Author's Chapter Notes:
My beta, jr88freak, and I named this chapter the novella. It came in with edits a whopping 26 pages. Bring your sense of humor and your tissues as well. Thanks for reading, I would love more reviews. It is nice to hear what readers think.  Love to you all.
“Chicas!” Justin called out when he saw Rachel and Melissa walk through the doors of the bowling alley he reserved for the party. He'd pulled them away from Lance and Joey, ignoring the men's protests. There were quite a few people there already, some family, a lot friends. All were ready to have a good time and celebrate the holiday. Music was already blaring from the overhead speakers as guests gathered around, mingling “Did you miss me?” he asked, kissing them both on the cheek. He didn't care who saw him, ignoring Joey's protest. “I ain't kissin' you dawg. Sorry.”

“Keep your lips off my woman, Justin!” Joey yelled at him, nodding to a couple people he knew.

“Go find your own,” Lance stifled a laugh as Justin made a big showing of kissing Melissa, which caused Joey to spout off.

“Hi, Justin,” Rachel told him, accepting his affections and hugging him back. “How was your Christmas?” she asked when she stepped back, Lance coming up beside her. She gave him a smile and noticed out of the corner of her eye the final two members of the group, JC and Chris, entering the alley. She wiggled her fingers at Chris and JC when she saw them making their way towards where they stood.

“It was fuckin' epic. How was yours? I see you both scored some bling,” Justin said as he greeted Joey and Lance, which was a cluster of hand slaps, one armed hugs and backslapping which only grew when Chris and JC joined them.

“It was good,” Rachel told him, laughing at the disjointed-ness of their conversation, making her way to JC since Melissa and Chris were hugging like they'd not seen one another in a year. “Really?” she laughed at the two of them.

“Ignore Chris. He's had way too much caffeine between the airport and here,” JC told Rachel giving her a dazzling smile before pulling her into a hug. He knew he couldn''t let the hug linger too long, but he was glad her hair was long enough to allow him to give her a light squeeze, just enough to be more than a hug. “Merry Christmas. How are you, Rach?” he asked after letting her go.

Rachel was thankful she'd already had a smile on her face or it might have looked suspicious for her to smile more, still standing close to him; accepting a hug from Chris next. “I'm good, JC. How was your Christmas?”

“It was good,” JC told her, pulling Melissa to him in a sideways hug. “Not long enough as usual. Didn't get enough sleep.”

“I think you could sleep for a week and say that, man,” Joey came up on the other side of Melissa and slapped JC's hand in greeting. The five guys and two girls all talked for a bit before Justin found a microphone. Clearly he was the host of the party, grinning at the whistles and cheers he was garnering when he got up on the bar that ran along the divider between where the bowling lanes were and the carpeted area that had the concession stand and pool tables and other games.

“What the fuck is up, people?” Justin yelled, causing even more ruckus. “Thanks for coming out to be here. I know you didn't want more damn turkey or to sit and watch re-runs,” he said, walking along the bar, making sure not to trip over anyone's drink. “This is just for all of us to have fun and mingle, make new friends, see old friends. But...I would ask that if you bowl, if you play pool, hell, if you go take a piss, take a minute to throw some cash in one of the big jars you'll see..” Justin pointed to them, being held up. “I always party with a purpose, and this year it's going to help the Memphis and Orlando Boys and Girls Clubs respectively. So if you'll do that, we'll all be golden. And one more thing. Give a big hand to Steve and all the other flunkies working tonight. I love you guys! All the food and beverages have been paid for, so all you gotta get is your shoes and it's twenty bucks a person to bowl until you drop. Ten of it goes in the jar, so you can't be a stingy bastard.” Justin grinned, hopping down. “One more piece of business,” he said, walking towards Melissa and Rachel, his grin growing.

“What are you doing, Timberlake?” Melissa whispered, trying to hide behind Joey, who was pulling her off him and grinning.

“Rumor has it you're throwing some type of New Year's party, chica,” Justin said, pulling her out into the middle of one of the bowling lanes. “This is Melissa. Lance's little sister...she's hopelessly in love with that guy named Joey..Anyways, tell everyone what the theme is.”

Melissa glared at Justin, hating to be the center of attention. “Grease..Why?”

“I just thought it would be funny as hell to get you out here. Rach, come out here too,” Justin said, clearly enjoying the two girls being embarrassed.

“I will cut off your hair while you sleep,” Rachel whispered to Justin as she stood on the other side of him. She glanced over at Lance and JC, wondering why they had smiles on their faces.

The two girls looked at Justin, wondering what he was up to. They heard encouraging yells from over where the rest of the NSYNC entourage had sat, figuring out this was a set up. Rachel mouthed, 'dead' to Melissa, who nodded.

“So...you've been to concerts. Backstage, on tour, at practice, yadda yadda. Me and the guys wanted to know though, what the fuck is up with imitating us?” Justin asked, smiling at the lost look on their faces. “We wanted to see it for real.”

Melissa's eyes widened when she realized what Justin wanted. She and Rachel used to blast the upbeat songs and do the dance moves as exercise. It was the best workout she could find, and it took them a while to get it right. She hadn't counted on the guys coming home either as Bye Bye Bye was pounding the speakers. “Sleep with one eye open, buddy..you'll be singing Chris' part.”


Rachel started shaking her head no, but then stopped. It was all in fun...she'd done the dance moves enough that she knew them in her sleep. She and Mel could best Justin at his own game. “Fine, Justin, play Bye Bye Bye,” she told him, listening to the cheers, nodding at Mel.

“Holy shit, they're gonna do it,” Lance murmured, watching his sister and girlfriend laugh and get in place as Justin stood there when the music came on. He'd figured they'd both bow out, but his grin grew wider as they mouthed the words, dancing almost better than NSYNC themselves.

“Don't wanna be a fool for you, just another player in your game for two..” Melissa and Rachel had smiles on their faces, enjoying seeing the surprised looks on the guy's faces.

“Fuck, I'm going out there,” Joey told Justin, getting up before the chorus started, falling in line behind the girls, garnering more screams and camera flashes. He wasn't going to miss out on the opportunity to do this, especially to see her and Rachel have this much fun. “You guys are a bunch of pansies,” Joey hollered at the other four, bringing them all out there.

JC grinned at Rachel as Justin sang with the song, watching her laugh at how silly they were all being. He was impressed that they both accepted Justin's challenge and was honestly surprised at how good they were. “How long have you practiced that?” he asked as they all bowed.

“Took us about a month to learn it and It's Gonna Be Me,” Rachel told him, breathing a little harder and wiped a bead of sweat off her face. “That's all we did for exercise every day for a couple of hours,” she explained, taking a water from Justin.

“You kicked major ass,” Lance told her, pulling her in for a quick kiss when they went to sit down and start putting in names for bowling. “I'm on Rachel's team. Joey has to be on the other team, we had a bet.”

“How much did Justin lose by us dancing?” Rachel asked, fist bumping Melissa as she was saying something to Chris.

“Four benjamins,” Justin answered, a grin on his face as he sat down. “You all set me up. But what the fuck do I care? That was awesome.”

“I think Joey just joined in to look at my ass,” Melissa said, messing up Joey's hair.

“I was helping out, Bambina,” Joey told replied, winking at her. He slipped his fingers through hers, leaning over to kiss her cheek. “You got some moves, Melly.”

“Me and Rach are just awesome. We roll that way.” Melissa smiled at him rolling his eyes.

“Geez, now it starts,” Lance said, getting up and grabbing a ball. He smiled at Rachel. “How big is your ego?”

“Well, since we bested mister superstar, it's pretty damn big,” she pointed a finger at Joey and Melissa, “we'll take you two on. Bass and Weatherly against the two of you.”

“It's on,” Melissa told Rachel, laughing at Chris who was putting in names. “What the hell is that?” she asked as he laughed. Melissa watched as Chris asked Joey how to spell his last name, laughing at Joey's phonetically correct pronunciation, adding it to her first initial

“Just getting used to seeing it,” Chris told them, “What? You get that goofy grin on your face. All we have to do is mention Joey,” Chris laughed when Melissa's face turned red and she blushed, hiding her face in Joey's shoulder.


“It’s quite disgusting,” Rachel made a face, ducking to the left into Lance when a shoe came flying at her. She grabbed the bright yellow and orange bowling shoe and raised an eyebrow at her best friend. She made a point to look down at her friend’s shoeless foot. “I should launch this down the lane and watch as you fall on your ass to get it.”

Melissa stuck her tongue out at Rachel. “This is nothing worse than what you did back in our sophomore year with-” she let out a yelp as the shoe came flying back at her with a little more force than she threw it with.

“Give me this,” Joey snatched the shoe away from Melissa and proceeded to put it on his fiancée’s foot. “Before you two end up hurting someone.”

“What did you do your sophomore year?” Lance asked interested.

“Nothing,” Rachel said, shooting a glare in Melissa’s direction as she laughed. “Your body will never be found,” she threatened.

Melissa laughed in response shaking her head as the guys tried to get her to spill. “No way.”

“Don’t worry,” Joey said, “I have ways. I’ll get it out of her.” He grinned.

“Not this time Fatone,” Melissa stood up, moving her feet around in the shoes. “She means business. She’s threatened more than once to put me on one of her grandfather’s oil rigs in the middle of the ocean.”

“Keeps her in line,” Rachel grinned when the guys shot her a questioning look. Her eyes widened when she caught the names Chris had imputed in the bowling score card. R.W. Bass.

“What is that?” she nudged Lance and pointed to the screen.

“I stopped trying to understand some of the things Chris does a long time ago,” Lance slipped his arm around her shoulder, settling her closer to his side. He let himself lean into her and she rested her hand on his thigh. It was crazy, sometimes, how easily they slipped into the couple persona.

“Sometimes I wonder if they weren’t dropped on their heads when they were little,” Rachel pointed to where Mel, Joey and Justin where dancing to ‘Cotton-Eyed-Joe’ that had come over the speakers.



“I told Mom she just felt bad for Mel and adopted her instead of leaving her in the woods to be raised by wolves,” Lance replied, slapping at his sister who reached for his hair. “Mess with Joey's hair.”

“You bum,” Melissa finished her jig and sat down next to him, “if you didn't have me, what would you do?” She leaned on Lance's shoulder, smiling up at him.

“I'd have less headaches,” Lance shifted his arm, wrapping it around his sister's shoulders.

“Say cheese!” Justin called to them, snapping a picture when the three of them looked up at him smiling.

“Amen,” Rachel seconded, laughing. “Besides, if we didn't have you Mel, Joey might almost be normal.”

“Burn!” JC yelled, coming back from getting a strike. “Read it and weep ladies and gents. I am in the lead.”

“He is JC, hear him roar!” Chris announced, getting up next, along with Lance on the other side on their lane.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^
“I can't bowl anymore, my arm's gonna fall off,” Rachel told Chris, Lance and Justin, surprised they'd already bowled four games already. “I'm gonna go find Mel.” She leaned in and kissed Lance's cheek as he talked strategy with Justin's friend Trace about some sports thing.

“I'll find you when we're done with this game,” Lance told her, returning the kiss and giving her a smile. He watched Trace follow Rachel with his eyes as she walked off. He didn't dislike Trace, but Trace was one of those guys who liked to flirt a little too much for his liking.

“So, you and her, huh? How'd ya get so damn lucky?” Trace asked, the tone of voice sounding a little teasing, but not mean.

“Not sure. It just sort of happened,” Lance told him, laughing at the 'awwww' Chris gave. “She's one in a million.” Lance watched Rachel sit down on a stool next to Melissa, smiling at them laughing. He was so glad his sister had Rachel as a friend, thinking back to when she first invited Rachel over. The two of them had laughed and giggled and driven him crazy. And ever since then, it hadn't changed much other than now they were all grown. Lance thought about Melissa getting married and hoped someday it was in the cards for him, albeit very different. His eyes went back to Rachel before focusing back on his friends, trying to join back in their conversation, not wanting to think ahead to much on things that hadn't happened yet. Things he wasn't ready to go through. It would all happen in due time, and now he just wanted to focus on the next few days and the fun that was going to happen.

*^*^*^*^*^

Joey heard the knock on his door and went to answer it, letting in Melissa and Rachel. He took the bags they had and put them on the couch. “Don't tell me this is all they had?” he asked, peering down into what they'd bought from the party shop.

“You only decided to party on the most popular night of the year, Joey,” Rachel told him, laughing when Melissa produced another bag out of her purse with some more stuff. They had streamers, noise-makers, plus all the paper plates and everything else.

“We got the shit,” Justin yelled, walking through the door that had been left open since the girls were still in the entry way. “And we even picked up you girls some things,” he grinned at them wickedly.

“Knowing you, you probably picked up the erotic Grease costumes,” Rachel quipped. “Too late,” she said when she saw Justin’s face light up.

"Those were the crotchless pants Sandy wore right?" Joey whispered to Melissa, laughing when she yelped and covered her face as it turned red.

“Grease: The Erotic Musical,” Rachel held up her hands, fingers spread like she was picturing a sign. “Coming this summer to a theatre near you.”

“I will never be able to watch Grease the same again,” Melissa laughed, wiping at her eyes, to which Rachel just grinned in reply.

“Your mind is a scary place,” Joey told Rachel as they all moved from the entry way.

It was Rachel, Lance, Justin and JC joining them and Chris would be over later. She set the bags on the counter and went over to where Justin was pulling out costumes. “This will be great,” she said, excited when she saw the guys grabbing the jackets and putting them on.

“Dawg, who's gonna be Zucco?” Justin asked, slipping on his 'T-Birds' jacket. “I think it should be me.”

“Why should it be you?” Joey asked him, raising an eyebrow. “It was our idea for the theme...I should get to pick.”

“Joe, you and Mel should be Rizzo and Kenickie, since you all have sex so much,” Lance pointed out with a laugh as Joey glared at him.

“You're just jealous 'cause you aren't getting any.”

“No one wants to hear that crap,” JC interjected. “Besides, Lance and Justin are blonde, they can fight over who's being Putsie. I should be Zucco, I got the dark hair and I can dance.”

“We can all dance, Einstein,” Lance rolled his eyes. “And in twenty minutes I can have dark hair.”

“I should be Zucco, he's the leader of the T-Birds and...”

“Maybe we should have them audtion and we pick the best one?” Melissa said as she and Rachel sat on the couch, watching the argument with bemused looks on their faces. “Four grown men arguing over characters from a movie. Pathetic.”

“Be glad Chris isn't here,” Rachel leaned over and whispered, holding her 'Pink Ladies' jacket. “He'd be in the middle of it.”

“He'd probably win,” Melissa told her, trying not to laugh when they starting singing bits of Greased Lightening.

“What do the girls think?” the question was posed from JC as four pairs of eyes turned to Melissa and Rachel.

“You guys audtion and we'll pick the best one.”

“What?” Lance asked, looking at both of them, bickering still going on beside him.

“No way,” JC told them.

“I'm okay with that,” Joey replied with a shrug.

“Of course you are, Fatone,” Justin told him, “we have wouldn't have impartial judges. They might be swayed in your direction.”

“And what's wrong with that?” Joey asked, giving Melissa a wink.

“Everything, dawg.”

“I think you should let us be the T-Birds and the four of you be the 'Pink Ladies'. I'd pay to see that,” Melissa told them, watching as horror came across their faces at the thought of cross dressing.


“Justin can be Rizzo.”

“Who will play the virginal Sandy?” Melissa questioned, causing Rachel burst out with laughter. She eyeballed each man unable to quiet her laughter. She collapsed against Rachel as she dissolved into laughs, tears falling from her eyes. When Joey volunteered it caused the girls to laugh even harder.

“With the way you are all over Mel? No way could you ever be mistaken as a virgin.”

“Oh yeah because you scream ‘virgin’, Joey retorted, glaring at Justin.

“Are they really fighting over who would make a better female character?”

“Yes,” Rachel nodded solemnly as she wiped away the tears from laughing so hard. She got up and found a piece of paper and a pen on the counter. She ripped it up into five pieces and quickly wrote out the characters names. “Alright Children, listen up,” she called out, stopping the boys’ continuing argument. “Danny, Kenickie, Sonny, Putsie, and Doody.”
She folded up the pieces of paper as she said their names. “Joseph, your hat.” The hat was handed over without protest. “Now,” she dropped the pieces in before sitting it down on the coffee table. “We’ll draw names when Chris gets here.”

“No trading or swapping,” Melissa said. Then added, “Or selling, buying of any manner. Got it?”
The guys mumbled ‘yes ma’ams’ in defeat.

“Whoever Joey and Lance draw, we’ll be the matching female character.


“Women,” Justin muttered, shaking his head. “Sometimes I'd like to see you two fight over shit.”

“We do fight over stuff. Just important stuff,” Rachel told him. “Like who's cuter, Brian Littrell or Nick Carter.” She knew that would set them off again as they started yelling once more.

“She did not just say something about you thinking a Backstreet Boy was cute did she?” Joey asked Melissa, raising an eyebrow at her. He watched her blush and shrug, grabbing streamers out of a bag. “Do I need to have an intervention?”


“More like Backstreet Anonymous,” Rachel muttered, dodging Melissa’s hand.

“Need I remind you of our sophomore year?” She looked at Rachel before turning back to Joey. “And you have no room to talk! He who says he is in love with Pamela Anderson,” Melissa retorted, giving him a grin of her own. “I'm glad she's not come to one of the concerts or I'd be left hanging...”

“I'd never do that to you,” Joey told her. “Oh hi Pam, this is my uh....um...Who are you again?” He winked at Melissa, laughing when she smacked him playfully, pulling her in for a kiss. “I love you, Bambina.”

Melissa's lips met Joey and she sighed, ignoring the cat calls and whistles. “I love you too. I told you Rachel and I got tickets to a concert right?”

“Front row center, baby. Up against the stage.”

Justin snickered at the look on Joey's face, “What's wrong, Fatone. Can't get your woman front row center for stuff?”

Joey flipped him the bird and shook his head, snorting. “You're seriously going to that?” he asked both of the girls as they nodded, big smiles on their faces.

“We've seen your show enough, we need some new eye candy,” Rachel said loudly, snickering at the crestfallen looks. “Oh give me a break. Y'all are so serious. Why would we go see them? You have the smoking gun.”

“I knew they loved me,” Justin bragged, puffing out his chest.

“You?” Melissa looked at Justin like he was crazy. “We were talking about Chris.”

As if they'd timed it, Chris walked through the door and stared at them all. “What did I miss?”

The other four guys drug him over to the hat and had Melissa hold it while they argued over who was drawing first.

“Oldest to youngest,” Chris said, but got vetoed down by Justin.

“How about we go by your name as it falls in NSYNC. Justin, Chris, Joey, Lance and JC,” Rachel said, sighing when they again disagreed. “Okay, everyone close your eyes.”

“Are you gonna depants us?” Chris asked, smiling.

“You wish, Kirkpatrick. No girl wants to see your skivvies,” JC told him, chuckling, his eyes closed.

“I thought going commando was all the rage,” Justin said, all of them cracking up.

“Nasty, JT,” Rachel smacked him hard on the head. “Everyone put their hands in and grab a piece of paper at the same time.”

Melissa was standing in the middle of the circle and smiled at them. “No one mess up and grab a handful..except for Joey.”

“I thought we were saving that for later, Bambina,” Joey told her, reaching his hand into the hat. He didn't care who he got really, just wanting to have fun with the whole thing.

The five guys looked at their piece of paper, and Justin was the first to speak. “Who the hell is Doody?”

“He's the skinny dark headed guy that goes with Frenchy,” Rachel told him, looking at Lance who was smiling. “Who did you get?” she asked, looking at his piece of paper. “Zucco...nice!”

“Damn it,” JC said, a smile on his lips. “Eh, it's fine. I'm Sonny.”

“That leaves Chris and Joey,” Melissa said, looking at Chris' paper first. “You got Putsie, so I guess that leaves Fatone to be Kenickie.”

“Cause a hickie from Kenickie is like a hallmark card,” Joey quoted, wiggling his eyebrows while the other guys groaned.

“You give her a real hickey, I'll give you fifty bucks,” Justin told him laughing.

“That's my sister, you perv,” Lance shoved Justin playfully as the guys all got into their 'T-Bird' jackets.

Rachel looked at her costume and then at Melissa's. “I guess I get to wear the skin tight pants,” she told her friend as they looked them over. “I heard Olivia Newton-John had to get hers sewn on.” Five pairs of eyes stared at Rachel and Melissa leaned over and shut Joey's mouth.

“I vote they both wear pants like that,” Justin said, getting a unanimous vote from the rest of the guys.

“Men are sexist pigs. You say one thing about tight pants or boobs and they start drooling. Well, except those who go the other way,” Melissa smiled at Lance. “Least we can count on my brother to not be a horn dog.”

“So since he's gay he gets to be the good guy?” Chris asked, raising an eyebrow.

“No, he's just exempt from being in trouble,” Rachel told them, slipping an arm around Lance.

“Gays 1, Straight guys 0. I win!” Lance told them, making them laugh. “Besides, if we let Joey be Zucco, we'd never see him the whole party.”

Joey shook his head as his eyes met Melissa's. They were probably right, but he'd never say that. “How bout we get to decorating? Pizza and beer on me,” he announced as they all got busy on moving furniture around and setting up things.

“This party is gonna be off the chain,” Justin said, a smile on his face.

“Epic,” Chris echoed, “One for the record books.”

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

Melissa watched Joey fix his hair, leaning against the bathroom counter. Somehow he'd combed it back like the movie and the red was all together at the back, the front twisted around. “You look hot, Fatoney,” she told him, looking him over. He had on a white wifebeater, jeans, a black belt and boots, the jacket laying on the bed.

“I do huh? You look sexy too, Mel-Rizzo,” he replied, tossing the hairspray over with all the other products that littered the bathroom counter. “All we gotta do now is wait for everyone to show up.” He gave her a smile, leaning in to kiss her softly. Joey thought she looked good as Rizzo, even with the black wig and the tighter clothes, the Pink Ladies Jacket on her.

The doorbell rang and they both went down to answer it. The house was decorated like a drive in move theater, with the kitchen being the concession stand. Drinks and finger foods already out. Joey's television was set up to play Grease and the room downstairs was set up for games cards, darts, other group activities. Even a karaoke machine and a couple of video game consoles. They were both looking forward to celebrating ringing in the new year with their friends and family.

"Let's see who's the first to the party," Joey said, opening the door to reveal Lance and Rachel. "Holy shit, Rach. How did you get those pants on?" he took a good thwack from both women, shrugging it off as he let them in, the girls comparing looks. "You'll be fightin' guys off with a stick, Lance," he hugged the other man who looked a lot like a blonde Danny Zucco.

"I know...but she does look hot," Lance said, appreciating the costume even if he wasn't physically attracted to Rachel that way. She was a beautiful girl and he smiled wide when she kissed his cheek. "I'm just waiting for her to take off those God awful shoes," he said, pointing to the heels.

"I told you I'd wear them for a couple of hours," Rachel told Lance. "We gotta get a few pics before everyone else gets here and we forget," she said, grinning when Melissa grabbed her camera. "I think we look good as Sandy and Rizzo." She'd spent part of the afternoon curling her hair and doing her make up where it looked like the end result of the movie. She snapped a self portrait of her and Melissa before snapping one of Joey and Lance.


“Alright, go stand by Lance,” Melissa waved her hands, shooing Rachel toward her brother. “Now smile and say cheesecake.”

Rachel rolled her eyes at Lance before taking her spot next to him. She stood to his side with her body facing his; one arm around his back. The other lay on his chest, the fingertips almost brushing the collar of the white t-shirt he wore beneath the black leather T-Bird jacket. She bent the knee closest to the camera, the inside of her thigh resting against the outside of his. She felt Lance’s arm go around her back, anchoring her closer to his side. She gave Mel her best wanton look.

“That,” Joey said, quickly clearing the look off his face before Melissa turned and saw it. “Was hot. You lucky bastard.”

“Hey! You’re pretty lucky too!” Melissa glared as she passed the camera off to Rachel and pulled Joey to move with her, so they could take a couple picture.

“Next year’s Christmas card, Babe,” Rachel said as she looked at the picture on the camera. “We look fantastic.”

“I don’t think anyone is going to notice that I was even in that picture,” Lance whistled. “Joey’s right. I am a lucky bastard.” He winked at Rachel as she changed the view of the camera ready to take a picture of ‘Kenickie’ and ‘Rizzo’.

“Pretty hard act to follow,” Melissa said as she racked her brain thinking of a pose they could do.

“Could go to the garage and climb into the backseat,” Joey offered, wiggling his eyebrows.

“You’re such a horn dog,” Melissa told him, but her mind immediately drew up that picture and she felt her face flush. She heard a quiet snicker and glared at Joey.

“Just do the end scene,” Rachel said when neither of them could think of a pose. “You know where she tells him she’s not pregnant and he tells her his ‘bona-fide’ offer of making her an honest woman.”

Melissa grinned and nodded her head. “Nice,” she moved closer to Joey. Her breasts were barely touching brushing against his chest while from the stomach down was flush.

“Get any closer and we’ll have to leave the room,” Lance called out.

“That’s later tonight,” Joey grinned as he placed the arm hidden from the camera around her, pressing against her back. The arm in view, he placed lightly on her waist. Mel mirrored his movements; the arm in view of the camera softly gripping his forearm, her thumb resting on the bend of his elbow.


“Now just look at each other like you always do,” Rachel called out as she raised the camera. “You know the one look that makes the rest of us want to puke… Yup! That’s the one. Don’t grin like a moron Mel! Smile softly like someone in love, like you’re sharing a secret that no one else knows.” She smiled when she saw the perfect look come across their faces and quickly snapped the picture, capturing the moment forever.


"Come here," Melissa pulled Rachel into the downstairs bathroom and blushed. "I know you don't wanna know, but," she opened up her shirt to reveal a hickey on her collar bone and rolled her eyes. "He insisted my 'hickey from Kenickie' be authentic. I just told him to make it where it was covered up."

"You two need serious help. Psychiatric help..." Rachel told her, leaving the bathroom. When she reached Joey she just shook her head. "I am so thankful Mel lives with you. If I had to know even part of your sex life, I think I'd be scarred."

"Hey! I didn't tell her to tell anyone about it," Joey defended himself, trying not to laugh. "Besides that, we had fun..."

"Stop talking, Joey," Melissa warned him, moving to where he could put his arms around her. They were always touching somehow. It wasn't always sexual or even had to be personal space, but Joey was a hands on person, at least with her, it seemed, and she relished it. "You look good, ," she told Lance, laughing when he grabbed a comb out of his pocket to comb his hair again.

The doorbell rang and Lance moved so Joey could answer it. "Holy hell boys," he exclaimed, moving so Justin, JC and Chris could come in. Justin came in first, his usually curly hair fixed much like his friends, a smile on his face. Then JC and Chris followed, all of them looking like thugs. Or as much as thugs as was possible for the characters they were playing.


“Lance you better keep her close,” JC warned as he pulled Rachel into a hug. “You look great.” He mentally patted himself on the back for being able to keep his voice even. He had nearly swallowed his tongue when he first saw her in the tight leather pants, molding to her body.

“Thanks,” she replied. She slipped her arms around him, snaking them beneath his jacket. She pressed the palms of her hands against his back, feeling the warm skin radiating through the thing white t-shirt. Cologne wafted up, surrounding her and she breathed it in. “You look good too,” she told him when she pulled back, feeling the loss already. And he did look good for wearing just jeans, a white t-shirt and black leather jacket. And she wondered what it was about that attracted her to him now, after knowing him for years. It was something she needed to figure out because she was liked it not that she’d admit that to anyone.

JC grinned at Rachel, accepting her compliment before turning toward Melissa who watched them both with a raised eyebrow. He ignored the look he was getting, not wanted to get into it. He wasn’t even sure what he would say. He wasn’t sure what was going on either. It was hard to explain something when you didn’t have it figured out yourself. “Rizzo,” he opened his arms. Allowing her to step into them. “You’re looking great. Very nice.”

“Eat your heart out,” Melissa said flippantly, before breaking character to smile at him and return his hug. She played with his jacket zipper which earned her a dirty look.

"Hands off, we want hugs too Chasez," Justin said, pushing Chris away. "Not from you Kirkpatrick," he told Chris, who laughed, hugging Rachel and then Melissa. "How many people were coming?" he asked her, surprised at the number, but it was some family and friends. They'd even invited their parents, who declined in favor of a less noisy setting of dinner and a movie out together.

“Okay, picture time.” Rachel made the guys all pose and took pictures, laughing at some of the things they said and did, most of it not fit for public knowledge. Then she and Melissa got in the pictures with the guys trading off. They even got a picture of the end scene with Rachel putting her heel in Lance's chest. And then one of Joey showing off Melissa's hickey.

“Oh dear god, that better not make it farther than back to me,” Melissa groaned and Joey laughed and tried to bite her neck. “You animal,” she cut her eyes to him.

“I love it when you talk dirty,” he mimicked the line from the movie, hearing the camera click as he pulled her face to his so they could kiss.

“Aww...you two make me sick. If we could bottle whatever it is you two had to sell at concerts, we'd be billionaires,” Justin said, shaking his head.

“You have enough women that want you, Justin. Don't think you need help.” Melissa kissed Joey and went over to him, giving him a look. She knew something was up with Justin. “If you ever want to talk-”

“Not here, Melly. Not now,” he told her, giving her a small smile. “We're here to have a good time. Later though, next week...” Justin hugged her and let her go, pushing his emotions down to where they stayed lately, just out of the range of being shown. He could fake it with the best of them. “You better have some good alcohol, Joe.”

“You gave me the list, man. I got it all and then some for the peeps that aren't drinking.”

“Did you just say peeps?” Rachel asked, raising an eyebrow at him. “Some days you just don't have game. But I'll overlook it today since you are throwing our New Years Party.”

The doorbell rang again and the group dispersed to make room. "Let's get this party started," Joey said loudly as he opened the door, Melissa by his side to greet their guests.
*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

"Go greased lightening, you're burning up the quarter mile," the group sang, doing the hand moves as the movie played. People were squeezed together on the couch and on chairs and in the floor sitting on pillows. Poodle skirts, tight pants and even a few ball gowns were on the girls while all of the guys were either T-Birds and a few came as the Rydell High football team. Janine and David had shown up as the principal and coach respectively, while Steven opted to come as Eugene.

“How's the food in the oven looking, Bambina?” Joey asked, putting more drinks on ice. They'd thought about having food delivered, but it was cheaper and easier to just do it themselves, except for the sandwich platters and cookie platters. He smiled at her, humming along to the song that was playing. After the movie was game time until it was time for the ball to drop.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

“You're gettin' beat by a girl!” Chris yelled at Justin, who was yelling at his character to whip ass. “You are losing to a girl as yourself!

“Shut the hell up dawg,” Justin said loudly, pressing the controller harder as Rachel taunted him.

“I am beating your ass with one of the Spice Girls. Come on!” Rachel told him, laughing as the girl hit Justin in the privates, dropping him to his knees. Celebrity Death Match was a big hit, along with the racing games and football. “You suck.”

“Next person that plays me, we're dismembering them,” he said, grumpy that he lost.

“Maybe you should have been JC,” Melissa suggested, cracking up when Justin gave her the finger. “Sorry, JT. I call dibs.” She picked up the controller and smiled at Rachel.


“Let's see...” she scrolled through players, smiling big. “Pamela Anderson.” she looked over Joey who was throwing darts. “Joey, I'm being your woman. Rachel's gonna be you...I'm losing on purpose.” Melissa smirked at his expression, hitting the start button.

“You have a sick mind, Bass,” Rachel told her, clicking on Joey in the game. The loser against NSYNC had their head ripped off by the member that was being played and the other four took off their appendages.

“It's funny as hell...don't say you don't chuckle.”

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

People were wandering from downstairs back up, getting food and drinks. Everyone had a nice buzz, but no one was falling down drunk or too stupid, even though it was starting to get late. The doorbell rang and Steven answered it, looking at the woman on the other side. “Can I help you?” he asked, watching her try and peer into the house, a taxi cab sitting there.

“Who's here?” Joey hollered at his brother, grabbing another beer and opening it, going to the door. He stopped short, seeing his ex-girlfriend standing there, a smile plastered on her face, dressed as virginal Sandy. “What are you doing here? No one invited you...I think we broke up. No, I know we did.”


Kristen wasn't phased at all, still smiling. “We did break up, but I did come to deliver a little piece of news to you. Can we talk?” she asked, not going to back down from him.

“I can’t imagine anything you have to say being worth listening to.” Joey shook his head when Steven asked if he needed to leave.


“Oh,” Kristen gave a laugh and it grated Joey’s nerves. He wondered what he ever saw in the woman before him. “This you are going to want to hear very much.”

“I don’t think so, but go ahead. The faster you say it, the sooner you can leave.” Joey relented. He knew enough about her to know that she wouldn’t leave until she got her way. It would be easier to have her just say her piece and then he could get her to leave.

“I mean by ourselves,” Kristen looked past Joey at the people standing near them. They were giving them fleeting glances, trying not to appear interested in what was going on, but Kristen knew better. She knew their ears were expertly tuned and hanging onto every word that said. She was counting on that. She knew the gossip in the music business. “Is there someplace we can go alone?”

“Not on your life, Kristen,” Joey said, folding his arms over his chest. He heard Melissa’s voice and swallowed hard, seeing her stop at the foot of the stairs. She stopped so abruptly that Rachel ran into the back of her.

“What the hell, Mel?” Rachel said as she steadied herself. When Melissa didn’t answer, but stood unmoving Rachel followed her line of sight and felt her anger grow. “Fuck…”


"Please tell me this is the Twilight zone," Melissa whispered, wondering what was going on. Kristen was looking too smug for it not to be something that was bad for her and her mind obviously went to the worst possible thing. Her eyes studied Kristen's body, and Joey's as he stood there glaring at his ex-girlfriend.

"Since you want this to be everyone's business, I guess I'll just say it. I'm pregnant with your baby," Kristen announced, smiling at Joey as if she expected him to be happy. She didn't miss the twitch in his eye and the audible gasps from others that were in the room.

Lance was standing between the downstairs and the kitchen, not seeing Rachel get past until he realized what she was doing and grabbed her, snagging an arm around her stomach. “Don't,” he directed, holding her back as she fought him, tightening his hold. “You'll make it worse.”

“She's full of shit! Coming prancing in and announcing she's pregnant,” Rachel yelled, pointing at Kristen. “Don't tell me to calm the fuck down. Your sister's not saying a word when she should be the one crying foul.” A glance back at her best friend made her pause. Melissa's head was buried into Chris' chest as he held her. She had no idea what Chris was saying, but for the moment it was pacifying her friend. “I should have known she'd try something,” she sighed, releasing the anger that hand been aroused at Kristen's words.

That snapped Joey out of his trance and he looked at JC and Justin, who were on either side of him and he looked at Kristen. “It's not mine. I don't believe you...We're done. You can hear from my lawyer,” Joey told her, fully intending to get Kristen out of his house.

“I thought you'd say that,” Kristen countered, grabbing papers out of her purse and handing them to Joey. “You forget I have lawyers in the family,” she told him, letting him read the letter that was written out. It was the doctor's findings and conception date and due date of the baby, along with measurements and other offical records that would be been private for Kristen only. “See? Don't you want to be a part of your baby's life?” Kristen placed a hand over the small mound of her belly. Her face remained impassive but she was cheering triumphantly on the inside as it started to sink in. When she was alone, she would to a little dance and laugh out loud as she remembered their faces.

Joey read the words, but none of it really sank in until about the fifth time he looked at the paper, words finally going in order. He was going to be a father. A child was going to depend on him for love and protection. He felt the room spin a little and he stood there a moment, wiping his eyes. “Oh fuck,” he gasped, shaking his head, his face buried in his hand covering his eyes.

“Sit down, Joe,” Steven said softly, steering his brother to a stool that was close. He was just as shocked as everyone else, seeing his brother's face pale. The only other sound that was heard came from behind him, a sniffling sound that was followed by whispers. He looked over to Janine and David, noting that everyone was quiet as the television counted down to the New Year. When the countdown got to zero, there were no celebratory kisses or shouts of Happy New Year.

Melissa wasn't sure what to think or do. She stood there, knowing she was probably drawing blood from Chris as she held onto his arm. It was the only thing holding her up and she couldn't even speak. She heard Chris talking, not sure of what he was saying. It didn't matter. She looked up momentarily when she heard Joey take a deep breath and say something, the raw emotion of it. She slipped from Chris' grasp to go put her hand on Joey's back. There were no words to tell him, not sure how she was supposed to feel.

Joey felt the touch he loved, shaking his head as he felt her hand on him. He felt like he should tell Melissa he was sorry, but he couldn't trust himself to speak.

“I'm sure the taxi's left by now,” Kristen broke the silence, not caring the dirty looks she was getting.

“We know how to call another,” Justin said, shooting her a look of loathing.

“Are you going to let them talk to me like that? I came all the way here to tell you I'm pregnant and you sit there...”

Joey's head snapped up and he stood up quickly. “They can talk to you however they want. You interrupted MY party and MY friends, so just shut up and take it. I'll call you a cab and you can go stay at a hotel for a couple days until I figure out what I want to do.”

Kristen's eyes narrowed at him, putting her hands on her hips, “Do? DO? I'm having your child and you want to put me into a hotel?” she exclaimed.

Joey's teeth ground and he fought hard to keep his temper in check. “Unless you'd like a plane ticket back to Pittsburgh on the next flight out, you'll go to a goddamn hotel,” he told her, running a hand over his face. “You don't own me, Kristen. You aren't just shacking up here.”

“And what is living together before you're married?” she shot a look at Joey and Melissa, “That's shacking up isn't it?”

Joey grabbed Melissa's arm as she bolted towards Kristen, pulling her to him hard. “Get out of my house.” His voice was deadly and he was glad Kristen did what he said, swallowing hard once the door shut. The woman in his arms was stiff and Joey had never hated himself more for anything than at that moment. He couldn't bring himself to look at her, instead staring at a spot on the wall just above the television. “Party's over,” he said, his voice not sounding quite right.

Everyone left except for Joey's family, Rachel, and the guys. They all sat in silence, the television playing New Year's celebrations in other time zones and other countries. It seemed a bit ironic that while other people were celebrating, they were all too stunned to speak.

Melissa stood there, letting Joey hold her. Every once in a while she took in a ragged breath, her hands bunching up Joey's shirt. Every time she thought about it, tears came and she couldn't quite believe what had happened.

Rachel was the first to say something clearing her throat and pressing her mouth into a thin line before she spoke, looking at Joey and Melissa. “I say we help clean up and then get out of here,” she suggested, pushing herself off the couch. She shook her head at Joey when he started to protest, “You have other things to take care of...” she looked between him and Melissa before turning to Lance, raising an eyebrow at him.

“Yeah,” Lance said, wiping his hands on his jeans before getting up. It wasn't that it was really messy, but it would keep them busy and let his sister and Joey start talking. He couldn't imagine what his sister was going through, hating seeing her in that much pain. He went to the kitchen and opened the fridge, starting to put the unopened bottles of beer on the bottom, listening to the others shuffle downstairs.

“We're going upstairs,” Joey told Lance, watching his best friend nod. The walk upstairs was much different than the one he'd imagined earlier. Clothes didn't litter the stair case. Melissa's body was against his, but instead of her hands on him, he was slowly taking the both of them to the bedroom. The silence killed Joey, stopping at the top of the stairs. “Bambina...” he croaked, pulling her chin up so he could see her face. Tear tracks ran down her face, as she bit her lip.

“What do you want me to say?” Melissa whispered, shaking her head. “Oh I want to hate you. I hate you...” she said, making her hands into fists and hitting Joey's chest. “I hate you for getting her pregnant. That you were with her!” her voice got louder as the pain came out. “God...Oh God..” Melissa sobbed into Joey's chest, hearing him sniffle and felt his chest rise and fall quickly. She felt something on her arm that was around his neck and sobbed harder. Joey was crying. That broke her heart even more.

“I'm sorry, Melly,” Joey told her as tears streamed down his face. He couldn't tell her how sorry, she'd never know. There weren't enough words, his soul hurt and he'd gladly face Hell if he thought it would change the situation.

*^*^*^*^*^*^

The group downstairs worked in silence, all of them no doubt thinking of the scene that had taken place.

“It's just fucking wrong,” Justin said, his voice hoarse. He shook his head and grabbed the games that were out to put them back into the console the television sat on.

“I still say she's a lying bitch,” Rachel bit off, tossing a cup into a trash bag.

“I don't think a doctor would make up something like that,” Janine replied, frowning as she wiped a stray tear. “This will be hard to swallow...” she started, then shook her head, not sure it was worth saying.

Lance came downstairs and leaned against the wall, his eyes closed as his head made a thud against it. He took a deep breath and opened his eyes to look at them. “I couldn't listen anymore,” he explained, swallowing hard, “I wasn't listening on purpose, they just...Joey just kept saying I'm sorry and she just sobbed louder and louder.”

Rachel dropped the trash bag she’d been carrying and walked over him. There was a lump in her throat as she imagined the scene in the bedroom. Her heart hurt for her friends. She slid her arms around Lance and leaned against him, her head ducking down to rest against his chest. His heartbeat sounded in her ear and she tightened her arms, offering what comfort she could.


“Fuckin' hell,” Chris muttered, pinching the bridge of his nose, a headache coming on. “Let's just get this done,” he said, tying one of the sacks up to be carried out. He didn't even want to think about what had happened. His two friends were heartbroken and there was nothing he could do about it. Chris hated feeling that way, not able to help.

It took them another half hour to finish, turning all the lights out but the lamp in the living room. Janine went upstairs and halfheartedly knocked on Joey's bedroom door. She heard the squeak of the bed and Joey's voice. She blinked back tears when he opened the door, looking like hell. “We're done. I just came to tell you we're gonna go,” she pulled her younger brother into a hug as his composure broke. “Oh, Joe...I'm sorry honey.”

“I didn't know..I swear to God, Janine,” Joey shook his head, turning his head when his bed moved, Melissa's head buried in the pillow. “I don't know why she's still with me right now. I thought she was going to get sick she was crying so hard,” he ran a hand through his hair. “I'll call you later. I have to tell Mom and Dad later,” he took a shaky breath. “Tell everyone thanks...” Joey's voice trailed off, letting his sister go. He turned back to the bed and looked at the woman he'd promised to love and cherish for the rest of his life. A million thoughts ran through his head as his eyes landed on her stuff. He couldn't ask her to stay with him as much as he wanted to. He knew how Kristen was, part of him rationalized that she possibly did it on purpose. Even with the thought of being a father, his heart broke again as he pulled Melissa back into his arms. She wasn't going to be the mother of his child. That tore him up as he laid there, his hands running over Melissa's back, knowing he wasn't going to sleep that night.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
Lance looked over at Rachel as they drove towards the house. JC was in the backseat and he'd intended to drop Josh off first, but right now he just wanted to sit by himself and gather his thoughts. “I'm going to the house and then you can run JC home...I just...I want a few minutes,” he told Rachel, squeezing her hand, hoping she understood.

Rachel nodded, running her thumb over his hand, giving it a return squeeze. “Just call me when you want me home,” she told Lance, leaning over and kissing him on the lips quickly at a stop light. “I'm sure I can find something to do to entertain myself.”

Lance nodded and pulled into the driveway of his house, leaving the car door open so Rachel could drive. He slapped JC's hand and then hugged his girlfriend. “I'll call you in a little while,” he told her, holding her for a moment before letting her go. He waved to JC before going into the house. He thanked God it was just him alone with his thoughts for now as he sat down on the couch, tears coming to his eyes.

JC moved into the passenger seat Rachel vacated when she moved to the driver’s side. The ride was quiet; each were lost in their own thoughts thinking about the events that had transpired earlier in the evening.

“You wanna come in?” JC asked when Rachel pulled into his drive. He didn’t like the thought of her being out alone, especially on New Year’s Eve. He glanced at her out of the corner of her eye. Especially still dressed like that. “I’m not tired yet, and I’m not sure I could even sleep if I was.”

Rachel glanced over at him and nodded, giving him a small smile. “If I'd have been thinking, I would have grabbed some other clothes,” she looked down at her outfit and sighed. “What a damn thing to do. Hear someone's having a party and show up uninvited like that. Fucking bitch… It fucking sucks. I can't even imagine what Joey and Melissa are thinking since I'm not even sure what to think.”

JC nodded, lost in his own thoughts for a moment. He felt awful for his friends. Another part of him hoped and prayed that the whole thing wouldn't mess up the group as a whole that Joey could pull it together before the tour. It was the business side of him, his job as unofficial 'leader' to think of that, to keep it separate. His eyes met Rachel's and he hated seeing the pain in her eyes. “You know Joey and Mel,” he told her as they got out, digging out his keys, “they'll talk it out and figure out what they wanna do.” He got the door open and gestured to Rachel. “After you,” he smiled, watching her walk into his house, catching a hint of her perfume that still lingered as she passed.

Rachel had been in JC's house a few times and was amazed that it was always so clean. “You better be glad I'm not your girlfriend,” she joked, sitting down on the couch. “Cause I can't live in a house that looks like it's not been touched.”

JC’s brain stumbled on the girlfriend comment and he found himself imagining what it would be like. How it would feel to be coming home like this with Rachel here with him every night. But he brushed it off. She was taken. Even if their relationship wasn’t real, there was a reason behind it. So he laughed as he went into the kitchen. “You've not seen my bedroom or the studio downstairs. You want something?” he asked, grabbing a couple waters and bringing her one. He'd shrugged off his T-Birds jacket, leaving it on the back of his recliner.
They sat there in amicable silence for a few moments. It didn't seem awkward and both people enjoyed the fact that the other person didn't feel like they had to talk. “Wanna go downstairs? I got something I need an opinion on.”

“That line work on all the ladies?” Rachel laughed as she stood up, excited about seeing more of his house, happy that he was sharing this with her. She knew he and Justin wrote a lot of the songs on the Celebrity album, and knew he was talented in his own right. She paused at the pictures on the staircase, the gold albums and pictures with them showing NSYNC's success as a group. Obviously something he was proud of. Rachel's grin grew as she stepped into the downstairs, seeing the homey feel the upstairs had been lacking. “This is much better,” she told him, studying the pictures of his family and of the guys.

JC sat down at the baby grand piano and patted at the empty spot beside him on the bench. He picked at a few notes, playing part of 'Selfish' on the piano. “Okay, this is what I've been working on,” JC told Rachel, singing the first verse of the song, he played a little more music as he looked at her.

Rachel listened, a small smile on her face. “It's good, Josh,” she laughed when he started playing and singing different words to “For The Girl Who Has Everything.” They started talking about music and other things, the conversation flowing easily. “So why is it you don't have a girlfriend?” she asked him after a while.

JC looked down at the piano, his fingers on the keys but not hitting them to make a sound. He felt like he could be honest with Rachel. “Most women want me to be the guy they see on stage. The one in front of the cameras. I love being on stage, performing. I love writing...but I'm shy,” he chuckled at her raised eyebrow. “I know, right? I like my privacy in my life away from all the craziness. I want someone who doesn't have to have the spotlight. We both know Mel could care less about it, but she and Joey are like Forrest and Jenny. She's too,” JC searched for the word, shaking his head when he couldn't come up with it.

“You two would drive each other nuts,” Rachel told him, knowing he didn't want to date her best friend, he was just throwing that out there. “I hate the spotlight.”

“You did pretty good with it on Christmas,” JC grinned as he recalled her and Melissa dancing to ‘Bye Bye Bye’ in the middle of the bowling alley.

“God,” Rachel groaned. “I was nervous as hell. I could have killed Justin for pulling that stunt. And the rest of you for being in on it. It’s much different with just me and Mel. Of course we’re usually laughing our asses off when we do it and belt out the off key lyrics, the occasional wrong word and sometimes the wrong verse.”

“Now that I’d love to hear,” JC relaxed into the conversation, enjoying the one on one time he was getting with her. It was a rare occasion, someone was always with them.

Rachel gasped in horror, “No way!”

JC laughed, “I’m sure it’s not that bad.”

“Says the singer,” Rachel rolled her eyes. “It’s worse, much worse.” The conversation lulled for a minute before she spoke again. “It’s easier being here in Orlando than it is in New York, you know? Up there I’m supposed to be part of the Weatherly’s; act a certain way. Dress a certain way, even talk a certain way. Down here…I’m just Rachel.”

JC felt the connection between them grow at her words. He knew exactly how she felt. On stage he was the ball of energy, everyone knew that. They all expected it. He was crazy, busting out their dances with precision movements; running from one end of the stage to the other. Sometimes his true self came out during interviews where he allowed himself to sit quietly, mold into the background and let the others take the lead.

“Well I like just Rachel.” He caught her eye and smiled, the eye contact strengthening their connection.

Rachel broke the contact first, her eyes sliding down to the keys as she tried to pull herself together. Being alone with JC, she felt herself sinking deeper and deeper. She didn’t want the time to grow awkward so she raised her hands, resting them on the gleaming white keys and met his eyes again. “Teach me something.”

JC smiled softly and brought his hands back to the piano. He thought for a moment before his fingers moved beautifully over the keys in a complicated manner that had Rachel glaring at him.

“Easy, you jerk,” She slapped the hand closest to her causing the wrong chord to be played and they both grimaced. “And I’m talking ‘Mary Had A Little Lamb’ easy.”

“Alright,” JC laughed and took her hands placing them on the keys he wanted.

Rachel’s pulse jumped at the touch, but she kept her breath steady as she allowed him to manipulate her fingers.

“Pressing these down at once,” he tapped the fingers he was talking about, smiling when she did just that. “Gives a C chord.”

He went on to show her a couple more chords and two of the major scales. He tested her when he took her hands off the keys and told her to play a chord he had just taught her. But he grinned with pride, when after a few seconds she played them both correctly.
“Now,” he brought his hands back to the keys.

Rachel laughed when he stared playing ‘Mary Had A Little Lamb’. She hadn’t wanted to learn the song, just threw it out there as an example of easy. But she watched and listened intently as JC played and showed her the proper keys to hit.

“I don’t think this song has ever been butchered so much,” Rachel said, laughing ten minutes later as she had another unsuccessful attempt at the nursery rhyme.

“Pretty positive it has. It’s probably the first song everyone learns how to play.”
“That pep talk sucked,” Rachel allowed him to take her hand again curling her fingers toward her palm, leaving just her pointer finger free. Acting as a puppeteer, he moved her finger, pressing down on the proper keys as the song rang out without error. “Alright!”

“Learn that and I’ll teach you the next verse.” JC winked at her.

“It’s the same keys,” she swayed her body to the side, nudging JC’s. She looked at the clock and saw that it was almost three thirty. “Damn. We missed everything fun. Happy New Year, JC,” she told him with a soft smile.

“Happy New Year, Rachel,” JC smiled, pulling her in for a hug. “I think it's a custom to give the other person a kiss. Only in celebration sake of course,” he told her. JC thought if he could just kiss her once, that it would be the end of his feelings that were growing. That this thing between them was just attraction, nothing deeper. He couldn't like her that way.

Rachel stared at JC, contemplating what he was saying. Her heart was beating fast and she nodded mutely, not trusting herself to speak. She knew she should tell him no. Lance was counting on her to be his cover, something that she was doing willingly; at the same time she wanted to see what it was like to kiss JC. “Alright,” she finally said, giving him an encouraging smile. Rachel watched him as he turned to face her, one of his hands coming up to caress the side of her face before his lips touched hers. His lips were soft and warm and she let out a small sigh.

JC had only meant to give her a chaste kiss, but the sigh made him want more. His other hand cupped her cheek cradling her face between his hands as he deepened the kiss, feeling her hands come to rest on his chest. He looked at her after he broke off the kiss, shaking his head. “Sorry,” he told her quietly, not sure what he was apologizing for. He studied her face. This kiss did nothing to quell is feelings for her. If anything they solidified them, making them call out stronger, louder. He wanted nothing more than to pull her into his arms and kiss her again. But he squelched the feeling, reminding himself that she was taken. “but it does make up for the shitty way the year started.”

“No…” Rachel replied, feeling her heart flip flop. She wanted to reach back out to him. She clenched her fingers in her lap to stop herself. “Girls are missing out...” she could stuff her emotions down for now, letting it be friendship between them. She had no idea how JC even felt about her and wasn't about to start spinning fairy tales about him in her head. That only lead to trouble and she was staying away from that, giving him a grin.

Rachel checked her phone and saw that Lance had sent her a message. She replied quickly, hating that she had to leave but wanted to talk to Lance. “What are you going to do the rest of the night?” she asked JC, watching him grab a pencil and scribble words on a piece of paper.

He held up a finger, writing for a few more moments before grinning wide. “When inspiration hits, you work,” he told Rachel. “Wanna see the rest of the house before you go? The housekeeper came over yesterday, so I don't think it's too bad. If it is, don't tell.” He got up and opened the door to his recording studio, flipping on a light. It wasn't dirty, but JC had notes on things, parts of songs on sheet music and he grinned like a little kid. “It sounds stupid, but I love being down here. I can just sit and think...” he watched Rachel look around, he frowned a little. “Can I ask you a question?” He spoke suddenly, wanting her opinion.

“Sure, JC. What's on your mind?” Rachel looked him up and down, finding it hard to not stare. She kiss rang out in the foreground again and if she closed her eyes she could feel his lips against hers again. Even though she told herself not two minutes ago she wasn’t going to start spinning fairy tales she was doing just that. She thought Lance was handsome, but she was quickly coming to appreciate how JC looked. It wouldn't hurt to think he was good looking, there were lots of men that she looked at and admired. Of course none of them were one of Lance's bandmates.

“Do you think I'm too serious?” he asked, looking intensely at her, wanting an honest answer. It sounded stupid to ask. He just wanted to know partly because he was interested in what Rachel had to say.

Rachel gave him a warm smile, walking to over to him so she could look directly into his eyes. “You are the most perfectly serious guy I've ever known. You have a worth ethic that won't quit. You're focused and driven and you do know how to have fun. I've seen it,” she reassured him, letting her mind wander a moment. “Or is that not what you wanted to hear?”

“Keep talking like that and I'm going to have you call me when I need a pep talk,” JC replied, leading her back up the stairs and then upstairs to the bedrooms.

“Anytime...unless I'm sleeping,” Rachel said. “Or even if I’m sleeping. Just don’t expect a coherent answer.”

His house was much like Lance's and Rachel found herself wanting to sit in JC's writing spot, a comfy chair in the corner of the landing when they got upstairs next to the bookshelf and the small table on the other side with the lamp, curled up with a good book, loving the plush carpet and dark wood that accented the home. “You have a beautiful home,” she told him, smiling.

“Eh, it's just where I lay my head,” he replied giving her a shit eating grin, leading her to the door, his hand on the small of her back. “Be careful driving home, Rachel. Let me know you made it. Other people are stupid this time of year.” JC heard a car drive by, the music thumping before he let her go. “Bye Rachel. I'm glad you came over.”

Rachel hugged JC, nodding. “Thanks for letting me visit. I'll text you when I get across the neighborhood.” She waited until she was out of his drive


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: joey