“For the love of god Becca it's not the end of the world.” Jordyn said dragging Becca out of the car towards the building. “You're just gonna go on an interview and they'll see if they want to hire you. You just need to answer the questions about who you are. That's it.”

“I'm well aware of that Jordyn but you know how I am around people I don't know!” Becca protested while being lead through the doors.

“You're gonna be working for them so you'll know everyone soon enough.” Jordyn said pushing her through the door and waving to her before running to the car.

“How I got her to convince me to apply for this job I’ll never know.” Becca muttered.

“Are you the new applicant?” Asked the secretary from behind the counter. Becca nodded.

“Yes. I’m not late for my interview am I?”

“No you’re right one time. Rebecca right? Ms. Spears is right in her office. Just remember to knock before going in. Britney is a very private person.”

“Oh. Okay.” Becca went over to where the secretary had pointed and carefully knocked on the door.

“Come in.” A female voice called from the room. Becca entered the room to find an attractive woman in her late twenties sitting at the desk. She was wearing a navy blue suit and was typing frantically on a computer, a Mac sadly. Becca shuddered.

“Hello. Um… I’m here to-”

“Apply for the job I know. Now sit down and make yourself comfortable.” The woman snapped obviously in no mood for small talk. Somewhat startled by the abrupt greeting Becca sat down in the chair across the desk and tapped her foot nervously on the carpet.

“Okay then” The woman finally said after a couple of minutes leaning back into her chair. “Sorry for the bad first impression. I’ve just been really crunched for time on this latest issue and we’re behind schedule.” She took a large gulp of coffee from a blue portable mug. “So anyways tell me a bit about yourself.”

“Well I guess I should start with me name” Becca said trying to not to chicken out.

“That’s always a good place to start.” The woman said nodding and folding her hands on the desk. “And for goodness sake. Try to relax a bit. You need to loosen up a bit girl. Are you always this nervous? If so I’m not letting you anywhere near the coffee.”

“No not always.” Becca smiled and laughed a little. “It’s just that this is the first job I’ve ever applied for. Anyways my name is Rebecca and I’m working on a four year degree in writing.”

“Okay that’s a good start. What kinds of things interest you? By the way I should probably tell you my name. It’s Britney. Christina probably already told you that but I figured I should say it to you myself. I usually go by boss though.”

“Well… Britney… I guess my interests are writing-” Becca stopped realizing she didn’t have many interests. “Well I guess you could say that I’m a pretty boring person. I have rabbits that I take care of.”

“That’s okay. You’re still pretty young so you’ll be able to find something. What about family and friends?”

“Well I’ve got plenty of friends. A few of them are trying to go into the music industry.”

“That means we’ll probably be interviewing them sometime in the near future. This magazine is an independent magazine, hoping to become the next People. And we need all the help we can get. So to put it bluntly I’m hiring you even though for all I know you could be really lousy.”

“So you just had me do the interview for formality?”

“Yeah that about sums it up. I know it may seem really stupid of me but you have no idea how short staffed we are. We need all the help we can get. I’m counting on you sweetheart.”

“I’ll do my best.”

“Good. You start your first interview tomorrow.”

“Oh… okay.” And with that Britney shook Becca’s hand and Becca, still somewhat in shock, leaves the room. Of all the things in the world, an interview! Someone up there had it in for her. She was sure of it.

“So how did it go?” Jc asked when she called him.

“Interviews. Tomorrow morning.”

“Stop worrying. You’ll be fine.”

“I’m screwed.”

“Stop worrying and wait for me outside. Don’t forget you’ve got that doctors appointment today at three.”

“I don’t need to be reminded.”

“Me neither. I’ll see you in a few minutes babe.”

“Bye.” Becca hung up and sighed. It was scary enough that she was being hired on a whim and that she was worried that her new boss was somewhat off her rocker and that her first job involved talking to complete strangers. But it really didn’t help that there was a possibility that it wouldn’t just be her and Jc she would be helping to support. Biting her lip Becca touched her mid section. It had only been a couple of weeks and already Becca was worried that she was showing the signs. Jordyn said it was probably just fear scaring her into believing that it was true but about bazillion home tests and no conclusive results later it was unanimously agreed by all that Becca should seek medical attention to settle this once and for all.

“And to find out if we need to file a restraining order on Becca’s mom and dad.” AJ had commented once over dinner. “Knowing how those psychos are they’ll probably be trying to get a hold of her so they can lock her up and keep her away from everyone for the rest of eternity.” AJ hadn’t been the only person to say something similar. Everyone, Jc and Jordyn especially had expressed their concern. Ever since her parents had shown up uninvited to her wedding she had been wary of every single one of her family members. She was still on somewhat good terms with her aunt but that was about it. Hopefully her aunt wouldn’t go into a fit of rage if it did turn out that Becca was indeed expecting.

Ten minutes later Jc’s car pulled up to the curb and Becca got into the passenger seat. She kissed her husband and buckled up not saying a word but just wanting him to start the car.

“So how did it go?” Jc asked.

“Just like I told you over the phone. I got the job and I’m starting tomorrow. I’m interviewing someone.”

“Well that shouldn’t be too bad.” Jc paused. “Becca I know you’re scared but you’ll be fine. You’re good with people once you’ve warmed up. And really this is just a temporary thing. Didn’t you mention something about teaching later on?”

“Well that is only after I get all the schooling done. And really who knows if that will really happen. So how long do we have before we need to be at the doctors?”

“We’ve got an hour or so. Jordyn was glaring at me all day. I think she’s still mad at me for fucking you without a condom.”

“We’re married Jc. Married people do things like this.”

“I know that. But I think she’s a little upset about breaking off the engagement to Nick. She won’t admit it though so she’s probably not doing that badly. Besides when you have two kids you really don’t have much time to really dwell on that kind of stuff.” Jc started the car and they began their drive to the doctor’s office.

*

“Well I hope that Becca and Jc will be able to handle this whole situation.” Nick said to no particular person. He and Jordan were busy working on one of the tracks on the album. It was only a couple months into making this album and already they were a couple tracks into the whole thing. Nick was still a little worried about talking to Jordyn. Ever since she had called off the engagement he had felt a little wary about what he said around her. Thing between them were more than fine. But he couldn’t help but worry. He supposed it was natural when he was working on making an album and he had to balance that with his girlfriend and two kids.

“What situation?” Jordyn asked looking up from her laptop where she had been working on the group's website. “You’re not talking about their ‘bun in the oven’ issue are you?”

“No Jordyn I’m talking about the pet triceratops in their living room. Of course I’m talking about the potential bun in the Becca oven.” Nick said snidely.

“No need to be sarcastic.” Jordyn said grinning. “I’m not worried about them. Becca’s getting a job and even if she is pregnant she’ll be fine. It’s not like her family can get in the way now. She’s eighteen and they’ve got no say in her life anymore. Besides,” She said her grins fading quickly. “It looks like we might have some bigger issues on our hands. You know that kid that was following us around a couple weeks ago?”

“Oh yeah that obnoxious brat that knows Becca?” Nick said with a snort. “Yeah I remember that SOB. What about him?”

“Well I guess he works for this gossip magazine that is spreading rumors about us, about all of us. Not just you and me but Jc and Becca, and even Justin and AJ. You know how those two are still so-so on the whole coming out idea. They haven’t even told their families. We’re the only ones who know.”

“So the little snot was watching us. Good god we’re not even famous yet and we’re the subject of gossip.”

“Well get used to it baby.” Jordyn said moving the stroller back and fourth to quiet the babies who were starting to fuss. “Cause if this thing does take off then we’re gonna get more than gossiping punks.”

Nick nodded and went back to working on the tracks. He was going to have to call Jc in the morning or later that evening so that Jc could re-do his part on the vocals. Nick hadn’t gotten all of it yet and he wanted to get as much done as possible by the end of the month.

“So do you want to be the one to feed the rabbit or should I do it?” Jordyn asked. Becca had left one of her bunnies in the studio because earlier in the week it had been sickly and she wasn’t willing to let it out of her sight.

“I will. You’re preoccupied with the little ankle biters.” Nick said standing up and going to the cage and getting some rabbit feed. “Here you go Anya.”

“Hey while you’re on your hands and knees get the kids and change em for me kay?” Jordyn said smiling at him.

“Yes Mommy.” Nick said in a childish voice.

“I’ve got you trained. I’m gonna have to do something about that.” Jordyn went back to her laptop.

“I swear Becca treats these rabbits of hers like they’re her children.” Nick said rolling his eyes.

“Is that a bad thing?” Jc said opening the door to the studio.

“Welcome back from the lady doctor.” Jordyn said as Becca and Jc walked in. “How did things go?”

“That’s what we’re here to tell you guys.” Jc said as he and Becca sat down in a couple of the armchairs.

“Well what’s the verdict then?” Nick asked.

Jc kept a straight face the whole time he told them.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story