JC was sitting on top of the world. 

Literally, he was looking down on Central Park from his hotel room window as he pretended to nod along to what his manager was saying from the couch behind him.  But emotionally JC was flying. 

His new record Kate had been released last week to a record number of sales.  And from some of his manager’s rumblings, JC knew that his was currently the most downloaded song on iTunes and was rapidly climbing the charts with his single Dear Goodbye. 

It felt good to be making music again and for his fans to still have faith in him even after all these years.  Obviously, from the numbers of people and screams outside his hotel, he had not only the faithful fans, but also a number of new ones.  It was nice to see that the younger generation still appreciated good music.  He smiled to himself at that thought – the younger generation.  He didn’t consider himself that old, only 35, but in the fickle music world, he was almost washed up.  But that was before his comeback.

Now – with this album – he was back and better than ever.  Music was what he was made for. 

***

Stretching his arms as tall as he could, JC tightened and then loosened each muscle group before he rolled his back down so he could touch his toes.  Rising back up again, he placed his hands on his hips and twisted his upper body, appreciating the slight cracking of his back.  Feeling loose now, he grabbed his jacket and wallet following Tom, his manager, out the door.  He finally tuned into what Tom was telling him. 

“Now as soon as the show is over and everyone is loaded on the buses we are going to head out.  You can shower once we get to our next destination.”

“I know, Tom.  In case you’ve forgotten, I happened to have been through this at least once or twice now.”  Not even his manager’s frustration could bring down JC’s happy mood.  “Come on, Tom.  I know what to expect.  This is just the opening night of the tour, relax man!”

Tom rubbed his eyes.  He was fairly new to this whole experience.  He had just a few clients, but had known JC for years.  So JC had decided to give Tom a chance.  JC could see Tom’s potential and so far his risk was paying off.  Tom knew how to get the publics attention and hopefully keep it. 

“I’m sorry, Jace.  I just want to do a good job and keep everything running smoothly.”  Tom flipped through the screens on his phone, once again checking and rechecking everything he had on his list. 

Laughing, JC shot his trademark smile, “By the end of the tour, you will be performing those tasks in your sleep.  Now chill, everything is going just exactly as planned and we are on tour – connecting with the fans, singing again!”  JC bounced up and down on the balls of his feet as the elevator doors opened to the lobby. 

Deafening screams greeted him and JC had a genuine smile on his face as he was quickly moved through the lobby.  He would have loved to stop and chat and sign some autographs, but the schedule was too tight today to allow such activities.  All he could do was smile and wave before he boarded the bus. 

A sudden overwhelming sense of gratitude filled JC and he paused on the bottom step causing one of his bodyguards to shoot him a hated look which JC ignored.  Motioning for the crowd to stop screaming for a moment, he waited until it quieted momentarily. 

“I want to thank you for all of your support and dedication through this whole looong process of Kate.  I love you all!  See you at the concert tonight!!!”  JC threw off the hand of the bodyguard as he was being shoved into the bus.  This new bodyguard, Pete, had come highly recommended, but JC felt very uneasy around him.  JC made a mental note to talk to Tom about replacing him or moving him to another position. 

The ride to the venue was short; at least it was sold out.  He wasn’t playing to stadiums anymore, but he didn’t need to play to such large crowds.  JC wanted to connect with his fans on a much more intimate level, these were the ones that had supported him from the early days of his career and he wanted to give back to them in some way. 

The meet and greet went by quickly and soon JC was sitting down with a reporter for a very brief interview before he had to get dressed and mentally prepare himself for the performance. 

The questions were routine and such that JC could have answered them in his sleep, then came the question he had been waiting for.  He was surprised at how long it had taken a reporter to finally ask the question – “Who was Kate that the album was named for?  A girlfriend?”

A far away look came into JC’s eyes that the reporter quickly noted.  “No, definitely not a former girlfriend.  Actually, I was going for something entirely different.  If you look up the meaning of the name Kate, it means pure – and that’s what I was going for in this album.  A pure sound.  So I researched different names and settled on Kate.”

His eyes met the reporters and held, hoping she would buy the explanation.  It was lame, but it was the best he could come up with.  He sent a brief apology to the Kate that he actually named the album after, but wasn’t willing to part with his secret. 

While he wasn’t sure if the reporter bought the response, she did move on and closed the interview.  JC was relieved he hadn’t dated anyone named Kate, at least that he could remember so hopefully if she went digging into his past she wouldn’t find anything incriminating and Kate could remain a hidden part of him. 

With a smile and a hug, JC escorted the reporter to the door.  It was almost time for his show.  He couldn’t wait to step back into the spotlight and sing in front a crowd again.  He had missed this…

Two encores later, JC was ushered out the back door at a full out run.  The massive crowd was still screaming for more behind him.  Out of breath from the ninety minute performance then the run to the bus, JC collapsed on the couch as the bus immediately began moving. 

His muscles were quivering from the large amount of adrenaline running through his body.  But he was exhilarated. 

***

Several days and various tour locations passed as JC maintained his same energy in performing.  The city where the tour was located now - he couldn’t remember where - was one of the few stops where everyone was able to sleep in the hotel for 2 nights in a row – a luxury they didn’t often have. 

The first day had been pretty relaxed for the most part since there hadn’t been a performance that night.  But it had still been filled with interviews and autograph signings so when JC made it to the hotel that night, all he was dreaming about was a hot shower then bed.  By staying in the same city, he could sleep in to a more reasonable hour rather than getting up before dawn to move to the next city.

Somehow the lobby was not as crowded as in had been in other cities, perhaps the fans hadn’t found where he was staying yet.  Whatever the reason, JC was grateful for a peaceful walk through the lobby instead of a sprint.  But as he stepped on the elevator, he looked behind him to Tom.  “Tom, can you have some more towels sent to my room.”  He rushed to finish his sentence as the doors closed in front of him. 

He rolled his neck, as he muttered to Pete, he really needed to talk to Tom about him.  “Can you believe today?  I must be getting old, this isn’t as easy as it used to be.”

Pete merely grunted in response before stepping out of the elevator first, checking to see that there were no fans around.  After Pete gave the okay, JC tiredly walked down the hall to his room, waiting patiently for it to be unlocked for him.  Gaining entrance, he flopped facedown on the bed, sighing happily that he was finally able to rest. 

But just as he was nodding off, a knock on the door startled him.  He waited for Pete to use the key card to gain entrance, but the knock came again.  JC stumbled to his feet and got up to open the door.  “How many times do I have to tell you – ”

But it wasn’t Pete at the door, instead a woman stood there holding a stack of towels.  JC took a quick glance down both sides of the hallway, no Pete in sight.  Normally, if JC needed anything a maid brought the item and handed it off to a security member.  That way any crazy fans were denied access to him. 

“Sorry, I thought you were someone else.”  He reached out to take the towels.  “Thanks for bringing these so quickly.”

But she took a quick step back out of his reach.  “I’ll put these away for you and make sure you have everything else you need.”

JC thought that was a little odd, but was too tired to question it so he simply opened the door wider for her, moving away to allow it to shut once she was in the room. 

“Are you enjoying the city so far?”  The woman asked as she entered the bathroom. 

“Um, yeah so far, at least what I’ve seen of it, which hasn’t been much actually.”  JC dug through his suitcase as she quietly arranged the towels.

“Good, that’s good, do you have plans to do any sightseeing before you leave?”

What was taking her so long to put the towels on a shelf?  JC wondered as he answered, “Not really, the schedule is so tight that it’s not very often we get to enjoy the scenery around us.”

Before she could ask another question, JC called out, “Look, I’m sure I have everything that I need, thanks for bringing the towels, but it’s been a long day and – ”  He stopped as she exited the bathroom, a distraught look on her face.  “Are you okay, is there something wrong?”

“Is something wrong…it’s funny you should ask that.  Yes, JC,” she spat out.  “There is something very wrong.”  JC was shocked at how quickly her attitude and demeanor had changed. 

“I think it’s time for you to leave, whatever is wrong you can address with your manager, but you really need to leave my room.”  JC inched toward the phone on the nightstand. 

“I don’t understand how you could take something so personal and precious away from me like you did.”  The woman’s voice increased in volume and frustration.  

JC stopped in his tracks, hands up in an innocent gesture, “Look, I don’t even know you so I don’t know how I could have done anything to you.  I’m giving you one more chance to leave peacefully before I call in my security.”

“You’d like that wouldn’t you – just call in the big guys for something that you don’t want to have to deal with yourself.  You men are all the same, but you took it to the next level.  Humiliating me and reminding me all day every day, which is why you are the worst kind of scum on the planet.”

Opening his mouth to call out, JC was interrupted once again, mistakenly not moving as she stepped closer.  “I’m leaving, I just had to meet you in person one time.  Now I wish I hadn’t bothered, you’re nothing, but you think you are a superstar that can just take whatever you want from people, well I’m sick of it and it stops now.” 

With that, since JC hadn’t backed away, the woman held her eyes on his as she sharply brought her knee up hard to his groin.  JC exhaled rapidly as he collapsed to the floor, tears stinging his eyes at the pain. 

“That is just a small percentage of the pain that you have caused me to relive over and over.”  With a final haughty look, she turned and left and quickly as she had come. 

JC took a few moments to breathe through the agony, but he wanted that woman stopped before she escaped too far.  He crawled to the door, stopping to rest briefly before opening it and yelling for Pete.   

Pete came running down the hall, seeing JC writhing in pain on the floor.  “What happened?”

Lifting a hand, JC stopped Pete’s questions.  “Stop that woman that just left.”

Pete lifted his radio and spoke a few quick words, but JC pointed to the woman who was calmly walking toward the exit.  “Her – stop her, she did this, I want to talk to her.”  He said ominously.

JC let the door close as Pete ran down the hallway.  He knew whatever incompetence Pete had, he would at least stop the woman so JC concentrated to being able to stand and walk. 

Clearly, this would take awhile. 

***

JC recovered in stages, first sitting up on the floor, then moving to sit on the bed, then finally standing on wobbly legs.  And as he moved through each process, he got a little more angry until he was in a red cloud of fury.

What seemed to be hours later, he was finally able to shuffle around the room.  Now he was determined to find the woman and say a few choice words to her before she was taken away. 

With one hand on the wall of the hallway, he made his way to the room another security man had indicated.  He pounded on the locked door and waited impatiently for Pete to open it. 

JC pushed past Pete as soon as he opened the door.  Pete had secured the woman with a plastic zip tie holding her hands together behind her back.  She sat in a chair leaning as far forward as she could, fingers wiggling behind her back.  Her long brown hair had come untied from its ponytail and most of it was down around her face so that it was totally hidden from JC’s view. 

Full of anger, JC paced haltingly back and forth in front of the defeated looking woman.  “Who in the hell do you think you are?  Huh?”  He didn’t wait for a response.  “What gives you the right to break into my hotel room and – and assault me?”

JC’s fists clenched tightly as he looked down at her bent head.  “I have never seen you before in my life, you must have me mixed up with someone else, but that doesn’t excuse your behavior.”  Frustrated at her lack of response since he was raging for a verbal fight, he asked her the simplest question in his mind. 

“What is your name?” 

The woman slowly shook her head, still not raising her head.  For a moment, he wasn’t sure she was going to respond.  Then with a deep sigh, she uttered the one name that could bring him to his knees. 

“Kate.  My name is Kate.”

 

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading and please review!


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: solojc