Today, she turns 17 and I'm scared to let her go see Nick. Kevin asked if they could celebrate this with us, I don't want to let them and I know it's about her, forcing me to allow it. We're almost ready for her to show up, blindfolded and guided by Justin. After the party, she's planning on going with Nick. "Are we set?"
"Yes, now it is, JC," Lance confirms, minutes before she's supposed to show up.
I get a text from Justin informing us that they're in the parking lot and he just saw the Boys come inside. "Kill the lights," I say, silently greeting the Boys with a silent nod and they return it. Joey turns the lights off and we get into position, ready to surprise her when they come in. 

We hear their feet and become pin drop silent, the door opens and I hear Justin trying to get her to stand still. "Stop moving, Jazz. I'll take the blindfold off for you." 
"Hurry, I wanna see what's so important that I had to wear it the whole way here," she says, impatiently excited.
"Alright, I suppose I can let you take it off now," he teases her, playful as always when it comes to my sister. 
"What is so fucking great about a midnight dark room?" she quips grumpily.
Joey flips the switch, soon as we see them turn on screaming 'happy birthday!' "That'd be why a pitch dark room is so great," Lance tells her, going to hug her.
I see the happiness in her eyes, realizing just about everyone had been waiting in the dark for her. I guess more people had shown up while the lights were off and she almost cries with appreciation. "Thank you, everyone! There aren't enough words to express how much I love you and how much I appreciate this," she shockingly announces.
She begins to mingle with everyone in attendance, making it to me second to last and leaves Nick for last. "Josh?"
I turn to face her, pulling her into a warm hug and kissing her temple. "Sam."
"Did you know?"
"Yes, Lance threatened me with Pixi Stix to my nose."
"James Lance! Never thought he'd do such a thing!" she playfully scolds her childhood friend.
He smiles and pats her head. "Either way, I didn't tell you and it turned out great!"
"You've also spent more time away from me since you've known."
I wince, nodding and admit she's correct. "Yeeeeah," I drag out.
"It's ok, Josh. Thank you." She reaches up, pulling me to her level to press a grateful kiss to my cheek.
"You're welcome," I murmur, pretending to wipe the kiss off and being grossed out. 

She dances at least one dance with everyone, had a great time and it's wound down to about 15 people from close to 130. She's been at Nick's side for the past 45 minutes, keeping it all PG because of Aaron and Angel being here. She comes over to me, smiling ear to ear. "Hey, I'm getting ready to head out with them," she informs me.
"Call me when you get to where you're staying," I remind her.
"I will. I'm staying at AJ's with Nicky."
"What about the little Carters?"
"Bob and Jane are scooping 'em before we bounce, we have to go wait for them outside right now."
I envelope her in an embrace and squeeze her to me, stalling long enough for the other four guys of the group to come over for hugs. "Trying to sneak off without hugs?" Justin asks her.
"We're going to miss your brand of crazy," Chris informs her.
"We'll miss you," Joey reminds her.
"You better call at least three times a week!" Lance demands.
"It doesn't count if it's the same day?" she jokes, squeezing him tightly with her eyes closed and a sad smile on her lips. It breaks her heart to do this every time and not knowing when she & Lance will see each other again. She and Lance have been close friends and both he and I don't see it turning into anything else, the friendship they share means far too much to even risk it.
"No, Sam, it doesn't and you know it."
"Can you blame me for trying, James?" She's never called him Lance, he's always been James to her.

She pulls out of his arms and looks at us, jogging over to the Boys, Aaron and Angel after turning away. "It's going to be strange readjusting to her not being here," Chris sadly admits.
"Like you wouldn't believe," Lance agrees.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story