“I’m scared Josh but at the same time I know I probably have nothing to fear.” Becca said as they pulled into the driveway. “You heard what the police said. He only attacks certain people. Usually people nearing their thirties.”

“Yes but they also said that he’s getting bolder. He’s targeting younger people especially younger women. Becca I want you to stay with Jordyn and Nick until I think it’s safe.”

“I’m not a child Jc I can take care of myself.” Becca said. Jc sighed as they went back into the house. Howie had taken AJ and Justin to his place. Jc and Becca silently went upstairs and got ready for bed.

“I’m just scared for you is all.” Jc said. “Believe me Becca I wouldn’t be worried about it if it weren’t for the fact that this guy seems to stop at nothing to get to his victims. I just don’t want to lose my wife. Especially since she’s only eighteen.” He kissed her. “I’ll drop you off at Jordyn and Nick’s tomorrow morning on my way to work. You can feed the rabbits early can’t you?”

“Yes.” Becca said kissing him back and placing on arm around him.

“You’re wearing that nightgown I bought you aren’t you.” Jc said looking at her. Becca smiled.

“Yes I am.”

“It looks nice on you.”

“My mother always said never waste money on these though.”

“Why’s that?”

“She said that men will say the same thing every time. ‘It is very nice - now take it off.’ Best bit of advice that woman ever gave me. Only bit of advice.”

“Well she was right.”

“Not tonight Josh.” Jc pouted.

“I guess it’s true about not getting any when you’re married.” Becca slapped him playfully.

“I give you plenty. I would just prefer not to do it on a night when a people who live near us have been brutally killed by a madman.” Kissing Jc again Becca snuggled into the sheets and closed her eyes.

“Night Becca.”

“Night Jc.”

*

“Okay you’ve got to be kidding.” Jordyn said exasperatedly as Jc dropped Becca off. “She doesn’t need a baby sitter. She’s perfectly capable of taking care of herself.”

“We just want to make sure you girls will be safe.” Nick said. “We don’t want to lose our girls to a serial killer or at all for that matter. Don’t worry this will only be till the killer is caught.”

“Which could be never.” Jordyn said irritably. She wasn’t into the whole idea to begin with but being pregnant had made her emotions run high, especially her temper.

“They’ll catch him eventually.” Nick reasoned. “The FBI and police are working really hard on catching this guy.”

“They worked hard on catching the Zodiac killer and they have yet to find that guy.” Becca pointed out. “And it took decades to find the Green River killer.” Jordyn and Nick looked at Becca who shrugged. “Just saying.”

“It’s not that Becca.” Jordyn said. “You seem to know a lot about serial killers.” Again Becca shrugged.

“I had kind of a sick twisted sense of humor as a teenager.” She said. “When you spend as much time alone as I did you need to find things that will occupy your time. For me it was researching things - particularly violent crimes.

“Well anyways you just make yourself comfortable Becca.” Nick said. “Feel free to do whatever.”

And so the next couple of weeks plodded along like that. The routine became Becca would come in the morning and leave in the evening. Jordyn and Becca often spent a lot of time together talking, watching TV, walking, eating, and doing things that most people in modern society do. Nick of course felt the need to be around them twenty-four seven which greatly annoyed Jordyn but Becca eventually learned to just ignore Nick’s presence. Jordyn meanwhile was swelling up like a balloon and was not enjoying it in the least bit. She wanted those kids out and the sooner the better.

“I think I’ll call them parasite one and parasite two.” She commented a few times.

*

“Damn I forgot.” Nick muttered one day. Becca and Jordyn were in the living room playing a board game.

“What now?” Jordyn asked.

“I need to get more horse feed.” Nick said. “Listen you two stay here. I’ll be back in twenty minutes.” He said running out to his truck and starting it up.

“Finally some alone time.” Jordyn said exasperatedly, sitting back in her chair. “Honestly I know he’s worried what with a killer on the loose but I don’t see the point in him worrying about me and needing to watch my every move. I can take care of myself. Isn’t that right parasites?” She patted her bump before stopping herself. “I didn’t just do that did I?”

“You did.” Becca said. Jordyn groaned.

“Great. Now I’m turning into one of those psycho moms.”

“That’s not a bad thing.” Becca said. “You care about them don’t you?”

“Well duh, they are carrying part of my DNA.” Jordyn said.

“Well then since you do it makes perfect sense that you would want to talk to them even if they are still in utero.” Becca pointed out.

“Yeah, yeah. I just want these thing ou-“ Jordyn stopped. There had been an odd noise from outside.

“What was that?” Becca said looking up slightly afraid.

“Just relax.” Jordyn told her sinking back into her chair. “It was probably just one of the horses. Anyway I wanted to ask you what you thought about this idea I’ve been meaning to take up with the guys. Howie, Nick, and Jc specifically.”

“What is it?” Becca asked. She was still slightly creeped out by the noise outside but she relaxed a bit.

“Well I was thinking about getting them to start a group of some kind. You know go into music together instead of solo?” Jordyn said. “They’ve all got the vocal skill and they can all write music pretty well. It makes sense doesn’t it?”

“I guess it does.” Becca said thoughtfully. “Hang on let me go grab a drink. I’m thirsty. Do you want anything?”

“Soda. Cold sweet soda.” Jordyn said. Becca smiled and nodded and went over to the kitchen to go grab it. She had just finished pouring the drinks into glasses and was carrying them out to the living room when she screamed and dropped them sending glass and soda everywhere. Right there in front of her was a man. He was wretched looking and appeared to have not bathed for weeks. In his hand he was holding a knife.

“Who are you?” She screamed. “Get out!” Jordyn appeared in the doorway behind him. Becca didn’t think he had noticed her. The man said nothing but took a step forward the knife raised. Becca screamed again and ran. He took off after her but slipped and cut himself on the broken glasses and spilled soda. Seizing this opportunity Becca and Jordyn ran from the house.

“Do you have your cell phone with you?” Jordyn yelled as they got out. Jordyn was great deal slower due to the pregnancy but they had managed to get out and behind the house. They could hear the man searching the house. They wouldn’t have much longer before he found them. Becca nodded and handed it to Jordyn who dialed 911.

“What are we going to do?” Becca whispered frantically. Jordyn shushed her and began talking quickly to the 911 dispatcher. As she talked she took Becca’s hand and led her as fast as she could to the stables. There they hid in one of the empty stalls. They could still hear the man. And from the sounds of it he was now outside having given up on finding them inside.

“Becca it’s going to be fine. Now calm down and try to stay quiet.” Jordyn hissed. A couple minutes later they could hear sirens approaching as well as Nick’s voice yelling something like ‘what the hell is going on?’ Then they could hear heavy breathing and footsteps approaching. Becca clamped a hand over her mouth to keep from crying out. Jordyn slowly reached over and grabbed whatever was closest to her so that she could be ready.

Then the stall door burst open and the man stormed in grabbing Jordyn by the neck and slamming her against the wall slowly strangling her. He was just about to succeed when he let out not one but two cries of pain and dropped her back onto the ground. Thankfully it was covered with about a foot of hay so it was a soft landing. When Jordyn looked at what happened she saw a police officer with a tazer handcuffing the man and Becca standing in the corner with a determined look on her face. Judging from the misplaced coffee can that held a large amount of rusty pieces of metal and the large goose egg on the would-be killer’s head Jordyn put two and two together and figured out what happened.

“Oh god, are you two okay?” Nick asked running over to Jordyn.

“We’re fine now Nick calm down.” Jordyn said. “But we’re probably going to have a huge mess to deal with in the house.”

“Yeah.” Nick said. “Come on the docs want to take a look at you to make sure the babies are okay.” Reluctantly Jordyn got into the ambulance and went to the hospital. Jc came to pick up Becca a few minutes later.

“Well on the bright side that bastard won’t be able to hurt anyone for a long time.” Justin said over dinner. They had released Jordyn from the hospital within less than an hour. She had suffered some bruising but she was fine otherwise. Becca had scraped her knee when running and got her feet cut a bit on the broken glass but she was also just fine.

“Yes and I now don’t need to be baby sat constantly.” Jordyn said triumphantly. “Same with you Becca.”

“Yes. I look forward to not having to worry about killers on the loose again.” Becca said.

“Oh and before I forget.” Jordyn said. “Nick, Jayce, Howie? I want to talk to you all later after dinner.”

“Okay.” Jc said. “What about?”

“Music.” Jordyn said.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story