I hug my adoptive parents and siblings, grabbing my bag and putting it on my shoulder. "There's some sweets in there for you, I know you have a sweet tooth. I packed some snacks I know you like and a few gift cards to a few places I know you like to go when you're on the road. I always have the cell phone with me, so call whenever you feel the need to. I love you and I'm going to miss you," momma tells me.
"I love you too and I'll miss you."
"You're such a trouble maker," Tyler teases, hugging me. "But make sure you remember that if you need me, pick up the phone."
"You're my baby sister and I'll always love you and be there for you," Heather promises, squeezing me tight.
"Be good on tour and be good to Nickolas," papa advises.

Josh is the last to hug me, but he walks me to James' car with him and helps me load my bag in his car. I'm crashing at James' tonight and Nick and AJ will scoop me from there around ten tomorrow. "Are we recording anything this January?" he asks, most likely to get his years straight.
"No," James and I laugh, "That's in 01." We explain it at the same time.
"Do mom and dad know?"
"Yes, they know that I mean after the NSA tour."
"I wish you could come with us."
"I can't, locked in."
"I know, it sucks."
"Agreed."
"I have to get going, the ice cream is calling her," James teases, glancing at me.
"Haha, the cookie dough's screaming your name."
"Ok," Josh laughs, "go have some fun," he tells me, hugging me for the last time until near Christmas and kisses my forehead.

I wave to them and get in the car, James driving away. "It hurts to leave every time."
"I know, I wish we could stay home forever," James agrees.
"It's what we chose."
"We still have our friends, families and each other," he says, scratching my head.
"Yeah, but we miss so much."
"There's going to be a time when we call it quits, that's when we will have all the time in the world to do as please."
A smile appears on my lips, curling the corners of my mouth upward. "I can't wait for those days to start. We can all get married and have kids, raising them together. They'll be best friends."
"You know Joey and Kelly are talking about trying to get pregnant?"
"Yes, and I know they've been together for long enough to be married," I observe.
We pull into the supermarket parking lot and get out, getting our glasses and caps on before we enter the building. We get some cookie dough, ice cream, milkshake stuff, cake and brownie mixes. He had done some minor daily grocery shopping earlier, picking up baking supplies and even got the cheesecake ingredients I need.

Just as we walk in his door roaring with laughter, his house phone rings and I run to answer it. "Hello?"
"Hey, Jazz!"
"Dana! Sup?"
"Check this out, it's for my album coming out in a couple years."
She plays a song, beats are rocking enough to get me to dance.
I hear her voice come over the music, not catching all the lyrics and know it's about the jealous type of guy. Her subliminal way of saying something about Nick's behavior, speaking all volumes at once and I respect it. "It's called 'What If' and it's about a woman who's with a jealous man, her train of thought. I get what you're saying, loud and clear. Good, addictive beats and in your face attitude, it's going to make the album flawlessly different while making the listener want to keep playing it until the data is worn off."
"Thank God, you got it. Thanks for the positivity. Love ya, chick."
"I'll catch you via text or call in a few days, girl."
"Be careful, Jazz."
"Love you, Dana. I'll be cautious."
"Alright. Catch you later."
"Later," I confirm, hanging up the phone. 
"Who was that?" James inquires, his brows furrowing as he puts our junk away.
I join him, smiling. "Dana, I mean Aaliyah."
"Why don't you call her Aaliyah?"
"I dunno, I've just always called her Dana."

"Ice cream or cookie dough?" James asks, holding the options in each hand. 
I pull out a quart of cookie dough ice cream, smirking. "How about both in one foul swoop?"
"Smart ass," he retorts.
"Yeah, I sit on books sometimes."

We laugh and head up the stairs, ice cream and spoons in our hands. We sit cross legged on his bed, facing each other and dig into the dessert once I open it. "Did you tell JC?"
"About what?"
"You and Justin."
"No, I don't think he's ready for that kinda bomb."
"What did you talk about?"
"How proud of me he is, mainly. Touring, careers, our futures, music, making time to talk, being honest with each other and taking breaks between tours. A smorgasbord of topics," I tell him, shrugging my shoulders.
"I guess that's a good thing. Do you realize that when you're not around, sometimes we want to strangle him?"
I chortle, turning red in the face. "I bet. Those have to be the days when he calls and texts me every ten minutes."
"He's pacing back and forth, biting his thumb and mumbling his concerns about you."
I picture it in my mind and giggle. "Jeeze, that's a funny sight!"
"Until it gets on your last nerve and becomes so annoying, it begins to piss you off."
"The four older Boys do that too. Kevin is so much worse when he's livid cuz he's a calm pissed. He's like a tornado or hurricane."
"And I thought C was bad."
I widen my eyes and rapidly shake my head no, my mouth containing a big bite of the frozen treat. I dip my head swallowing and my eyes meet his as my cell rings. "Uh, 'lo?"
"Jazz, two minute warning before he calls."
"Who's this?"
"Bones."
"Thanks," I say as I disconnect the call. "I'll talk to him in the morning."
"Who?"
"Nick."
"Just do it and get it done."
"Don't let me give in entirely, James," I beg. He nods and my cell rings again, I answer it. "Hey," I awkwardly greet him.
"Hi." He's just as nervous as me, both of us allowing a few seconds of silence occur before he speaks his piece. "I'm sorry for what I did and I understand why you're upset," he begins.
"Damn fucking right, I'm still upset!" I shout, James still eating the ice cream as he watches and listens.
"I'm sorry I didn't listen to them and I know I have to change to keep you. Please, Jazzabee, please tell me what to do to convince you to stay," he admits on the verge of tears.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story