and looked around the driveway.  He still didn’t feel secure in what they were doing, but Trace was right.  This is what Kerrigan wanted and Justin knew that if he went against her it would only make matters worse.  She would feel extremely guilty and God only knew what that would do to her.  She was already dealing with so much and if he could relieve any of that burden then he would do it.  Even if that meant going along with her ridiculous plan.

Looking back to meet Trace’s eyes, Justin nodded his agreement.  He didn’t speak, he only nodded.  Because at the moment he just couldn’t form any words.

Trace reached out and grasped Justin’s shoulder, giving it a firm squeeze.  “Now that we’ve got that settled, why don’t we head over to the hospital and check on Kerrigan.  We should also call your Attorney and get him to meet us down at the station.  So she has all the legal council she needs.”

“Oh, she’ll have the best legal council.  You can count on that.”
 



 

( A few hours later at the hospital )

Justin and Trace sat in the hallway of the hospital awaiting word on what was going on.  They’d been there for a few hours.  Doctors, as well as Detectives had been in and out of Kerrigan’s room several times.  While Justin and Trace were refused admittance, being told that Kerrigan was in custody and they weren’t permitted to see her.

The Police however had allowed Justin’s Attorney into the room, seeing as he was her legal council and it was driving both Trace and Justin crazy not knowing what was going on.

Both guys looked up when they heard someone calling their names to see Becca walking quickly in their direction.  “I’ve been looking all over this damn place for you.”

Trace jumped up and pulled his girlfriend into a tight embrace as soon as she was within reach.  “Thanks for coming.” he said solemnly into her hair.  He had called her an hour before, hoping that perhaps since she was a pre law student she could help him and Justin figure out what was going on inside the room.  And because he knew Becca and Kerrigan were friends and she would want to know what was going on.

“Of course.” Becca said, returning his embrace.  “Have you heard anything yet?  About her condition or what’s happening?” she asked, as they pulled away from their embrace.

“We haven’t heard a thing.  They won’t tell us anything, just that we’re not aloud in the room.  Johnny hasn’t even been out to tell us anything since he went in there.” Trace said, sitting back down in his plastic chair.

Becca sat down beside Trace.  “Johnny?” she questioned.

“Cochran.  He’s one of Justin’s Attorney’s and we figured he’s be the best to call in for something like this.” Trace replied, leaning his head back against the wall.

“You’ve got Johnny Cochran working for you?” Becca asked in disbelief.

Justin looked over at her a little annoyed with her questioning.  “Why not?  He’s one of the best in his field and Kerrigan isn’t getting anything but the best.  If anyone can help her, he can.”

“I didn’t mean it like that, Justin.” Becca sighed.  She knew he didn’t mean to snap at her, he was obviously distraught over everything that was going on.  “It’s just that Johnny’s an incredible Attorney and for someone in my position, well we look up to him that’s all.”

Justin ran his hands over his face.  “Sorry, Bec.  I didn’t mean to bite your head off.  I’m just…” he trailed off.

“No need to explain, I understand completely, J.  But like you said, if anyone can help her, it’s Johnny.  I’m sure he’s got everything under control.  So try not to worry too much.  He’s very good at what he does and if anyone can get her off, it’s him.”  Becca tried to assure him.

“Yeah….I’m sure you’re right.” Justin sighed, leaning back into his chair, closing his eyes.

The trio sat there quietly for what seemed like forever.  Hopelessly trying to distract themselves with the Nurses and Doctors that were rushing up and down the halls of the hospital.  But they all sat upright in their seats when the door to Kerrigan’s room opened and people started  pouring out.

Justin was on his feet in a millisecond, looking for Johnny, hoping to get some information on what was going on.  He wasn’t prepared to see Kerrigan being escorted from the room though.  “What’s going on ?” he asked, trying to get to his friend.

“Please stand back sir.” one of the police officers said, placing himself between Justin and Kerrigan.

“What’s going on?  Where are you taking her?  I need to talk to her.” Justin argued, trying to get past the officer.

“Sir, please stand back.” the officer stated again.

“NO!  I need to talk to her…” Justin argued, again trying to push past the office, this time however he was restrained and pushed back by two officers.

Kerrigan looked over at Justin and gave him the best smile she could muster, even though she was completely terrified.  “It’s ok, J.  Everything’s fine.  I’m fine, just calm down.” she said as she was lead away from him.

“Where are you taking her?  What the hell’s going on?” Justin demanded, trying to break free from the officers.

“Justin, calm down.” Trace instructed, knowing that if Justin didn’t get his emotions in check he was going to get his ass arrested.

“I wanna know what’s going on!” Justin demanded, ignoring Trace.

“She’s being taken to the Police Station, Justin.” Johnny said, as he appeared beside him.  He looked at the officers.  “It’s ok, he’s with me, you can back off.” he told them and the two officers did as he said, following the other officers down the hall as they lead Kerrigan out of the hospital.

“What the fuck is going on?  What do you mean they’re taking her to the Police Station?” Justin growled, starting to head off down the hall to follow Kerrigan.

Johnny quickly stopped Justin.  “Have a seat, we need to talk.” he instructed.

Justin looked at Johnny wearily, unsure of what he was about to be told, but he had the distinct feeling he wasn’t going to like it one bit.  But he followed Johnny’s instructions all the same and sat back down in his plastic chair.

“Kerrigan, is being charged for Murder in the Second Degree.” he stated.

“WHAT?” Justin cried, jumping to his feet again.

“Hold up, calm down, Justin.  SIT!” Johnny pointed to the chair before Justin could take off again.

Once again, Justin followed Johnny’s instructions and sat back down.  “I don’t understand.” he said shaking his head.  “Did you see her?  Did you see what he did to her?  How could they charge her with Murder when he did THAT to her?”

“Yes, Justin I seen her and all of her injuries.  I also seen the Medical report, and so did the Detectives.  Trust me that will be taken into consideration, but this is protocol.  This is the law, they have to take her into custody, she killed a man.”

“No.” Justin groaned.  “It wasn’t supposed to go this way.  They were supposed to let her go because of what he did to her.”

Johnny eyed Justin, suspecting there was more to what he was grumbling about than he had been told so far.  But he knew that the prying walls of the Hospital was no place to ask those questions, so for now he would just inform him of what was going to happen and he would ask questions later.

“I’ll ask you what you mean by that later, but for now what you need to be aware of is the fact that she’s broken the law.  It doesn’t matter that she did it in self defense, although that will be taken into consideration and all of the evidence will be considered, she still killed someone Justin.  And by law she has to be detained and taken into the station.  She’ll be arraigned tomorrow morning and possibly have a bond set.  I’m going to seek that.  I’m going to request that since she has no prior record and it was in self defense and considering the circumstances that she be released into your custody until the trial.”

“Trial?” Trace questioned, this was all going over his head.  This whole situation had gotten way out of hand and wasn’t going anything like what he thought it would go.  He figured they’d release her and let her go.  He had no idea they’d actually arrest her and take her to jail.

Johnny turned his attention to Trace.  “Yes, a trial.  All of the evidence has to be looked at and the best place for that is a trial, in front of a Jury of her peers.  It used to be that self defense cases like this were easily dismissed, but now days so many people claim self defense that the likelihood of that happening is very slim.  It will more than likely go to trial.  But I’m confident that when all of the evidence is presented that she will be released.  She has the injuries to back up her statement, not to mention the attack in Florida that was to go to Trial next week.  That all works in her favor, but in the mean time we have to follow the laws and basic protocol.”

“But what if they won’t release her to my custody?  How long is she going to be in jail?  This could take months, years even.  I’ve seen this stuff on TV.  Kerrigan, doesn’t deserve to be in jail.  She can’t go to jail!”  Justin cried, he was losing it and losing it fast.

“Justin, I understand she’s your friend and you’re upset, but unfortunately we have no choice but to go with the flow.  There’s nothing more we can do until tomorrow.  I wish there was, because it honestly makes me sick that she’s being detained especially in her condition, but there’s nothing I can do about it tonight.  I can only be there in the morning at her arraignment and try to get her released to your custody.”

“What about her injuries?  You said you seen the Medical report?” Becca finally spoke up.  She had been absorbing everything Johnny had been saying, being somewhat familiar with what portion of the laws she had reviewed in school so far.

“Well, as you all seen she was really banged up.  She has a couple broken ribs, a total of 108 stitches in her back from all the cuts and glass that was removed.  Not to mention all of the bruising and everything else.  But fortunately the only severe injuries is the broken ribs.  She’ll make a full recovery, but obviously the place for that is not in jail.  I think the Judge will take that into consideration.”

Becca nodded, leaning back into her chair.  She hadn’t known Kerrigan when she had went through the first attack, but Kerrigan had told her about it.  She couldn’t imagine everything Kerrigan had been through in the last few months and she prayed that the Judge would take all of that into consideration, because she knew her friend did not deserve to be sitting in a jail cell.  Not after everything Cody had done to her and put her through.  She needed to be at home, with her friends where she could recover and try to move past all of this.

“So what do we do now?” Justin asked, not really wanting to hear the answer because if it wasn’t that they were going to pick her up right at that moment, he didn’t really want to hear it.

“We meet at the courthouse tomorrow morning at 8:30 for her arraignment.  There’s nothing more we can do tonight.  And seeing as it’s really late and we have to be at the courthouse in just a few short hours, I suggest you go home, get cleaned up and try to get some rest if possible.”

“Yeah, rest.” Justin scoffed.  “Like that’s possible.”

Johnny placed a hand on Justin’s shoulder, looking him directly in the eyes.  “I can see that she means a great deal to you Justin and I promise you I’ll do everything in my powers to help her.  Kerrigan, is a sweet girl.  I know I haven’t gotten to talk to her all that much in the past, but I know she doesn’t deserve this and I can assure you I’ll do everything I can to help her.  But I need you to back me up here.  You can’t go acting insane and blowing up.  That won’t help her at all.  So just let me do my job.”

Justin nodded.  “I know you will, Johnny.  You’re the best at this, that’s why I called you.  Nothing but the best for my Kerrigan.  Nothing but the best.”
 
 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers