I sat on my special chair for Junior, relaxing. I just put him to sleep with a warm bottle of milk. My eyes were slowly fluttering shut, when Whitney interrupted me.
"Kieele, your man is here."
Other days I would jump up and go to the door, greeting him with a smile, but I'm tired. I reply a weak "okay," and I can hear his footsteps coming closer to me. I shut my eyes, imagining myself sleeping, but I can't do that. Justin is staring at me through my closed eyelids. I open my eyes and look up at him.

"K, what it do?"
I stare at him for a bit more, my face emotionless, until my mouth breaks into a small smile; he takes my hand and leads me to the couch, putting my feet on his lap.
"Have you slept?" he asks, rubbing my feet.
I moan at the gentle, soft, ticklish feeling it's giving me. "Not that much, but I will. What you doing here?"
"I came to see Junior and you, but all I'm getting is your feet."
I laugh gently, swinging my legs over him. "Junior is asleep, Jay, and I'm all yours," I say, sitting on his lap, about to lean in for a kiss, when Whitney walks in.

"Justin, where's that boy, Danny?"
Justin moves his head to see Whitney smiling. "He's a lazy punk," he pauses as she still waits for an answer, "Whit, he's sleeping."
"Why can't you lazy mo-fo get a watch and wake up like the rest of us. Morning is non-existent in their minds," Whitney went off cussing to her room.
I watched Justin look at his watch. "Do you have to be somewhere?" I ask softly.
"Nah, I'm thinking I can satisfy you in 10 minutes, eat, watch football, then go back with you, have a shower and go to work."
My jaw fell open at what Justin just said. He was obviously in a good, playful mood 'cause he was smiling like a fool, wagging his eyebrow for my approval, which he wasn't going to get.
"Kieele, you know you got a big mouth. I wonder if some of my goods can fit."
He pushed it now! I hit his arm and got up.
"Kay, I'm playing. Come back!" he said, laughing as I carried on walking down the hall.
I didn't have to look behind to know he was coming. Just as I opened my door, Whitney stepped out in her work clothes. I check the clock for the time. "Aren't you early?"
"Isn't Justin early? I'm not staying to hear, y'all. Bye," she waved as she walked out the apartment.
Justin picked me up kicking the already opened door to my bedroom.

I slept for an hour, and Justin laid by my side, sorting out his work stuff. I stirred, stretching out. Something my body was in great need for.
"K, you'll kick me off."
I stopped and opened my eyes to him. I didn't think he would stay and not complain or whine.

"Justin, are you okay?"
"I'm-"
"Lying," I said, knowing the next word was going to be a lie.
"I haven't said a lie yet. I gave money to my pops to buy some groceries, since he been complaining that I don't trust him. So, I gave it to him and all he buys is alcohol, crisps and grapes. What the fuck can you make with that shit?"
I sat up, listening to him. I placed my hand over his. He still cared for his dad, even though he was a drunk, and Justin was always helping him. Justin was the one bringing the money into his home.

"Justin, you know you can come eat here."
He turned to me, putting his papers down, "Yeah, I know. This is the only place I eat good proper food. K, I was thinking about you."
"Thinking isn't good for you, Justin," I joked, smiling.
"You got jokes, Kay, you got jokes. Nah, like, I was really thinking about you."
"What about?"
"You look good pregnant."
"That's what you were thinking about? When I had a fat stomach, when you complained and whinged more than me about having to be celibate, and my mood swings?" I ranted on.
"I get it, Kay. Nah, I'm just saying you're beautiful."
My face softened and I stared at Justin. He looked back at me, his eyes shining.
"What's brought this on?"
"I hear ya, Kay. You think I don't. I know you wanna go, and I promise we will. Wait," he said, stopping me before I could cut in. "I always promise, I know, but we will leave. I just need time to draw up my map, Baby."
I couldn't believe what Justin was saying. I was always the one bringing up this conversation, and he hated it. The look on his face shows he's serious.

"Okay," I whispered. It wasn't an answer I wanted to give, but that was all that would come out. Justin stood up and moved around my room to the window, which had a chair by it. He sat down, looking outside. I wanted to say something, ask him what was bringing this all up, why was he acting different.

"K, you know my ma?"
"Uh-huh."
"Well, I was reading the paper. Don't say anything. I was reading, and at the back there was a woman who gave birth. Her name was Lynn."
"Where?"
"Orlando"
"You think it might be her?"
"Maybe. I don't care anyway. I was just saying. It's not like I'm going to go there," his attitude has changed, and he was becoming slightly bitter towards the chat about his ma.
"You've always wanted to go South."
"Not to see her. Shit, Kay. I'm going to check on Junior."
"Justin!" I called, but he just walked out. I sighed. Justin was touchy when he talked about his parents or family. Justin's private life is private. Sometimes private even from me. Way back, back when I was small, I had always known Justin, but he was becoming the next best entrepreneur and we didn't talk, but he came back and life for him fell apart, and we met up again when I was in high school but he was a very different Justin to the one I had grown up with.

I climbed off the bed and slowly walked to the baby room, and found Justin changing Junior's diaper. I smiled. Now and then I caught Justin being the dad I wanted him to be, but I wish it was more often. I stood at the door, watching Justin without him knowing. He looked up to me when the door shut.

I stood behind him, wrapping my arms round his waist.
"Kay, I gotta go." I frowned. I was hoping he might come out with me and Junior. Spend some time together like a family would do. "I have to go out too."
"With J, right?"
"Yes, of course. I thought you might wanna come."
"Nah. I got some work to do, but another day," he turned around once he finished Junior. His hand ran through my hair, then landed on my shoulder.

"Kay, don't look at me like that. We will, us three. Where you going anyway?"
"Park," I answered.
"You ready for that? You tell me who looks at Junior a little longer than necessary."
"It's just the park."
"What about that argument?" He asked, countering.
"What about the whipped cream after? We sorted it out, it's fine. I'll be okay."
"You sure? I don't want you upset."
"Justin, you have each and every one of your boys watching Junior," I smiled, kissing his hand, "I'll be fine."
He sighed, looking down then back at me. He leaned in for a kiss. I wrapped my arms around his neck, and his arms snaked around my waist. I pulled away, gasping for a breath.
"You better go."
He nodded. He kissed Junior, then me one more time. His phone rang as he was ready to walk out the bedroom.

"Kenny, what it do?" I tried to listen, bringing Junior out.
"Trace and Danny fighting with who? A'ite, I'll be there soon." Shoving his jacket on, he whispered, "Call the boys."
"Bye,"
He looked over his shoulder and shot me a pearly smile, and shut the door. I held onto the table, balancing myself. Damn that boy, making me weak on the knees!



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story