That Josh kid is seconds away from knocking on our door and I get a good laugh at his nervous demeanor as he stands on our front porch and pulls his hand through his brushed back hair, chewing on the inside of his bottom lip before he rings the doorbell. I watch from my place in the kitchen, my body pressed to the wall like a spy and watch him. He lifts his hand, pointer finger ready to press the button and holds it on the lighted switch for three seconds. I can see him bouncing on his feet, hands jammed into his jeans' pockets and I hear 'Drya come running from the family room. "You're such a jerk," she tells me as she jogs by me.
"I'm doing intel work for mom," I fib to her.
"I'm Princess Diana," she sarcastically remarks, her hand on the door handle and her thumb presses the lever above it, pulling it inward to open it. "Hi, Josh!" she greets him, wrapping her arms around his neck in a hug and he nervously reciprocates the motion.
"Um, hey." He's nervous, more so than when they met earlier and I think I'm gonna toy with him.
"Don't even consider it, Christopher," mom warns me in Spanish and I roll my eyes before turning to smile at her.
"Of course I'm not," I absolutely lying to her, being slightly too sweet.
She raises her eyebrows and crosses her arms over her chest, not believing me for even half a second. "Christopher," she scolds with a Spanish accent, narrowing her eyes at me.
I sigh, knowing I've been busted before I get the chance to make this kid squirm. I know Kate and Taylor will do my dirty work for me. "Yes, mom."

She and Josh sit in the family room on the orange padded window seat, talking quietly between each other and she giggles as he tells her something, talking with his hands and smiling. I'm not comfortable with this, not in the least and I begin considering that it had been a bad idea to have her move here with us. Taylor pulls me out of my thoughts by clambering onto my lap on the couch. "Tay, go climb in her lap and ruin their time," I request, pointing at Pookie and Joooosssshhhh. Insert sneer and eye roll here.

I watch Tay scamper off to their spot from the corner of my eye and see Pook graciously pull her onto her lap, holding her while carrying on her conversation. I smirk when her attention is diverted to my sister, her shirt being tugged downward and I frown as she talks to him while playing hand games with my baby sister. Too much experience with kids, that's what it is. "Shit," I say to myself.
I see her put Tay on her feet, pointing at me and whispering in her ear. I don't like this. Before I could try to react, Tay's running over and tugs my hand in the direction of her room. I can't seem to tell her no, so I follow her into the play room.

Once they say their good-byes and see you soons, having traded phone numbers in the process, Taylor allows me to leave the room she's in. Pookie closes the door and leans on it, sighing as if she had been swooned. "What did you talk about?"
"Hmm? Oh, just family and friends and school and moving," she casually mentions, walking to the fridge with me in tow and getting a drink. "He asked me to attend some tapings and I said I'd have to clear it with Auntie first. He wants me to hang with him a bit more."
My eyes bulge out of their prospective sockets. "ABSOLUTELY NOT! Cassandrya, I forbid you to see him! He's after one thing!" I scream at her, pointing with my finger aimed toward her abdomen.
"He's not like that, Christopher Alan! His momma and daddy are more respectable and Auntie has told me otherwise. He's invited me for dinner at his parents' Saturday evening and she said it was 'polite'. Shove it," she informs me, storming away to her room and slams her door.
"CHRISTOPHER ALAN KIRKPATRICK!" mom hollers for and at me, rounding the corner to the kitchen. "What did you say to upset her now?"

June 17, 1990

"That was not needed."
"Believe me, 'Drya, I know what I'm talking about."
"Be nice, but not sickeningly so," she quietly growls at me, spotting that kid and waving him over. They hug and she smiles. "Hi, Josh. What's new?"
"First day of filming for me, I'm a bit nervous." Their eyes lock right away.
She stands on her toes, quickly kisses his cheek and smiles once she's flat on her feet again. "Little better?"
He nods, a shy smile forming. "Some, thanks."
As I plan the ways I could hurt him if he hurts her in any way, I tune out their conversation because mom tore into me when he came over that first night and have since kept my nose out of her 'friendship' with this kid.
"Could you drop me off at Josh's or can I just stay with him after the taping?"
"What, 'Drya?"
"Auntie said I can go to his house, could you drop me off at his house or can I just stay with him after the taping?" she repeats.
"You can stay with him. Call the house when you get there and before you head home," I tell her.
"Thanks, Chris." She hugs me and kisses me on the cheek.
I'm 5'7" and she's 5'3", this kid is near 5'9" and that's why she has to stand on her tippy toes to kiss his cheek, not so much me. Like I had said a few minutes ago, I'm not too comfortable with her being friends with him, but I don't want to deal with mom's wrath. That means I don't really have a choice in the matter.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story