Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for reading! Here's the next one :)

“Sound it out.”

“Sss-al-a-man-der.”

“Good.”

I look up at him.  “This is pathetic.”

“I called out of work for this, so cut your stupid crap.”

I glare slightly, but look back down at the workbook before he slaps me silly.  “The ss-al-a-man-der’s sk-in bl-end-ss in with the tr-ee.”

“Better.  Now which words in that sentence are nouns?”

“Fuck if I know.”

“Really?”

I sigh.  

“A person, place, or thing, Justin.”

“Salamander and tree?”

“Good.  Now do the next one.”

I roll my eyes, lick my lips, and being to study the next sentence.  “The ss-alamander li-ves in wa-rm cl...” I trail off and peer at the word on the page.

“Climates.”

“Cl-im-ates.”  I hold my head in my hands, frustrated.  “At this rate I should pass the test by the time I’m forty.”

Trace laughs a little and leans back in the chair.  “Lets take a break.”

We’ve been at it since eight o’clock this morning, and I’ve gotten more of an idea of what it’s going to take for me to pass the exam.  Out of desperation, I called him last night.  Naturally, he was confused about why I was at Collins house, so I had to explain all of that to him and apologize about a thousand times for lying to him yet again.  Before I was released from the hospital, I told him I was going to be staying at some shelter, because I was too afraid of what he would say if I told him the truth.  He wasn’t really mad that I was staying with Collins, just that it was the second time I’d lied to him in a month.  I knew better. If I’d taken anything away from my NA meetings, it was that you weren’t supposed to lie to your sponsor.

“You’d tell me if you were using, right?”

He actually asked me that, and I knew I needed to get my act together, fast.

“I’m not.”

He must have believed me, because he skipped on to the next subject after that.  I told him about Carter’s offer, that I needed to pass the GED, and that I admitted to Collins I could barely read.  I also told him about how I lost my temper, threw my book and swore at her.  He told me I was an idiot.

But I already knew that.

She left to run some errands around seven thirty this morning, which baffled me because it was a Sunday, but I figured those errands had to do with her job more than anything else.  She stopped only briefly at my doorway, wouldn’t look me in the eye as she told me to help myself to whatever food I wanted, and that I should be ready when she got back in the afternoon so we could head over to Carters.  I could tell she was still angry, and I guess...I could have been a little nicer to her this morning too.

It’s going to take some time I guess, but I know we both have to pick our emotions up off the floor before we go to her brother’s.  I can’t screw up this job opportunity, because I know if I was able to land a job at a bank, the judge would see that as a major accomplishment.

I could potentially walk out of that courtroom with Ava and never look back.  It’s why I begged Trace to come here and help me with this GED stuff.  To say he was excited that I was finally making an effort was an understatement.  The man has never called out of work before today, at least...not since I’ve known him.  I know he’s sacrificing for me, because he wants me to succeed in my life, and eventually have the things that he treasures above all else.  I have no idea what I would do without him, and I guess I feel bad about taking his trust and guidance for granted all this time I’ve been lying to him.

I won’t blow it again.  I can’t afford to, because Trace has made it clear he won’t be so willing to help me the next time around.

“How many channels do you think they have?” Trace chuckles when we get back into the living room, and flicks the huge flat screen television on with the remote.

I wheel myself closer to the couch, and turn towards the TV while he scans through the different channels.  “A lot more than basic cable offers.”

“This house is crazy.  It would take me and Kate a lifetime to save up a quarter of the money they spent on this place.”

I shrug.  “Your place is decent.”

“Yeah but seeing a place like this, makes that little house seem so insignificant.  I work hard...you know?  Seems like I should be living in a place like this.  That guy she’s with...he probably hasn’t put in a real days work his entire life.”

“Probably not, but that’s how the world works.  Shits on us, while people like that get an easy ride.”

“She seems too good for that schmuck.”

I smirk slightly.  “Are you complimenting Collins?”

He rolls his eyes.  “When she helped me find you that day, I guess it made me see a different side of her.  It doesn’t mean I trust her.  It just means I don’t think she’s as much of a bitch as before.”

“She’s never really been a bitch,” I say gently.  “It just took some time for me to realize that.”

“Justin?”

I look at him, and he’s staring back at me like I’ve gone nuts.  “Well it’s...true.  She’s always sort of cared about me and...she takes great care of Ava.”

“What have I told you about putting your faith in these people?”

“They’re not all like Darcy.”

“They are,” he reassures me before focusing back on the TV.  “When it comes down to doing their jobs, they don’t care what they have to do, or who they do it to.  I’m surprised she hasn’t reported what happened yet, and this whole situation with you staying here...I don’t know what she’s up to, but the minute...the fuckin’ minute you suspect something is going on, you better get your shit and get out.”

I sigh heavily.  I know it’s a battle I won’t win, and the last thing I want to do, is upset him.  He’s been so high on life lately, with the baby coming.  The serious bouts of depression he would fall into a year or so ago, have become non existent.  He excelled at his job, got promoted, and was able to buy a house. His life is set, for the most part, and I’m proud of him, but none of that means he’ll ever change his ways of thinking.  

“I’m just telling you to be careful, and don’t sign anything without talking to Tammy first, all right?”

“You know I wouldn’t,” I smirk.  “I’m not that stupid.”

“That’s what I told myself too.”

I don’t say anything else, and when he goes back to watching the TV again, I decide to keep my mouth shut and let him deal with his emotions on his own.  

“You think she’ll let you out sometime next week for a meeting?” He asks after a while.  “Everyone’s been asking where you’ve been.”

“I...maybe.”  Honestly, I haven’t been thinking much about going to a meeting.  I’ve been so busy worrying about everything else, Ava being the most important thing, that I haven’t had the time to dwell on it.  Although, I know skipping can be bad.  Too many guys I’ve met have relapsed because they let themselves miss too many meetings.  I know the healthy thing would be to ask Collins if she could drop me off or something, but at the same time, all I really want to do is focus on the GED.

“You shouldn’t miss another one,” Trace persists.  “It’s not good for you.”

“I’ll think about it,” I sigh.  “I want to pass this test.”

“You won’t pass anything if your high.”

“Who’s saying I’m going to use?” I laugh a little.  “Trace, you’re paranoid.”

“You’re under a lot of pressure right now, Justin.  Believe me, I’ve been there.  I know how you can decide to use ‘just once’ to get rid of the stress.  It only takes one time, to put you right back where you used to be.”

“I know that.” I say it darkly.  I swear, sometimes he tends to forget how bad off I was.  How I would shoot my veins up with so much shit I couldn’t function for days.  “I’m not going to use.  I’ve learned from my mistakes.”

He crosses his arms.  “I’m just concerned that all of this is going to blow up in your face, and you won’t be able to resist the temptation.”

“Well, you know, I appreciate it, but I’ve got it under control, all right?”

He just shrugs, but I get it.  He’s like family, and if he didn’t care, I would start to worry.  We get lost in Sports Center for a couple of hours, taking complete advantage of the amazing plasma television and the plentiful food supply in the refrigerator.  It’s a little bit past three when I hear the front door open, and I know Collins has returned.  Trace quickly flicks off the television and rises to his feet, as I turn myself around in the wheelchair.

“Hey.” She says it tiredly, plopping her purse on the breakfast bar before focusing on us.  “Oh...hey Trace.”

She forces a smile, and I can tell she would rather not have to deal with him right now.  

“Trace was helping me with the workbook.”  I say it softly, because I know we’re still not on the best of terms, and I find that she can barely look at me when I say it to her.

“You were working on it?”

She sort of smiles, like she’s delighted, and it gets me to smile back.

“Is that a surprise to you?” Trace blurts out, before I can tell her about my progress.  “He’s capable, not completely fucking helpless like you act like he is most of the time.”

She gives him a strange look, and glances at me quickly.

“Trace...” I begin.

“You know, Trace,” Collins interrupts with a small, sarcastic smile, and walks right up to him.  “I think I’ve been completely tolerant of your attitude, and the way you find it necessary to belittle me no matter how friendly I am to you.  But you’re in my house right now...you know?  I don’t remember inviting you but...I guess Justin is your friend, so I shouldn’t deny him the company, even if you are a jerk.”

He just stares at her.

“I mean, is that it? Are you a jerk? Or is there some other reason you have such a big problem with me?  I would think by this point, you would have realized that I’m trying to help Justin out.”

“I’m not a jerk.”  He steps past her and starts to head for the door.  “I just don’t trust you, and I’m trying to make sure you don’t screw my best friend over.  I’ll see you later, J...meeting’s on Tuesday night.”

He walks out, without allowing Collins or myself, to say anything else.

“What’s up with him?” She says, automatically.

“He’s got some issues,” I laugh lightly.

“Apparently.”  She shakes her head, frustrated, and starts back towards the living room.

“He has this grudge against DCF, that’s all.”  I wheel myself closer to her.  “Don’t take it personally.”

She gives me a tight lipped smile.  “I never do.”

“I’m um...sorry about yesterday.”

“Yeah well, I guess I overreacted too.”

I just nod.  I get the sense that she wants to move onto the next thing.  That’s Collins though.  The more I get to know her, the more I realize that she hates to dwell on the bad shit for too long.  “Truce?”

She rolls her eyes.  “Whatever.  Give me a few minutes, and I’ll be ready to drive us over to Carter’s.  He’s called me twice already today, just to make sure I was coming, so be prepared for a lot of awkward inquisition.  I don’t know if you ever had girlfriends in high school...but he’s kind of like this mean overprotective father that won’t stop pestering you about shit.”

I laugh, but it fades quickly.  “The type of girls I dated, didn’t have parents who cared.”

She raises an eyebrow.  “Biker chicks?”

“With leathers.”

“Thought so.  Oh, and by the way, I have something going on here next weekend, so I was going to get you a room in the city.  Is that...okay?”

“What’s going on?”

“Well, I do have a life,” she laughs.  “It’ll just be for the weekend.  Preston is coming home for a visit and my parents are going to be in town, so I have some things to do for the wedding.”

“Damn.  For a second I thought I might have made you reconsider marrying him,” I laugh.  “Yeah, I mean, do what you need to do, Collins.  As long as I can see Ava.”

She sort of stops, and gives me a look like I’ve shocked her.  “Why would I have reconsidered?”

“It was a joke,” I smirk.  “But I do have to admit, he’s not my favorite person.”

“I thought I explained...that whole thing.  He’s really not...”

“Collins it’s fine.  I was fucking with you.  You don’t have to explain him to me.  I’m not spending the rest of my life with him.”

She lets out a harsh sigh.  “I’ll make sure the visit happens, okay?”

“Sure.”

I watch her walk away, having no doubt that she’s dealing with some kind of issue with that guy.  But of course she would be.  The minute I laid my eyes on him that night in the restaurant, I could tell what a sketchy bastard he was.  There’s no way I could ever tell Collins that though.  She wouldn’t want to hear it, and I’m sure I wouldn’t be the first person to talk badly to her about her fiance.  Something tells me she’s had those conversations with Carter too many times to count, but he obviously wasn’t able to talk her out of the relationship, because she’s still getting married.

I tell myself it’s not my problem.  That I have to keep this friendship with her at a professional level.  Yesterday I think we both slipped, started to get lost and let our emotions get in the way of the point of this whole thing, which is getting Ava back in my custody.  I thought about our fight after I calmed down, and convinced myself that she was doing all this, letting me stay with her and doing things behind her bosses back, for Ava’s sake.  So in a sense, she’s really Ava’s guardian angel, not mine, and that’s probably what she always meant to be. No matter what anybody else thinks, my daughters place is with me, and as long as I have the means, there’s no reason why we shouldn’t be together.  I have a shot now, a real chance, and I have to tread lightly with Collins and let her help me out if she wants to, because without her support I know I could lose everything.

Maybe Trace is right.  Maybe I do need to go to a meeting, just to get my head straightened out a little more before I move forward with all these tests and job interviews.

Maybe...Collins can come with me, just to see what it’s all about.  I think she might get more of an understanding of what it’s like to be an addict, what my world has been like for all these years, and even though I usually hate opening up to people, now that I’ve thought things over, I’m starting to think it wouldn’t be so bad to open up to her.

I think I’ll ask her, even though Trace will get pissed off, but this isn’t about him.

This is about Collins being able to understand me, and hopefully, letting me understand her some more, because honestly...she confuses the fuck out of me.  I can never tell what she’s thinking, or what she’ll do next.  She’s unpredictable I guess, and obviously has a sense of adventure inside of her if she was willing to do all of this for me.  I’ve always liked an unpredictable woman too.  That’s what drew me to Ava’s mother originally, only, she was never meant to stay in one place for too long.

I mean, I’m not into Collins.

She’s just...likable.

“Ready?”

I look up, and smile at her as she stands before me.  She’s not dressed in her usual pants suit, or tee shirt and jeans.  No, tonight she’s in a nice sundress and flats.  Her makeup is a little more colorful than normal, and it lights her whole face up.  I can’t help but think that she looks good, even though it’s probably not the best thing.

“Justin?”

“Oh, yeah...I’m good.”

She gives me a strange look, but seems to shake off the feeling as she pushes my wheelchair over to the door and out to the driveway.  She hands me my crutches, and I slowly get up and lean on them as she helps me get into the car.

“You think you’ll be okay with the crutches for tonight? Carter’s house isn’t exactly wheelchair friendly.”

“I’ll manage.” I smirk.

“Great.”  She reaches over and turns the volume up on the radio, concentrating intensely on the road, as if a million different things are on her mind.

“You okay?”

“Hm?” She glances over at me.  

“You seem tense.”

“I just had a busy morning, and preparing myself for Carter’s wife is always a little bit of a challenge.”

“It looks like you pulled yourself together pretty well.”

“What do you mean?” She laughs.  

“You look nice, that’s all.”

Her cheeks turn slightly pink.  “Oh...well, thanks...”

“I’ve just never seen you dressed in anything else except those courtroom pants suits.  You should do this more often.”

“I do.  You’ve just never been around to see me this way before.”

I raise an eyebrow.  “You saying I’ve been missing out?”

“God, shut up.” She slaps me playfully on the arm, and I laugh along with her.  “You cleaned up pretty nice today yourself.  How did you manage to shave?”r32;

“It wasn’t easy, I’ll say that much.”

“I wish you were always in this good of a mood, Justin,” she smiles.  “You’d get a lot more people to like you.”

“I don’t need to be popular.  A couple of friends is enough.”

She stares at me for a few moments, like she doesn’t know what to think.  “Are we friends?”

“I’d like to think so, considering all of this.”

“I just don’t want you to resent me if something happens, god forbid, and...things don’t turn out the way we’d like them to.”

“That’s the system though,” I say softly.  “It’s not you.  I know you’re doing everything you can, Betsy, and if I get bent out of shape, it’s because I’m frustrated.  I feel really bad about last night.  I never wanted to blow up at you like that.”

She smiles a little.  “I know you didn’t.  I shouldn’t have pushed you so hard.  I picked up a learn to read video from the center before I came home today.  I think it will help things move a long a little faster. There’s a workbook that goes a long with it.  You can do it while you watch the video.  It’s a step by step class.”

“Cool.  I’ll start it tomorrow.”

“What was Trace saying about a meeting?”

“Oh...well, I haven’t been to an NA meeting in weeks.  He wants me to start going again.  I know I should, it can be bad if I’m away for too long.  I was kind of hoping that...that you might want to come, you know? Just to see what it’s all about.”

She’s silent.  My heart sinks, and I guess I probably shouldn’t have been so forward with her.

“I...I don’t know...”

“It’s okay.”  I look away from her and stare straight ahead.  “I shouldn’t have asked.”

“It’s not that,” she sighs.  “I just...I’m...I dont’ know what my schedule is going to be like.”

“You don’t have to come, Collins.  I get it.  Trace can just bring me there and back.”

She runs a hand through her hair, and sighs, but doesn’t say anything else to me.  Of course I’m a little confused but I know it’s not that important.  She’s not ready to be around more people like me, and I understand.  Once again, it’s another case of my emotions slipping, not focusing on being strictly professional with Collins.

I can’t do it again.
***********

“Hey! You made it.”r32;

I steady myself on the crutches as I observe Carter hugging his sister for a few moments.  I try my best to smile, but find that I’m so nervous all I can really do is look at the ground when he meets my gaze.

“It’s Justin right?”

I hear Collins clear her throat, and it’s the only thing that makes me look up again.  I stare back into Carter’s half serious, half curious expression as he sticks his hand out for me to shake.  I lean forward a little bit, and swallow back my nerves as I shake his hand.  “Yeah.  Thanks for having me.”

“No problem.  Come on in.  Marilyn is out back with the kids.”

Collins helps me up the few steps that lead into the house, and I can’t help but glance around once I’m fully inside.  It’s a nice house, I can tell that straight off.  It’s bigger than Trace’s but no where near as luxurious as Collin’s penthouse.  Something tells me Carter isn’t about that though.  He’s simpler, more about family life, and it makes me start to like the guy even more.   He escorts us through the small foyer and into the living room, offering me a seat on the couch, which I gladly accept since my leg is starting to bother me.

“We’ll be out in a few,”Carter says to Betsy with a serious tone, obviously telling her he wants to talk to me alone, right now.

Great.

“You’re leaving me alone with your wife?  She’s going to want his life story, Carter.”

He shrugs and pats her shoulder.  “You’re good at making up shit, Bets.  Just try and change the subject.”

She rolls her eyes.  

“Hey you owe me,” he laughs.  “You really owe me.”

With one final, desperate glance my way, she waves a little bit, and walks away.

Now it’s just me and Carter, and I have no fucking idea what to expect.  I tap my fingers nervously on the arm of the couch, while he ventures through the living room and into the kitchen.  The design of this downstairs is all open, so the rooms connect into one another.  I guess that’s good.  This way, I’ll be able to tell if he’s going to get a cleaver or something so I won’t bother his sister anymore.  A picture on the side table next to me catches my eye, and I stare at it for a while, trying to calm my nerves.  It’s a recent picture of Carter with an older gentleman that must be his father.  They have the same chestnut hair, and those eyes that are also a running trait in Betsy too, only she’s not in this picture.  As I glance around, I find it’s the only one that exists of this particular gentleman as well.  There’s another picture on top of the mantle nestled amongst the dozen of Carter’s children and other family photos.  This one is of a much younger Betsy and Carter dressed in caps and gowns...graduation most likely.  Two older adults stand at either side of them, smiling adoringly, a man and a woman, only they look nothing like Carter and Betsy.   

I know from experience, that it’s better not to ask questions.

Carter walks back to the sofa after a few minutes, a few beers and a couple of cans of soda in his arms.  “Wasn’t sure what your preference was.”  He smiles tightly as he plops it all down on the coffee table and positions himself next to me.  “Sam Adams, Budweiser?”

“Oh...I don’t drink, but thanks.”

“Hence the soft drinks.”  He laughs a little and hands me a Sprite.  “I wasn’t sure.  Sorry.”

“Hey, no big deal.”  I crack open the can and take a nervous swallow.  “Happens all the time.”

“You’re um...in the twelve step program?”

I stare at him for a second, a little baffled. The way he said it, it’s like...he’s been through it or something, only...he just doesn’t seem like the type that would get mixed up in drugs.  “I was.  I finished last year, now I just go to meetings.”

“How long have you been clean for?”

“It’s almost two years now.”

He nods gently, and rubs his hand together before taking a sip of his own beer.  “I guess Betsy told you I want to try to get you in at the bank.”

“Yeah she did.  I’m just not sure why,” I chuckle.  “Nobody has ever given me this big of an opportunity before, and I want to thank you but...I’m not exactly there yet, you know? I have to pass my GED, and even then...I mean, I have a record.”

“Well, I know all that.  Betsy just seems to think the world of you though, and she’s my twin sister, I love her to death.  I’d do anything for her, you know?”

I nod.

“So when she explained you to me, I knew you must have made an impression.  That’s hard to do with Betsy.  She’s as stubborn as they come, so I knew...I needed to do something.  I’m not about turning my back on people...I actually like to help out wherever I can.  I do a lot of stuff at our youth center here in town, but I was never cut out for a DCF job like Betsy was.  If you can prove yourself, keep yourself in line and do what your supposed to do, I could probably persuade my boss to give you a chance on a probationary basis.  You just need to let me know when you pass your exam, and then you can come in for a drug test.  I’ll handle the rest.”

“You just...you have no idea how much this means to me,” I say, letting out a relieved breath.  “I’m trying to get my little girl back, and this is going to be a huge help.”

He nods, puts his beer down and leans back on the sofa.  “I just need to know that you’re not going to pull anything with Betsy, and we’ll be in the clear.”

“Pull something?”

He strokes his chin for a moment, thoughtfully.  “How much has she told you about herself?”

Honestly, I’m baffled, have no idea where he’s even going with this, and I know if my leg wasn’t broken, I would have gotten up and left about thirty seconds ago.  “The basics I guess...I mean, if you think I would hurt her, you don’t have to worry.  It’s strictly professional between Collins...I mean, Betsy and me.”

“Professional went out the window the second you agreed to stay at her place,” he says, seriously.  “Now, I think her fiance is a piece of shit, but she’s going to marry who she wants to, and I can tolerate it for the most part, because he makes her happy and takes good care of her. I won’t let anybody come between my sister and her happiness, either, so, what I need you to do for me is make sure that you don’t give her a reason to fall for you.”r32;

I laugh at him.  “You don’t have to worry about that.”

“You sure?”

I look at him again. “What would make you think I have feelings for your sister?”

“I’m not saying you do.  I’m talking about Betsy.”

“Betsy?”

“Look, it’s no secret that she feels a certain way about you, Justin.  The thing is, it all stems from our father.  She feels like...I dunno...she feels like she’s obligated to save people like him, you know?  She spent her whole childhood trying to protect him, and when she couldn’t, a part of her vowed to save the rest of humanity I guess.  They’re not genuine...the feelings she might have about you right now, and the minute you get your life together you’re going to walk away and forget about her.  That could make her fall apart if she gets too emotionally invested.  I’d hate to see her throw away a relationship she’s been in for two years, for somebody like you, even if I can’t stand the guy.”

I just stare at him, completely baffled, because only now am I realizing there’s a hell of a lot more to Betsy Collins than I ever thought was possible.

“So are we clear on that?” Carter pushes.  “If you have an issue or something, you can always come to me.  I’ll set her straight.  I do it all the time.  I just need to know that you wouldn’t...follow through with anything...that might happen, seeing as how Preston is out of town for a while.”

He’s talking about sex.  I’m just so fucking confused, and part of me would like to kick his ass, but I know he means well.  He’s looking out for his sister, and I’m almost positive it isn’t the first time he’s had this type of concern about one of his sisters cases.  What does it mean though? What’s the deal with their father? What happened when they were kids? There’s so many damn questions, and I want him to tell me everything, but I’m pretty sure he has no intention on doing that.  He just wants what’s best for his sister, and wants me to understand what I shouldn’t be doing when it comes to her.  It’s like he thinks she’s mentally unstable or something.

I guess we all have our flaws, and I’ve just found out Collin’s tragic one.

“So we’re good,” Carter speaks up again, and sticks out his hand.

I shake it.  “Yeah.  Yeah of course.”

“Good.” He smiles and stands up, while helping me to steady myself on my crutches.  “Ready for some kick ass barbeque?  Marilyn is amazing at the grill.  The most I can do is burn a hot dog.”

I doubt I could eat a bite, but by the way he’s standing there smiling at me, I know he’s expecting me to put the conversation behind us and simply enjoy the evening.  I know I have to do it too, because if I don’t, I can probably kiss my chance at that bank job goodbye.  “You bet,” I smile.

He gives me another casual, almost cautious glance, before walking ahead of me.  I follow behind him on the crutches, trying the hardest I can to put the conversation out of my head before Collins sees me again.  When we get out on the deck, I’m immediately greeted by her, while the kids race around, yelling and screaming, nearly knocking me off my crutches.  For the briefest of seconds I’m knocked half off them, but she braces herself against me, and one of my arms grabs onto her waist.  Our eyes connect and we laugh, but then I feel Carter’s eyes boring into the back of my head, and I quickly back off.  “Sorry.”  

“It’s...fine.”

She gives me a questioning look, but doesn’t say anything more as she helps me sit down at the table.  Immediately, Carter’s wife Marilyn, a cute petite redhead, pops into view and starts asking me every question under the sun about myself, which of course, I manage to come up with a complete bullshit answer to.  She doesn’t seem the slightest bit suspicious.  She’s one of those chicks who would probably believe anything you tell her, and I guess she’s lucky she found an honest guy like Carter to take care of her.

Once dinner is over, the kids are allowed to venture out into the yard and play where they can’t create a ton of chaos, and I think we’re all thankful.  Carter brings out a deck of cards, and we all play a rousing game of crazy eights for a couple of hours.  It’s mindless and gets us all to talk about casual subjects that we won’t remember tomorrow.  I know it’s Carters intent.  He’s smarter than he let’s on, and I’m sure it’s why he went into finance rather than child welfare.  A part of me knows that I shouldn’t trust him.  There’s just something about him that tells me he’ll make my life a living hell if I put a finger out of line when it comes to his sister.  At the same time though, he’s giving me a break, whether or not it’s sisters doing, and I know I have to play the game of ‘Carter Knows Best,’ if I have any hope of reaching my ultimate goal.  

It’s a shame, because I was really starting to like having her around.  She makes me laugh more than most people do.

But for Ava’s sake, I know I have to sacrifice it all, and whether or not backing off is the best thing for Betsy, isn’t my place to decide, I guess.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story