Looking out the window of your new apartment, capturing the beautiful view of the blue sunny sky confirmed to you that you had made the right decision of packing up and moving. You were at first unsure, being the fact that you had lived in New York for the past 3 years. You had considered moving a couple of times back to Los Angeles because it was closer to your parents and the fact that most of your friends lived in L.A made the decision even more clear. But the main reason that finalized your move was the fact that you and your previous boyfriend Ben’s so called “relationship” had officially ended. You had moved to New York to be closer to him, and your job had an office there so you picked up your life from L.A and moved there. Even though you practically wasted 2 years with him, expecting to spend the rest of your life with him and eventually starting a family with him, circumstances changed when you caught him cheating with several different women, and the fact that he basically told you he was only with you because you were a smart, pretty girl, and that his family liked you.

You remembered that day perfectly well. You were in your tiny kitchen getting ready to prepare your coffee before you had to go to work. Ben, nonchalantly walked in, looking like he had been partying all night. To your surprise, he had in fact been doing so. His black hair that was normally shaggy looked horrible because he had the “coolest idea” of shaving it into a Mohawk. Plopping down on your couch he actually noticed you in the kitchen and smirked. “So Kimmy, watcha’ think of the new do?”

Ben was in a band and owned a small record store in New York so his actual look was the “rocker” type I guess you would say. He always wore t shirts and jeans. Even when you all had met your parents for dinner he wore that same grungy shit and it pissed you off. The fact he never even tried for you was the first thing that got you thinking about a possible future with him. “Um it’s okay, I liked it better when you had it shaggy” you replied as you made sure you had all of your things together for work. You figured a fight would be escalating soon so you tried to hurry and get your shit together so you could leave as soon as possible. You were tired, because you stayed up all night again wondering where the fuck he was and if and when he was coming home. You all shared that apartment but he was probably there 2 to 3 days of the week, following the same excuses such as, “I had a show, or I had to stay late and record.” At first you believed it but after a few months shit got old.

“You don’t like it? I fucking love it! It makes me look more like apart of a band ya know?” He still laid on the couch as I put on my heels to head to the office. I worked at a magazine company and was apart of the fashion column, basically putting my opinion on what was in style, what was not, and researching the new trends of each season. I loved my job and it was my escape from him. “Where are you going, I just got here.” he finally noticed I was about to leave.

“Work. You know I work Monday through Friday 9-5 Ben. I have been doing this the past 3 years. Anyways why don’t we have dinner when I get off tonight? We haven’t seen each other a lot here lately and I miss you.” I said kissing his forehead that smelled like he hadn’t showered in a day or two. Disgusting I know. As I look out my window and remember that day I still question myself why the fuck I put up with his shit so long, but the fact was, the first year we dated he was great to me. But it changed when he started playing in his band more.

“No can do babe, sorry I have to record tonight and then I think the guys and I are going to head to the club to try to promote some of our music. Maybe tomorrow or something?”

I knew what he was up to though. I knew he would be out at a club with a girl named Cammie. I’d heard he had been fucking her for the past month and I figured tonight would be the night I would catch him and end it because I’ve had enough. After work that night I went to the club he always hung out at and sure enough, he was making out with this so called “Cammie” and I left without him seeing me. I had applied for a transfer position in L.A, and when I found out I got it, I packed my shit up and moved. It was the best feeling in the world, especially just getting the gumption to do it and tell Ben about it in a text. Call me immature but he deserved it. Fuck him, I was ready for a new start with my friends and my new life in L.A.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story