Chapter 29: Communications Problems

 

            JC and Lexi were in his room talking and working on Isadora shopping assignment when Chris walked in.  He had talked to all of the other guys and got their input on his plan, the only one left to talk to about it was JC.  But Chris wasn’t going to do that in front of Lexi.  JC may still trust her but he didn’t and he didn’t want her to tell Isadora what he was up to until he had everything in order.  As luck would have it that is when they heard what sounded like a car door slam.

 

            “I wonder who that could be?” Lexi asked.

 

            “That is probably Isadora; she disappeared after she handed out the catalogs and stuff.  No one seemed to know where she went.” Chris explained.  That may have seemed odd to the guys but Lexi knew that it was completely normal and would probably happen more than they think.  It went without saying that Isadora had her own way of thinking, which often left others wondering.  But her absence had given Chris time to track down each of the guys and ask them about what they wanted without worrying if she would walk in on the conversation. 

 

            Lexi excused herself and left the room.  She thought she should go see if Isadora needed any help with whatever she was up to.  It was after all now her job to do so now and as fun as it was hanging out with JC, she did have other things to do today.  Chris waited for her to disappear before going in and taking a seat beside JC’s bed.  He took the time to ask JC how he was feeling before getting into the details of his plan and trying to figure out what JC wanted from the deal.

 

            When Lexi reached the stairs she found Isadora standing in the entry way struggling with some large bags.  She just smiled and motioned for Lexi to follow her into the dining room, where she put the bags on the table and began to pull the stuff out.

 

            “I thought you had work to do today?” Lexi asked looking over the contents of the bags.

 

            “I did but after spending about an hour trying to track down your friends, I realized that we needed a better way of communicating.  Since I told you that I wouldn’t use the system I needed another plan, plus the system really is only a one way form of communication.” Isadora quickly explained, as she opened one of the boxes and pulled out a brand new iPhone. 

 

            “So you got them all phones?” Lexi asked but the answer was apparent. “Wait a minute why are there 6 phones?”

 

            “I got you one too.  That old piece of junk you have isn’t going to cut it in the corporate world sweet heart.  You need something a little more up to date and I added you to my plan so you have international calling and unlimited everything.  So you have no reason not to answer when I call or text you.” Isadora explained handing her the box with her name on it.  The people at the phone store had been very helpful in labeling them all so she wouldn’t get confused.

 

             They got each phone out and entered in the phone numbers for Isadora, Lexi, Rachel and the other guys.  They were sure there would be more that the guys would need but they would get them in there later.  When it came time to hand them out Lexi told Isa that she knew where JC and Chris were but that it had appeared as though Chris was up to something.  Isadora didn’t seem concerned about it and headed up the stairs to deliver the phones to them any way.  Lexi made a point to say something in the hall to warn the guys that they were approaching.  Despite what Chris may have thought about her she was still on his side and she didn’t think that he was up to no good.

 

            When they walked in both guys were just sitting there smiling trying not to appear guilty.  They both picked up their clothing request and handed them to Isadora, assuming that is what she wanted.  She quickly scanned them before folding them and putting them in her back pocket.

 

            “Thanks, I got you guys something.” She said handing them both a box and a gift card.  They both looked at them curiously.  “I need a way to keep in touch with you.  It’s a big house and I can’t seem to keep track of you guys.”

 

            “Okay but what is the gift card for?” Chris asked.

 

            “What is the point in having an iPhone if you can’t put crap on it?  You know Apps, games and music.  Whatever you want.” Isa explained.  She added that she had set up the Wi-Fi and put a few numbers in there for them.

 

            “Thanks, this is really nice of you.  But you didn’t have to.” JC said. 

 

            “You said you wanted to keep in touch with Lexi, now you can call her whenever.” Isadora teased.  “It’s no big deal it actually makes things easier for me.  I don’t suppose you have seen your friends recently?”  Chris knew he probably was the last one to see them and most likely knew where they were plus taking her to them would give him some time to talk to her.  If he was going to do this then he had better get to know his future wife. 

 

            “I think I know where they are, I can take you to them.” He offered as he got out of his chair.  He made sure to take his new phone with him.  They were about to walk out when Isadora paused.

 

            “Lexi will you be joining us for dinner?” She asked looking back at her friend who was standing in the middle of the room.  JC looked at her a little puzzled; he had just assumed that Lexi would be living with them in the house.

 

            “Yeah sure, what are you having?” Lexi asked.

 

            “I haven’t decided what I am making yet, but don’t worry it will be good.” Isadora stated.

 

            “Wait a minute, you actually cook?” Lexi wondered, for some reason that seemed odd to her.  She had imagined that the millionaire had her own private chef or something.  And as for her living situation Lexi was staying in Isadora’s guest house until she found a place of her own.  She was grateful to Isadora for everything that he had done, but she really needed to stand on her own two feet.

 

            “Yes, I cook.  I am actually pretty good at it though cooking for this many people should be interesting.  It may be something simple tonight.” Isadora reasoned.   With that she followed Chris into the hallway so the he could take her to the others.  “Last night you said you wanted to talk to me, was that for real or just the drugs talking?” She asked once they were a little ways down the hall.

 

            He chuckled a little under his breath.  “I didn’t say anything stupid, did I?” He asked.

 

            “No, you were just mumbling, mostly to yourself I think.” She recalled.

 

            “I do need to talk to you.  I figure after all that you have done for me; I at least owe you a second date.  Maybe you could set something up and we could talk over dinner?” He asked sounding a little hopeful.  She smiled despite trying not to.

 

            “You don’t owe me anything.” She explained, but he gave her a look to let her know that he wasn’t buying it.  They owed her way more than even she was admitting to.  “Fine, but you set it up this time.  I am free Friday night and that should give you enough time to make some arrangements.  Hopefully you are feeling better by then.  If you need help ask Lexi, that is after all what she is there for.” Isadora explained.  There was some excitement in her voice. 

 

            Chris just nodded in agreement and guided her into the living room where two out of the 3 where trying to find something to watch on TV, while Lance sat slumped over the sofa arm sound asleep.  Isadora motioned for them not to wake him.  They turned in their shopping list as well and agreed to give Lance his phone when he woke up.  Joey and Justin thanked her and started to play with the new gadgets right away.  After all most of the TV channels were geared for women so finding something to watch had been a challenge. 

 

            Isadora just smiled then started for the kitchen, by now the day was almost over and it was time to start dinner.  The guys would probably eat and then head to bed.  Isadora was even thinking of doing the same, but she also hadn’t gotten much work done today.

 

            “Do you need a hand?” Chris asked, after all he was still trying to figure the woman out.  Now he had 4 days to either man up or chicken out.  Isadora just shrugged, she was more than capable on her own but if he wanted to follow her around like a lost puppy who was she to stop him.

 

            After talking to JC about whatever was going on with Chris and explaining her living situation to him.  She thought it best to track down her friend again.  JC hadn’t told her exactly what was going on, mainly because he was in on it as well.  Just that it had something to do with what she had said about being nice to Isadora and more or less letting her have what she wants.  It was not like Chris was hurting anyone, JC told her that it was best to just let it run its course and not get involved. 

 

            She found Isadora busy stirring a large pot on the stove, while Chris was standing at the counter copping vegetables for a salad.  They had made the most of small talk, covering a wide verity of topics while he watched her dance around the kitchen.  Now they were at a loss for words.  She was clearly a very gifted person with many talents.  It was also clear that she was trying extra hard not to make Chris uncomfortable.  A few times they had bummed into each other while preparing dinner, each time she seemed to dart away from him, which was ironic since he was trying so hard to get close to her.

 

            “What the hell is that smell?” Lexi asked not sure she even wanted to know.  Isadora just laughed, it was their dinner.  The concoction boiling in the pot in front of her did have an aroma all its own but it was actually very good once you tried it.  She motioned her friend over to her and gave her a sample before getting the seal of approval.  “How about that, you can cook.” She joked and then took a seat at the bar.

 

            “So what were you two talking about?” Lexi questioned, spinning in her seat a little.  She was trying to get the two of the talking again.  After all she wanted things to work out between them.

 

            “Nothing.” Chris sighed; maybe having someone else in the room would be a good thing to get the topic a little more interesting.  “I can only assume that you have told her everything about me, but you didn’t tell me anything about her.  I feel that I am at a disadvantage here.”

 

            “I just told her who you were and that you were living in hell.  Was I wrong?” Lexi explained.

 

            “No you were not wrong.  And you were right about us being better off here.  That doesn’t mean that I forgive you for lying to me when I asked you that night if you knew her.” Chris snapped.  He was still annoyed by her little lie but he also wanted to see Isadora’s reaction to him being a little aggressive.  If they were going to spend the rest of their lives together it was a side of him that she would have to get used to. 

 

            “Fair enough, will I at least be able to earn your trust back?” Lexi wondered.  He just shrugged; he wasn’t sure about that yet.  Isadora did her best to stay out of it but she did wonder if Chris realized that he was going to need Lexi if he really wanted to plan a date night for them.  It wasn’t like he could call and make a reservation; no place would take him seriously.  But she would let the two of them sort it out.  Once dinner was ready she sent them both to set the table.

           



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story