Author's Chapter Notes:
Well, this chapter was weird lol. Hope you enjoyyy

“I can’t believe you went up there without me.”

I roll my eyes in the mirror and continue to apply my makeup.  “It was better that I did.”

“Why?” He says, obviously distraught.  “I always thought it would be like...a family thing.”

“Oh, because we’re one big happy family, right?” I laugh.  “Carter, you try to hide it, but I know that’s been like, your ultimate goal ever since you paid dad’s way into Bakersfield Rehab, getting us all together like we’re the Brady Bunch or something.  It’s not happening anytime soon.  We talked, and...it was good, but don’t expect me to go back for a visit anytime soon.  I have too much going on.”

“What about the wedding?”

“We discussed it.”

“And?”

“If I get married, he’ll be there.” I smile and pull back from the mirror, turning to face him once again.  He looks completely shocked, and I know he doesn’t get my mood.  He wouldn’t though.  While we’re twins, and as close as two siblings can be, our personalities are completely opposite.    “We have an understanding now.” I cross the room so I can sit down on the bed with him.  “It’s not as complex as the relationship you have with him, Carter.  It will never be.”

He finishes straightening his tie, his mouth hanging half open the entire time.  “I-I still can’t believe Justin talked you into it.  I’ve been doing the same thing for years.  What did I do wrong?”

“God, nothing...” I sigh and kiss his cheek.  “Carter it...it wasn’t anything you could have done.  It was just easier for me to take the trip with somebody that was removed from the family.  I knew you would nag me to death.”

“I wouldn’t have...”

“Carter.” I narrow my eyes.

“Well, it’s only because I care,” he pouts.

“I know.”

It was good.  I mean, as good as it could be, since I hadn’t seen him since I was just a kid.  While he’s not using anymore, it was more than obvious that a lifetime of drug use had taken it’s toll on my father, mentally.  He’s very...out there.  I guess they would call it being burned out.  He’ll pause sometimes in the middle of a sentence, forget what he was saying, and he’s forgotten almost everything about my childhood.  Even the bad things.  It’s like he’s blocked that entire part of his life out, and I know if I had taken a few minutes to talk to his therapists they probably could have explained it all to me, but I wasn’t ready to go there.  I was content talking to my father the way he was, because I didn’t have to remember the bad things. I finally understood why it was so much easier for Carter to go visit him.  He’d put the past behind him too, and since dad couldn’t seem to remember any of it, it was as if he’d gotten himself a brand new father.  Bad? Oh yeah, but this is the best we’re going to do.

I mean, we have real parents, that care about us.  I think that was the biggest thing I learned from the visit.  No matter how bad of a parent our father had been, he still managed to give us a new life...a good life, and I couldn’t take that for granted anymore.

That meant I couldn’t try to save the world anymore, either.

So I’ve decided, after Justin’s case is over with, no matter the outcome, I’m putting in my resignation.  While working for DCF has it’s fulfilling moments, it’s not worth the heartache, or the politics anymore.  At least for me.  I think I’ll take Carter’s advice, look for work in the school system where I can go home at the end of the day and sleep at night.

“And what do you mean, if you get married?” Carter scoffs as he rises off the bed.  “We’re leaving to pick up your fiance from the airport right now, not to mention...we’re meeting up with mom, dad and your damn in-laws for dinner after that.”

I shrug.  “I have to figure out a few things, that’s all.”

“A few things?”

I walk out of the room though, because I can’t explain myself to him anymore.  Of course he doesn’t know about what happened between Justin and I.  I didn’t want to tell him, because he’s my brother and I’d really prefer not to share details of my sex life with him, if I can help it.  It’s still hitting me hard of course, what we did.  Not because it feels wrong, but because I know I’m still not over it...the feelings I have for him.  If things were different I’d love to throw my current situation to the side and be with him forever.  As messed up as he is, I feel better when I’m with Justin.

He makes me forget everything, makes me feel free, and when he looks into my eyes and smiles, he takes my breath away more so than Preston ever has.  I know I love him...

It just sucks that I can’t make it a reality.

On the way back from Bakersfield, he told me that he ran into Ava’s mother.  Apparently, she’s a patient there too.  I was shocked, and asked him why he hadn’t introduced me to her.  He just got quiet though, and told me it wasn’t the right time.  I didn’t question it further, because I knew it was a sensitive subject.  I was only afraid she was going to make the situation worse and try to get custody or something.  Justin only chuckled, and told me it wasn’t going to happen.

“Why? She’s her mother...she would have a good chance...”

“She has AIDS,” he said, softly.  “It’s full blown.  She has a few months left, maybe less.”

“I’m...Justin, God.  I’m sorry.”

He shook his head.  “She wants to help.”

“How?”

“She has a friend.  He has money, and she told me he might help me get an apartment.  If I can get in before I start working...I might have a little more of a chance in court.”

“And you trust her?”

“She’s dying.  I don’t think I have a reason not to.  At this point, she just wants to know that Ava will be taken care of when she’s gone.”

He was looking at me desperately, asking me to agree with him.  To tell him that it was the right decision.  Of course I wasn’t sure.  The most I knew about her was that she abandoned Justin and Ava years ago.  Still, he seemed confident in her.  He wasn’t confident about too many things in his life, and so, I knew I needed to support him and tell him to take the help while she was still able to give it to him.  “I think it’s a good thing...that she wants to help.  Just be careful.”

He nodded.  “I need you to do something for me then.”

I gripped the steering wheel a little bit tighter.  “What is it?”

“Ava needs to see her before she passes away.  Sooner is better...if you can manage it.”

“I’ll make sure it happens.”

He smiled tightly, before looking out his window.  He was silent the rest of the trip home, but I knew he needed time to think about things.  It was a big deal...him seeing his ex like that, especially since she was sick.  I wanted to comfort him, but honestly, I had no idea what to say.  To think, I thought that ride home would have consisted of me giving him details about seeing my father.  Only, he didn’t say a thing about it.  I think he could tell it went well though, and he was too overwhelmed to talk about it with me.

I’m not sure, but I don’t think he’s ever dealt with death before.  Not with somebody that was a big part of his life at one time.  I don’t know how he’ll handle it when it finally happens, and that scares me, but at the same time, I know he’ll push himself to keep his head for Ava.  I guess that’s one thing that he has going for him, and...I’m going to do what I have to, to make sure the Baxters don’t get her.  My only issue, is not knowing what kind of tricks Darcy has up her sleeve.

I’m just going to have to outsmart her.  Beat her at her own game.  I’ll do it to the best of my ability, too, for Justin’s sake.  If we can’t be together, it’s probably the next best thing.  I checked him into a Hilton last night, making sure he had everything he needed, including money for food for the next couple of days, before telling him I would see him on Monday.  He was forcing pleasantries, as he’d been ever since we came back from Bakersfield.  I tried to reason with him before I left too, asked him to talk to me if there was something bothering him.

“I just need to think about some stuff,” he told me, forcing a smile.  “Just go ahead...go be with your family, Betsy.  I’ll be okay.”

I knew he was lying, that he needed somebody, but he wouldn’t have asked me to stay.  He knew I had a life waiting for me, one without him, and that was how things had to be.  “Just call my cell if you need me.  Don’t worry about the charges, okay?  I’ll come right away.”

But he only nodded.  “Night, Collins.”

I left with an uneasy feeling inside of me, and I didn’t sleep.  I wanted to call him in the morning, but my parents and Preston were arriving later on, and Sandra picked me up at the house early to have brunch and discuss our lives for a while.  Let me just say, it was extremely difficult to pretend I gave a fuck.  Hell, all I could think about was Justin and I still can’t figure out if that’s selfish of me or not.  Maybe not, considering Sandra is the most self absorbed person on the planet.  My poor parents.  They’ll probably want to write me off the adoption papers by the end of all this.

“C’mon, we gotta go.” Carter rushes past me, breaking me from my thoughts, and opens the front door.  “Can’t keep King Preston waiting.”

I roll my eyes.  “I can pick him up myself if you want, Carter.”

“It’s fine.  I have a running pool going at work.  Everybody is trying to guess which name he’ll call me when he gets off the plane.  So far, Cameron is the most popular choice.  I’m buying all the winners lunch for a week.  It boosts morale.”

I groan harshly, and shove past him, while he laughs to himself.  “Jerk.”

“So where’d you hole Justin up for the weekend?” Carter asks me, once we’re on the road.  

“He’s at the Hilton, downtown.”

“Kinda pricey.”

I shrug.  “It’s worth it.”

“How’s he doing?”

“I don’t know.  I mean, physically he’s doing a lot better than he was, but when we went up to see dad the other day, he ran into his ex...his daughters mother.  She’s a patient there too.  They hadn’t seen each other in years and I guess it would have been fine but...she’s sick.  She has AIDS, and it’s killing her quickly.  She has a few months left.  I think the news hit him pretty hard.”

“Whoa.  That’s deep.”

“Yeah.”

“You think he’ll be okay...I mean, for the job interview?”

“I hope so.”

He’s silent.  He knows that it’s a big deal, just like I do, only he’s just as clueless as I am of how to help.  It’s not really his problem of course, but that’s how Carter is.  My problems usually become his, and vice versa.  “He needs a lawyer,” I say after a while.  “I was meaning to ask if you knew anybody that would take a pro bono case.”

“I thought he had one?”

“Just a social worker.  The people that are trying to adopt his daughter have petitioned for a hearing to seek temporary custody.  It’s Wednesday, and I know it’s short notice but...I just thought...”

“Why don’t you ask Preston?” He smirks.

I quickly look away from him.  I can’t let him find out what happened...that Justin and I spent the night together.  “Eli is the lawyer for that family...the Baxters.  It would be weird.”

“Well, if he loves you so much, he’ll do it.  Just ask him.”

“Carter...I can’t.”

“Why,” he laughs.  “You afraid he’ll find out the truth?”

“The truth?”

“C’mon, Bets,” he says softly.  “I can tell you and Justin are messing around.  I’ve kept my mouth shut about it, only because I think he’s a decent guy who cares about you a lot.  Although, I should beat his ass for breaking his promise to me.”

“Promise, Carter? Did you lecture him?”

“Notice how you didn’t deny what I just said,” he smiles.

I run my hands through my hair, completely defeated.  I hate him sometimes, how he can outsmart me like that.  I want to slap him, but I know that would be pointless.  No random act of violence can change the facts.  And the fact is...I slept with Justin.  “It just happened.”

“Well, Preston is a dick, so I’m glad it did, and I guess I have a renewed sense of respect for Justin too.  I gave him one of those all powerful lectures I’m so famous for, and he completely disregarded everything I said, because he cares about you too much.  I say, can this Preston asshole, and go tell the guy you love him, Bets.”

“I never said that...that I’m in love with him.”

“You didn’t have to.”  He focuses back on the road.  “Look Betsy, I only said what I said to him because I was afraid you would fall for him and he wouldn’t feel the same way, but I guess...after that whole conversation, I knew how much he cared about you.  He’s a decent guy, and when he fixes his life, he’ll probably turn into the type of guy that you always should have been with.  I’m not telling you what to do with your life or anything.  I know Preston can take care of you and make you happy whenever he’s not out conquering the world, but...I guess I’d really like to see you settled down with somebody who’s in love with you as much as you’re in love with them.”

“So what am I supposed to do? Just...blow off Preston?”

“That’s up to you, isn’t it?  He certainly has no problem blowing you off a few months before your wedding.”

“It’s business.”

“Is it?  You seemed pretty convinced he was doing some extracurriculars the other day.”

“He told me he wasn’t.  I talked to him about it.  That’s why he’s coming home...so we can talk all of this over.”

“Okay, so say he didn’t do anything wrong.  You still did.  Are you going to tell him?”

I stare at my brother, at a loss for words.  I never really thought about it.  I just figured what Justin and I did was done, and we were both moving on with our lives.  Telling Preston about what I did hadn’t even crossed my mind until right now.  “I don’t know what I’m doing, Carter.”

“If I buy a tux and you back out, I’ll make you pay me back every cent,” he laughs.

“It’s a deal.  Make sure you get it on sale.”

His laughter dies away after a few moments.  The signs for LAX are looming above us, and I know he’s trying to compose himself for what’s coming when we arrive at the airport.  “I know my head teller has a brother that just got out of law school.  I’ll talk to her on Monday, how’s that sound?”

“Would you do that?”

“You know I would, Bets.”

I smile slightly.  “It means a lot.”

He nods.  “Just make sure he’s ready for the interview.  I talked to my boss.  He said he wants to meet Justin first before he makes any decisions.  How long do you think it’ll be before he can take that test and pass it?”

“If I push him...maybe two weeks before he’s ready, but it can take another month to get the scores back, unless I make a few phone calls and do some serious ass kissing.”

“Well you better stock up on your chap stick, because he’s got one shot at this.  He only has to get a passing grade.  It doesn’t have to be perfection. Once he’s hired I’ll make sure he learns what he needs to, before he breathes the same air as my customers.”

“Right.”

He says it with warning in his voice, like his boss can’t wait forever.  He’d never admit it to me, but I’m sure he put his reputation on the line to get Justin a job.  That could mean horrible things for Carter if something were to go wrong, if Justin were to mess up, and so...I need to make sure everything goes according to plan.  It wouldn’t be so bad if the Baxters hadn’t decided to take action so suddenly.  That’s my biggest fear...that they’ll win on Wednesday and Justin will fall apart, even though I’ve tried to explain to him that it’s not the end of the world if they do.  He doesn’t see it that way.  He sees it as Ava being one step closer to being taken away from him forever.

I feel like I’m losing grip, my sense of reality.  The powerful way I feel about Justin isn’t helping things either.

And now I have to face Preston to top it all off.

“I’ll park and meet you at baggage,” Carter tells me when we pull up to the appropriate terminal.  “Just wait for me.”

“Okay.”  I open my door and get out of the car, waiting for my brother to pull away before heading inside the terminal.  I find that I’m trembling a little.  Everything seems to be happening at once at it’s making me stick to my stomach, but I know I have to suck it up.  I can’t allow it all to fall apart now.  Not when Justin has come this far.

I find Preston’s flight on the big screen mixed in with all the others and find that it has already arrived, so I head down to the appropriate baggage terminal marked next to the flight number.  Once I reach the bottom of the escalator, I can already see him, back to me, phone in his ear.  He has a gift bag stuffed with tissue and some flowers in his free hand, which I already know are for me.  More gifts.  But the things is, I don’t want gifts.  I just want the Preston I used to know back in my life.  

“I’ll discuss it...yes, there’s no reason to worry.  By Monday it won’t be an issue anymore, you have my word.  I have it under control.  Yes...okay, try to enjoy the weekend.  I’ll be in touch.”  

I smile a bit as I stop right behind him.  Even now, he’s still trying to tie up last minute things at the office, and I guess...I might feel a little guilty pulling him away from all of it.  But it’s for us.  We need to talk this weekend, if I have any hope of figuring out what I’m going to do and where I stand emotionally with him.  “Hey.”

He turns, and his smile flies on.  “Bets...you look gorgeous.”  He shoves his phone in his trouser pocket and walks over to me, planting a long, loving kiss on my lips and giving me the flowers and bag in his hand, which I accept with a smile.

“Were you waiting long?”

“Nah.”  He tugs at the handle of the bag.  “You should open that.”

“Pres...”

“Please?”  

He gives me those pleading little boy eyes that have always caused me to give into him time and time again.  Without another word, I reach inside the gift bag and pull out a long, slender black box with a red ribbon around it.  My best guess is that it’s jewelry, and when I remove the bow and open up the box, I realize I’m right.

But this is more than just jewelry.  It’s a full on Tiffany diamond necklace, that I can’t even imagine putting on.  I quickly snap the box closed.  “It’s too much...”

“Nothing is too much for you.”  He says it seriously, and steps up to me, gently pulling the box out of my hands.  “I wanted to...get you something, you know? To make up for all the crap I’ve been putting you through lately.”  

“But Preston...”

“Here, turn around.”

 He smiles and pulls the necklace out of it’s box again, and I do as he asks, begrudgingly.  The moment he places the thing around my neck, and fastens the clasp into place, I can already tell how heavy the weight of the diamonds are.  I reach up and feel them around my neck, and they seem to get tighter as I stand here, practically suffocating me.

“Let me see,” I hear him say.

I face him again, trying my best to smile, but find that I can’t.

“It’s perfect.” He says, smiling in satisfaction.  “I knew it would be.”

“But this isn’t...”

“Just...let me do this,” he sighs, and takes one of my hands in his before kissing me again.  “I feel like a fucking asshole, Bets.”

“All I want to do is talk to you,” I whisper.  “I don’t need diamonds, Preston.”

“And we will talk,” he promises, pulling away from me and lacing his fingers through mine.  The same ones that were holding onto Justin’s only a few days ago.  “As soon as all the formalities are out of the way.  Now, we’ll be late for dinner if we don’t get going.  Did you drive here or...”

“Oh my brother is coming.  He was just parking the car.”

“Oh.”  

He seems less than thrilled, but I’m not surprised.  Part of the reason he always gets Carters name wrong, is because he really dislikes him.  He thinks he pries into my life too much, and doesn’t hesitate to let me know that from time to time.  “It won’t be so bad.  You have to get used to it, baby.  You’ll be seeing a lot of each other.”

He considers it for about half a second.  “Maybe.”

“Maybe?”

He kisses my cheek.  “We’ll talk later.  I see him coming, and I don’t need him blabbing our business to the rest of the family.”

I don’t know what he’s talking about, but I’m starting to get a funny feeling.  One that’s telling me Preston is up to something.  Good or bad, I don’t know, but I’d really like to get to the bottom of it as soon as possible.

“Hey...you have a good flight in?”  Carter reaches us after a moment, forcing a smile as he sticks his hand out for Preston to shake.

“Good enough,” he shakes my brothers hand.  “The first class cabin was a little smaller than I would have liked, but we can’t win all the time can we Carson?”

Carter glances at me quickly, before giving Preston sarcastic look.  “We sure can’t.”

“And your wife...children, I assume everybody is doing well?”

“Better than ever.”

“You got my check in the mail, I assume...for your daughters birthday?”

“Oh...yeah, she bought a bunch of Chuck-E-Cheese tokens with it.  It was completely worth it.  My favorite part was when she ate too much pizza and puked all over the prizes she got from the ticket exchange booth.  We tossed ‘em, but hey, she had fun...and what’s a birthday without a little bit of puke?”

Preston frowns and pulls his hand away.  “Glad to know it did made an educational difference.  I had hoped you might have put it into a college fund or possibly bought a savings bond with it. But I guess I shouldn’t have expected different from...” He trails off and looks my brother up and down in disgust, like he’s some kind of lower class human being.  “...a degenerate like you.”  He looks back at me for a brief moment, his eyes full of anger.  “Let’s go.”

He walks away after that, obviously pissed off.

“I’m going to get him in a corner one of these days and kick the crap out of him,” Carter mutters, staring after him.  “If you weren’t here tonight, I would have done it already.”

“Can you blame him?  I mean, he shouldn’t have been so gruff but, you told me you bought a Leap Pad reading thing with that three hundred bucks.  Marilyn won’t set foot near a Chuck-E-Cheese’s.  She’s too paranoid about germs.”

He smiles and shrugs.  “Of course that’s what I got her with the money, but he called me Carson.  We’re even.  The shit head can pout the rest of the night for all I care.  Fuck, Betsy, I can’t believe you’re ready to marry that son of a bitch.  Nice necklace by the way.  What’d he get you that for? Because he’s knows he’s colossal prick?  The next time, maybe he’ll bring you home a Bentley or something.”

“Carter.”

“C’mon.”  He says it quickly, and stalks away from me, leaving me no choice but to follow along behind him, diamonds still hanging off my neck, and a droopy bouquet in my hand.  
***********
“How do you deal with that woman week to week?”

I laugh, as I lean my head against the bathroom wall.  “I try to just smile and nod, tune her out when she talks.  It works, most of the time.”

“I thought your father was going to kill her earlier.  She wouldn’t even give us an hour or two to get settled in at that guest house of theirs.  Of course I’m grateful, honey...it’s just that...I feel like the woman has nobody else to talk to.  Your father and I were hoping to get some...relaxation time in, but she wouldn’t give us any breathing room.”

“Mom, gross.”

“Well...you’re old enough now.  I blame that husband of hers.  He’s barely said a word to us since we got in.”

“That’s Eli.  I’m used to it.”

The toilet flushes and a moment later my mother walks out of the stall, washing her hands quickly and drying them, before planting a kiss on my cheek.  It’s awful, but this the first time all evening that we’ve been able to be alone.  “How are you?”

“I’m...I’m okay.”

“You seem exhausted.  I tried asking your brother how things have been with you, but I should have known better.”

I sigh.  Besides Carter, my mom is probably the only other person who would understand about Justin.  I wish I could talk to her, tell her what’s been going on, but I know that I can’t.  Not when she thinks I’m happily engaged, and ready to start planning more details of the wedding with her.  I mean, she’s tolerating Sandra for the sake of my happiness.  There’s no bigger sacrifice in my book.  “It’s just been a lot with the wedding and work, that’s all.”

She smiles but her eyes are full of suspicion.  “You know you can talk to me, right?  It doesn’t always have to be secrets with you and Carter.”

“I...I know.  I went and saw Thomas.  It’s been a lot to take in, that’s all.”

Her eyes grow wide.  “What...what brought that on?”

I shrug.  “A friend convinced me it was the right thing to do.”

“How was it?”

“It was good...different...but I needed to do it.”

“Well, I’m proud of you.”  She smiles happily and pulls me into a tight hug.  “I really am, Betsy.  That was a big hurdle for you.”

I nod.

“You’re sure that’s all?”

She knows it’s not, but I can’t tell her the truth.  “Yeah, mom.”

She smiles and rubs my shoulders a little.  “Then I guess we should get back to the table before Sandra sends out a search party.”

“I’ll be right out.”  

She smiles once more, before leaving me alone in the bathroom.

The ride to the restaurant was completely silent.  Preston toyed with his Blackberry the whole time, and Carter wouldn’t even look at me.  I know they’ll never get along, and that’s bad because I don’t know what I would do without Carter right now...or ever.  It’s only going to make life that much more difficult if I go through with this wedding, and right now, I feel like I might.  Preston has been great tonight, aside from his little tiff with Carter at the airport.  He’s been sitting beside me since we got here, his arm draped over my shoulders as he’s charmed my parents with his affairs in Chicago and his plans for us after the wedding.  Of course Sandra has been chiming in with her little ‘ideas’ and ‘suggestions’, bu Eli has barely said a thing the whole night.  He’s been periodically looking at his phone, and sipping his wine, not the least bit concerned about getting to know my parents, even though he’s never met them before tonight.

Same old Eli, even though, I’m sure he’ll have more to say to me when the time comes.  When I’m at his house and he’s more focused on the case.  Tonight, I think he knows the focus on his son, the only person he seems to take a genuine interest in.  I’m fine with that too, because I’d rather not discuss Justin in front of my entire family, and that goes for Preston too.

I stare back at myself in the mirror, gazing at the diamond necklace still hanging around my neck.  Sandra took one look at it when I sat down at the table and gasped, telling Carter that it was ‘an exquisite’ gift, which of course, boosted my fiances ego even more.  She also told me that she wouldn’t have wanted any other girl to wear her sons ‘gifts’, and I guess that was supposed to make me feel good...or something.

I really can’t wait to get back home, where Preston and I can be alone and talk about...everything.

Maybe I’ll tell him.  I think I need to just...come clean, because I doubt I could marry him with this many secrets dwelling inside of me.

I get myself together for now though, because my family is expecting me to be that girl they know so well, and Carter well...I can’t give him a reason to start listing all the reasons he hates Preston.

“Hey.”

Preston is leaning against the wall next to the door to the ladies room and I jump a little.  “Pres...”

“I am so ready to get outta here,” he laughs, as he pulls me close to him.  “Let’s get a taxi or something.”

“We can’t.” I pull away as he steals a kiss. “Pres...my parents just got here.”

“We’ll see them tomorrow,” he promises, tugging at my hand so I’ll follow him to the front of the posh restaurant.  “I want to talk to you, anyway.”

“So do I but...don’t you think it’s rude to just leave?”

He shrugs.  “They’ll understand.”

“At least let me say goodbye.”

“Bets, I haven’t seen you in weeks,” he says gently, cupping my chin in his palm.  “Maybe it’s selfish or whatever, but I want time with you tonight.  I know you’ve been confused and I haven’t been around.  Plus, I think I might kill your brother if he glares at me one more time.” He  laughs again.  “Please?”

I sigh heavily.  “Okay, but you’re going to explain this to everybody tomorrow.”

“Deal.”

We sneak out a side entrance, unbeknownst to everyone at the table.  When Preston gets a taxi hailed over, I quickly text Carter to let him know what’s going on, just so he won’t worry himself sick.  

How can you leave me with your in-laws and our parents? I’ll become the topic of conversation now.

I’ll owe you a favor.

You already owe me a million favors.

I shut my phone off after that, and get in the taxi.  I can’t be distracted right now, and...I also don’t want to risk the chance that Justin might call.  I don’t feel like getting caught in that mess, even if I’m considering telling Preston the truth.

“So my dad told me that you’re working on a case with him, now.” Preston says brightly, once the cab is in motion.  He’s pulled me close to him, so I can lay my head against his chest as he strokes my hair softly.  

“Oh...yeah...”

“Pretty cool, huh? He’s a great lawyer.  You watch.  He’ll have that case open and shut.”

“Mhm.”

“So listen,” he continues, nonchalantly.  “I’ve been thinking...about us.  About our future.”

“So have I.”

“I think it would be better...for us, if we got out of LA.  Soon, you know?”

I sit up slightly, and stare back at him.  He’s still smiling, but I can just tell that I’m not going to like this at all.  “What do you mean? Where?”

He takes my hands in his.  “I’ve been asked to move the firm to Chicago.  I met a few people who want to join in the partnership, and I already talked to dad.  He said that he’d back it a hundred percent, said we could even keep this firm here up and running, just head it up with different people.”

I shake my head slowly.  “You want to move to Chicago?”

“Yeah,” he smiles.  “As soon as possible.  I can get us a brownstone...I’ve been looking around.  You can be there with me until I finish the case and then we can fly back here for the wedding.  That way, when we get back from Aruba, we’ll already have a place set up.  It’ll be easier that way.”

“Whoa...wait a minute.”  I pull away from him.  “You never said anything about moving me away from my family.”

“That’s because I didn’t have a reason to until now,” he nods.  “It’s a good opportunity for me Bets, and...we’ll be better because of it.”

“But my family is here.  I mean...Carter...”

“Your brother needs to back off,” he says gruffly.  “Damn Bets, is this about us, or about him?”

I stare at him for several moments, feeling my heart starting to beat furiously in my chest.  “It’s about us but...”

“But what?” His eyes search mine for a long moment.  “Don’t you love me?”


“I do...”

He kisses me, gently, letting his lips linger on mine for  awhile before he pulls himself back.  “Then what’s to question?”

“What about this case with your father?”

“He said he can find somebody to take your place, if you wanted to pack up this weekend and fly out Monday.”

“Monday?  That’s way too soon.”

“But I need you there.”  He squeezes my thigh when I pull away and stare out my window.  “Come on Bets.  I’m falling apart without you, and I know you’re doing the same thing here.”

“I’ve been fine.”

“I know what you’ve been up to.”

I gasp, and look back at him.  His expression is serious but not angry, and I have no idea what he means.  “What...”

“Look.”  He slides himself over, and caresses my face quickly.  “I know...you got confused and so...you might have done some things...”  he trails off and chuckles.  “Bets, I don’t blame you.”

“You...you know...wait, what do you know?”

“Did you really think I wouldn’t find out, Betsy?  I know you’ve been letting him stay at the house, and screwing him behind my back.  You put him up at the Hilton for the weekend too right? Thought I wouldn’t figure it out?”

I just stare him.

“It’s not your fault.”  He gives me a kiss when I start to stutter out a response.  “I shouldn’t have left, you know?  I know how you can get when you’re left on your own.”

“What do you...”

“You need somebody...to be around for you, to take care of you so you won’t be afraid,” he explains.  “I’ve always known that.  Whatever you did...it’s in the past now.  I know he’s nothing, just some worthless piece of shit, like your father.  I’m not angry okay?  So let’s move on to the next thing.”

My first thought is for Justin.  If Preston knows all that, what else is he capable of?  “You didn’t...you didn’t do anything to him did you?”

He kisses me.  “Of course not, Bets.  And if you get on the plane with me Monday morning, I’ll let the whole thing go like it never happened.”

“How...how did you even find out...”

“It’s not important,” he whispers.  “What’s important...is moving forward from here.  How about it?”

I’m speechless, don’t know what to do, think or say.

“It’s okay.”  He kisses me gently.  “The whole weekend is ahead of us.  I just hope you make the right decision, Bets.”

“Why?”

“I’d just hate to see him get thrown in jail or something because of you.”

This is supposed to be the man that loves me, and right now, I feel like he’s doing all of this to spite me.  I mean, what the hell is going on? Does he love me, or is he doing all this for some other, completely fucked up reason? Of course, there’s a big chance his father could have something to do with this.  Darcy probably got to him, told him that she doesn’t trust me, and in turn, told him the whole story.  It’s their little plot, and it makes me want to break down and cry so hard, because Preston...Preston is going right along with it.  It occurs to me that he cares about me, but...things are so much different in his world when it comes to life, and love.

“I’m not...I’m not going anywhere with you, Preston.”

He sighs harshly.  “I figured you’d say that.  You know, I would think you would be a little more grateful.  I’m giving you a pass on this, like I’ve given you a pass on all of your other issues.  Your temperament, your social standpoint, the way you conduct yourself...I’ve even accepted your family, and your idiot brother.  None of it matters to me.  I was just content being with you, you know?  You’re the first person who’s ever made me come alive inside.”

I scoff.  “You’re a bastard.”

“But you love me, Bets, and you know I love you more than anything.  So what if we’ve had our little ups and downs? It’s nothing a little money and relocation can’t take care of.  I’m willing to live our lives and forget this ever happened, as long as you say you’ll come with me.”

I’m sobbing, can’t believe this...any of it.  The worst thing is I can’t explain it to Carter, or my parents.  And Justin...Justin will probably lose everything no matter what I do.  “What if I say no?  What are you going to do Pres? “

“You know how many resources I have Betsy, and I hate to be the bad guy.  You know I do, but I have a feeling if you were to tell me no, the police might get called...get asked to search Justin’s hotel room.  It’d be a shame for him if they found all those drugs hidden in there, you know?  A felony...it would be strike three for him, so I’m told.  A life sentence...tragic, really.  He’s so close, weeks away from being able to land that great job at McDonalds.”

“Darcy got to you, didn’t she?” I sob.  “Preston...why...why are you doing this?  You’re better than this.”

He shakes his head again.  “Bets, c’mon.  You know what you need to do.  Me explaining myself...it will just make things more complicated.  There’s a happy ending to this for everybody involved, if you just make the right choice.  That scum bag won’t get thrown in jail, we’ll get to be together, and that little girl will be with people that can actually take care of her.  Now c’mon, beautiful.”  He tilts my head up slightly so I’ll met his eye line.  “It doesn’t make sense to fight this anymore.”

“I can’t...I can’t do that to him.”

“But you should, because nobody deserves to be framed, right?  Even if he is a fuckin’ junkie.”

I whimper.  It’s ridiculous, sick, but I know Preston.  I know him better than anybody, and I know he’ll do what he says if I don’t go through with his wishes.  I’ll do it of course, but only for Justin, so he has a shot at a future with his girl. “Okay,” I whisper.  “All right...I’ll...I’ll go with you.”

He smiles then, and it’s the smile I used to loved, one that I have to force myself to love again, as much as I don’t want to.  As much as I hate him now.  “That’s my girl.”



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story