Linda smiled when she looked out the window. “Melissa and Joey are here!” she called out to James who was in the family room. It was still very early on Thanksgiving Day, with company supposed to trickle in as the day wore on, with the meal being served around one that afternoon. She opened the door when the doorbell rang, hugging her daughter and then Joey. “Glad you could make it. You look still asleep Joey.”


“Not quite,” Joey said, carrying in the food they'd been asked to bring. He and Melissa had spent the night before cooking. Well, mostly him cooking but he'd convinced his girlfriend she wasn't going to burn down the kitchen and he'd enjoyed watching her bake a couple loaves of bread, the smile on her face when they came out perfect. Joey had grabbed the olive oil and oregano and made her try some hot. It ended up being a late night, but nothing he didn't mind losing a few hours sleep over. “What time's Lance coming?” he asked, knowing his friend would be there.


“I think Lance said he and Rachel would be here for drinks and appetizers around eleven. They were going to her family's for the actual dinner later,” Linda told him, shaking her head when he asked if she needed any help. “Get in there before my daughter drags you out by your ear.”


“I can take her,” Joey said with a smirk, hearing his name making a yikes face. “Happy Thanksgiving,” he told her, giving her a quick hug. He made his way to the family room where he shook James Bass' hand before sitting down next to Melissa who was grinning at him like a kid at Christmas. “You are way too happy about this stupid parade.” Joey laughed at her giving him a bad look, pulling her closer to him. “There's football pre-shows on,” he whispered a little bit later.


“I watched the whole thing last year cause these guys..uh, NSYNC were gonna sing at this stupid parade. It's tradition,” Melissa heard her dad snort, glaring at him. “Dad, you know you like it, you'll just side with Joey cause he's a guy and you aren't outnumbered with him here.”


James Bass held his hands up, “I'm Switzerland.” He handed Joey the remote and grinned. “You two argue over it. I was up too early basting a turkey..just don't break anything.”


Joey grinned at his having the remote, flipping the channel quickly and then back to the parade. “I have the remote,” he told Mel, holding his finger up and thumb out and passed it over the controller. “This is not the remote you're looking for.”

“Your Jedi mind trick won't work,” Melissa tried to get the remote from him, giggling when he pinned her down on the couch with one of her arms behind her back. “You're being stubborn,” she scoffed, smiling at him.


“I have three days off and I can watch football all day,” Joey argued, hearing James mutter something about kids and that he was going to get a drink. “What will make you let me change the channel?”he asked, holding the remote away from her free arm.


“When the parade's over,” she said, sticking out her tongue at him, squealing when he tossed the remote over where neither one of them could get it. Somehow, Melissa wiggled free and had almost gotten up when Joey grabbed her leg. “Joey!” she yelled, trying to shake him off. “You get the remote at your house!”


“We watch what you want most of the time,” he countered, enjoying the wrestling around. Joey knew it was for fun, not minding watching the parade, loving that he could aggravate her. “I'll let you hold the remote at home.”


“Fine,” Melissa said simply, laughing when he let her go to pick up the remote. “Ha! I got it now..” she turned the volume up, taunting Joey with changing the channel for a few seconds. “Aww,”she squished Joey's lips together and shook his head, seeing him glare. “De poor baby not getting his wittle foozball ..” she let his face go and kissed him. “You have to say the magic word.” She smirked at him and then screamed when he was on top of her, tickling her.


Joey pulled Melissa down and straddled her, watching where her knees were when he started tickling. “The magic word is please...” he said, his fingers finding sensitive areas, one was Melissa's ribcage as she laughed and screamed, still holding the remote. He could easily get it but this was much more fun.


In all the commotion, the two of them missed the doorbell and company that had shown up, a little old lady watching the two of them, her eyes wide, a small smile on her face. “Lord, Edgar, if I'd have known a live sex show was going on, I'd have went to the bank and gotten dollar bills to hand out,” the elderly woman said loud enough for Joey and Melissa to hear.


Joey and Melissa froze; her head peeking out at her grandparents from underneath Joey's arm. “Uh..Hi grandma. We're watching the parade.”She made no mention of what her grandmother said, her face red. 'Busted' she mouthed to Joey.


“Hello, Mrs. Raynes,” Joey said, pulling Melissa to a sitting position and getting off her. “You won the remote,” he told Mel, shrugging at Edgar who just laughed and shook his head. They both got up to greet them.


“I told you to call me Louise,” the older woman chided Joey, patting his cheek. “You better be treating my Nikki good.” Louise always called her grandchildren by their middle names, hence Lance being “Lance” and Melissa was “Nikki” only to her grandmother.


“I am. She's hard to handle sometimes,” Joey told her, hugging her and greeting Edgar. “What? You are...” he said to Melissa who was shaking her head. “Be proud. We made the bread from my Nona's recipe last night and Mel did it all by herself. Well, I brought the dough from my Mom's and helped kneed it, but she did the rest.”


Melissa flushed red and shook her head. “You act like I should get an award, Joey. It was good though,” she told her grandparents, beaming when they just looked at the two of them and smiled.


“Si, magnifico bambina mia,” Joey told her, both of them following the company to the kitchen, the remote still laying in the floor where it had been dropped.


“Next thing you know she'll be asking us if we're getting married,” Melissa whispered, shaking her head at him. Her grandmother asked her that every time she saw her whether she had a boyfriend or not.


Joey laughed at that statement, lacing his fingers through hers.“Nona asked me that a couple weeks ago when she called. I told her you were waiting on me to grow up and she said you need to not put so much pressure on me.” He grinned at the drop of her jaw, using a finger to shut her mouth. “What can I say, I'm her favorite?”


“Remind me to have a word with your Nona,” Melissa said, their teasing remarks forgotten as more people started coming in, cousins and other friends and family, including Chris, Lance and Rachel.



“Wow, this is awesome,” Chris said, having been out of town the last couple years visiting family, grabbing a small plate and some finger foods after hugging Melissa and fist bumping Joey. “You're coming over for game night, right?” he asked the four of them, grinning. After stuffing themselves with turkey and all the trimmings, it was going to be a party with drinks and games. Justin and JC were even going to fly back for it, wanting to spend time together without having work. Right then, conversations flowed around them and men could be heard yelling and talking loudly as the football game was turned on.


“Next time I'm taping the parade,” Melissa told Rachel, grabbing a plate as they went to the kitchen where the other women were, leaving the guys to talk. “Is Lance nervous about dinner with your parents?”


Rachel smiled, taking a plate and grabbing a stuffed wonton. She shook her head. “Not really. He's good at winging it. We'll stay for a while here, then go over to the house. I didn't think any liquor stores would be open today, but I called yesterday and found out they would be so we'll stop before we come to Chris' house.”


“I think we're going to pick up Justin and JC at the airport, but we'll be there.”


*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

Melissa stood at the terminal, watching people get off the plane. A small smile played on her lips at seeing Justin and JC coming towards the exit. They were both waving at her, trying not to be noticed in their hats and sunglasses. Joey had opted to stay in the car so hopefully they could get out in one piece. Ricky had come with her, one of the security guys for a 'just in case' type thing, big enough to make people look twice, but he was in plain clothes standing next to her.


“Happy Thanksgiving, chica,” Justin said, hugging her tight when he got to her first. “I missed you and your stupid damn jokes.” He didn't let her go for a minute, then shoved her over to JC, who hugged her just as hard, wishing her a Happy Thanksgiving. “Sup, Rick?” Justin said, slapping the man's hand with a grin.


“Where'd you leave Superman?” JC asked after a hug, smiling at the notion of Joey sitting in the pickup parking when he heard the answer. “We just brought carry ons, so we're good to go.”


Rick led them through the airport and out to where their ride was, not taking any money from Mel. “I live ten minutes away and had to get away from the in-laws for a bit. I should be paying you,” he told her telling the guys bye and going to his own vehicle after telling them he'd see them next week.


“Did you miss me?” Justin asked as they got into the back of Joey's Range Rover, fistbumping him.


“Like a toothache, Timberlake,” Joey replied, grinning when Justin flipped him the bird. “I don't swing that way. Sides,” he leaned over and kissed Melissa on the lips. “I got a girlfriend.”


“It's getting hot in here, so take off all your clothes,” JC sang, with Justin chiming in.


“I am getting so hot, I wanna take my clothes off,” Justin sang, starting to unbutton his shirt, laughing at the both of them. “Please tell me you aren't gonna have sex on the bus. I don't wanna know about that shit.”

"We'll try to keep it down,” Joey said with a smirk.

"Try," Melissa slid Justin a look out of the corner of her eye. "Joey's a screamer."

The occupants burst out laughing as a blush crept up Joey's neck.


“So we won't tell you,” Joey told him with a grin as Justin groaned, covering his ears. Joey shook his head as they pulled out to head towards Chris' house. “How was the family, Josh?”


“They were good, man. They all said hi. My aunt asked if I was gonna be home for Christmas. I told her yes and she told me she was going to whip me if I wasn't there,” JC said with an obvious grin of affection for his family, “My mom cried at that. How was Thanksgiving for you two?”


“We ate with my family today, tomorrow is Joey's family,”Melissa said, turning around so she could talk, making faces at Justin, who was now listening. “I won remote control rights to Joey's tv.”


“Just stuff the remote and your balls in Mel's purse. You ain't seeing those anymore, dawg,” Justin told Joey.


Joey flipped him the bird and laughed. “I don't let her lead me around like that. You aren't any better.”


Melissa didn't miss the look that came over Justin's face as he looked out the window. “You okay, JT?” she watched him nod, suddenly interested in his phone. She made it a note to ask him later, glad when they pulled into Chris' driveway. There were a few cars there and she saw Lance and Rachel were already inside.


“Hey, Rach and Lance are here,” Melissa pointed out as they got out, hoping they had a good time.


“He's in so much trouble, Rachel's already dragging him around to family stuff. Better dust off the mantle for a family picture with the Weatherly's, holidays with the in-laws,” Justin joked as he shut the door. “We already know you're whipped, Fatone.”


Justin walked up to the door and put his finger to his mouth, proceeding to pound on the door, yelling “Police!”


"Come out with your hands up." Joey echoed, trying not to laugh.

"We have the place surrounded," JC chimed in, all of them listening to footfalls and loud talking inside.

Chris opened the door, and Justin whooped at the look on his face. “You thought we were the fuckin' cops. That was awesome,” he said, throwing his arm around Chris in a manly hug.


“Wouldn't be the first time,” Chris replied, shoving Justin playfully as they all came in. He eyed Joey and nodded a little at the game that was carried in.


The hugs didn't end with Justin and Chris, all five of them slapped backs and hugged, talking about their holiday and other things.


“So I heard you went and hung out with Jed Clampett in Beverly Hills,” Justin said, making Lance roll his eyes and shake his head. “How was it dawg? Did you pass the test?”


“Only you, Justin...” Lance sighed, nodding, “It was good, ya know. No one was too nosy and treated me nice. They thought we were a couple.”

Justin grinned and slid his arm around Rachel as well, pulling her into his embrace. “Good to know y'all's acting skills are up to snuff. I love that you two are together,” Justin gave them a sincere smile. “Just don't let anyone give you shit.”


“We won't. Especially you, Timberlake,” Rachel told him, hugging him back before she slipped from his arms and off to hug Chris and then JC.


Rachel watched JC set down his drink and pull her to him. She couldn't help but sigh to herself. He smelled good, like cologne and soap, not looking liked he'd been on a plane the last few hours. “Hi JC,” she said, standing there a moment and soaking it up. The tingly feeling she should have when she hugged Lance was there, one that she was trying to ignore and remind herself she wasn't wanting a real relationship with someone. She'd been hurt too many times before.


“Hi Rachel. How was your turkey day?” JC asked her, not missing the fact she looked nice, not overly dressed, but still put together. He figured it didn't matter what he thought, since she was dating Lance, even just for pretend he wasn't going to try and even see where those thoughts would take him. Instead, he let her go as he listened to her answer and grabbed his drink once more.


“Now that everyone's here, let the fun begin!” he announced, garnering whoops and hollers. There was more food and all sorts of beverages set out with a few different tables of games.


“How was dinner?” Melissa asked Rachel, grabbing a water for herself and a beer for Joey, hugging her friend once more as they moved towards the entrance to the kitchen.


“It was good. My grandpa enjoyed talking to Lance. Any other guy he's met that was my boyfriend,” she made a face at the word, “he ignored. Though looking back on some of those, I wish I had ignored them as well. What the hell was I thinking? Anyway, he thought your brother was great. How was yours? Besides Lucy of course...” Rachel's grin grew wider when Chris let out of loud groan as he walked by.


“Lucy was seated down at the other end of the table away from her future husband, much to her eleven year old dismay,” Melissa said, trying not to laugh. Lucy was her cousin who was convinced she was the love of Chris' life and for the past three years had made attempts at any family gathering to have Lance or Melissa tell their friend how she felt. “It was good...ate too much food. Watched football and then ate dessert. I think they were going back for leftovers when we left to get the guys. Nothing too exciting. Tomorrow will be the one where you don't know if a fight will break out or not. Joey's mafia ties and stuff,” Melissa continued, listening to Joey cackle at her comment, shaking his head as he shuffled cards.


“He wishes he was cool enough for that. You got the goofy guy, Mel.” Rachel looked around at the guys and some of the other people there from the band and group. She knew most of them, walking around with Melissa before games got underway, conversations coming and going about all sorts of stuff. It was going to be a fun night.


Rachel took a drink of her Pepsi and looked over at Lance. “Your brother was so good. Everything went smoothly and no one ever suspected we weren't really together. It was so nice to see my family treat him so well...I felt a little bad about it,” Rachel's voice faltered just slightly and she gave her best friend a look. “I wish I could find someone that treats me as good as your brother does. Or how Joey does you...” her voice trailed off as she looked over to where Joey and Lance were now talking.


Melissa put her arm around Rachel and pulled her in close. “You'll find someone like that. Maybe not today, but some guy will come along and sweep you off your feet. Hell be better than my brother, someone you can have a real relationship with.”


“You're just trying to make me feel better,” Rachel explained, goosing Melissa's ribs, giving her a small smile before frowning again . “I always seem to find the losers out there. So far I've struck out...maybe it's just not in the cards, you know. I can do this fake thing with Lance. Maybe it will let me figure out what to look for.” Rachel's gaze swept around the room and her eyes met JC's for a second before moving on. She didn't need any more thoughts clouding her judgment, relieved that she could keep her feelings separate about Lance and about other men.


JC swallowed hard and looked away from Rachel, downing his drink. The expression was momentary, but he'd caught Rachel's pained expression that told him she wasn't happy. He wasn't sure what made her feel that way. It wasn't his place to ask, watching the look go when she realized he'd seen her. He went back to listening to one of their friends talk, pushing it to the back of his mind for now. If it affected the group, or someone in the group, he'd make sure to get to the bottom of it. At the same time, he wasn't like Justin, who was a busy body. JC dealt with facts and figures, the reality of the situation more than feelings. It wasn't to say he didn't have feelings, but he tried not to be in everyone's business, even though something told him that Rachel was going to be part of the group more than he'd know right then.


“Just make sure you and my brother don't get hurt, Rach. You're both too good for that. Call it off if that starts to happen,” Melissa told Rachel quietly a few moments later.


Rachel grabbed a water and opened it, taking a drink before she answered. “You're brother's not gonna hurt me. It's all good. I promise,” she told her friend, watching Joey and Chris settle in with a couple of guys in the band to play poker.


“What am I missing?” Justin asked, knocking back a shot of vodka and pouring another, leaning on the counter next to the girls. He smiled widely, having come up a moment ago to get more to drink, deciding on shots.


“Just girl talk, Timberlake. You know, emotions and good mushy stuff,” Melissa said, grabbing a shot glass and letting Justin pour her a shot.


“Bullshit,” Justin said to them both, laughing. “You're over here swapping sex tips and shit. All this cock around and I know what girls talk about. You can't help it when all this eye candy is here.”


Rachel rolled her eyes and shook her head at him. “I hate to tell you, but looks aren't the only thing that's getting me into bed.”


“No, a couple more shots should do it,” Mel quipped, making Justin choke on his shot, laughing and coughing after he recovered. “That. Was. Epic,” he told them, laughing gleefully. He was glad to be there with his friends, enjoying their time to just goof off and relax.


*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*


“It looks like a giant penis, man!” Chris yelled, laughing when Joey chucked a marker at him. “So it's not a body part?”


“A mountain...a camel hump...a rainbow,” Melissa yelled out, throwing the marker back at Joey, laughing when he drew a big x through what he was doing and started on something else.


“You suck at drawing, Fatone!” Justin yelled, getting the bird. “Just act it out...we don't give a shit.”


“You can't act out a parachute, you dipshit,” Joey told him as the buzzer rang. “See?” he told his teammates, pointing out the strings and stick man.


“If you jumped off the coffee table and fell on the floor, they might have got it,” Lance joked, listening to Chris yell about his precious table. “Or they might have thought that was normal.”


“No love, I'm tellin' ya,” Joey said, sitting down and kissing Melissa's temple.


“You two better be glad I've drank some or I'd be telling you to find a room,” Rachel said with a laugh, laughing harder when Joey jumped up and grabbed Melissa's arm, dragging her back towards the hallway. “That wasn't a suggestion, Fatone!”


Rachel looked at Justin and Lance. “It's my turn,” she drew a card and shook her head. “What game is this, Joey? Porno Pictionary?” she got up and uncapped a marker, looking at JC to start the time.


“I'd say just act it out if you can't draw it,” Lance said, laughing when JC chucked the pencil he was using at Justin's hair.


Rachel's time went by slow it seemed, and she drew a line on her paper, then another and money signs around it.


“The tax collector!” Justin yelled, and they all dissolved in a fit of laughter at the look on her face.


“You're a moron,” Rachel told him, giving them all a grin. “You might wanna cover Joey's eyes,” she told Melissa, starting to unbutton her shirt and shake her hips just slightly.


“Damn it, my money's in my room!” Chris shouted, his eyes getting wide.


Lance watched Rachel and then looked at the drawing. “It's a stripper pole!” he yelled, jumping up in victory off the couch. “You all quit looking at my girlfriend like that. Only I get to see the goods...well, you know,” he said when they all raised an eyebrow.


“It wasn't an offer, it was for the game, you sickos,” she pulled Melissa's hand away from Joey's face and he gave her an innocent look. “You're too young for that, Fatone,” Rachel teased.


Joey chuckled and shook his head at her, taking a long pull of his beer as his girlfriend got up to play.


Melissa looked at the piece of paper in her hands. “You two better get this right if I'm drawing. We're losing by ten points,” she chided over her shoulder to them. They all had a buzz going, nothing bad, but it made it more funny with everyone trying to draw.


“Then quit talking and start drawing,” Joey said, wiping his hands on his pants, giving Chris a look before watching his girlfriend.


“Okay..” JC watched the stop watch, “go!”


Melissa drew a bouquet of flowers and a wedding dress, laughing at the suggestions Chris and Joey were throwing out.


“A wedding in drag!” Chris yelled, laughing, chinking his beer bottle against Justin's.


“It doesn't have to be a wedding you dumbass!” Joey said, wasting time. He could tell Melissa was getting aggravated as she kept drawing; he and Chris yelling out stupid answers until JC said time. She kept drawing and he watched her finish the picture, amazed even in 90 seconds that she could draw that well. “What was it?” he asked, waiting until Chris had the video camera out, putting a finger up to his lips as he pulled out a ring box.


“It was “Will You Marry Me” and I can't believe you two dopes didn't know...” Melissa chose that moment to turn around and her mouth dropped open, then she started shaking her head. “Oh my god, Joey,” she whispered, seeing him get down on one knee. “What are you doing?”


“What does it look like I'm doing?” Joey asked with a chuckle at her biting her bottom lip as he took her hand. He gave her a nervous smile. “I...” he looked at the guys and the camera blowing out a breath, then back at her. “I can't imagine anyone having a place in my heart like you do, bambina. You are my heart and know me like no one else does. I want to spend the rest of my life having a life with you. Marry me, Melissa Nicole Bass.” Joey opened the ring box and laughed through a few tears that managed to escape down his cheeks when she laughed. A strawberry ring pop sat in the box and he just shrugged.


“As you can see, Fatone went for the biggest rock he could,”Chris narrated, waiting for the answer.


Melissa smiled, wiping tears and started nodding. “Yes, Joey,”she told him, trying not to laugh, hugging and kissing him as Rachel got out her phone and snapped pictures. Her face was buried in his neck, laughing and crying at the same time when he moved, pulling out the real ring.


Joey held the diamond ring up. “Bambina,” he said softly, smiling when she looked and saw the ring. “Do you like it?” he asked, watching her nod.


“It looks old..but in a good way,” she said softly, watching Joey smile as he slipped it on her hand. She held her hand up and then kissed him hard on the mouth, hugging him once more.


Joey returned her affections and held her left hand, his thumb playing with the ring. “It came from Italy,” he told Melissa and the rest of their company who was watching and listening, giving them a small smile. “My grandfather asked my Nona to marry him with this ring. When she couldn't wear it anymore, it went around a chain until the chain broke almost seven years ago.” Joey swallowed hard, trying to hold back the emotion in his voice. “When I met my fiance...and then took her to meet my grandmother, Nona told me when I was ready to come get it for my soulmate,” he explained, not sure how to explain the tears and the smile on his face, threatening to stay there for the rest of his life.


The quiet was shattered when Chris let out a big whoop and congratulations, jumping off the couch to congratulate them, the video camera still going from it's sideways position on the couch. The rest of the group followed suit, with more congratulations and shots all around.


“You'll be my maid of honor right?” Melissa asked Rachel, hugging her tight.


“No, I think I'll be busy that day,” Rachel quipped, giving her a dirty look. “You better call your parents and tell them,” she studied the ring and pursed her lips. “What are you going to do with the other one?” she asked, referring to the ring pop. “It seems like a shame to let it go to waste.”


“I think I'll save it for the honeymoon.”


“I don't even want to know,” Rachel started, holding up her hands.


“You may not, but I sure as hell do,” Joey told her, coming up and slipping an arm around Melissa, pulling Chris over to him and slugging his shoulder affectionately. “I owe you one, man.”


Chris shrugged and shook his head. “You don't owe me shit. All you said I had to do was run the video camera and help you figure out what how you were proposing. All I wanna know is how many little girls hearts you're breaking.”


Joey shrugged. “They'll live, man. Long as I don't break this one's heart, I'm good.” He pulled his phone out of his pocket and took a picture of the ring on her finger and sent off the picture. “Nona finally got a cell phone, let's see if she remembers how to work it.” Joey's phone rang a few minutes later and he grinned, answering in Italian. He laughed after a moment then hung up.


“What did she say?” Melissa asked, smiling as Joey wiped his eyes once more, still laughing.


“She asked if this meant we'd grown up, then she wanted to know when she needed to call Italy and book the church. And she told me to tell you to not take advantage of my morals. ”


Melissa raised an eyebrow at him as the closest people around them burst out laughing. “I think it's a little late for that, don't you?”


“What Nona doesn't know, won't hurt her.”




You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: joey