Chapter 30: The Talk

 

            The next day was just as nice, no one was waken up in the morning by the sounds of any one being sick and the smell of breakfast filled the whole house with its inviting aroma.  As they sat at the table eating breakfast everyone seemed in high spirits.  Even JC was there doing his best to sip on the glass of juice in front of him, as much as he wanted to partake in the meal, Rachel had cautioned him about trying solid foods before he was ready.

 

            It wasn’t until Isadora excused herself from the table to get some work done that they realized that they weren’t all on vacation any more.  Some of them actually had to work.  She paused between JC and Justin, putting her hands on their shoulders, an action that still made them a little tease even though she didn’t mean any harm.

 

            “Sometime after lunch I need you two to meet with me individually for a few minutes.  Just come and knock on my office door when you’re ready, any time after noon.” Isadora requested and both men just nodded in agreement.  JC was pretty sure his meeting had something to do with what Lexi had said about Isadora wanting to talk to him about whatever was going on between them, but he wasn’t sure why she needed to talk to Justin.  It looked as though today he was going to have to face the music.  He still wasn’t sure what he was going to tell her.

 

            The guys lingered around the dining room table for awhile, not really sure what they were supposed to do today.  Other than the 2 meetings Isadora hadn’t really give them any other directions.  It was clear they just needed to relax but they weren’t used to the extended time off.  They had nothing that they wanted to do, no hobbies to fall back on at the moment.  They were all a little burnt out on music and knew that a time would come when they would have to return to it so it was best not to force it right now. 

 

            It wasn’t long before Lexi got out some papers and began working on some things right there at the table.  It was her job to keep an eye on the guys so it wasn’t like she could retreat to the guest house to work and she wanted to get a jump start on some things for Isadora.  They had big plans for the guys once they were feeling better and that is what Lexi was starting to put together.

 

            One by one the guys slipped away leaving just Chris and Lexi at the table.  He had waited everyone to leave for a reason, once it was clear that they weren’t returning Chris got up and slipped into the chair beside Lexi.

 

            “Can I help you?” Lexi asked, not taking her eyes off her work.

 

            “I am trying to plan a date with Isadora for Friday and I need your help.” Chris stated, taking a minute to look over the paperwork in front of her.

 

            “I suppose I could help you, that is if you are ready to forgive me.” Lexi teased.  Chris shook his head; she wasn’t going to get off that easy.  He was still mad at her but needed her help, he didn’t know enough about Isadora to plan a good date for them and he had already tried to call a few places but they refused to talk to him without his master’s permission.  Most of them were shocked that he had even been allowed to use the phone.

 

            “If you don’t help me I will tell Isadora that you aren’t doing your job.  I tell her that her new assistant failed to assist me.  Now who do you think she is going to side with, that man of her dreams or the friend that has already bailed on her once?” Chris asked.  Lexi took a deep breath and groaned, damn it he was right.

 

            “I am sorry about that, what was I thinking, of course I would be glad to help you.  What exactly is it that you need Mr. Kirkpatrick?” Lexi asked a little sarcastically.  He smiled at her as she turned to face him.  She put her pen down and put her knees up against the table to give him her full attention.  Chris carefully explained to her about the date and his issues with calling places.  He also admitted to not knowing Isadora well enough to know what she likes.  “Well, she hates Mexican food but she was telling me about this one Mexican place that has this salad that is to die for.  She said that she hasn’t been there in awhile, it’s a little more on the side of casual dining, if that is what you were going for.”

 

            “That sounds good, what else to people do on dates besides eat?” He asked.  Lexi laughed, she probably hadn’t been on a real date since he had.  Things were different now so it was hard to tell what people did when they dated, truth be told many people probably didn’t date.

 

            “I guess there is the usual stuff… movies, plays, visiting attractions, bowling.  I supposed night clubs are out of the question?  What kind of budget did she give you?”  Lexi wondered.

 

            “She didn’t say.  I would guess keep it on the affordable side.  And yes I have had enough dancing and drinking to last me a lifetime.”  Chris explained, realizing that what Isadora could afford was just about anything, but he didn’t want to burn through anymore of her money that he needed to.  The evening was supposed to be about getting to know her and maybe propositioning her.  Lexi offered to call the restaurant and set up the reservation and print him out a list of movies that were playing.

 

            “I didn’t bail on her by the way.” Lexi added as she jotted down a few notes. 

 

            “You had a difference of opinions and then ran away to L.A.  Sounds like you bailed to me.” Chris explained recalling what Lance has told him about the conversation he had with Lexi a while back.  Of course Chris has inquired about it after Lexi admitted to knowing Isadora.

 

            “Isadora and I were in different places.  I needed to get away from her and be on my own. She wanted to take care of me.  She wants to take care of everyone.  Even now she doesn’t understand my need for my own place and as grateful as I am for this job, I want to prove to her that I can do this without her babying me.  I guess I need to put aside whatever personal issues you and I are having and do my job.  Through planning your love life was not in the job description.” Lexi carefully explained, all the while avoiding eye contact with him.

 

            Perhaps Chris had gone a little too far with his black mailing but he needed her to work for him and yeah he was still bitter with her.  Before he could say anything Lexi apologized about the rant.  It wasn’t any of his business what had actually happened between them and he need not concern himself with it.  He got up and was about to leave when he stopped.

 

            “You know there is nothing wrong with letting someone help you as long as you don’t come to depend on them permanently.  I think in the back of your mind you are starting to believe that too.  I have every reason to believe that you planned this whole thing from the start.  You’re using your friend weather you want to admit it or not.  Just keep in mind that you aren’t the only one with a plan.  You stay out of my way and I will stay out of yours.”  With that Chris walked off.  It wasn’t like Lexi could rat him out and if she didn’t know something was up by now then she was dumber than he thought.

 

            Some time passed and Lexi made sure to do what Chris had asked her to do, what he had said was weighing on her mind.  Sure she was using Isadora but it was working on in her friend’s favor as well. Yes Chris was planning something but JC had given her reason to believe that it was a good plan that wouldn’t hurt her friend, she trusted JC.  She was looking down at the sandwich that she had made Isadora for lunch but the young entrepreneur had not come out of her office to retrieve it.  Lexi was debating on taking it to her when JC walked into the kitchen.  The concern must have shown.  He asked her right away if she was okay.

 

            “You would tell me if Chris was up to no good, right?” She asked looking up at him. 

 

            “Of course I would, why do you ask?” JC wondered.  Lexi told him about the conversation she had with Chris earlier and what he had accused her of, she didn’t try to deny that there was some truth to it.  But she added his admission to having a plan of his own.  “Don’t take it personal but Chris doesn’t trust you, he just wants some assurance that things are going to play out in his favor.” 

 

            When he asked about the sandwich on the counter Lexi told him that it was for Isadora.  He looked at the clock and offered to take it to her, after all it was nearly one now and he was supposed to meet with her some time after noon.  It was time to fess up to whatever was going on.  Lexi wished him luck and sent him on his way. She knew what it was about and maybe getting it out of the way would let her know if her plan had been a failure.  Chris didn’t know it but her plan was pretty much played out, she had gotten the guys away from Jade and landed her dream job.  Now she just planned to ride it out.  Getting to be with JC on a more personal level was just a bonus.

 

            He knocked on the door and waited for Isadora to invite him in.  As he walked in Isadora seemed a little caught off guard, it was clear that she had lost track of time.  She quickly checked the clock on her computer.

 

            “You missed lunch so Lexi made you a sandwich.  Is now I good time to meet with you or should I come back?” JC questioned handing her the plate.  She quickly moved some papers to make room on her desk.

 

            “No you can stay, I can multi-task.  That is if you don’t mind watching me stuff my face.” Isa explained.  Her relaxed attitude somehow put him at ease.  JC took a seat in one of the chair that were facing her massive desk and waited for her to start the conversation.  Isadora took a big bite but made sure to clear her mouth before speaking.  “I wanted to get your take on what is going on between you and Lexi?”

 

            “Why, what did she say about us?” He asked.  Isadora just laughed a little a shook her head.  It was clear that JC was a little nervous to be having his conversation with her.

 

            “I am sorry sweet heart that is not how this works.  I already got her take on the situation now I need yours.  After you tell me, then I will let you know if you two are on the same page.”  Isadora explained.  JC just hung his head for a minute, while he thought about what to say.  He had already expressed a desire to stay in touch with Lexi.  Isadora had to have known about their date, maybe not the details, but she had charged Jade for breaking the contract.

 

            “I don’t think I can describe it.  She is very special to me.  I love spending time with her but I didn’t have much free time before we moved here.  We had a very nice date night which I am sure you heard about.” JC rambled on.

 

            Isadora smiled; sometimes it was what people didn’t say that said the most.  She ate while JC continued to ramble on about what they had been through together.  Isa was waiting for him to get to the point he was trying to make.  It wasn’t until after a long pause that he sighed heavily and admitted that he might be in love with her.

 

            “Are your feelings for Lexi going to in any way affect you ability to work with her professionally?” Isa asked, seemingly unphased by his admission.  It was clear that if they perused their romance there would be times when they didn’t see eye you eye.  She didn’t want any of their personal lives spilling over into the work place and creating problems.

 

            “They haven’t yet.” He answered.  “So am I in trouble or are we on the same page?”  It seemed as though neither of them were ready to admit to more than the other but it was clear that there was something going on and that it was in Isadora’s best interest to support it for now otherwise they would just continues to sneak around behind her back. 

 

            “You’re not in trouble, yet.  I just hope you two know what you are getting yourselves in to.” She watched as JC smiled. 

 

            “So we can explore a romantic relationship?” JC questioned, not that they hadn’t already.

 

            “Yes, but I don’t want it to affect your work and I don’t want to end up in the middle of it, you’re both adults.  It’s up to you guys to work it out or end it.”  Isadora reached into her desk draw and pulled out a box of condoms that she placed on her desk and slid toward him.  He picked it up and looked at it.

 

            “What are these for?” He asked with a raised eye brow.  She was in no way endorsing it but if they were going to have a little fun it was best to be on the safe side. 

 

            “Just in case, I guess.  She is my friend though; I would keep that in mind.  The guest house is still technically my property so if you wanted to visit her...”  Isadora wasn’t going to come right out and say it.  “Any way let me know if something changes, provided that change in some way affects me, otherwise I don’t want to know.”

 

            JC thanked her and got up to leave, he wanted to tell Lexi the good news.  On his way out Isadora asked him to find Justin for her and send him in with a soda. After all she needed something to wash the sandwich down with. 


Incomplete
Bastet_Baby is the author of 5 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked Supremacy System also liked 66 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story