Justin laid in bed staring at the ceiling of the hotel room. What was the date? Lately all of the days were rolling together and he couldn't keep up. Reaching over to the nightstand, he grabbed his phone and turned it on. 
Match 21st. Twelve years. Damn, how time goes fast. 
It was day they had made history. A day that made them bigger then they ever imagined. Closing his eyes, Justin remembered sitting in a NYC hotel room with the guys that day. They had no idea it was going to do as well as it had. To be on honest, they were down right shocked. 
As his mind went back down memory lane, he realized how much he missed the guys. He missed them. A lot. It pissed him off that everyone thought he didn't care anymore and that he didn't remember where he started. He remembered. If it wasn't for those four guys he wouldn't be where he was today. 
As he looked at his phone as his alarm went off,  he remembered it was Brianna's birthday. She would be turning eleven today. He shook his head, hardly believing she was growing up so fast when he could remember the day she was born like it was yesterday. He would have to remind himself to call and sing her happy birthday later. 
Putting his phone down he closed his eyes for a few more minutes, ignoring the fact that his alarm had gone off. 

"That's a wrap," Director of Trouble with the Curve, Robert Lorenz called. He looked at Justin. "Justin, you are done for the day."
"Awesome, see you tomorrow." 
"Thanks Justin."
Giving him a smile and a wave, Justin headed back to his trailer to get changed. When the door closed he grabbed his phone and sat down in the chair. Call Brianna he said to himself. he dialed the number before he could get distracted.
"Hey Kelly."
"Justin how are you?"
He could hear the smile in her voice. "Good and yourself?"
"Pretty good."
"Still in Atlanta?"
"Yes. Is little miss Brianna there?"
"She sure is, hold on." 
The phone went silent for a few seconds until he heard Brianna's sweet voice. 
"Hello."
"Happy birthday," he began to sing. 
He sang the whole song for her and could hear her giggles which made him smile. 
"Happy Birthday Brianna," he said when he finished.
"Thank you Uncle Justin."
"Are you having a good day?"
"Yea, we are going to have a big party when daddy gets back from Las Vegas this weekend."
"Good, did you make him get you a horse yet?"
Brianna laughed. "No Uncle Justin. I just want barbies."
"Well that's good."
"When are you coming to visit?" She asked.
"I don't know, I'll have to sneak away some time soon."
"You should. Hey Uncle J did you hear what happened to Uncle C?"
Justin stomach dropped. "No Bri what happened to Uncle C? Tell me."
"I heard mommy talking to Uncle Chris about him. I don't know what happened, but she got upset."
"Put mommy back on."
"Ok. Thanks for calling Uncle J."
"You're welcome honey. I hope you have a good day, alright?"
"You too. Here's mommy."
"Ok, I love you."
"Love you too." 
He heard as the phone was passed back to Kelly.
"Kelly. What happened?" He was concerned.
"I don't know all the details Justin." Her voiced wavered against her will. "Chris is on his way out to LA. I hope to hear more when he gets there. I tried calling Karen but I didn't get an answer I'm assuming she's on her way as well."
"Kel, what happened?"
"He was in a car accident J." Her voice was went to a whisper."His car hit the median."  Kelly took a deep breath. "I don't know much more then that. By the sounds of it, it's pretty bad Justin." 
Justin couldn't form words. 
"Justin if you get time off you might want to head back to LA. I know you two haven't really talked in a while and I know that things are strained between you, but if he doesn't make it..."
"He'll make it Kelly." Justin couldn't even consider Jc not making it. 
"I hope so. I'll tell Chris or Joe to call you."
"Thanks Kelly. I'll talk to you soon." 
"Alright. Thanks for call Brianna, you made her day."
"It's my pleasure," Justin said smiling. 
"Bye J."
"Bye."
Justin hang up and quickly dialed Chris' number, but there was no answer. Leaving a message, he hoped everything ok with Jc. Kelly had been right thought. He and Jc hadn't talked in awhile. Yes they had seen each other, and talked on occasion, but it was just a ordinary conversation, nothing like what they use to share. Taking a deep breath Justin changed his clothes and headed back to the hotel. 

For the rest of the day all he could think about was Jc. Why did it have to happen to him? Why? Jc had always been such a safe driver. What could have happened to put him in the median? It didn't make sense to him. He sat in the hotel room checking his phone every five minutes hoping someone would call and tell him what was going on. He tried Chris again, but there was no answer. In frustration he throw the phone on the bed and walked over to the window.
There were things he should be doing, but his mind wasn't there. It was on the fact that one of his best friends just got in a bad accident and was laying in a hospital. He prayed that they had drugged him for he was sure Jc would be freaking out over the needles. Right then his phone went off he dove for it, landing on the bed.
"Hello," he answered with as much urgency. 
"Justin, baby what happened to Jc?" His mom's voice rang in his ear. 
He sighed and sat up on the bed. "I don't know everything mom."
"The news just said he was in some sort of accident?"
"I don't know. I tried calling Chris a few times but he hasn't answered. Kelly said he was on the way there."  
"Justin you should go."
"Mom, I can't."
Lynn took a deep breath. "Baby, Jc should mean more to you then a stupid movie. I know you two have drifted apart, but if he doesn't make it, you're going to be in even more pain."
"Mom he will be fine,"  Justin said immediately. Why was everyone saying he might not make it? They didn't know Jc like he did. He was a fighter. "He's just is banged up, he'll be fine."
"You don't know that Justin. What if he does die and you don't go see him? I know you will never forgive yourself. Justin, he is one of your best friends. You darn right know if anything happened to you Jc would be right there no matter what was going on between you two."
"I know mom." Justin heard a beep that told him he had another call. "Gotta go mom, someone is calling me."
"Ok baby, call me when you find out."
"I will."
"Go to LA Justin."
"Ok, bye."
"Bye." 
Justin clicked his phone to the next caller. "Hello?"
"Justin."
"Chris," he said with a sigh of relief. " Have you seen Jc yet?"
"Yea." 
Justin could hear the sniff, which told him it was bad. "Tell me Chris."
"It's bad Justin. He's..." Chris couldn't finish. The tears just flowed down his cheeks in a never ending stream. "I've never seen him this banged up." 
"I'm coming out there." Justin stood up and looked around the room for what he would need. 
"You should, Justin. I'm calling Joey and Lance next."
"Do they know what happened?"
"I don't know."
"Chris, what happened? Jc drives so safe."
"All I know is that he was driving and someone hit him, sending the car into the cement wall." 
"Is he awake?""
"Every now and again. They are trying to keep him sleeping so he can heal, but he's got so many injuries. They're just not sure." 
"Ok I have to take care of something and I'll be on my way. Call me if anything changes."
"Ok J. Hurry, ok? I don't think I can be here alone."
"I'm coming Chris." 
"Alright bye."
"Bye."
Hanging up Justin quickly called his assistant. She was not happy to say the least, but he didn't care. His mom was right. Jc was more important. He was family.  Grabbing his suitcase Justin headed out the door and to the airport. 

Next time he felt himself actually blink was when he was standing in front of Jc's hospital room door. He had been staring at the door for the past few minutes, not sure he would be able to go in. What would Jc look like? Before he could reach down and open the door, it swung opened. 
"Justin."
"Chris." 
Chris shifted on his feet. "I didn't think you were going to come."
"I needed to come. I told you I was coming."
Looking at his friend, Justin could see the tears starting to build in his eyes. Reaching over he grabbed Chris's shirt and brought him close, hugging him tightly. 
"He asked for you," Chris whispered closing his eyes. "Joey and Lance are in the waiting room. They said their goodbyes."
Justin pulled away from Chris. "This isn't goodbye." God damnit, why was everyone still saying that? He wanted to scream.
"It is Justin. The internal bleeding isn't stopping. There's  nothing they can do for him."
Justin shook his head. This wasn't happening. "No." 
"I'm sorry J." Chris stepped out of the way and out into the hall. 
Giving Justin one last look, he walked down the hall to the waiting room. Justin took a deep breath and walked into the room, but he had to stop when he saw Jc laying there. Putting his hand up to his mouth he swallowed the bile that was trying to force its way up. 
Pulling himself together, he quietly walked over to the bed and stood over Jc. It took everything in him not to run out the room and never look back. Sitting down he took the older mans hand into his. Jc stirred and slowly opened his eye that wasn't swollen shut. 
"Chris." His voice was just above whisper, a far cry from what it normally sounded like. It made Justin ache for the Jc he once knew so well. 
"No C, it's Justin."
"Justin?"
Justin closed his eyes hearing Jc say his name. "Yea, it's Justin."
"I can't see you." 
Justin moved to the bed sitting gently next to him. Jc released his hand from Justin's and softly ran his fingers along Justin's cheek bone. 
"I've missed you."
Justin choked on a sob and talked through the tears that were building. "I've missed you." 
"I need to tell you something."
"What's that?" Justin asked taking his hand again and putting into his. 
"That I'm proud of you. It's been too long since I've told you that."
"Please Jc, you have to pull through this. I'll promise you anything. Why did we stop talking? I should have called more. I should have treated you better."
Justin knew he was rambling, but he didn't care. He wanted to beg Jc to stay with him.
"It just the way life happened Justin." 
"No. I was an idiot. I took you for granted."
"Hey, stop," Jc whispered.
Justin could see him trying to smile, but saw only pain in his eyes. 
"I didn't call either Justin. It just became simple for us not to speak. Life got in the way, which is a poor excuse, but it happens. It's both of our fault."
"I know we didn't talk much but I'm begging you pull through this fight. I'll do anything. We'll do another Nsync record, we can write music again together. Just please Josh, please," Justin sobbed.
"You're too busy for Nsync, Justin."
"No I won't be. I need you Jc. I always knew that you were looking out for me. I don't want to lose that, I can't lose you. Joey, Chris, and Lance, we can't lose you. You were our daddy. You made sure that nothing happened to us, you kept us on track. Please, I'll do anything to keep you here, anything."
Justin looked up at the ceiling begging God not to take his friend. He looked back down at Jc and took a deep breath.
"C, you remember what today is?" 
He watched Jc shake his head no and closed his eyes. 
"It's March 21, Josh."
Jc opened his eyes at the mention of that date. It rang a bell to him and he searched his brain for the reason why. He knew it was important. Justin watched the recognition run across his face.
"I know you remember," Justin said holding his hand.
"It's NSA day today," Jc recalled after another few minutes. "Today is NSA day?
"It is," Justin said with a smile. "The day we.." 
"We made history." Jc said finishing his sentence.
Justin smirked. "You are always finishing my sentences." 
"Great minds think alike."
"That they do."
"Justin." 
Justin looked back down at Jc.
"Justin, I'll always be with you."
"No, I dont want to hear that Jc. I want to hear that you will fight."
Jc sighed and brought Justin down to his chest and kissed his head. 
"Just keep doing what you're doing, Justin. Make people laugh, and make great music. Show them what I know you're capable of. Be great."
"I want you to see it. I want you to be part of it."
"I will," Jc assured him. "Justin."
"Yea."
"I'll be waiting for you, waiting for all of you."
"So we can sing together?"
"Yes."
"Heaven needs singing angels you know." 
Justin felt Jc take a long shallow breath. He could hear his heart beating slowly. 
"I love you Justin."
Justin sobbed into Jc's chest. He wish with all of himself that there was just something he could do. "I love you Josh."
"Sing." 
Justin smiled and sat up. "What do you want me to sing?"
"Anything that is in your head right now. Just sing ." 
He pulled Justin back down to his chest and waited. Justin closed his eyes and started singing a song he hadn't sang in years. As he started he didn't think he would be able to remember the lyrics, but they came out of his mouth as if he had sang it yesterday. 

Can this be true?
Tell me, can this be real?
How can I put into words what I feel?
My life was complete
I thought I was whole
Why do I feel like I'm losing control?
I never thought that love could feel like this
and you've changed my world with just one kiss.
How can it be that right here with me
there's an angel?
It's a miracle...


Jc smiled hearing Justin sing a song they once sang together so many times. He kissed Justin's head once more and ran his fingers through his short curls as he closed his eyes. Jc was waiting for his peace to come. 

Your love is like a river
Peaceful and deep
Your soul is like a secret
That I never could keep
When I look into your eyes
I know that it's true
God must have spent...
A little more time
On you...

Before Justin could go on, he felt Jc's chest stop rising and falling. He felt his hand go weak in his. His best friend was gone. The monitors rang, but Justin ignored them and sang the chorus again, praying Jc would hear it in heaven.  

Your love is like a river
Peaceful and deep
Your soul is like a secret
That I never could keep
When I look into your eyes
I know that it's true
God must have spent...
A little more time
On you...


"I promise I'll make you proud of me. I promise I'll never lose sight of what's important. I beg you,C. Please show me that you are with me." 
Justin slowly sat up and kissed Jc's forehead. After taking one last look, he got up and walked towards the door. Towards a life without one of the greatest men he ever knew. 

Chapter End Notes:
Song lyrics from God Must Have Spent... Nsync 

Completed
daysgoby is the author of 16 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked Sing One Last Time also liked 14 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story