Six months, a U-Haul and a whole lot of nerve later….

It was a chill Saturday night. Traffic seemed lighter than usual, but then she remembered that it was off season. Tourists only descended at certain times of year, when the ocean waters were warm and the breezes didn’t chill to the bone. Even the line at Pinches was short and the wait wasn’t the usual hour or more.

Gabby picked up the ‘To Go’ bag, eyeing the two covered dishes packed inside. She sniffed and then smiled at the scents emanating from the bag. Every day she saw some sort of sign that she had made the right decision.

JC left New York without explaining what he’d meant by you’ll figure it out, but he didn’t really need to.  He waited patiently for her to come to the realization, all on her own, that she needed to move back. Almost three months after his visit, she called to break the news that, pending transfer approval, she would be back in LA soon. He couldn’t convincingly pretend to not be elated.  

Months later, her transfer to the California office and the Entertainment division was complete. Gabby dove into reacquainting herself with her favorite people, her favorite places, and her favorite foods—namely the tacos at Pinches. The smells wafted around her, filling the car as she drove. It took everything in her not to break into one of the containers and take a bite.

She pulled up to a house that was home to her by now and parked next to the Mercedes in the driveway. He liked to pick on her shitty blue Toyota, but no one had ever tried to break into her car and steal her $300 sunglasses. She didn’t even own $300 sunglasses and with the salary cut she took in order to transfer offices, she wouldn’t be buying any for quite some time.

But at least she would be in LA.

She grinned, giddy for no reason—at the same time for lots of reasons—and grabbed the bag from the backseat before bounding up the front steps. She turned the knob and of course the door was open and the alarm system off. Even after two break-ins, it was like he didn’t realize where he lived. Life in New York had definitely awakened the vigilant crime fighter in her.

“Honey, I’m hoooome,” she called out, stepping into the hallway and locking the door behind her.

“Do you have food?”   

“Yes, because you can always eat.”

She brought the bag into the living room and began to unpack. JC opened every container and peeked inside, alternately mmm-ing and commenting on the Spanish rice and refried beans and handcrafted, authentic tacos.

“Smells good. Still hot, too.”

“I told you, they’re better when they’re fresh.”

“Hey, look what I found,” JC said, pointing toward the TV. The familiar long legged gait of Julia Roberts in thigh high patent leather boots flashed across the screen.

Gabby squealed. “Our movie! You found it!”

“Yep,” he said, sitting back with a container of food and settling into the couch. “Welcome to Hollywood,” he quoted. “What’s your dream? Everybody has a dream.

Gabby grabbed the other container and joined him in relaxing, snuggled up against him.    

“Mine is coming true, right this minute.”  

 

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading!! Please be sure to leave a comment and let me know how you enjoyed (or utterly hated) it! :D 

Completed
MissM is the author of 30 other stories.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story