Story Notes:
A new one. I hope you guys like!

One person. There was only one person who that ringtone could possibly belong to. And it was the same person who'd made her spend three minutes with him dancing to that damn song in his car in the middle of Los Angeles rush hour.

"Go to sleep, Josh," she grumbled, rolling over on her side and pulling the comforter over her head.

The music stopped after a few seconds, but moments later, the song started over.

Dale a tu cuerpo alegria Macarena
Que tu cuerpo es pa' darle alegria why cosa buena
Dale a tu cuerpo alegria, Macarena
Heyyyy, Macarena!

"Seriously?" she groaned, throwing the covers off her face. She reached for the phone on her nightstand, blindly in the darkness of her bedroom.

With the bright green light of the cell phone shining in her hands and JC's goofy grin on the Caller ID staring back at her through the ruffled, brown hair that covered her face, Katrina scowled and brought the phone up to her ear to take the call.

"Unless there's a stab wound in your neck or your house burned down, there's no reason to call me at four o' clock in the morning when I have work, Jace."

"Katttt," JC groaned.

"Whattttt?" she mimicked back. "What'd you want?"

"Can you come get me?"

"What?"

"Come get me," JC said again. "I'm at Cohiba."

"The nightclub?" Katrina asked, still struggling to keep her eyes open.

"Yea, that. I got no ride."

"How come?" she yawned.

"Chelsea and I got into a fight and she took the car," JC explained in a mumble as he recalled the name of his girlfriend. "Come pick me up."

"It's four in the morning, Joshua."

"Katrina, just get outta bed and come get me," JC sighed. "I feel like I'm gonna pass the fuck out in a minute."

"That's why you're not supposed to go out and get drunk at nightclubs and then call your best friend to come pick you up hours before she has to go to work because your stupid girlfriend left you there."

"So is that fifteen or twenty minutes I have to wait out here?" JC asked, and Katrina could hear the noise of the club somewhere in the distance from wherever he was.

"Twenty minutes," she mumbled, reluctantly using her feet to kick off the rest of the covers from her body. "Just stay out near the entrance so I don't have to come looking for you."

She heard a faint ‘mkay' before the call was ended.

Hanging up in a sigh, Katrina practically dragged her legs off the bed and onto the floor in the same averse manner she did every year around the holiday season, where she knew she was in for dealing with last minute, crazed shoppers at the store and she was the only one who knew how to cope with them.

Not bothering to even check herself in the mirror, she slipped on the pair of black, fuzzy, rabbit bedroom slippers she kept next to her door before grabbing her car keys off the dresser. Giving her hair a simple flip and glancing over at her kitten, Pixel, she had named it, sleeping soundly on the mat on the tiled floor, Katrina made her way out of the dark, three bedroom apartment and into the corridor without falling despite her sleep deprivation.

Ensuring the door was locked behind her, she stepped into the elevator, folding her arms and tapping her foot impatiently while she waited for the automatic doors to close.

JC owed her for this. And it wasn't the first time.

- - - - -

"I thought I told you to wait out front," Katrina grumbled as JC plopped into the passenger seat. His hair was slightly dishevelled, but other than that, the average woman could really care less as to how his hair looked once they noticed the button down, long sleeved white shirt with the black jeans and sports watch on his wrist.

Katrina, however, was not known to be the ‘average woman' and JC knew that for a fact.

"You reek of alcohol," she commented, screwing up her face a bit. "And Chelsea."

JC chuckled as he buckled his seat belt. "Nice shoes," he nodded toward the bedroom slippers.

He almost forgot that he was the one who bought them for her two years ago when she had first gotten Pixel. He had chosen rabbits rather than cats because he didn't want Pixel to get confused thinking that there were other cats in the house.

"Yea, yea, yea," she murmured as she waited a moment for the engine to turn on before turning back onto the road.

"Thanks for picking me up," JC said, leaning his head back against the leather seat of the Prius and closing his eyes.

"So you just let Chelsea leave with your damn car?"

"I don't even know when she left," JC said. "I was talking to a hot bartender one minute and the next minute, I realize my car keys aren't in my pocket, my car's gone and Chelsea sent me some text I didn't even bother to read. Let's not get into all that."

"You need to go home and get some sleep," Katrina told him.

"Yea, at your place."

She took a second to look from the clear road, to him, then back to the road. "Not my place. I'm taking you home."

"Noo, not tonight, Kat. Chels is probably there waiting for me to come home and I'm gonna have too much of a hangover in the morning to endure her yapping. Can't I just crash at your place?"

"I have to get up for work. In three hours."

"C'mon SmartieKat," JC pleaded, using his nickname for her. He came up with it by combining her last name, Smart, with her first name and wittiness.

"Fine," Katrina gave in. "I don't have the energy to drive all the way to your place, help you up to your room and then drive all the way back to my place anyways."

"How's KittyKat doin'?" JC asked, speaking of Pixel.

"The more you keep calling her that is the less she's gonna respond to me when I call her by her actual name, you know."

"She likes it."

"She likes you, not the name. And she's asleep, so don't make the mistake of stepping on her tail when you're wandering around the apartment tonight."

"That happened one time," JC rolled his eyes.

"Twice," Katrina reminded him with a glare that made JC laugh.

"You're not a morning person these days, are you?"

"I'm not a four o'clock in the morning, ‘gotta get outta bed and pick Josh up from the club' kind person."

"But I'm your best friend so you shouldn't mind. And I said thank you," he pointed out.

Katrina sighed and managed a very small smile when she saw him looking at her. "Yea, well, you're welcome."

"Wake me when we're at the apartment," JC told her, closing his eyes once more and relaxing against the seat. "I'm tired."

"Aren't you always..."

"Well, then, put on Macarena and it'll keep me awake."

"That stupid song woke me up."

"Awesome ringtone right?" JC grinned.

"The best," she said sarcastically.

- - - - -

"Josh," Katrina groaned as she watched JC practically stumble into her bedroom and collapsed onto her bed. "I told you that you could have one of the guest rooms tonight."

JC ignored her, fixing the pillow behind his neck. "Too bad."

"I'm tired, c'mon."

"You come on," JC told her. "You always let me sleep next to you when I stay over here."

Katrina sighed, deciding she was too tired to even bother to argue with him. Closing the bedroom door and ignoring the time that the digital clock next to her bed read, she sunk into the mattress slowly. She could do nothing but smile when the feeling of pure relaxation swept over her body like a wave, immediately removing every particle of stress that was washed on her.

"G'nite," she mumbled to JC, who was still trying to get comfortable under the comforter.

"Wait, hold on."

"Mm?"

He moved closer to her and wrapped one arm around her waist so that the front of their bodies faced each other.

"We're just gonna sleep now?"

"Yes, now stop talking."

"Kaattt," JC whined softly, nuzzling the top of her head with his forehead.

"Josh, stop," she mumbled back quietly.

"Please?"

Katrina pulled away from him and turned to face the other way, away from him. "Not a chance."

"Why not?"

"I have work in a couple hours and you and Chelsea just had a fight and I hate it when you're drunk."

"C'mon, baby."

"I thought you were tired too," Katrina turned her head to look at him.

"I'm never too tired for... You know."

"Get it from Chelsea."

"We've been having a dry spell for two weeks now!"

"Stop making small talk with sexy female bartenders when you guys go out and then maybe you'll get lucky."

"But you alwa-"

"Not under these conditions. Now, I'm tired, you're tired, you're gonna have a heavy hangover in the morning and I want to get outta here before you throw up all over my bathroom."

"So you're not even gonna let me-"

"NO."

"Fine," JC muttered.

"I'm letting you sleep over here, so don't snap at me like that."

"I didn't snap at you, Kat."

"If it helps, you can jerk off here as long as I'm really, really in deep sleep."

"It doesn't help."

"Goodnight Josh."

"Nite," JC yawned, and she felt him move closer to her. "I'm still gonna fall asleep close to you."

"Does Chelsea show you any kind of affection at night?" Katrina giggled.

JC chuckled. "Yea, but she always smells of this expensive ass perfume from God alone knows where. I like it, but you smell more like..."

"Normal body soap?"

"No, more like, comfort, if you know what I mean."

"I'm too tired to try to figure out what you mean so stop talking and let's just go to sleep, kay?"

Katrina didn't even have to wait a full sixty seconds before she felt JC's arm go limp around her and his breathing was soft and regulated. It didn't take long for him to sink back into slumber, but for her, it took a while. Too long if you asked her.

She sighed and opened her eyes, full awake.

She hated nights like these, and you'd think she'd be used to it after all the years she had been putting up with it.

She didn't not want the sex. She was tired. She didn't not want his arm around her. It was just distracting.

She didn't not want him around. She did. She always had him around. At any time of the day, everyday.  He always popped up somehow, at the most random times but she liked it. It made sense, somehow, the way they carried about their friendship.

What didn't make sense, however, was the fact that a night like this could happen, on average, once or twice every couple months. They had a routine.

She complained about picking him up, she picked him up anyways, he insists on staying in her bed, more often than not she'd give into the sex plead, and then they'd both wake up and carry on as though it was the usual thing.

It wasn't a planned thing, it just sort of... Continued to fall into place in that sequence- that irrational, carefree sequence.

 Neither of them thought much of it. It wasn't as though they did anything wrong.

Did they use protection? Katrina wouldn't let him stick it in half the time without some form of it.

Did they classify themselves as the ‘friends with benefits' type? They both knew how those stories ended up, so that was a no.

They never did anything specific to wind up in the situations they ended up in. They just fell into it somehow. It was something the two of them got used to when they were around each other- a cycle.

Katrina sighed and closed her eyes, resting an arm over JC's across her midsection.

She knew it'd only be a couple more hours before they'd both wake up and carry about with their day.

She'd go to work. He'd go back to... being JC Chasez and doing whatever JC Chasez did, until they decided to do something together and he'd simply be Josh.

It wouldn't be long before she'd leave and Chelsea would probably be blowing up his phone. Would JC care? Probably not. He always knew where to find a source of comfort.

And so the cycle would start up again... 

Chapter End Notes:

Review!! Review!!

Please! 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: jc producerjc friendswithbenefits cheaterjc