“Stop fussing, you look perfect and you’ll ruin your make up.”  Madison scolded Taylor, pulling the girl’s hands away from her face.  “He’s going to swallow his tongue when he sees you.”

 

Taylor’s eyes widened.  “I hope not.”  She studied herself in the mirror for another moment, still unsure of this decision.  “I can’t believe I’m doing this.”

 

“It’s going to be so much fun!”  Madison was ecstatic when her best friend called her up for advice and help getting ready.  She knew there was no change that Taylor would go to prom, so she didn’t hesitate when she got the call. What made it even better was that Justin Timberlake was taking Taylor. 

 

Speak of the devil, the doorbell rang through the house, announcing his arrival.

 

Taylor glanced over at her friend, her eyes wide with nerves.  “I think I’m going to be sick.”  She stated, holding her hand to her stomach. 

 

Madison tutted at Taylor, pushing the other girl out the door.  “No, you’re not.  Now, let’s go get Prince Charming and knock his socks off.”

 

The walk down the stairs felt like a million miles to Taylor.  She tottered slightly on her heels, not used to wearing anything but chucks.  She kept her eyes to the floor, afraid to look at anything but the stairs she was walking down.  When she reached the bottom, she could see Justin’s black shoes, shiny and polished.  His sharp intake of breath grabbed her attention and she looked at him.

 

“Wow.”  He let out the word on a puff of air, his eyes drinking her in.  “You look beautiful,” he whispered.

 

Taylor offered a smile, nerves fluttering wildly in her stomach.  “You don’t look so bad yourself.”  She liked how he looked in a suit.  It fitted his frame well.  She was used to seeing him in basketball uniforms and jeans.  This was a very nice change.

 

“I think we all look like a million bucks,” Madison chirped, breaking the tension between Justin and Taylor.  “Let’s go.  I’ve got a date waiting for me.”

 

The teenagers piled into Justin’s car, Taylor sitting rigidly next to Justin in the front seat.  She was nervous, her heart racing and her stomach doing somersaults.  She never imagined she would go to the prom.  Things between her and Becca were so tense and hostile, she didn’t think she would want to.  For most of high school she had allowed Becca to take the spot light and treat her like trash.  Now, though, sitting in Justin’s car, dressed to the nines…Now, Taylor was ready to stand up for something she wanted and not give in to her sister.  She deserved this night just as much as Becca did.

 

“Hey, we’re here.”  Justin’s hand was warm on her bare shoulder, and Taylor jumped.  “Sorry,” he grinned at her, “I didn’t mean to startle you.  You zoned out for most of the car ride.  We’re here.”

 

“Oh, shit.”  Taylor didn’t remember the drive at all, and now that they were in front of the school gym, she felt her hands start to shake.  “Are you sure this is a good idea?”

 

Justin’s chuckle sent warmth through her limbs.  He got out of the car and came around to the passenger side, offering his hand out to Taylor.  “This is the best idea I’ve ever had.”

 

“If you say so.”  She let him help her out of the car, leaning into his side as they walked toward the entrance.  Music was pumping and cars were pulling in at a rapid pace.  Madison had gone ahead to meet up with Eric and her date, Kyle. 

 

The lights were flashing as they walked through the entrance, Justin handing someone their tickets.  It took a moment for her eyes to adjust, but when Taylor could finally see, she wished she couldn’t.  It seemed as if all eyes were on her and Justin as they walked around the tables, looking for their seats.  Whispers brushed against them, and Taylor knew that it wouldn’t take long for word to spread that Justin brought someone other than Becca.

 

“I’m going to find Madison and Eric,” Taylor had to talk loudly so Justin could hear her.  “I’ll be right back.”  He nodded, giving her a small wave as she got swept into the crowd.

 

Justin found their table, calling greetings to his friends and slapping hands with his nearby teammates.  “Dude, don’t look now,” one of his buddies nodded to someone behind Justin, giving him a meaningful look, “Queen Bitch at your back.”

 

He knew the moment was coming, but it still didn’t make him want to face her anymore.  With a groan, he turned to see Becca storming across the room in his direction.  He offered her a smile, which made her face contort even more.

 

“What the fuck do you think you’re doing?”  She screamed, pulling the attention of everyone within twenty feet towards them.  “How could you bring that bitch?”

 

Justin held up his hands, stopping the torrent he knew was about to come at him.  “First of all, she’s not a bitch, so you better watch what you say.”  He spoke calmly, trying to keep his voice quiet and this conversation private.

 

Becca had other plans.  “You fucking asshole!”  She screeched at him, “I can’t believe you would come with that…thing!”  She turned to see all eyes on her, and she took the opportunity to cause more of a scene.  “She’s totally trying to steal you away from me.”  She was certainly on a roll now.  “You…you cheated on me with that bitch!”

 

Besides the pulsing music, the room was silent as they watched the showdown.  Justin was trying to keep his composure, but it was difficult when Becca was being so ridiculous.  “You know damn well I didn’t cheat on you with anyone.  We haven’t been together since I caught you sucking Trey’s dick in the backseat of his car.”  Fury laced Justin’s words.  Normally, he was much more of a gentleman, but she’d pushed him too far.  “And as for Taylor…she’s probably the coolest chick I know.  She’s smart, she’s beautiful, and she’s got way more class than you’ll ever have.”  He turned, about to move away when he spun back around.  “I can’t believe I ever wasted my time on someone as shallow and vindictive as you.”

 

Becca was left wide-eyed and silent as Justin stormed off.  Conversation erupted around them as word spread throughout the room.

 

Justin headed for the doors, needing air and space.  He had never let Becca get to him so much before, but after his conversation with Taylor today, he just couldn’t let Becca trash talk her sister like that.

 

“What a show.”  Taylor’s voice sounded quietly behind him, and Justin’s head hung.  He was embarrassed that he’d gotten so out of control.

 

“I’m sorry.”  He stuffed his hands in his pockets, afraid to look at the disappointment he knew would be on Taylor’s face.

 

“Don’t be sorry.”  Her hand settled on his arm, warmth spreading through him.  “I…I didn’t know you felt that way about me.”

 

Justin took a deep breath and turned slightly, still in awe of how beautiful this girl was.  “I’ve always liked you, Taylor.  You’re…you get me and I like that.  I just…I never thought you were interested in someone like me.”

 

Taylor’s eyebrow raised in amusement.  “Is that so?”

 

“Yeah, well, I mean, I’m this jock and you’re this super intelligent girl and…”  He babbled for another moment or two, his cheeks flushing crimson when he realized what he was doing.

 

Taylor smiled up at Justin, stepping in closer so she could look in his eyes.  “Thank you for bringing me tonight and thank you for standing up for me like that.”

 

Justin licked his lips.  “You’re welcome.”  His voice was low and husky, and he hesitated only a second before closing the distance between them and capturing her lips with his own.  The kiss was slow, sweet, and it was filled with things that these two had never dared to share before.  Justin’s hands gently rested on Taylor’s back, the heat from his skin setting her on fire.  She ran her fingers through his cropped hair, pulling him closer as the kiss deepened.

 

“Hey!”  Madison’s voice broke through the haze that had settled over the new couple.  “Stop making out, you two!  You’ve got to get back in here!”  Madison tugged Taylor away from Justin, getting a glare from her best friend.  “Seriously!  You just won prom King and Queen!  Get your asses back inside!”

 

There was a pause before both Justin and Taylor erupted into peals of laughter, clutching one another for balance as they made their way back inside the gym.

Chapter End Notes:
There it is!  My first Secret Santa.  I hope you all enjoyed :)

Completed
a_moments_grace is the author of 23 other stories.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story