I had gone to grab my song to finish compiling it with Tony, only to find the entire notebook missing from my bookbag. "This isn't funny!" I shout, hoping the culprit hears me clearly. I spot a familiar book with metal spiral binding poking out from under the chair I had my bag on, feeling like a jerk the moment I realize it's mine. 'Drya is coming down the hall, three of my cast mates with her at the very least.
"Josh, hi," she says, a light blush appearing on her cheeks.
"Hey, 'Drya. I got your message this morning. Do you have a few minutes?" I cautiously say.
She gives Justin, Britney and Ryan a look before they smile to each other, leaving the room promptly. She scoops her black cherry colored hair in her hand to let it flow down her back, it's a few inches above her jeans by now. She makes quick of tying her hair up into a huge messy bun on the back of her head, her deep honey colored eyes focused on me. "I have come to conclude that I still feel as strongly as I had two years ago."
I feel relief wash over me, knowing she feels the same. I can't tell her, but I want to and it kills me to lie to her, to tell her anything different than what she believes. "I lied yesterday."
"No, you're lying now and I can tell before you even begin to speak it." She's caught me in so many lies before, she shows she means business by folding her arms across her front and a stern look coming into her eyes, her face disbelieving as she gently rocks her head side to side. Her stance hasn't changed too much, her hips beginning to be noticeable and protruding opposite from the foot she has diagonally positioned on the floor. "My heart has been in your hands, don't you get that? I'll never stop till the end of time," she whispers, having strutted over to me and embracing me.
Her style had changed, she used to wear loosely fitting shirts that hid her frame and now she wears shirts that outline her frame to compliment her figure. She still wears those flare or bell bottom jeans, jerseys and now has braces on her teeth. I sigh and just hold her close to my body, Tony coming in to check what could be taking me so long. He sees our bodies together in a hug, walking back out of the room without a word and having shared a quick understanding glance between he and I. "I understand now."
"I should let you get back to what you were on the way to do," she reasons, knowing I have work to do.
I bend down to pick up the notebook and notice my bag is unzipped, smiling at her as I walk out. I stop at the doorway and promise to call her later tonight, some time between 8 and 9.

It's minutes before Tony and I are due to go on that stage in front of all these people, 'Drya in the front row closest to the place I'll be singing from. I'm a nervous wreck because of this song, it's for her and I hope she knows. I ensured she would have a ticket through Tony and Christina. I swallow and walk onto that stage, Tony at my side to play the acoustic guitar for this while Disney records it. "This song is called 'Now & Forever'," I intro, silence falling rapidly afterward. Tony begins to play the melody and I sing my heart out, my deep ocean blues on her honey painted orbs as I look for emotions that are very adamant, easily found. Once the song is done and the taping ends, she finds me seconds after Nikki does.
"Was it for me?" my girlfriend asks.
"More for my family and friends, someone I've missed for a couple years," I tell her, seeing 'Drya standing a few feet away.
"Te he echado de menos," she announces, smiling.
I have no clue what she said, but I'm pretty sure it's a good thing because she's smiling. I walk around Nikki to receive a warm hug from 'Drya and truly smile for the first time in more than a year, knowing she's forgiven me now. I'll ask her what she said someday, but this isn't the time to find out. "Thanks for coming today."

I got home and told Heather about what had been said to her best friend, the song I sang. I had to show her the lyrics for her to understand why I had been so nervous, followed by the relief of being emotionally liberated when it was done and even laughed together after I repeated what I told Nikki. Don't get me wrong, she likes Nikki-it's funny because 'Drya had been within earshot when I said it. We sit at the table and have our dinner, mom and dad noticing my smile is real. "Something good happened today," mom comments.
"Yeah, 'Drya and I are talking again."
"Good, maybe you'll stop sulking around the house," dad retorts.
"Make sure you make non-Nikki time to hang out with 'Drya," Tyler informs me.
"I kind of figured that part out," I respond.
Tyler smiles and shrugs at me, aware that's where I messed up last time with her. She probably told both of my siblings, to ensure I'm reminded why she stopped talking to me in the first place and not to have it repeated. The rest of dinner is spent talking about the set, our studies and cast members. We clean up after, retiring to our rooms to do some homework and I wait for 8:15 to come around. I just barely get through my history work when I look up to see there's two minutes left before I want, more like need to call her. My phone rings seconds later, I quickly pick up. "JC?"
"Hey, man. Look, J, I'll talk to you tomorrow."
"Why?"
"I need to call 'Drya."
"Oh, that's okay." He takes a breath, sounding like a bored sigh. "Mention how much you miss her," he reminds me, saying good-bye and disconnecting the call just in time for me to call her.
The phone rings a few times before her aunt picks up. "Hello?"
"Hi, Mrs. Kirkpatrick. Is 'Drya available?"
"Always so polite. Yes, she is. Just a moment."
I hear her call out for 'Drya to pick up the phone in her room, soon greeted with her voice informing her aunt and I that she picked up, wanting to talk to me in a semi-private setting.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story