The plane trip to Seattle was the most eccentric experience for the twins. They stared out the window the entire time, watching the clouds fly by beneath them and the continent below that. They mumble random sounds putting their tiny hands on the window. Jordyn smiles and holds them in her lap explaining to them what everything was.

“Those are clouds. And below that is land, where we live.” Nick watches Jordyn, both twins on her knees. He never felt luckier at that moment. He reaches out to Tyler as his tiny hands open and close motioning for Nick to take him. Jordyn passes him across and Tyler snuggles into Nick's chest, having his own special conversation with his daddy. Nick thinks Tyler was trying to repeat what Jordyn told him. Nick kisses his head and talks back to him.

Jc and Becca were across from their seats. Becca watches them while Jc rubbed her knee and read a magazine. Becca wasn't weeping and moaning over the loss of their kid, but she wasn't joyful either. Watching Jordyn with her kids makes her heart yearn for her own. She looks at Jc, who is chuckling his hand still moving up and down on her knee. She rests her head on his shoulder and by instinct he puts his arm around her waist rubbing her stomach. He kisses her head without taking his eyes off the magazine.

*

“Hello everyone.” Becca’s mother said as they all departed off the plane. “Oh look at you two. How cute! How old are they?” Jordyn didn’t like how this woman was acting. She was too much of a Pollyanna for her. Overly optimistic people irritated her.

“Seven months.” She said. “So are you guys gonna be driving us to the hotel or are we getting a rental car?”

“Oh you’re staying with us.” Somehow Jordyn knew this was going to be the answer. “But if you’d like the Mar Queen Hotel is a very nice place to stay.” Becca’s mom looked hopeful.

“We’ll stay in the hotel.” Nick said. “We don’t want to be any bother to you. The twins can get very loud at times. Isn’t that right you two?” He said bouncing them a bit. Becca’s parents smiled a bit. The whole group could tell that they were disappointed but they weren’t about to risk them getting the chance to lock Becca up again.

The drive to the hotel was fairly tame. Compared to the traffic in Nevada things were actually pretty calm. The twins were utterly fascinated with everything. Becca seemed happy to be in her home town but she definitely wasn’t comfortable being around her parents again. Finally they got to the hotel.

“I came here once as a small child.” Becca commented. “Not much has changed. It’s a beautiful building.”

It certainly was. Jordyn wasn’t a big fan of majorly fancy things but she was genuinely impressed with the building. They managed to get into their rooms and get settled in without much hassle. Becca’s parents tried to assist but Jordyn and Jc made sure that they were left just standing there.

“Josh. If we could have a word with you for a bit?” Becca’s father tapped Jc on the shoulder a few minutes later. Jc nodded and followed them. Becca was asleep in their room so he felt okay with leaving her there.

“What do you want?” He asked. Becca’s parents sat down at a table in the lobby. Jc sat in front of them. He wasn’t going to let down his guard anytime soon. These were the people who had put Becca in the state she had been when they had met.

“We want Rebecca to forgive us.” Her mother said. “We’re well aware that we’ve done a terrible job of parenting but…” She faltered. Jc was beginning to see where Becca got her shyness from.

“We weren’t even allowed at her wedding.” Her father said rubbing his wife’s back. “Do you have any idea how it feels? A father not being allowed to even go to his own daughters wedding?” Jc sighed exasperatedly.

“Forgive me for saying this but you were hardly a father to her. Ever wondered why you weren’t there to give her away when we got married? Because the man who did was the closest thing to a father figure she had. I can’t say I know how it feels though. And I doubt I’ll get to feel it for a long time. I can’t make Becca forgive you. All I know is that she isn’t ready to forgive either of you. When she is ready she’ll tell you herself. Until then give her the space she needs.” Becca’s parents looked like they wanted to argue but something kept them from doing so. Finally her mom nodded.

“Yes you’re right. My sister was right.” She said biting her lip. “I only wish I could tell her how proud I am of the woman she has become. But it’s up to her now.” Jc didn’t know if she was being manipulative or not but he nodded and stood up and went back to the room. They were going to visit Becca’s aunt the next morning. Jordyn and Nick were going to be taking the twins sightseeing so they didn’t have much to worry about other than Tyler and Angelica having a fit about being in the car again.

*

The morning finally came and they managed to get to the hospital without much traffic. No matter how you slice it rush hour traffic, no matter where you are, is a pain in the ass. Jc allowed Becca to go in on her own. For one thing he wasn’t really a family member. And on top of that he just felt that it wasn’t his place.

“Aunt Terry?”

“Yes Becca. It’s me. Surprise isn’t it seeing your old aunt here.” Becca was a bit shocked seeing the woman in the hospital bed. She found it hard to believe that this had been her fiery spirited aunt who actually helped her out when her parents forgot about her.

“So how long do you have?” She asked her voice trembling a bit. Her aunt rolled her eyes.

“Oh for goodness sake girl. You’re being a baby. Speaking of which your husband called me and told me what happened.”

“Please Aunt we didn’t mean for it to happen.”

“Oh don’t apologize. You’re an adult now. I have no say in what you do. And while you’re here forget that promise. It was useless and besides if you’re both ready to start a family, then go ahead.” Her aunt smiled a bit. “If anything I’d like to see a picture of my grandniece or grandnephew before I die. Now to answer that question of yours the doctors aren’t sure. I might just pull through with this if luck decides to be a lady. Or I could die tomorrow. Either way, don’t worry your pretty head over such things. Now go and spend some time with your husband. You two need to have a little more fun if you ask me. You used to love going to the Pike Place Market as a child. Why don’t you two spend the day there?”

Becca nodded and kissing her aunts forehead left the room. She didn’t see her cousin Henry there but she figured it would be pointless to look for him. He was probably out of the country.

*

Jc and Becca did eventually take Terry’s advice and went to the market. It was quite an adventure for both of them. Jc because he felt self conscious about how he looked and Becca because it had been years before she had been around this many people at once. But they enjoyed going to all the small stores. Becca got acquainted with a couple shop owners and they even squeezed in a quick lunch before heading over to the Science Center where Nick and Jordyn had just finished up with the twins. “Okay seriously.” Jc said. “Taking infants to the Science center? I mean I can understand maybe at three. But at eight months?”

“Shut it.” Jordyn said. “It was fun for us.”

“I got to play with the butterflies!” Nick cheers bouncing Angelica in his arms. Angelica reaches up with her hand and places on his mouth.

“Yes Nick, shut it.” Nick grins and nibbles at Angelica’s hand. She giggles.

*

The rest of the day was spent getting dinner and going to a dark comedy play that the twins didn’t really appreciate. They got fussy midway and fell asleep towards the end.

“Everybody’s a critic.” Nick heard one of the actors say jokingly as they all left the theater.

“Well it was good but I think the girl who played the villainous could have done a lot better.” Jc said.

“I think it was her first time on the stage so that might have played a part in it. But she’s got more guts than me when it comes to going in front of people that’s for sure.” Jordyn said raising an eyebrow suspiciously when Jc started nuzzling Becca and she was actually smiling for once. It didn’t really bother Jordyn at all that they were doing any of this but what really had her wondering was why. There was the obvious reason that those two were married but Jordyn knew that there had to be something else behind it. But why worry? She shrugged and went back to bouncing Tyler.

*

“So what time are we leaving tomorrow?” Becca asked slipping her clothes off and heading for her suitcase to grab a nightgown.

“Well our plane leaves at ten so we might want to get the hell out of here by seven. Maybe earlier.” Jc paused walking over to Becca and hugging her from behind. “What’s got you so anxious to leave? I wanted to see more of your hometown.”

“We can later. We’ll have the money soon. You’ll be famous and we can take all the trips we want.” Becca said.

“You’re not naive Becca.” Jc replied. “You know if this band thing does make it big we’ll be constantly hounded and we’ll never get any peace. I think we should stay another day. I want to enjoy moments like this. Who knows how many more we’ve got left.” He kissed her.

“But our flight?”

“We’ll switch our reservations. Besides Nick and Jordyn are staying another day so let’s hang with them.” Jc continued kissing down her neck rubbing her breasts. Becca tried to reach for her nightgown but that got interrupted by a hand to her pussy.

“It’s not that I *moan* don’t enjoy you doing this to me Jc,” Becca said sighing happily. “But why?”

“All systems are go right?” Jc asked picking Becca off her feat and laying her down on the bed. “So let’s get to work. Baby making is harder than they make it sound.”

*

The next few days went pretty well. Becca and Jc kept on trying to start a family every free moment they had alone. Tyler and Angelica got spoiled rotten. Or at least as much as a couple of eight-month-old's could be. They visited the space needle a few times and Tyler seemed utterly fascinated with all the people.

“Why do I get the feeling Tyler’s the social butterfly?” Jordyn commented once. Becca had noticed that Jordyn was acting quieter than usual. And that she and Nick weren’t really talking to each other. At first she didn’t think much of it but after seeing them not sitting next to each other it just got to be too much.

Becca cornered Jordyn after they had finished dinner and Jordyn was in the bathroom changing Angelica.

“You and Nick aren’t talking,” Becca said. “Don’t deny it. I may not be social but I do notice things. You and Nick have barely said a word to each other since the first day of the trip. What’s going on?” Jordyn sighed irritably. Becca would have normally shrunk back but instead she stood her ground. She wasn’t going to let Jordyn bottle everything up like her brother had done.

“Nick and I aren't talking.” Jordyn said simply.

“What happened?” Becca asked. “For goodness sake you two seemed to be doing so well!”

“That’s what I thought too.” Jordyn said bouncing Angelica a bit. “But I was wrong.”

“Well what happened?”

“I offered to be Brian and Lance’s surrogate.” Jordyn said. “Well I didn’t directly offer it up to them but I told Nick I was going to volunteer. Nick didn’t want to. He got jealous like he always does. Next thing I know we’re fighting and the kids are crying and he tells me I never think of anyone but myself. And you know the rest of that story.”

Becca paused not knowing what to say. She had to admit that she agreed that Nick should have kept better control over himself. Still… Jordyn was a bit selfish. No scratch that. She shook her head a bit in her in-mind theater. Jordyn had been very selfish not to consider Nick’s feelings in the whole ordeal. She was about to say so but then she reminded herself that chances are she wouldn’t be heard out. Ahh fuck it. Jordyn needed to hear this.

“Well I’m sorry that happened. I don't want to see you guys separating again.” Becca left kicking herself. Sorry that happened? God she was pathetic.

*

Back at the house things weren’t doing much better. AJ and Justin were having relationship problems involving a puppy and Kevin had to keep them from killing each other. Chris was perfectly content to provide one-on-one help to the others and Brian and Lance were busy trying to make final decisions on their lives.

“So do you think we should do a surrogate mom or just stick to adoption?” Lance asked.

“I don’t know.” Brian said. “I mean getting a surrogate would be nice but it’s a hassle. Don’t get me wrong it would be cool having a kid with our genes. But there are kids out there that need homes.”

“And even if we did get a surrogate we don’t know many women who’d be willing to do this.”

Discussions like this continued for over a week. It wasn’t until twenty four hours after they didn’t come back that people began to worry about Jordyn and the others.

“Seriously they said they were going to be back yesterday.” Howie said. “I hope nothing happened to them. I finished recording all my parts in the songs Jc wrote.”

“Oh they’re probably fine.” Kevin said reassuringly. He, Chris, and Lance were at his farm. Joey was out at work. He was about to open his mouth to make a comment on a zombie movie that was playing on channel 5 when the phone rang. “Hello?”

“Kevin man I’m so sorry. I didn’t know who else to call. He said not to but I’m so scared for them!”



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story