Therapy took it’s toll on everyone around JC.  He screamed and yelled in frustration, threw things (but never at someone, having learned his lesson), cried in pain, and laughed in joy.  JC had lost so much muscle mass from his time in the coma that he had to build it all back up. 

But JC was determined.  He spent hours at therapy every day, many of the hours were on his own, trying to get back to the shape he had been in before the accident.  Once he had been released from the hospital, he moved into a private rehabilitation center where his condition would still be monitored and therapists were on call during the day. 

JC had convinced Lisa to stay the nights while he was still in the hospital, but after he moved, she went back to stay with Joey and Kelly once more.  She made frequent visits to JC’s therapy sessions, but now that he had been gaining strength, she came less often. 

There were some days in the beginning of therapy that JC had been so frustrated he had started to take his attitude out on her until he calmed down and realized what he was doing.  After that, he always apologized and tried to make amends. 

JC’s mouth was tight and the area around his mouth was completely white from the strain, but he was running.  It had taken weeks to build back the strength he had lost during his three-week coma.  But he had done it, he was running on the treadmill!  The therapist stood close by to help if he needed it, but JC was determined to do it by himself. 

Lisa stood out of his sight, watching proudly.  He didn’t know she was there and the treadmill came to a stop and he hopped off just as she was about to announce herself. That was when JC turned to the beautiful therapist and pulled her into his chest.  He ducked his head and gave her a long, intimate kiss. 

Lisa’s heart broke at the sight, she took a step back, but backed into a chair  causing it to skid across the floor making a screeching sound.  It caught the attention of the two in the embrace.  

JC looked up startled, annoyance on his face until he saw who had interrupted them.  The annoyance transferred to Tina’s face instead, but there was also a hint of jealous anger there as well.  JC’s face transformed into a brilliant smile.  He sat heavily on a stool that was close by and wrapped an arm around Tina’s waist, pulling her close to his body.  She flashed a triumphant smile toward Lisa that went unnoticed by JC. 

“I was running, Lisa, did you see me?”  He exclaimed excitedly, breathing heavily. 

“I did, Jace, I’m so proud of you, you have come so far!”  Lisa hoped that if he detected any tears in her eyes, he would attribute them to joy at seeing him running. 

“I’m not up to my dancing days yet, but soon, I think.”

Lisa chuckled, “You have to remember that you’re not as young as you were back then anyway.”

JC choked on the water he was drinking at her statement as Tine threw her a dirty look.  “I’m going to forget you said that.  Anyway, I was thinking that this calls for a celebration and what better way to celebrate than with my girlfriend and one of my best friends.”  He caressed Tina’s waist as he looked between the women. 

Tina whispered loudly enough for Lisa to hear, “JC, I thought it would just be the two of us tonight.  You promised.”

JC drew back from Tina as he looked up at her in shock.  But before he could give voice to what he was thinking, Lisa interrupted.

“Actually, I can’t go.  I just came to talk to you for a moment.”

Lisa couldn’t believe that she was about to do this, but she could no longer stand by and watch JC with all these other women.  She thought they were becoming closer as they had spent so much time together since JC’s accident, but apparently JC still only thought of her as a good friend.  Kelly had tried to convince her to hang on and Lisa had agreed until she walked in and saw JC and Tina in an embrace. 

“Sure, what’s up?”  JC pulled another chair over next to him and patted the seat. 

Lisa hesitated, glancing at Tina.  JC caught the hint.  “Can you give us a sec, babe?”

She smiled down at JC, leaning over him so her hair hid their faces from view as she gave him a lingering kiss.  Straightening up, she tossed a haughty look at Lisa as she sauntered away from JC, never leaving earshot. 

Walking over to sit next to JC, she took a shaky breath.  “JC, I’m so happy that you are doing so well.”

JC waited and when she didn’t say any more, “That’s what you came to tell me?  You seem so serious.”

Lisa looked deep into JC’s eyes, “I just came to tell you goodbye, I’m going back home to Ohio.”

JC rose on his quivering legs, “What are you talking about?”

“It’s time.”  Lisa said simply.  

“But – but  -  is it money?  I can give you money.  I can hire you as my assistant again.  I promise I’ll be so much better now.”

Lisa shook her head, not willing to listen to his protests, her mind already made up.  “JC, you know as well as I do that we do better as friends than we ever did as employer and employee.”

He sank back down next to her, “That’s true, but why now?”

She shrugged, “I think it’s time, I was making plans to go back home when you had your accident….”  Her voice drifted off. 

JC sighed.  “Your mind is made up?”

Lisa nodded, “Yeah, it is.”

“Are you going back for good?”

“I don’t know yet, we’ll see, there are lots of divas out here that need an assistant so after I take off for a couple of months, I may come back out.”  An offer for him to come visit her died on her lips, she wasn’t sure that she could deal with a clinging girlfriends presence in her home.   

Giving a wry smile, he nodded, “And some of those divas have changed their ways, thanks to you.”  He grabbed her hand tightly in his.  “I’m going to miss you.  I can’t thank you enough for everything you’ve done for me and for sticking by me even when I was a jerk.”

“I couldn’t do anything less.”  Lisa lowered her lashes, afraid he would see too much in her eyes.  “Well, I’ve just got a few things left to pack then I’m outta here.”  She stood and tried to pull her hand away, but JC just put it around his neck as he pulled her close for a hug.  Even thought he had been sweating, she still loved how he smelled.  There was a hint of his musky deodorant mixed with the sweet smell of his sweat. 

Drawing back, he said, “You’ll call when you get there?”

“Yeah,” she stepped back from his embrace.

“You know I’m going to be calling to see what you think about the show, right?  Remember how you used to give me your opinions on how I judged the dance teams.  I’m not letting you off the hook that easily.”

“Sure, I’ll be happy to let you know where you went wrong, you knew I have those decades of dance experience.”  She laughed since she had two left feet. 

“I look forward to it and I look forward to your return out here, where you belong.” 

“Yeah, well, I’d better get out of here.  You take care of yourself and keep working at your therapy.”  Lisa turned toward the door, wanting to exit before she started crying. 

“Hey,” he called to her.  “Don’t forget me.”

She spun around, walking backwards for a moment, but never stopping.  “I won’t, I couldn’t.”  The smile left her face as she left the building.  “I won’t forget you, but you’ll forget me.”

Chapter End Notes:
Don't hate me - this story is over, but go read "I'm Not That Girl."  I'm already planning out the next story.  And as always, let me know what you think!  Thanks for reading!

Completed
Lew is the author of 19 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked Assistant also liked 93 other stories.
This story is part of the series, Could She Be That Girl?. The next story in the series is I'm Not That Girl.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: assistant jc