Author's Chapter Notes:

I kept forgetting to post this! The last story in the series...

Joey and Elise's story.

Joey sat nervously waiting, his knees bouncing and his hands constantly moving. He played with the salt shaker, the drink menu, anything to keep his mind busy… He checked his watch again and glanced at the door.  Around him, the crowded restaurant bustled with activity, but Joey had only one thing on his mind.  He had to tell her how he felt.  He didn’t know exactly what it was, or where it might take him, but he had to let her know.  Tonight was the night because he and the rest of *NSYNC would be leaving for their tour the next morning.

Checking the door again, Joey wondered what was taking her so long.  It was ten minutes past seven already.  He called the waiter over and ordered a vodka tonic, hoping it would help calm his nerves.  The waiter brought it momentarily, and Joey downed it in practically one gulp.  The last time they had been together had been so wonderful.  The sparks had been flying and Joey wondered if she was feeling the same nervousness and giddiness as he was now.

* * * * * * * *

How can I convince you that you’re really not alone

And I know exactly what you’re going through

Nothing is for certain but there’s one thing that I know

Never underestimate what love can do

* * * * * * * *

Joey fiddled with his tie for the fourth time, making sure that everything was in place.  As he looked up, he saw her come through the restaurant’s revolving doors like a breath of fresh air, and his heart began to beat triple time.  He stood as she walked toward him, praying that the night would turn out just as he hoped.  Her smile lit up her face when she saw him, and he couldn’t help but smile back.

“Joey,” she said, reaching for his outstretched hand.  “Sorry I’m late.”

Joey kissed her soft cheek and pulled her into his arms, breathing in the intoxicating scent of her.  “Elise,” he whispered, reveling in the closeness of their bodies.

Wrapping her arms around Joey’s waist, Elise drank in Joey’s presence, feeling the safety of his strong arms.  Joey held her tightly for a long moment, not wanting to let go.  He could stay like this forever.

* * * * * * * *

I want to show you

Even though there are no guarantees

Just let me hold you

Love can do most anything if you just believe

* * * * * * * *

Joey finally pulled away and met Elise’s questioning eyes.  He simply smiled and pulled out her chair, motioning for her to sit down.

“I’m so glad you could come.  I’ve been thinking about you a lot today,” Joey started.

“Really?  All good things I hope,” she said with a smile.

“Of course!”  Joey looked at the beautiful figure before him, wondering how he was ever going to manage being away from her.

They talked about how their days had been, and ordered their meal.  Joey was trying to work up the courage to tell her how he felt.  He was scared that she would reject him, scared that this would push her away.  The conversation somehow turned to *NSYNC and the upcoming tour.

It’s now or never, Fatone, Joey said to himself.

“I can’t believe you’re leaving tomorrow,” Elise said, her voice wavering.  “This past month has just flown by.”  Her eyes met Joey’s, searching them, wanting to know what he was thinking, what he was feeling.

“Yeah.”  Joey breathed deeply and reached across the table for Elise’s hand.  Her small hand felt so good in his.

“Elise, I…”  Joey didn’t know where to begin.  He wanted to pour his feelings out to her, let her know what was in his heart.

“I have totally enjoyed every moment we’ve spent together since we met.  You and I, we have so much fun hanging out.  I really wish I didn’t have to leave, but duty calls.”

“I understand.”  Elise was on the edge of her seat, waiting to hear what else Joey had to say.

“Everything we’ve shared has felt so right and I don’t want it to end.  Just because there’ll be miles between us, doesn’t mean we have to be apart.”  Joey saw a glimmer of fear in Elise’s eyes.  He hoped that he had made the right decision.  “I want to be with you, Elise.  I want to share my life with you, and know you’ll be there for me.  I know that everything will be crazy with the tour and all but I want to keep this good thing between us alive.”

* * * * * * * *

It can take you to the highest high

Make you sacrifice it all

Love is unpredictable

It can change your life forever

Or it may never hear your call

Love is unpredictable

* * * * * * * *

Elise looked down at the table as she pulled her hand away from Joey’s.  His heart sank.  He had been wrong.

“Joey…”  Elise’s voice trailed off as she tried to sort out the mixed feelings that were racing through her body.  One part of her wanted to be with Joey, but the other part was scared.

“My history with guys has been disastrous.  I’ve been hurt more times than I can count and… I… I can’t go through that again.”  She looked up at Joey, and found his face full of disbelief and pain.  This wasn’t how it was supposed to be.

“We’ll never see eachother and you’re so busy anyway.  And all the fans.  Joey, you’re a huge pop star.  How could this work?”  The words coming out of Elise’s mouth sounded so rational and she wanted to believe them herself, but she was full of doubts.  Joey looked so hurt and she felt his pain as well.

* * * * * * * *

Na na na na na

Love is unpredictable

* * * * * * * *

“It can work, Elise,” Joey said softly.  “I know that I’ve been stereotyped as the flirt and I can’t change the past but I can control the future.  I would never hurt you.”  Their eyes met again and Joey could see the indecision in Elise’s mind.  He had to convince her that this was right.

“I may be famous and there may be girls falling all over me everyday, but here with you, I’m just myself.  I like the normalcy and the laid back lifestyle that is so uncommon.  I can be myself with you, Elise.  There isn’t anyone else who I can share my deepest thoughts with, or reveal my dreams to.  What I feel for you, it’s something I’ve never experienced before.”  Joey was pouring his heart out, hoping that he would make her understand how deeply he felt for her.

“I know you feel it too, Elise.  Don’t hold yourself back from it just because I’m leaving.”

Elise’s heart was pounding.  Of course she felt it, her whole being was filled with love for the man in front of her, but her mind was trying to rationalize the unbearable separation that they would face.

* * * * * * * *

We don’t need to justify and we don’t need to wait

All will be revealed to us in time

And if you intellectualize the meaning of this fate

You may never know what we could find

* * * * * * * *

“Joey, I don’t know.  I just don’t think it’s the best thing right now.  For me.  Or you.”  She was lying and as she raised her eyes to meet Joey’s, she knew he wasn’t buying it.

Joey shook his head.  “Elise, don’t try to tell me that I mean nothing to you.  You have become such a huge part of my life in such a small amount of time.  You’re the only part that is stable and unerring.  I need you to keep me sane.”  He could tell he was getting to her, but he had to make her believe, like he did, that this was the way things should be.

“If you really don’t want this to go on, look me in the eyes and tell me our time together has meant nothing.”  Joey was aiming straight for Elise’s heart.  “Tell me that you don’t feel the fire when we touch.”  He grabbed her hand again.  “Tell me that this doesn’t make your heart race.”  Joey leaned across the table and pressed his lips to Elise’s.  He wanted nothing more than to be able to show Elise how much he cared, and how much he wanted her in his life.

Elise became lost in the moment, her lips tingling and her body pulsing.  All doubts about a relationship with Joey were flying out of her mind.  The sweetness of Joey’s kiss, and the closeness they were sharing began to sweep her away.  She wanted this, wanted to be a part of Joey’s life, to feel the way she was feeling now.  Elise deepened the kiss, wanting to know all of Joey.  She didn’t want this to end.

Brushing his hand against Elise’s cheek softly, Joey pulled away, trying to catch his breath.  For a moment, he and Elise had been one, their hearts in the same place, their bodies feeling the same thing.  This is what Joey had always dreamed he would find.

Elise’s eyes remained closed, and their faces close as Joey’s eyes roamed her beautiful face, hoping that she had seen what they could share if only this night would go on.

“Tell me that you want this to end,” Joey whispered as a challenge.

* * * * * * * *

Don’t keep me waiting

Don’t you keep me hanging on the line

I’m only saying

You won’t know what love can do if you never try

* * * * * * * *

Deep in her heart, Elise knew that she could never say those words to Joey, and she now knew that she didn’t want to.  Though she had been hurt before, the man before her was already a part of her soul and she couldn’t escape the deep feelings that they shared.  To risk it all again for Joey was something she had to do.

Her eyes fluttered open and were instantly drawn to his, which were so full of emotion.  Elise felt like she could see into his soul and everything she was seeing was encouraging her to let her life with Joey continue.

“Joey… I do feel it, too.  You mean so much to me and I don’t-” Elise took a deep breath, mentally committing herself to what she was going to say.  “I don’t want this to end.”

Joey’s heart was soaring as he took Elise’s hands into his.  He kissed each one, hardly able to believe that this amazing thing he was feeling would be able to live on.  He lifted his eyes to Elise’s face as a tear escaped her eye and began to trail down her cheek.

* * * * * * * *

It can take you to the highest high

Make you sacrifice it all

Love is unpredictable

It can change your life forever

Or it may never hear your call

Love is unpredictable

* * * * * * * *

Pain filled Joey’s heart instantly.  “No, Baby,” he murmured as he quickly made his way around the table and pulled Elise into his lap as he sat in her chair.  His hands touched her face as he wiped the tear off of her cheek.

“Don’t cry.  This is so right.  We can make this work.  You and me together.  Oh Elise.”  Joey wasn’t sure what was going through her mind.  She had just said that she wanted to be with him, but her doubts were evident in her glistening eyes and the one tear that had been shed.

“I know Joey.  I’m sorry.”  She looked away, gazing at the busy action around them.  “I’m just scared.”

* * * * * * * *

Na na na na na

Love is unpredictable

Na na na na na

Love is unpredictable

* * * * * * * *

Kissing each of Elise’s cheeks, Joey realized why she had been so hesitant to agree to this relationship.  Elise had been hurt in the past and was worried that Joey might break her heart, too.  He couldn’t blame her.  His life was anything but normal, and to hope for a normal relationship was asking a lot of Elise.  This would take a lot of effort from both of them.

“Look at me, Elise,” Joey said softly.  Elise turned her head and her eyes locked with Joey’s.  He took her hands into his.  “I know that the past is something that you don’t want to be reminded of.  I’ve been hurt, too.  But I promise you, with all of my heart, that no matter where this relationship takes us, I will never hurt you.  What we have beginning between us is something I’ve waited for my whole life.  I want us to share the ups and downs, the goods and bads.  I know it’s not going to be easy or perfect but it’s something we both want and will work at.  We can’t predict what the future will hold, but we can sure try to make it something wonderful.”

Elise smiled as her eyes overflowed with more tears, her heart bursting.  She had to give her all to this man, the man that she wanted with all her being and trusted completely.

“I want this, Joey,” Elise began, her voice trembling.  “I want this with all my heart.  I want to see where this will take us, and… I need you.”

* * * * * * * *

Don’t you wanna see which way this love will go

It can take you to the highest high

Love is unpredictable

It can change your life forever

Love is unpredictable

* * * * * * * *

Elise wrapped her arms around Joey, both of them full of joy and relief.  Joey pulled Elise closer, stroking her hair.  Elise was drowning in his strong arms, feeling so safe and loved.  Magic surrounded them, as two hearts began to form one.  For so long, Joey had imagined holding the woman he loved.  Now that he had found her, he knew that this was just the beginning.  He knew that they would share a lifetime together.

All memories of her past flew out of her mind as Elise relinquished her heart and soul to Joey.  She knew that nothing else could ever feel so right.  Pulling away so she could look into his eyes, Elise knew that Joey was feeling the same things she was.  Words weren’t needed to express the love that was beginning to blossom between the couple.  Joey moved his face closer to Elise’s, finally meeting his lips with hers, and their forever began.

* * * * * * * *

It can take you to the highest high

Make you sacrifice it all

Love is unpredictable

It can change your life forever

Or it may never hear your call

Love is unpredictable

Na na na na na

Love is unpredictable

Na na na na na

Love is unpredictable

* * * * * * * *

Chapter End Notes:

Inspired by the song "Unpredictable" by BBMak.

And that's it... a story with a happy ending to end the series. :)

I hope y'all like reading- I would love it if you leave a review!


Completed
cali_meg07 is the author of 4 other stories.

This story is part of the series, Love Is Unpredictable. The previous story in the series is The Ghost of You and Me.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story