Nick was out taking care of the animals. He took his time cleaning the stalls, checking up on the horses in the field, feeding the ones in the barn, then feeding the barn cats and Busta. He heads back inside showering, also taking his time, and dressing into casual clothes. He walks into the kitchen beginning to fix dinner. He sees the answering machine and listens to the message.

“Nick your girlfriend went into labor early this afternoon.” Nick spits his soda all over the counter. “She took herself to the hospital. Howie and me are going to drive up there and stay with her. The others will come by at 6 when they get off work. I hope you get this soon because I know Jordyn loves you and wants you to be with her. Bye Nick.” Nick puts his soda on the counter top and looks at the clock. It was seven already! He screams and runs out to his truck.

*

Jordyn was doing a natural birth.

“Ow, ow, ow, ow, ow, ow, ow, ow.” Howie whimpers. Jordyn who was breathing calmly was holding his hand tightly. Her water broke around one that afternoon, and it has been hours since then. The doctor said she was getting close.

“If we can’t get the kids out the natural way, we are going to have to have a c-section.” She just wanted them out. The contraction ends and Howie stands in the corner counting his fingers. Joey sits down next to Jordyn.

“You’re doing great kid.” Jordyn nods and drops her head back. “Nick will be here.” A tear rolls down her face.

“I left a message before Howie got me. I don’t know what he is doing.” Becca was standing in Jc’s arms.

“Well all I know is he hasn’t been talking with any of us for a while now.” Joey pets Jordyn’s head. “Two months to be exact.”

“He probably doesn’t care anymore.” Jordyn says quietly. “I’m going to have his kids and I’ll never see him again.”

“You don’t know that.” AJ says. “Anyways I’m going to be in the waiting room just in case.”

“Me too.” Justin and AJ leave kissing Jordyn good luck. Howie gives Jordyn a kiss on the head then leaves as well. He has a weak stomach.

“Who do you want in the room Jordyn?” She looks at Jc then back at her large baby bump.

“I just want Nick here.” More tears fall and Joey hands her a tissue and she wipes her eyes and nose.

“I’ll stay Jordyn. You two go wait outside.” Joey and Becca nod. Becca kisses Jc quickly before leaving the room. Jc sits down and holds onto Jordyn’s hand, another contraction forming.

*

Nick speeds into the parking lot, not able to find a space that is close to the hospital. He has to park far away and run around to the main doors.

“Where is the place where ladies go when they are in labor?” He bends over panting.

“Upstairs-” She points and isn’t able to finish. Nick takes off down the hall and rushes into the elevator jumping up and down for the damn machine to go faster. He runs out and reaches the waiting room where everyone is.

“Nick!” Becca cries out hugging him. Nick is completely out of breath.

“I knew you would show up.” Joey says patting his back.

“I was… out in the field… working all day… then I shower and… the message…!” Joey chuckles.

“Hey man she really wants to see you. She’s down the hall in room 305 with Jc.” Nick nods and smiles.

“I’m gonna be a daddy.”

“Yeah, now move!” Nick runs down the hall and nearly passes it. He pushes the door open and Jordyn looks up.

“Nick!” The doctors were getting her ready to deliver.

“Oh baby I’m so sorry!” He walks over and kisses her hard holding her face. “Please forgive me!”

“Lets talk once the kids are out okay?” Nick nods and Jc laughs.

“Okay you two help hold her legs apart.” Jc and Nick look at each other funny.

“Do it!” Jordyn screams. They both take a leg and hold them apart. Jc looks at the window and shuts his eyes. Nick looks at Jordyn.

*

After an hour of pushing the kids aren’t budging. Nick is worried. “We are going to have to do a c-section then.” Nick goes wide-eyed.

“You have to cut her open?” He yells his voice high pitched.

“Nick calm down they warned me about this.” She is sweating and panting. Nick nods and they set her up and roll her from the room.

“I’m going in there with you baby.” He holds onto her hand and they push her down the hall.

“I wouldn’t want anyone else.” She smiles. He leans down and kisses her. Nick is told to follow the nurse so he can scrub up. He watches as Jordyn is pushes into the room and she waves.

“I’ll go with you Nick.” Nick nods and clings to Jc as the nurse takes them to get scrubbed up. They go into the OR and Nick and Jc stand on either side of Jordyn.

“This should be fun.” Jordyn says slightly annoyed. Jc crosses his arms.

“You won’t feel anything this time, so be happy.” The mask muffles Jc voice. Nick leans down uncovering his face kissing her quickly before covering it back up, getting a glare from a nurse. Jordyn smiles.

“I love you Nick.”

“I love you too.” His voice is also muffled.

“Making the first incision.” Jordyn shuts her eyes breathing slowly. Nick and Jc watch. After a while Jordyn hears a baby crying. “It’s a boy!”

“Tyler.” Nick walks around and cuts the cord. “Tyler Levi Carter.” After Jordyn’s late twin brother.

“Very nice name.” A nurse says writing it down and the time of birth, 8:13 pm. The doctor nods and goes in for the second one. Nick goes back to Jordyn.

“Our first kid is out.” Jordyn smiles. Jc stares at Jordyn’s guts.

“Damn your insides are gross.” Another scream is heard.

“It’s a girl.” Nick goes back over cutting the cord for her.

“Angelica Glenn Carter.” The nurse nods writing it down as well as 8:15 pm. Nick is handed a clean baby boy and he goes over showing him to Jordyn.

“Hi baby.” He stares at her. “He has your nose Nick.”

“Yeah he does. And probably is as small as you too.” Nick glares at Jc and Jordyn laughs. A nurse walks over and puts Angelica in Jc’s arms. He shows her to Jordyn and a tear runs down her face.

“Why are you crying?” Nick asks.

“The parasites are finally out of me!”

*

Once everyone was done drooling over the babies they were given back to Jordyn and she began feeding.

“They take after their father.” Nick smiles. “Go kids go!”

“Okay we’ll leave you guys alone for a bit.” Howie drags Joey from the room and the others say bye to Jordyn before leaving too. Jordyn looks at the babies then over at Nick.

“We can talk now.” Nick nods and takes a deep breath.

“These past two months I’ve been seeing a therapist. She helped me a lot with what I’ve been going through. You weren’t the only one suffering I was having problems too!”

“I figured that much.”

“I love you so much and I really, REALLY wanted you and the babies safe. I over reacted-” Jordyn arches her eyebrows. “Okay I was out of line for a lot of things, and I feel so bad when I hurt you.”

“I know.” She says it softly. “I love you so much Nick. And my doctor was telling me that with my history mixed in with the pregnancy… it was possible for me to develop depression.” Nick sighs.

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

“I was scared that would give you a better reason to treat me like you have been!” The babies pull away from her breasts and she covers herself up. Nick takes Angelica and pats her back. Jordyn pats Tyler’s.

“We both were suffering. If you told me maybe then… we probably both might have needed to see a therapist. Couldn’t you have gone on medication?”

“It could effect the babies and I didn’t want that.” Tyler and Angelica burp at the same time and they laugh.

“I love you so much Jordyn. Please move back in with me and forgive me.” Nick takes the babies and stands up rocking them in his arms. Jordyn lays back feeling tired.

“I’ve had the hardest day today. I’m tired and I just want to sleep.” Nick nods looking at the babies their eyes beginning to close. “I love you too Nick. I will move back in with you but it will take a while for us to forgive and forget.” Nick looks at her.

“You can do your band thing with me Howie and Jc, but promise me that we will both work together to get our ranch and the babies taken care of. The kids are our top priority.”

“I promise. And promise me you will give me a break every once in a while to do my own thing. I let you do that.”

“I promise.” Nick puts the babies down and they are asleep. He smiles and feels a tear run down his face.

“I love all three of you with all my heart.” He goes back over to Jordyn who scoots over in bed. He lies down on top of the sheets and puts his arm around her. She snuggles into his chest and they both end up falling asleep.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story