Author's Chapter Notes:
:)
Meghan's lips still slightly parted, J.C. offered up a tight smile as he released her hand creating a minimal amount of space between the two as he scooted further along the couch.

Without a word, Meghan inwardly released a breath. Looking to him apologetically, she stood to her feet and marched over to the door. Upon opening it, she somewhat crinkled her nose as she came face to face with her personal assistant Shannon.

" Shann? What are you doing here?" She questioned moving aside to allow her entrance.

" Sorry to interrupt but, " As she stepped further into the room, Shann acknowledged J.C. who had moved back over to the soundboard with a short wave.

" Hey Jace."

" What's up Shannon." He replied with a wink. Turning his back, he busied himself with the controls as Shannon turned back to Meghan.

" Where is your phone?"

Thrown off by Shann's random question, Meghan stared back at her confused.

" Huh? What do you mean? It's in my bag."

" Then how come you haven't answered any of my calls? I've been trying to get a hold of you for like the past forty minutes."

Exasperation filled her tone and she watched as Meghan moved around her in search of her purse.

" Really? Shoot I must have set it on..." Rummaging through her bag as she spoke, she retrieved her cell and flipped it open revealing thirteen missed calls. Fingering the side of her phone she clicked on the button that set the volume. " Yea, sorry. I forgot that I set in on silencer earlier today."

Shannon declined her apology with a flick of her wrist. " That's fine but the only reason why I came down here was to tell you that Johnny wants to see you in his office."

" That's it?" Meghan inquired as she cleared away the last of her calls not believing that her assistant had driven clear across town just to relay that bit of information. " Alright fine. As soon as J.C. and I finish up in here I'll drive right over."

Shannon shook her head.

" No. I mean now. He told me to get you over there as quickly as possible."

The stern tone in her voice made Meghan and also J.C. turn to her.

" What's the big emergency?" Meghan inquired after stealing a quick glance at J.C.

Shann shrugged. " I couldn't tell you. And even if I knew, I still wouldn't tell you." She supplied with a smirk. J.C. let out an amused snort.

Meghan scowled at Shannon's back as she answered her ringing phone and stepped from the room. " I'll meet you in the car." She threw back at Meghan before speaking to whom Meghan assumed was Johnny on her way out.

" Nice assistant you got there." J.C. commented swirling in his chair to face her.

Meghan merely shook her head. " The best." She spoke dryly.

Meghan stood there momentarily staring at the spot where Shannon just was before dropping her phone back inside her bag and then setting the bag on the coffee table next to the stack of magazines and their soda cans.

She looked to J.C. as he rose from his seat and strolled over to her with his hands cached calmly in his pockets.

" So, I guess we'll be picking this up same time tomorrow mami." He sounded peering down at her.

She casually slipped her hands into her back pockets with a tiny bounce of her shoulders. " I guess so. Maybe tomorrow we might even get some work done." She threw in.

" You are walking on a thin line girl. I happen to think that my producing skills are finely adequate." Meghan held in a giggle as he moved around her to retrieve his coat draped over the couch. " Insult my talent. I don't think so." He grumbled slipping it on.

She threw her head back and laughed aloud. " You make it so easy. Like really."

" Like really." He mimicked lifitng her journal from the cushion.

Meghan with her bag now strapped to her shoulder held out her hand for it. " Thank you." She said as he lent it to her then snatched it back.

She rolled her eyes at the smirk playing on his lips.

" C'mon Jace. You know I don't have time for this. I need to be at Johnny's office right now. You heard Shannon."

He said nothing and instead watched her as she attempted to reclaim her notebook. This went on for a few seconds when she finally latched onto it but his grip was to tightly secured and she couldn't tear it away from his hands.

Defeated, she began to whine.

" Will you stop already and give it to me?"

" On one condition. Say the magic word and it's all yours." He taunted holding on as she tugged roughly on it.

" Now." She demanded tugging on it once more. Though she didn't know that he was going to let go, when she tugged on it she stumbled backward slightly and the back of her knees came in contact with the edge of the couch as she plopped onto it heavily with a gasp.

" You are so lucky that I didn't end up on the ground buddy." She warned mustering up a menacing glare as he stood there chuckling.

" My bad. I have a really bad case of butterfingers." He emitted wiggling all five fingers on his hand.

She accepted his hand as he helped her back to her feet.

" I don't like you." She stated.

He frowned playfully then moved closer to her to cup her chin in his hand.

" Don't say things that you don't mean."

It was her turn to cup his chin as she stared up at him. " I never do." She spoke lowly causing him to cock a brow.

J.C. couldn't stop his eyes from traveling to her pink lips back up to her eyes. As badly as he wanted to just capture her lips with his, he knew he'd be overstepping his boundaries. That's the last thing he wanted to do considering she has yet to reply to his dinner invitation.

He took a step back and chuckled. Removing his hand from her chin, he took hold of her wrist and moved her hand down from his jaw. He brought her hand to his side then intertwined their hands together.

" C'mon let's go." He nodded his head toward the open door. " I'll walk you to your car."

She snickered. " Aww, such a gentlemen."

He cheesed slinging his arm around her shoulder.


Allowing her to move through the double doors of the studio first, Meghan and J.C. conversed mirthfully walking side by side across the parking lot where Shannon's car was parked. She sat behind the wheel looking over a manila packet and was unaware of the two making their way over.

They stopped just a few feet away. J.C. stood before her.

" I think Invisible would go good for your next single. It seems that you already have the concept of the video down so I don't see why not."

Meghan looked off to the side momentarily. From across the street she could have sworn that she discovered the likes of a photographer mingling around but disregarded it.

" Yea, but then again I'm torn inbetween 'Invisible' and 'Candle lights'. They're both great songs but I'm having the hardest time choosing which one will actually make the better video. I mean if I go with Candle lights then there's that whole demand of casting a male lead for the video but if I go with Invisible I won't need to cast a male lead, but then again the song kinda calls for some sort of romantic scene and I-"

J.C.'s orbs squinted at her under the glaring sunlight. He shielded his hand over his forehead inorder to see her better

" Well then I say just scrap them both. If you want my real opinion on the subject matter, I think you should go with 'Touch Like That'. That song is off the hook and I know it would get some serious play on the radio."

She tilted her head. " Really? You think so?"

He nodded.

" Hell yea. Plus the lyrical content basically creates the concept of the video. ' Touch Like that'? Yea, all you have to do is put on some lacy outfit, feel on yourself a little and maybe do a little ass shaking and Voila! There ya go. Number 1 on TRL just like that."

Meghan huffed and slapped his arm lightly. For a moment there he was sounding a bit serious.

" Not helping Jace."

His hand tended to the spot as he laughed softly to himself.

" Listen, don't worry yourself about it. I'm sure whatever you decide to go with in the end will turn out great. You have a knack for these kind of things. I mean, I have yet to see a video of yours fall past number two on the charts. Don't stress mami. You'll be fine."

This time around he was actually serious when he spoke. Meghan took notice and smiled a sideways one.

" I guess, whatever. Thanks." She replied unenthusiatically. Looking over her shoulder, Meghan peered at Shannon in the car. She figured it was time for her to get a move on.

" She doesn't look too happy. I better get going."

" Yea, me too. I need to meet up with a client in an hour soooo..."

J..C. opened his arms wide with a grin. " Get over here."

Meghan smiled and ever so slowly moved into his embrace. As soon as she was in arms reach he roughly pulled her to his body which made her outright laugh.

Securing her arms around his middle, Meghan rested her head against his chest as he began to lightly rock them from side to side. He then began to playfully hum ' Rock a Bye Baby ' which had her shake her head. Lost in their small world at the moment, the two were oblivious of the photos being snapped of them from the photographer across the street dressed in plain street clothes.

" So stupid." She spoke though her voice was muffled.

He gently squeezed her. " You like it." He conceeded.

The honking of a horn broke up the tender moment. Both turned in the direction of Shannon's car. J.C. simply waved at the impatient assistant as she motioned to her watch for Meghan to hurry up.

" I'll call you a little later on alright." He told her.

" Yea." She responded moving from his embrace. Peeking on her toes, she planted a small kiss on his cheek then playfully patted it. " Stay out of trouble."

" Trouble? Girl you know me."

He waved her off and watched her back as she stalked toward the car. Retrieving his keys from his pocket he was about to pivot on his heels and over to his car when her voice calling him halted his step.

He turned to look at her. " What is it?"

As she spoke she took slow steps backwards. " Tomorrow at 8:00. I'll be waiting." She hollered at with that she winked before rounding toward the passenger side of the car and climbing inside.

The biggest of smiles grew to his face and he licked his lips. With a quick nod and a finger wave as Shannon zoomed past him, he twirled his keys around his finger as he merrily strutted over to his car.

Let the headlines begin.


( The Ivy Restaurant )

Meghan smiled at J.C. from over the rim of her champagne glass. She shook her head.

" I don't know how you can just eat it like that. You can still see the blood seeping through from the inside." She commented on his steak that he was currently slicing up with his knife and fork.

" That's what makes it taste so much better. The blood mixed with the juices from the sauce," He paused forking a cut of steak into his mouth. " Mmmm, delicious."

He chortled at her scrunched face as she watched him chew then looked at his plate of Sirloin steak and vegetables in fright.

" That's a Mad Cow disease waiting to happen." She supplied setting down her glass that she was still holding. Lifting her fork, she stabbed at her Fettucini and brought it to her lips. " If you ask me, I think medium rare steaks are just an epidemic waiting to break out and wipe out the nation."

To complete her sentence she took in her fork of noodles. Licking her lips she savored the warm, sweet taste of the Alfredo sauce.

J.C. munched on a piece of broccoli clearly amused.

" You talk about it as if it's still alive." He laughed.

She raised both brows.

" It might as well be. I wouldn't be suprised if at any moment it jumped up and bit me."

She muttered just before taking a bite of her Shrimp.

" I don't know why you're so against it. It's really not all that bad." Cutting up a small chunk, he forked it and held it up guiding it toward her lips. " Here, try a piece."

Meghan politely shook her head as she eyed his fork. " No thanks. I'll pass. Maybe another time."

He grinned. "No, c'mon just taste it. It's really good. I promise you."

She refused once more this time turning her head away. " Aww, just a tiny bite." He offered with a pout.

" Jace, I assure you that I will do fine without it. Please just remove that...thing away from my face and eat your food."

" Sorry can't do that. You are going to try this steak and you are going to like it."

Meghan surveyed his movements as he rose from his side of the booth around the table and sat directly next to her. Still holding his fork in the air.

" Will you move back to your seat. I don't want to taste it." She giggled moving away from him.

" No, no no. C'mon, here." He said pulling her back. He held the fork at her lips.

Meghan stared at it intently tucking her lips into a thin line. She looked to J.C. who was staring at her with eagerness. When she shook her head ' no ' once again, he nodded his head 'yes '

Inching his face closer to her's his warm breath tickled her nose as he co erced her sweetly. " For me." He spoke with an innocent gaze tapping her lips with the fork.

She could sense that he desperately wanted to laugh from the smile playing on his lips. But seeing as he was looking so good tonight, she just had to give in.

" If I get sick, I'm knocking on your door ok." She warned then relunctantly opened her mouth allowing him to slide the fork inside.

" Good?" He questioned watching her silently chew. Gently he tucked one of her stray auborn curls behind her ear for her.

She was quiet for a second taking a moment to swallow the food.

" I'll live." She spoke with the tinest of grins. J.C. narrowed his eyes on her breaking out into his own smile. " I'm kidding. You were right. It's pretty tasty."

She confessed as he moved back to his original side of the table. He grinned triumphantly.

" I knew you would like it." He spoke sipping from his drink. " You want another bite?"

Wiping the corner of her mouth with her napkin, she kindly declined.

" Let's not get too drastic now. Baby steps ok. Baby steps."

J.C. threw her an enchanting stare. His green eyes gleamed under the dim lighting of the private area of the retaurant. Meghan returned his stare with one of her own as he reached over the table to take her hand into his.

Continuing on with light conversation, J.C. held onto her hand a moment longer before a male waiter approached their table and he broke the contact.

" Sorry to interrupt but would you two care for a refill of our finest champagne? Compliments of our manager."

" Please, thank you." J.C. spoke kindly as the waiter then poured their drinks.

His eyes averted over to Meghan with pure admiration as she sat back and looked on with a smile on her face at the waiter while he refilled her glass.


J.C. kept his hand on the small of her back as he escorted her to her door. She handed him back his coat that was draped over her shoulder.

" I had an amazing time tonight. It was absolutely wonderful. Thanks so much for such a great dinner, I really enjoyed myself with you."

" You're more than welcome beautiful. But I should be the one to say thank you for letting me take you out. I don't think I could have asked for a better date this evening. I mean, you and that dress. You really blew me away tonight. You look beautiful mami." He spoke sincerely

She blushed twirling the single red rose in between them that he had given to her earlier.

" Thank you."

Resting his hand on her cheek delicately, J.C., leaned forward and replaced his touch with an airy kiss.

" You're welcome." He told her peering into her eyes. Closing the distance between them, his lips began to descend onto hers as she gladly accepted the initiation. The kiss was short and sweet. Just the way he intended it to be, but nonetheless it was enough to send a small shiver coursing through both their spines.

Parting, the tingly feeling of his lips still lingered on hers.

He ran his thumb alongside her jawline and whispered. " Have a goodnight Meghan."

She smiled warmly.

" Night Jace."

Another feather light kiss on her lips and J.C. strolled from her doorstep over to his car. Unlocking her front door, Meghan sighed happily to herself and bit down on her lip giddily.

Dashing toward the kitchen to place her rose in a vase, she tossed her purse and keys aside, filling a vase with cold faucet water and dropping the rose inside. Removing herself of her heels, she carried them in her hands and released the clip from her hair on her way from the kitchen and toward the stairwell.

" What a night." She breathed pressing the tiny red button on her answering machine located at the side table on her way up the steps.

'One unplayed message. Message recorded at 10:19 p.m. August 5th....

' Ahem....ummm, I know that I'm probably the last person that you would expect to call but....umm....yea, when you get this can you please call me back? I know that you're probably thinking that I must be outside of my mind right now but, I just....I really kinda need to talk to you. Soooo, yea, get back at me ok. Hopefully you still have my number which I doubt but, if you don't here it is: 784-0745. I'm serious about this Meghan. Call me alright? Ok, um... bye.'

Her hand frozen in place on the banister, Meghan blinked slowly. Finally making her way back down the steps with her shoes still in hand, she stood before the answering machine as it beeped.

That was your last unplayed message. To hear this message again, press 1. To save this message, press 7. To delete this message from your phone, press 9.

Staring blankly at the machine, Meghan slumped her shoulder bringing her thumb to her lip and taking a moment to nibble on her nail. Upon making her selection she mildy fingered a button then turning on her way back up the steps toward her bedroom.

You have deleted this message from your phone. There are no more messages, Goodbye.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: cheaterj soloj marriedj