It was late. 

And it was way past when Liz should have been in bed.  She was exhausted from working so many hours and then on top of everything, there would be a charity event for the flood victims she had been working with the next night.  Somehow, Liz had been the lone volunteer stuck with finishing the set up of the banquet hall after everyone else had gone home to their nice, warm beds. 

With a final look around to make sure no details had been forgotten, she left the hall, locking the door behind her and looked nervously across the dark parking lot to her car.  Rushing now, she hurried to her rental car, pushing the unlock button so that the headlights on the car came on to help guide her way.  Once inside, she immediately turned the car on and flipped the heater on high.  After typing the hotel’s address into her GPS, she tugged off her gloves and began to follow it’s directions.  As she pulled onto the road, a light snow began to fall.

It would take a good half hour to make it back to her hotel for the night, but at least tomorrow she could sleep in before heading back to the hall for the charity event.  She would make it her personal goal to make sure the evening went as smoothly as possible and hopefully raise plenty of money to help the flood victims with some of their basic expenses.  There was a local band that had volunteered to perform so with any luck a huge crowd would show up.  Tear down would hopefully go smoother as there were more hands willing to help.  Then she would be heading home for Christmas!

She was literally counting the hours. 

Glancing at the car clock, she mentally calculated the time difference between the east and west coast.  Deciding that her boyfriend would still be awake and that she needed someone to talk to so she could stay awake, she pressed the speed dial button and held the phone to her ear. 

“Hello?”  JC answered distractedly.  She could tell that he hadn’t checked the caller id first. 

“Hey.” 

His tone softened as he recognized her voice.  “Hey, Liz, what’s going on?”

She let silence reign for a moment as she just listened to him breathe, the low sound of music playing in the background.  “I miss you.”

“Liz…”  She could hear the music stop in the background and the squeak of his chair as he turned his back to the soundboard, focusing on their conversation, no distractions.  “I miss you, too.”  His voice was tender. 

Liz was tired enough that his words brought tears to her eyes.  She swallowed hard trying to keep the tears out of her voice.  “So what are you doing tonight?”

She wasn’t successful at hiding anything.  JC caught the hint of tears and became concerned.  “What’s the matter?  Why are you calling so late?”

“Nothing is wrong, I’m just on my way back to the hotel and missed your voice.  We haven’t talked for what – 3 days –  due to our schedules?”

“Elizabeth, what are you doing out so late?  It’s 2 in the morning there!”  His voice turned slightly scolding and brought a smile to Liz’s face at his concern.  “There is no reason that you should be out that late especially since I’m assuming that you are alone!  Or am I wrong, is there someone there with you?”

Pausing long enough to make him suspicious was all the cause JC needed in order to start yelling.  “WHY are you out so late alone?  You and I both know that you don’t always work in the safest areas in the daylight, let alone being in them during the middle of the night!  What is so important that you are out this late?” 

His words brought a smile to Liz’s face as she sped up to pass a car on the highway.  “Am I allowed to talk now or would you like to yell some more?”

“You may talk now.”  How Liz loved his playfulness. 

“Jace, I think I’m getting too old for this, I’m just so tired of traveling all the time and dealing with all the sadness in this world.  One disaster is cleaned up, but then another one comes right along behind it.  Is it too much to ask for a little time for myself?  I’m getting very close to burn out, I think.  How do you take a step back when so many people need you?”

“Awww baby…”

“You know what, I don’t want to get into this right now.  I called you because I miss you and I’m tired.  I don’t want to talk about all this when I can’t think straight.  I called to hear about your day and have you distract me from mine.”

“When is your break for the holidays?  It should be starting soon, shouldn’t it?”  JC wasn’t quite ready to leave the topic behind yet. 

“Yeah, I have the charity event tomorrow night, then once we get everything cleaned up, I’m heading back to the hotel and packing for my flight home.  My flight leaves in 32 hours and 45 minutes.  Not that I’m counting or anything.  Are you still heading down to your parents for Christmas?” 

“Why do you have to help clean up since you set up the whole event?  Shouldn’t someone else be in charge of that?”

Snickering, Liz asked, “When have you ever known me not to follow something all the way through – never.  You just have to take me as I am.”

“And that’s one of the reasons I love you, but I hate how much this is stressing you out.  How long a break are you taking at Christmas?  Why don’t you come down to Florida with me?  My family would love to meet you and spend some time with you.  That way you can leave your cell phone at home and not take any calls.  You could really rest and rejuvenate.  I worry about you, you know.”

“Hmmm…how long are you going to be there for Christmas?”  Liz was beginning to consider it. 

JC sensed her softening and seized the opportunity.  “Not sure yet, but I’m willing to work whatever you need around your schedule…just think – sunshine…warm weather…long walks on the beach…perfect nights under the stars at my house…you and me…uninterrupted time together.”  JC knew exactly what to say. 

Liz smiled at the eagerness in his tone as he worked his charm on her.  “Let me see what I can do.  I would love some uninterrupted time alone with you – it’s been so long since we have even seen each other.”

“So it’s high time we fix that.”

During the rest of her drive, Liz laughed until she cried happy tears as JC knew exactly what to say to lighten the mood.  They had spend so much of their time on the phone and got to know one other that they could pick up on the minute tones of the other.  So as Liz entered the hotel, JC could tell she was a lot calmer and more relaxed than she had when they had first started the conversation. 

Once Liz was safely ensconced in her hotel room, she knew she needed to head to bed so she started to wrap up the conversation even though it pained her to do so.  “Thank you so much for tonight, I still miss you, but I feel so much better now.”

“Anytime baby, you know that, I’m glad you are feeling better.  You sounded pretty down earlier.  And you are still thinking about Florida, right?”  JC pressed his advantage while he could. 

“Absolutely…Now I’d better hit the shower then bed.  It’s almost 3 here and I’m tired.”  She kicked off her shoes and began to slip out of her jeans as she spoke. 

“I love you, Liz.  Don’t ever forget that or that you can call me anytime day or night.”

“I love you, too, JC.  Thank you and good night.”

“Night, sweet dreams.”

“Always…of you.”  With that, she hung up the phone and spent the rest of the night doing exactly that.  Dreaming of JC. 

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading and don't forget to review!


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: proposal marriedjc jc