Story Notes:
This is based off the poem by Alfred Noyes. I was bored one day and the idea came to mind. I know it's not that good and the ending could be much better. I'm still a beginner when it comes to writeing.

Based off the poem by Alfred Noyes

The wind was a torrent of darkness among the gusty trees, The moon was a ghostly galleon tossed upon cloudy seas, The road was a ribbon of moonlight, over the purple moor, And the highwayman came riding- Riding-riding- The highwayman came riding, up to the old inn-door.

Christopher rode along the road at a fast pace. He had to get there quickly before dawn. He couldn’t keep her waiting forever. He kicked his horse speeding up along the road until finally he came upon the inn. It was about ten miles outside of town but for people who were coming in form other places it was a good place to stop. And often it was the last time these people could afford luxury until getting home. That is if Christopher found them to have enough for him to take. Such was the life or the highwayman. Find moneybags, otherwise known as wealthy people. Then when they’re good and supposedly alone ambush them then take what gold and valuables he could get and then steal away into the shadows and often to the tavern in town to have a drink with a few good friends, and also to the inn to meet up with his sweetheart. Secret lovers he and Rebecca were. Her father ran the inn. It was the only reason that he even came to the inn in the first place. He hoped to save up enough stolen gold and jewels to marry her within the year. He would only need a few more hits and hopefully tomorrow afternoon if the rumors were true he would hit the motherload. Now he just needed to pay a quick visit to his girl then find a place to hide out till that filthy rich baron came down the road. No doubt loaded down with finery.

He'd a French cocked-hat on his forehead, a bunch of lace at his chin, A coat of the claret velvet, and breeches of brown doe-skin; They fitted with never a wrinkle: his boots were up to the thigh! And he rode with a jewelled twinkle, His pistol butts a-twinkle, His rapier hilt a-twinkle, under the jewelled sky.

Finally he came close to the inn. He slowed his horse down to a walk so as not to cause too much racket. The roads before and the path in front of the inn were cobbled and in the dead of night the tiniest noise could sound like a gunshot in the night. For a brief moment he thought he could just barely see the faint outline of someone near the stables but he brushed it away as a figment of his imagination. He rode up to the door of the in and took out his whip. He tapped on the shutters but there was nobody there. No doubt her father was now sleeping like a log. Good, it would mean there would be no interruptions. He looked up to the only lit window at the inn at the second floor and whistled quietly. Instantly he heard someone moving around and the room and the window opened and Rebecca leaned out the window.

Over the cobbles he clattered and clashed in the dark inn-yard, And he tapped with his whip on the shutters, but all was locked and barred; He whistled a tune to the window, and who should be waiting there But the landlord's black-eyed daughter, Bess, the landlord's daughter, Plaiting a dark red love-knot into her long black hair.

“There you are. I was getting worried. You’re not on the run are you?” She whispered to him. Her long dark blond hair had been tied back and braided with a dark red ribbon. Christopher smiled and shook his head.

And dark in the old inn-yard a stable-wicket creaked Where Tim the ostler listened; his face was white and peaked; His eyes were hollows of madness, his hair like mouldy hay, But he loved the landlord's daughter, The landlord's red-lipped daughter, Dumb as a dog he listened, and he heard the robber say-

“No thankfully.” He rode closer to the window. “But I can’t stay too long. There’s a major moneybag passing through the area and I hope to ‘relive him’ shall we say of some of his burdensome possessions.” He grinned. But then he looked around nervously. The shadow from earlier still was lingering on in his mind. “And I fear we may be being watched. So I’d better not stay long. But if I don’t come back by afternoon then wait for me at the same time tomorrow night. Darling with this we can finally afford to leave this place. I might take a while but I swear I’ll come back to you. ” “You really mean it Christopher?” Rebecca said excitedly. “We’ll be able to leave and get married like you promised?”

"One kiss, my bonny sweetheart, I'm after a prize to-night, But I shall be back with the yellow gold before the morning light; Yet, if they press me sharply, and harry me through the day, Then look for me by moonlight, Watch for me by moonlight, I'll come to thee by moonlight, though hell should bar the way."

“Of course we will Rebecca. We’ll board the first ship to America. No one will find us. Only hell can keep me from you. Now I must go.” He stood fully up in the saddle and reached up but he could barely reach her hand even when she reached out to him and leaned out. He was about to give up and turn his horse when Rebecca took the ribbon that held her hair and pulled it out leaning as far out of her window as she could. He stopped and felt his face go red. He loved her hair and it always drove him crazy when she let it down for him. Christopher took it in his hand and let the smell of her hair waft over him. He kissed it then sat back down in his saddle before riding off. Rebecca watching him anxiously all the while watching him go off into the distance and darkness. Then she sighed and went back into her room before falling asleep again.

He rose upright in the stirrups; he scarce could reach her hand, But she loosened her hair in the casement! His face burnt like a brand As the black cascade of perfume came tumbling over his breast; And he kissed its waves in the moonlight, (Oh, sweet black waves in the moonlight!) Then he tugged at his rein in the moonlight, and galloped away to the West.

Morning finally came to the inn and so did that days work. Everyone innkeeper, family, and servants had work that needed doing and so they all got up without too much fuss and set to work so that they might have more time to themselves in the evening. But normally there wasn’t much free time to be had if the inn was crowded. Thankfully today it looked like there would not be many people coming by today or tonight. Two of the workers Brian, a young man from America who was only staying for a short while longer before returning and Nicholas were managing the stables. Cleaning it out and getting it ready for the day’s guests.

“Are you well Nick?” Brian asked. “You look like you’re lacking sleep.” Nick shook his head.

“I slept fine. But I need to leave for town in a bit. Could you tell our employer that I’ll not be able to work today because of some urgent business I need to take care of in town? I’m sorry to ask this of you but it’s of the utmost importance.” Brian nodded. Nick wasn’t brightest fellow but he liked him.

“Alright Nick. I’ll let him know. This wouldn’t have anything to do with his daughter now would it? Come on now out with it. You’ve been smitten with her since you laid eyes on her.” Nick blushed and nodded.

“Yes it has to do with Rebecca. She may not appreciate this but it’s for her own good. Now if you’ll excuse me I must be off.” And with his slight gimp he got onto one of the horses that the innkeeper owned and clumsily rode off.

Meanwhile Rebecca was working on cleaning the inside with one of the female servants and closest friend, Beatrice. She looked out the window and sighed a little with relief.

“What is it Rebecca?” Beatrice said standing up from where she had been scrubbing the floor. Beatrice had short cropped reddish hair and was quite fond of dressing like a boy. “You’ve been staring out the window all day. What on earth is it that you are waiting for and where on earth is Carter going?” She looked in the direction Rebecca was looking watching Nick ride off.

“I don’t care where he goes as long as it’s away from here.” Rebecca said spitefully. “I’m absolutely sick of him always following me around and staring at me and trying to talk to me. It’s obvious he’s smitten with me but I wish he’d understand I’m just not interested.” She sighed exasperatedly and went back down to scrubbing the floor.

“I wouldn’t be worried about ending up with him if I were you but perhaps you shouldn’t have encouraged him with that love knot you’ve had tied up in your hair for the past year. Your father wants you married it’s true but he’ll want you with a rich man who can care for you….” Beatrice paused for a bit then she got back to scrubbing with Rebecca and grinned wickedly. “So who’s your sweetheart?”

“I think your sister is calling.” Rebecca said smiling sweetly.

“Don’t try to pull that on me Rebecca and just tell me!” Beatrice said giving her a playful shove. “You’re not wearing that ribbon for nothing and with the way you’ve been acting lately. Not to mention all those noises I keep hearing from your room.”

“Fine then but you can’t tell anyone. His names Christopher and that’s all I’m saying.” Rebecca went back to scrubbing but Beatrice wasn’t done yet.

“So are you meeting him then? How long have you known each other?” Rebecca’s brow furrowed exasperatedly. Sometimes her friend could be a little too perceptive and inquisitive than was good for her.

“Beatrice I think it might be best for you to put two and two together on this rather than me saying it aloud.”

“Well I think I have an idea as to what’s going on but I think I want to hear it from you to be sure. How about we meet in mine and my sister’s room and discuss it further?” Rebecca considered this offer then nodded. Nobody would be upstairs except to get the rooms ready and they could use that as a cover story.

“Alright then as soon as we’re done here.”

They made quick work of their chores and went upstairs quickly making sure that no one followed after them then quickly shutting the door behind them.

“So tell me then.” Beatrice whispered. “Who is he and what have you been doing all this time? How come I haven’t met him before and why hasn’t he asked you to marry him yet if he’s been courting you for a year?”

“You’ve met him. He comes by the inn every now and then and stays the night sometimes. That well dressed man with the expensive clothes and completely black horse.” Rebecca paused to give Beatrice’s memory some time to work. Then her eyes went wide.

“Oh he’s that man. Isn’t he wanted?” Beatrice looked a little concerned. “Rebecca are you certain you want to be sweethearts with a criminal? Surely no good can come of this….Wait a minute…Every time he stays the night here…Oh my. That explains the noises I hear and your so-called nightmares.” Beatrice looked shocked and Rebecca smiled a little. “So you mean to tell me that you’ve been spreading your legs for him and you’re not even married yet!?”

“Well he’s made me unsuitable to be the wife of any man who wishes to be the first to have slept with his bride. I haven’t been pure for a good ten months now.”

“And you’re certain you’re not with child?”

“I haven’t once missed my woman’s blood.”

Beatrice looked utterly shocked and worried for her friend.

“But you should get married and quickly. If you’re lying with him you are risking so much.”

“We are. He needs the money first though. We’ll be heading for America before the end of the year.” As Rebecca said this Beatrice looked a little surprised and sad.

“I’ll miss you dearly Rebecca.”

“I’ll miss you too. And don’t worry. I’ll send letters to you as often as I can.” And with that they embraced. Just then there was a knock. Beatrice opened the door and her sister Clara was waiting looking fearful and excited.

“There you are.” She scolded. “You don’t know how long everyone has been looking for you. You need to hurry and get down to the kitchen. We’ve got a lot of guests, soldiers from the looks of it. Now hurry yourselves up and get to work!” And with that she shooed them out of the room and shut Beatrice’s younger sister Lizzie into the room so that she wouldn’t be in the way.

He did not come in the dawning; he did not come at noon; And out o' the tawny sunset, before the rise o' the moon, When the road was a gipsy's ribbon, looping the purple moor, A red-coat troop came marching- Marching-marching- King George's men came marching, up to the old inn-door.

“Are you the innkeeper’s daughter?” The man who looked to be in charge had asked. Rebecca looked at him puzzled. This was the first thing any of the men had said to them all day. It was getting close to dark now and they were guzzling down all the ale that the inn had to offer. Of course some of the more rowdy men had made remarks and slapped the hind quarters of Rebecca, Beatrice, and a few of the other women in the inn. Other than that they hadn’t spoken a word since they came in. And when they came they were led by Nick who had a guilty and apologetic expression on his face when he looked at Rebecca.

“I am. Why do you ask sir?” Rebecca said carefully.

“I’ll be asking the questions young miss. Now if you’ll come with me and my men we’ll make sure that you don’t interfere with our business.” The man turned to the other soldiers. “Alright men I want to of you at every window ready to fire at my command.” Rebecca looked shocked and confused but before anyone could say anything two men had seized her by the arms and were dragging her to her room. Beatrice and her father ran forward to help her but they were held back Brian and the other workers looked confused and were also about to stand up when they found themselves staring at the bayonets of the soldiers muskets. “This is only a precaution for your own safety. Please try to understand.” The commander said in his calm yet arrogant voice.

Nick meanwhile was looking around as though something wasn’t going as he had planned. He ran over to the commander.

“We had a deal!” He yelled. “You said no harm would come to her!”

“My dear lad no harm will come to her. We’re just making sure that she doesn’t interfere and that he comes quietly.” When Rebecca heard this she began struggling and screaming while Nick just looked as though the world was ending.

“Please forgive me Rebecca.” He whispered.

No matter how hard Rebecca struggled she couldn’t get free of their grasp. They dragged her into her room and slammed her into one of the posts of the bed. Before she knew it she was bound tightly and gagged. The commander came into the room shortly after while the two men loaded their guns on either side of her window.

They said no word to the landlord; they drank his ale instead, But they gagged his daughter and bound her to the foot of her narrow bed; Two of them knelt at her casement, with muskets at their side! There was death at every window; And hell at one dark window; For Bess could see, through the casement, the road that he would ride.

“Hey Commander McLean sir?” Said one of the soldiers, a giant of a man who had been sniggering at Rebecca and feeling her up while tying her up.

“Yes Mr. Fatone?” Said the commander with one eyebrow raised.

“Maybe we should make a more convincing argument? You know so he surrenders? Richardson has that extra musket with him maybe we could do something with it?” Commander McLean looked thoughtful for a moment then smiled.

“Why you’re right Mr. Fatone. What a splendid idea. Mr. Richardson please take your spare musket and tie it up to the girl.” He then leaned in to Rebecca who if not gagged would have spat in his face. But instead she glared at him with a look that would strike fear into evil itself. He reached up and stroked her face smiling.

“Now now then darling don’t look at me like that. You’ll put creases into that pretty face of yours. It’s no wonder that the bastard fell for you. Such a shame that you couldn’t have guarded your heart more carefully, maybe he wouldn’t have stolen it.” He then leaned further in and kissed her cheek. Rebecca jerked her face away just as the solider finished tying the musket to her. It was positioned so that all one had to do was press on the trigger and her heart would be silenced for eternity. She watched with the other men out the window at the road. Her mind was panicking. Christopher would be here by midnight possibly earlier. He was a man of his word and he would try to avoid being late like the plague. Her face went pale as she thought of what would happen to him.

They had tied her up to attention, with many a sniggering jest; They bound a musket beside her, with the barrel beneath her breast! "Now keep good watch!" and they kissed her. She heard the dead man say- Look for me by moonlight; Watch for me by moonlight; I'll come to thee by moonlight, though hell should bar the way!

Frantically in her mind she considered her options. She could wriggle free and run. That wouldn’t work. She had been working on the knots for an hour and a half now and they still held fast. Her hands were wet already, though with blood or sweat she could not be certain. And even if she did manage to break free of her bonds how was she going to escape the soldiers? While they wee fixed on the window they’d see her if she tried to escape and then there were men in every room of the inn and men in the stable.

She could gnaw through the gag and scream when she heard Christopher get close. That wouldn’t work either. Christopher would ride towards the noise to save her. And even then the men would silence her afterwords and then she would have to deal with them all the next day. With increasing frantic urgency she struggled against her bonds and thought as to what to do. Then as the clock in the inn struck midnight the answer came to her. Not in thoughts or words. But it came in the feel of cold metal on her finger. The thought frightened her but what choice did she have? She stopped fighting and waited.

She twisted her hands behind her; but all the knots held good! She writhed her hands till here fingers were wet with sweat or blood! They stretched and strained in the darkness, and the hours crawled by like years, Till, now, on the stroke of midnight, Cold, on the stroke of midnight, The tip of one finger touched it! The trigger at least was hers!

The plan was simple really. All it really needed was good timing. She stood up as straight as possible so that she could better see the road. She tried to be as quiet as possible so that the soldiers wouldn’t hear her. Her blood was pulsing in her veins quickly and felt like ice. The out of the distance she heard it. Hoof beats and fast ones at that. He was coming. She could hear him. For a moment she looked at the soldiers in confusion. Were they stupid of deaf? He was coming! And they weren’t even raising their muskets. She could just barely make out his silhouette in the distance. Then they readied their muskets. She got into her final position.

Tlot-tlot; tlot-tlot! Had they heard it? The horse-hoofs ringing clear; Tlot-tlot, tlot-tlot, in the distance? Were they deaf that they did not hear? Down the ribbon of moonlight, over the brow of the hill, The highwayman came riding, Riding, riding! The red-coats looked to their priming! She stood up strait and still!

“Please forgive me my love.” She thought as the sound of hoof beats continued to break the silence like a thousand mallets shattering a thousand panes of glass. For a moment she thought against it. “This was crazy. She couldn’t do this!” Those thoughts were dispelled quickly. Her mind was made up and there was no changing it. She inhaled deeply for a final time and closing her eyes and gritting her teeth so as not to scream pressed the trigger of the musket. There was a loud bang and a searing pain before everything swirled into blackness for her and she slumped over dead. The soldiers cursed loudly and there was a scream from downstairs as Beatrice ran up the stairs followed by Nick, Brian, and Rebecca’s father all of them being chased by soldiers. The door to Rebecca’s room was opened and there were several cries of grief and despair. Beatrice for the loss of her friend, Nick for his secret love who he had betrayed with the only intention of protecting her, and Rebecca’s father at the loss of his only child and only reminder of his beloved wife. Soon the room was filled was screams and cries. Commander McLean all the while looking irritated and exasperated. Pushing Beatrice and the others out of the way he marched downstairs and began commanding his men to set up watch points all along the highway. He would have that dog’s head on a platter if it was the last thing he did. If only that stupid girl hadn’t interfered.

Tlot-tlot, in the frosty silence! Tlot-tlot, in the echoing night Nearer he came and nearer! Her face was like a light! Her eyes grew wide for a moment; she drew one last deep breath, Then her finger moved in the moonlight, Her musket shattered the moonlight, Shattered her breast in the moonlight and warned him-with her death.

Christopher sped his horse down the road. He had been right in assuming that the guy would be loaded down with gold. But he hadn’t expected ambush. Well whether or not it was ambush he could not be certain but he had been close enough to the inn. He’d have to ask Rebecca about it the next night. He dared not go back in that direction tonight. He’d come for her again and they would leave for the next boat to America. Like he had promised her the first time he had lain with her. For hours he rode not stopping until he reached town where he dismounted and ran to the nearby tavern. His friends there would shelter him.

“Did you hear what happened last night?!” It was dawn and Christopher was sitting at the bar heavy bags under his eyes from lack of sleep. He had a pint in his hands and young Justin was chattering away next to him.

“No Justin I don’t know what happened last night and to be perfectly honest I’m not too keen on finding out.” He said his voice tired and bordering on irritated. He downed his pint and stared at the bottom of the glass when he saw a peculiar sight. One no two of the servant from the inn were in the tavern. Christopher wondered how it was that he hadn’t seen them come in. He recognized both of them. One of them he knew well as being one of Rebecca’s friends. And from the looks of it she had been crying. Her eyes were bloodshot and her face and hair wet from tears. The same thing went for the young man’s face. He motioned over to the barkeeper. James was a good friend of his who also was the one who would be booking their passage to America.

“What is it friend?” James asked.

“Why are they here? Why are they crying?” James raised an eyebrow and then lowered it. His tone and facial expression became serious.

“You should ask Timberlake. It’s not my place to say and you won’t want to hear it from me. It’s none of our places to say but he seems to know the most other than those two.” He nodded towards the two servants.

“Alright.” Christopher turned back to Justin and sighed. He liked the boy but he could be a tad too talkative at times. “I changed my mind. Tell me what happened last night.” Justin’s face brightened up in an instant and he leaned in to tell him.

“I guess last night some of the military came to arrest this highwayman who’s been robbing people on the roads around here for nearly a year now. Well I guess that bloke over there was jealous of him because both of them were in love with the innkeepers daughter. You know the inn about ten miles from here. Well anyways he goes and tells the military about him and they take hold of the inn cause the highway man was gonna stop by see? And then the innkeeper’s daughter up and kills herself to warn him. They didn’t catch him but-“Justin never got to finish his tale. Christopher’s face went deathly pale and then he stood up running for the back of the tavern grabbing Nick by the collar and hoisting him into the air. Tears were stinging at his eyes.

“She’s dead!” He screamed. “She’s dead because of you!” He threw Nick to the ground before running out the door to his horse.

“I’d say it was his fault but to be honest I don’t think we can place the blame on anyone.” Beatrice said softly as she watched Christopher leave.

He turned; he spurred to the West; he did not know who stood Bowed, with her head o'er the musket, drenched with her own red blood! Not till the dawn he heard it, his face grew grey to hear How Bess, the landlord's daughter, The landlord's black-eyed daughter, Had watched for her love in the moonlight, and died in the darkness there.

Screaming like a lunatic Christopher rode down at breakneck speed. He couldn’t believe it. He wouldn’t. But inside he knew the truth. Part of him knew that she was truly gone. And that part of him thirsted for revenge! He drew his sword as he neared the inn ready to strike at the next thing that moved until.

Bang! And a burning pain hit him in the shoulder and spread throughout his body as well as a warm moistness. Another bang and this time the pain was in his side and again with the warm feeling of blood. This time his horse reared up and he was knocked from it. A third and final bang and this was the final shot. This one hit him in the chest. And as his vision clouded and the road became red with his blood he saw her killer. He was standing over Christopher his scarlet uniform fading from his vision quickly. He turned his head away. He didn’t want that to be the final thing he saw before dying. And everything went black as death wrapped him in her cold but loving embrace. The eternal mother taking was her child back from the cruelties of the world.

Back, he spurred like a madman, shrieking a curse to the sky, With the white road smoking behind him and his rapier brandished high! Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat, When they shot him down on the highway, Down like a dog on the highway, And he lay in his blood on the highway, with a bunch of lace at his throat.

“And the scoundrel is dead at last.” Commander McLean said kicking the still warm body. “Remove the body and have it buried. Any treasure on him goes to the king and I’ll take the horse.” Grinning maliciously he walked up to the stallion. But the horse upon seeing the body of his former master and his killer reared up again and with one blow brought a hoof swishing down and with a loud crack brought it down upon the head of Commander McLean who fell. He was dead before he hit the ground.

The other men backed away from the horse which galloped off never to be seen again. They all stood dumbfounded for a moment and confused as to what to do next with their leader dead as well as their intended target. Then one of the younger officers spoke up. Young Joshua Chasez looked at the body of the highwayman and strangely he felt pity for the man that he had been told to kill. He looked up at his comrades.

“You know.” He said. “I think we should bury him next to her. I think it’s the least we can do for them. To be honest I feel guilty for all of this.” One by one the others nodded and picking up the bodies of the robber and their fallen commander they made their way back to the inn where a priest was waiting to start the funeral for Rebecca. The people of the inn had been waiting for Beatrice and Nick to show up.

“Think you could do one more father?” Joshua asked. The priest nodded. Beatrice and Nick arrived shortly afterwords. Christopher and Rebecca were buried side by side behind the inn. And all the while there was a feeling of sorrow but at the same time peace. The soldiers even took of their hats and saluted the couple while they were being buried.

The next morning the soldiers left. They took the body of their commander and took it back to his family. None knows what happened after that.

Two Hundred years later.

“Wow you were right Lance. This trip to England was a good idea.” Jordan said as they parked their car in the parking lot of the hotel they were staying at. “It looks like Becca and Chris beat us to the place. Where are we anyways?”

“We’re in one of the more rural areas. A few miles or so east of Yorkshire I think. Anyways I would’ve picked a fancier place except that this place has some pretty interesting history behind it.” Shrugging Jordan got out of the car followed by Lance. They were promptly greeted by Jordan’s three godchildren who tackled them has hard as their little bodies could. They were followed by their parents who promptly scooped them up and grinning to their two friends they all made their way into the inn after Lance got his and Jordan’s daughter Angelica out of her carseat where she was sleeping.

“Welcome! You’ve finally arrived. It’s so good to see you.” A young woman with curly blond hair came out to greet them. “You must be the ones who made the reservations. Come right this way. Your rooms are all ready for you. Once you’ve all settled in feel free to explore the place.” Lance and Chris went over to unpack while Becca ushered the kids into the inn. Soon they were all unpacked and took to exploring the place, except for the kids who were all tiered and in need of a nap, especially three year old Emilie who was near the point of tears when they arrived due to exhaustion.

“Well the kids are all out like a light.” Becca commented. “I have to admit I had my doubts about traveling with them at this young an age but I have to admit they’re all holding up pretty well.”

“Yeah they are. Wanna go wander around for a bit?” Lance asked. “I wanna know more about the history of this place.”

“Looks to me like just another old building to me.” Jordan remarked.

“Didn’t you say this place has a really interesting ghost story or something Lance?” Chris said leaning against the table where they all were sitting at. Lance nodded.

“Yeah it does. That’s why I booked certain rooms here. I think the guy who runs the place might be able to tell us more.”

“So you booked this place cause of some story? Wow Lance really smooth.” Jordan said sarcastically.

“Well I think it might be interesting to hear it.” Becca said. “I like hearing stories and while were here we might as well get some local lore.”

“Excuse me.” Chris said to the blond woman who came over to them smiling. “Could you tell us where the owner is?”

“My husband is in town right now getting some groceries for tonight. Is everything to your liking?” She said cheerfully.

“Everything’s fine.” Lance said reassuringly. “We were just told that we could find out more about the ledged behind this place from him.” The woman nodded.

“Ahh. Finally someone takes interest in the story. Well Howard will be home soon. So just sit tight.”

A few hours later the man arrived apparently he had inherited this inn from his father who had bought it from a young woman whose great, great, great, great grandmother had lived in the first part of the nineteenth century. Or at least she had been around nineteen in the year 1809. Apparently the woman had been friends with the daughter of the original innkeeper. But something had happened to her friend that gave it the legend of it being haunted.

“Ghosts?” Becca said curiously. “Do tell.”

“Well.” Said Howie. “I guess the girl had killed herself to save her boyfriend and then he died the next day. I guess the story goes that they’re still wandering the place. But there haven’t been reports of them in years. If you see them don’t hesitate to tell us. I think the woman who was friends with her eventually married a man from own who had been friends with the girl’s boyfriend.”

The rest of the evening went normally. The kids all woke up and spent the rest of the day running around in the large yard outside. Though Becca told her’s and Chris’s to stay clear of the two large tombstones. Angelica not wanting to be left behind by her playmates stayed with them so Lance and Jordan didn’t really need to tell her anything. Dinner was good and there was some drinking and traditional folk music. Then it was upstairs to bed with all of them. There were only a few other guests so there wasn’t much noise in the night. Except for maybe some faint thumping in one of them rooms.

Then around midnight Becca woke up with a jolt. It was pitch black out other than the silvery moonlight. Gently shaking Chris she sat up in the bed and looked at the window. There in the dark she could see the gray transparent figure of a young woman. No older than eighteen. She was wearing clothes that looked like they were from maybe around 1809. Her hair was long and was braided in back with a ribbon woven into it. She was smiling. Then there was the sound of a horse galloping and the woman turned. She looked at Becca and motioned for her to some forward. Becca nodded and got out of bed walking towards the window looking out she could see another transparent figure. It was a man on horseback who also looked like he came from the early nineteenth century. Stunned and not knowing what was going on Becca looked back at the woman.

“It’s good to see that our future selves fared much better in this life.” The spirit said. Then the man on horseback reached his arms out to her and the woman floated up and leapt from the window landing on his horse in front of him. The man looked up at Becca tipped his hat and then turning the rose rode off a few feet before disappearing.

“What are you doing up Becca?” Chris was finally awake. He sat up in bed. “Is everything okay?” Becca smiled and nodded going back to the bed and getting under the covers snuggling up next to her husband of two years.

“Yes baby. Everything’s fine. I was just thinking about things from the distant past.”

And still of a winter's night, they say, when the wind is in the trees, When the moon is a ghostly galleon tossed upon cloudy seas, When the road is a ribbon of moonlight over the purple moor, A highwayman comes riding- Riding-riding- A highwayman comes riding, up to the old inn-door.

Over the cobbles he clatters and clangs in the dark inn-yard, And he taps with his whip on the shutters, but all is locked and barred; He whistles a tune to the window, and who should be waiting there But the landlord's black-eyed daughter, Bess, the landlord's daughter, Plaiting a dark red love-knot into her long black hair.

Completed
Becca Chan is the author of 3 other stories.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story