Epilogue

( January 10, 2003 ~ Kerrigan’s Trial )

Kerrigan sat beside Johnny in the courtroom.  They were waiting on the verdict and had been for a couple of hours.  Hours that seemed to be passing as slowly as possible, which wasn’t helping Kerrigan’s nerves in the least.

The whole thing had been drug out in court.  Her relationship with Cody from the moment she had met him, up to the very end.  The abuse.  Everything.

They had reviewed all of the evidence.  Pictures of her beaten body after the last attack.  Medical records and documents from the attack in Florida.  They had called several witnesses, such as Trace and Justin to testify to both attacks.  And they had even called upon Chris to testify about the time he had seen Cody hit Kerrigan on the last night of their tour.

They had gone over every last detail with a fine tooth comb.  And although Kerrigan couldn’t honestly see someone putting her behind bars after everything she had been through and all the evidence of that, that had been presented to them, she still couldn’t help but to be nervous.  The next few years of her life hung in the hands of these people that she didn’t even know.  How could she not be nervous?  Anyone in their right mind would be.

Kerrigan turned in her seat to glance back at Justin.  He gave her a comforting smile and although she could tell he meant it, she could still see the worry in his eyes.  The uncertainty.

They had spent the entire day and night before wrapped up in each others arms, locked away in the bedroom.  Not so much really talking about the day to follow, but both thinking about it.  Taking full advantage of the time they had together on the chance that something would happen to go wrong.

But that private time was now over and they had to face the music.  Literally.

Kerrigan was pulled from her thoughts at the sudden noise of the jurors and judge returning to the courtroom.  She wasn’t sure how she had missed the bailiffs announcement, but she figured it wasn’t important.

This was the moment of truth.  This is where she would get the answers to the agonizing questions that had been plaguing her since November.  This was it.

Kerrigan sat up straighter in her chair, glancing over at Johnny whom gave her a reassuring smile while squeezing her hand for support.

Meanwhile seated behind Kerrigan, Justin and Trace both sat slightly forward in their seats.  Justin was fully prepared to protest any negative verdict.

He and Trace had unanimously agreed that should Kerrigan be found guilty, Justin was going to confess.  There was no way in hell he could allow her to go to prison for something he had done.  He didn’t care what kind of problems it caused or what he lost based on his confession.  All he cared about was Kerrigan and there was no way he was going to stand back and allow her to take the fall for something he had done.

The courtroom was eerily quiet as the Jude rustled through some papers on his bench before turned to the Jury, asking if they had reached their decision.

The female spokesperson for the Jury panel stood, stating that they had come to a verdict.  The Judge then instructed her to read the verdict.

Holding the paper before her she read the verdict.   “In case number 23895, the state of California verses Kerrigan Wallace.  We the Jury find that due to the compelling evidence to support the claim of self defense that the defendant is found not guilty of murder in the second degree.”

The courtroom erupted into cheers of support, Kerrigan immediately relaxing in her chair as tears filled her eyes.  They had found her not guilty.  They weren’t going to send her to prison.  The relief that was coursing through her body could in no way be explained or measured.

Justin and Trace simultaneously released sighs of relief.  Chris grinning his happiness has he patted Justin comfortingly on his back.

Kerrigan turned in her seat to glance at Justin.  The relief and happiness on his face on proved to relax Kerrigan more.  This was it, it was finally over.  She could finally put Cody and everything that revolved around him behind her and move on with her life.

Move on with her life with Justin.  No more worries of what might happen or how they were going to deal with it.  Only the happy thoughts that now they could just be.  No worries other than the normal day to day worries.  They could now just be together and love each other.  Which was the only thing that either of them really wanted.
 



 

( A year and a half later ~ May 7, 2004 )

Kerrigan and Justin sat side by side amongst their friends and family in the VIP section of the House of Blues in Chicago.  They were there to see JC’s show.  He had just released his solo album a couple months prior and they had come out that night to see the kick off of his summer tour.

JC had just finished an up tempo song titled “Come To Me” and they were all reeling with excitement for him.  His show was totally different from that of which Justin had put on the year before during his solo tour with Christina Aguilera.  But regardless they loved it.  It was a nice change of pace and Justin was happy to just be sitting in the audience for a change.

The last year had been an exciting one.  Not only had he toured both the US but he’d also been over to Europe twice to tour over there.  Of course taking Kerrigan with him for the ride.

Their relationship was still going strong and they were more in love than ever.  All of their past misfortunes and challenges put behind them.  They were now only focusing on being together and living their lives as happily as they could.

Their attention was once again called to the stage as JC took a quick gulp from a water bottle and then addressed the audience.  Paying special attention to the VIP area above, seeing his two friends seated at the table beside his parents with Chris, Trace, Becca and Lance.

“This next song I wrote for a couple friends of mine.  It’s perfect for them in every way.  You know who you are.” he smiled up at them as the thumpy beats of “Right Here” began to flow through the club.
 

Yeah...

Tell me how long
(How long)
Were we together, before we got together, oh...
Tell me how strong
(How strong)
Have we gone together, since we've been together, oh...
 

Justin turned and looked at Kerrigan.  She was staring at him, her beautiful smile illuminating her face.  Neither of them spoke however, they merely turned their attention back to the stage and to JC.  Allowing the words he had written, especially for them, and the meaning to sink further into their hearts.
 

See, I don't care what people say
No one else has ever made me feel the way you do

Think about it, it just make sense
We already know everything about us, oh...
 

Trace, Chris and Lance glanced at each other after hearing that verse.  All silently agreeing with their eyes that this song couldn’t be anymore true.  Kerrigan and Justin were perfect for each other.  And they were all emphatically happy that they’d finally figured out their feelings and were now together.  The last year of the two of them being together had been a year that none of them would soon forget.
 

Girl, I’ll be right here by your side
(By your side)
Give you all the love I’ve got to give
I’m swimming in your eyes
Love will blow out all the lights
(All the lights)
And I will keep you satisfied through the night
 

Justin glanced back over at Kerrigan, watching her as her eyes followed JC across the stage as he continued to sing their song.

His heart swelled with love for her.  Never in his life had he ever experienced a love so strong.  He thought he had found that with Britney, but he knew now that what he had with her never could have compared to what he has with Kerrigan.

And because of that knowledge, that was why he had every intention of asking Kerrigan to marry him later that evening.  Yes, he was going to ask her to spend the rest of her life with him.  Because Justin didn’t even want to think about having to spend one day without her ever again.  He loved her more than anything in the world and he was fully intent on spending every day of the rest of his life with her.  Right there by her side.
 

The End.


Completed
grafixchic is the author of 3 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 19 members. Members who liked A Closer Look also liked 315 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers