Author's Chapter Notes:
Part 1 of this chapter. Real life has been a real bugger lately. Between school, work and everything else, I have been crazy. Enjoy this chapter. Got another couple waiting for you!
“To your left, you'll see Super K-Mart and various other stores crammed into this shopping center with the mall,” Rachel pointed out in her best tour guide voice as they got into the turn lane to turn into said shopping mecca. The California sun shone on the girls, the same sun that was on Florida albeit it felt different.

“I still can't believe you picked this loser rental car. We could be in an Escalade,” Melissa said as Rachel slowly went through the parking lot to find a space.

“We could have, but we would have been driving it to the gas station every few blocks or so.” Rachel found a spot and pulled in. “Where to first?” she asked, scanning names of the stores and then the mall entrance.

“The ATM. Then I guess we can hit Bed Bath and Beyond and then K-Mart,” Melissa made a face and looked over at Rachel. “This ain't Kansas anymore...or Florida,” she told her friend, forcing herself to smile. It was her choice to be out here, so far from her family and friends. She'd spent the days leading up to the flight they'd taken this morning flip flopping on if she really wanted to move. The sticking point was that Joey was married and had a new life now. She'd prayed the whole way there that it wouldn't hurt so bad leaving. “Thanks for coming out here with me,” she told Rachel as they got out of the car.

“Had to clear my busy schedule and all,” Rachel replied, bumping Melissa's shoulder affectionately. “Seriously, Mel. I'm glad to be here. Who wants to be starting a tour anyway? The first week or two is always a pain in the ass.” Rachel had been around the guys enough to know that she'd be spending that time alone. The promoting and different public outings were heavier in the first two weeks than the rest of the tour. And she didn't relish the thought of possibly being stuck on the bus with Joey's wife.

Melissa found the ATM kiosk and grabbed her ATM card. Rachel was standing with her back to it, but blocking other people from seeing the numbers. “Let's see,” Melissa punched in the pin number and raised an eyebrow. “That's odd,” she muttered, hitting the arrow to look at her deposits. “That man....”

“What man?” Rachel said, turning her head enough to see her friend. “Got a sugar daddy I don't know about?”

“At least he didn't make the memo for 'sexual favors',” Melissa told her, shaking her head, withdrawing money. “Text Joey and tell him thanks. I'm trying to kick the habit...” she waited for the money to come out. “Seriously, he put in five hundred bucks. He's buying lunch.”

Rachel pulled out her phone and sent off a text to Joey, smiling when her phone beeped a minute later and laughing hard after she read his response.

'Getting rid of mafia money and gigolo funds. Have fun! ;)'

Melissa looked over Rachel's shoulder and laughed. “Tell him we're spending it on male strippers and Victoria's Secret.”

Rachel barked a laugh and fired off the text, getting one back quickly.

'Yes to Vickie's. No to strippers. I thought you were nice girls.'

Melissa's phone buzzed and she looked at it. Her brother had sent her a message. 'Fatone's looking concerned. What are you doing?'

'What we do best, big brother. Love you. Have fun today!' Melissa stuck her tongue out at her phone and sent the message.

'Sending pictures of the strippers..not at Vickie's' Rachel fired back with a heart symbol. She smirked when she didn't get a reply back, other than one from Lance.

'We lose our baritone, I blame you and my sister. I miss you!'

'Miss and love you too, Lance. Call you later after we've bought out the mall with Joey's whoring money. I don't know who paid him for sex, but they should get a refund for him being a screamer. No sneaking in the closet.'

Rachel's hand clamped over her mouth and she felt tears sting the corners of her eyes as she laughed hard. She'd accidentally sent the text to Joey too. “Oh. Shit.” She laughed when Joey messaged her back.

'How would you know? ;) And for that matter, it was Mel's money to begin with...so there.'

“Oh he didn't!!” Melissa yelled, laughing as they moved away from the middle of the sidewalk and started walking towards the first store. She couldn't let the text go unanswered and fired off one of her own to Joey.

'Worth every penny. Smartass...'

'I try. Have fun. No escort services and stay away from Compton.'

Melissa rolled her eyes and put her phone up. It was like Joey was being two different people. One minute he was the Joey she knew, and the next he was more serious..acting like her father instead of the man she'd loved..still loved.

Rachel's fingers flew over her phone and she smiled when a text popped up from JC. Her smile grew bigger as she read it and sent the reply back. It was just a normal message, one that said he hoped she was having fun. He was over there trying to keep order to the three ring circus that was going on.

'Good luck with that C. Go borrow some straight jackets and some good drugs. Might work then. Gotta shop!'

“You done over there, Social Queen?” Melissa asked with a smile, her own phone vibrating.

“Bite my ass. I bet you have texts from Justin.”“Uh...” Melissa looked at her phone and rolled her eyes seeing Justin's name pop up. “Fine. Let's tell them we're unavailable or we'll never get into the first store.”

“Deal,” Rachel said, sending x's and o's to Lance and telling JC she would text him to see if he survived later. Slipping her phone down into her purse, she grabbed Melissa by her shirt sleeve and pulled her into the massive home goods store. “Grab a cart woman.”

“I'm not buying anything by Martha Stewart. She's the devil.” Melissa grabbed a cart and followed Rachel.

“How do you know? She does some cool stuff,” Rachel said, going back to the bathroom stuff.

“She went to jail and her stuff is over priced. I dislike her like you do Will Ferrel. So there.”

Rachel rolled her eyes and stopped at the color coordinated towels and décor. “See anything you like?”

“I have towels, Rach. I don't need more towels,” Melissa started, then sighed. “Fine..I like the black ones. Black and white is a good bathroom theme.”

Nodding, Rachel grabbed a black bathroom rug and a couple big towels and then some white smaller ones. “Now for a pop of color,” she said, grabbing a red soap dish and toothbrush holder. “See?”

“Dirty Pop, bet you can't stop.”

“Only you, Bass. Only you,” Rachel muttered, shaking her head. There was a smile on her face though as they walked through the store, laughing at displays and cutting up before heading to the check out. “Oh Lord,” Rachel said, rolling her eyes at the magazine rack located at the front. Most were the usual home decorating ones, but there was one People magazine in the stands. And it was a cover of Joey and Kristen's wedding.

“I didn't even bother,” Melissa told her, seeing what she was looking at. “Although they did get a good picture of you and Lance,” she told Rachel, giving her a small smile. “I looked online at a couple.”

“Then I guess you didn't see this,” Rachel grabbed the magazine and flipped until she found what she wanted. She and Lance had kept quiet about what was in there, knowing how Melissa was feeling about everything. Now that they were out in California, Rachel felt like it wouldn't be as big of a deal.

“Oh..wow,” Melissa said, holding the magazine and her mouth slightly open, staring. Whoever had taken the picture had caught her and Joey making eye contact. It was taken where the camera was focused on Rachel and Joey and Joey had looked in her direction and you could see Melissa with Justin with her looking at him. “I bet Kristen was pissed.”

“This picture only made it into a few issues before Joey called to have it yanked. Not before he made his mom go get a copy or five..”

“This would make a good picture to go in the on the wall with all of my other black and whites,” Melissa said, tossing the magazine in there. She wouldn't read the article or look at any other pictures.

“And you were worried about having art work in your new place. What do you need me for?” Rachel asked, slipping her arm around Melissa and giving her a sideways hug.

“Well someone has to help carry body bags,” she quipped, making the cashier look nervous.

“What are you gonna kill them with? Your cooking?”

“Very funny,” Melissa cut her eyes at Rachel and handed over her money. “When we get to the parking lot, I'm gonna shank your ass with my plastic Wendy's knife. Cause that's how I roll.”

“Please. I'd shank your ass with a spork.”

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

K-Mart proved to be more successful than the previous store, cleaning supplies and odds and ends were bought. Curtains, shelves that stand on the kitchen counter and more bathroom stuff to go in the half bath on the bottom floor. Along with a blow up queen size mattress and a sheet set.

“Look!” Melissa smiled wide at the towels hanging on the clearance rack. They were now only a few dollars, having a Christmas theme, but had NSYNC on them, a picture of the guys. “Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays,” she sang, grabbing two of them. “There..we can be twins.”

“No more driving the cart,” Rachel told her friend, stopping when she spotted Backstreet Boys t-shirts and NSYNC t-shirts hanging in the same vicinity in the petites section. “I think we need to wander that way.”

A smile crossed Melissa's face as they went to the shirts and grabbed a couple of both groups. “You know we need pictures. What we spent money on,” Melissa snapped a picture of Rachel pretending to kiss Brian Littrell's picture on the shirt. “Nice.”

“You didn't,” Rachel's eyes narrowed and she saw her friend smirk. “You're dead, Bass.”

“Oh hush,” Melissa picked up the NSYNC shirt and smiled, pretending to kiss Chris's face.

“That's even better,” Rachel said, snapping her own picture. “Now we have blackmail.”

“Poor Christopher...He needs a woman.” Melissa tossed the shirt into the basket.

“He has his mother,” Rachel told her, snickering. “I'm kidding, Mel. Sheesh...I thought Chris was still hung up on that one girl.”

“Chris is hung up on lots of girls. They're just the wrong sort...He needs a nice girl. And not Lucy,” she told Rachel before she could open her mouth. They walked along in silence for a few minutes before Melissa spoke again. “I kissed Chris on Joey's wedding night. At least I think I did.”

“It doesn't count if you don't remember,” Rachel told her, not mentioning her own kiss to JC. She wasn't quite ready for that to be aired. “How about we worry about you for now? And about some mall shopping.”

“You said the magic words,” Melissa cheered as they made their way to check out. “Who decided we needed all this stuff?” She looked down in the basket.

“Don't even take that out,” Rachel snatched a picture away that said 'Martha Stewart' on the label.

“If I buy that and take it into my house, little people from New Zealand are going to come shrink my head and put it on a stick. I read it once in a National Geographic.”

Rachel laughed as the item was rung up. “I find it hard to believe you read anything in National Geographic.”

“Says the woman who reads smutty romance novels.”

“Touche,” Rachel replied, gathering up some of the plastic bags. She made her way back to the rental and then checked her phone, smiling at the text from Lance.

'Shop til you drop yet? Sucks here without you.'

'Not yet. Miss you too. Give Chris a knock upside the head for me.' Rachel sent off the text and grinned when she got a picture of Chris grimacing.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

The girls shopped around the mall, hitting their favorite stores before making their way to where a couple of restaurants were situated. They'd stopped in the food court long enough to get a drink on their trek from Aeropostale to Cato's.

Rachel and Melissa had talked and laughed and giggled the whole way through their drink order. Now they were semi quiet, their food being sat down in front of them.

“Look,” Melissa pointed at something behind Rachel, making her friend turn around and look before stealing a couple fries off of Rachel's plate.

“What were you lookin- Hey!” Rachel looked down at her plate where she'd piled her ketchup beside her fries and saw it was now used. “You took my fries, bitch.” There was no bite behind the name, watching Melissa look innocently at her. “You might get away with that when you're with Joey, but I'll hurt you over my fries.”

“Whatever,” Melissa told her, grabbing her own fry and popping it in her mouth. “You ever seen Joey share his fries?” She chuckled at Rachel's shake of her head. “Me either. Why haven't we come here before?”

Rachel looked around at The Rainforest Cafe. The place looked like the jungle, complete with sounds of wild birds and animals, a waterfall and small stream running through it. It was a very cool esthetic and the food was good. “I dunno. I mean, usually we're busy and can you see the guys getting stuck in the mall?” She mentally shuddered at what would happen when fans realized that one of the most popular boy bands was inside a place. The amount of people that could be there would be a logistical nightmare.

“Good point,” Melissa said, taking a bite of her cheeseburger. She always liked going to places that were different, and even though this one was in the mall it was still not a place she'd been to. “We need to order dessert,” she told Rachel after she swallowed, pointing out the dessert menu.

“You haven't even finished your food.”

“Yes, mother,” Melissa rolled her eyes at her friend and then stuck her tongue out when Rachel's phone rang. “Tell my brother to go away.”

“Hush,” Rachel admonished, opening her phone to answer it. “Hi. How's the bus?”

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

Lance looked at Chris who was watching television and shrugged. “It's the bus. I feel for Justin. He's the odd man out on the other bus with Joey and Kristen. It's just so happy over there,” he said sarcastically, groaning. “Joey called..Hold on. I'll let Chris tell you since he called him.”

“When are you gonna dump this guy and be with me?” Chris teased Rachel after he took the phone and said hello. “JC's doing what he does best..Sleeping his life away. Probably dreaming of tonight's performance and writing songs.”

Rachel couldn't help but smile. She'd gotten a text from JC that he was going to try and sleep. She flipped her friend off across the table when she rolled her eyes at her grin. “So, tell me this story.”

“ Joe calls me and asks if anyone took his food that he requested for the bus. I come look in this fridge. All his stuff's here, so I tell him that. Dude tells me he'll pay me a hundred bucks if I sneak him a Coke and a Hostess cake. Kristen took all the food that was junk and tossed it. Told him and Justin that they could eat shit when she left, but she wasn't going to sit and watch Joey stuff his face.”

Rachel blinked a few times and processed the information. “I bet that went over well.”

“Like a lead balloon. Justin just went to his bunk from what I heard. And Joey just took it. He texted and told me we were finding an all you can eat buffet after the show tonight.”

“Damn. I'll be there in a couple weeks. If you all survive that long,” Rachel told him, trying to smile. “I think Mel ordered a big dessert we're sharing.”

“I'm jealous,” Chris told her, talking a few more minutes before handing the phone back over to Lance.

“So yeah, we are just living the dream here. Public things and touring and all this great wonderful stuff. Sucks ass,” Lance told her. “I love the music. Love the fans and the songs..but all the drama.”

“These are the days of our lives,” Chris said loudly, making Rachel laugh.

“You need help. Tell the rest of the guys hi. Our dessert's here. It looks almost as hot as you do,” she flirted with Lance and giggled when Melissa groaned and covered her ears. “I love you. And I embarrassed the hell out of Mel.”

“Good job. Love you too,” Lance chuckled, hanging up the phone. He looked over at Chris and sighed. “All I can say is the Fatone's have their own hotel room. On a different floor,” Lance fist bumped Chris.

“No shit.” Chris felt a little bad for not wanting Joey to be right with them, but Kristen was just too much for him to handle. He didn't want to be mean, but he had the feeling this tour was going to be vastly different than the one they'd done last year. He missed Melissa being there, seeing his friends all happy and smiling. “You think your sister will be okay in California?” he asked Lance.

“She'll be alright until Rachel leaves. Then after that...” his voice trailed off. Lance was trying not to be scared for his sister. He knew she wasn't a kid, but he also knew she'd never lived by herself either. Even if she'd moved out of his house and stayed somewhere close to Orlando, they were all there. He felt himself give Chris a look. “I made her have one of those security alarms installed before she even paid the moving company.”

“Mel will be fine. L.A is a cool place to live. Besides, her and Rachel will be attached at the hip with the phone. You worry too much,” Chris said, pushing himself off the couch. “I'm gonna take JC's advice and try and get some sleep. TV's yours.”

Lance nodded, stretching out on the couch, remote in hand. He smiled at the picture Rachel sent him, one of her and Melissa both about to take huge bites of a brownie with ice cream, big grins on their faces. He sent off a reply and shut his phone, throwing the remote on the floor and closing his eyes. He took a moment to pray that everything would work out for the best. He let that thought drift off as he kept his eyes closed, willing himself to relax. A nap sounded like the perfect thing to wile away the next few hours on the tour bus.

*^^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“It looks good,” Melissa told Rachel, surveying her bathroom upstairs. They'd hung the black towels and a white hand towel up, along with a couple of red wash cloths and red accessories. A long black bathroom rug was on the floor and the shower curtain was a bright red as well. “You had a good idea.” She threw an arm around Rachel, leaning on her.

“I know I did. Now let's get some dinner going. We didn't go buy all those groceries to eat out again,” Rachel said, standing there a few more minutes. She studied her and Melissa's reflection in the mirror and smiled. “You've come a long way, baby.”

“Oh shut up,” Melissa said, laughing. “I'll make you sleep on the floor.”

“Like hell. That blow up bed is big enough for the both of us. You have your own cover and everything,” Rachel pointed out as they made their way downstairs. There was still bags to go through, but the girls both agreed they wanted the bathroom fixed up so they could take a bath or shower and have one less thing to worry about.

The girls put up groceries and then looked at their options. “Okay so Olive Garden sounds good,” Rachel said, grabbing Melissa's shirt before she could protest. “I need a glass of wine and you don't have any. That made my decision for me,” she looked sideways at Melissa. “And I'd hate for the smoke alarm to go off your first day.”

“Kiss my ass,” Melissa said, grabbing her purse and keys. “I'm so taking those cooking lessons Justin got me. Then the next time you come, I'm cooking you food.”

Rachel reached over and patted her knee. “Keep the dream alive, Melly.”

Melissa snorted and shook her head as they got in the car. “Between you and Chris, I'm surprised I'm not in jail. Smartass,” she told her friend, turning the radio up when “I Want It That Way” came on, both of them singing along. “This would so not happen on the tour bus,” she said loudly.

“Not likely,” Rachel replied, turning the radio back down after the song. “Think you can do this? I mean, when I'm not chauffeuring you.” The traffic wasn't bumper to bumper, but it was heavy. “I'm making you drive after your car gets here. We'll wait and get things set up in your place and then that night you're gonna drive. I'm not leaving you in Los Angeles afraid to drive.” Rachel didn't hear an answer and looked over at her friend. “You'll be fine, Mel. You can drive in this...”

“I don't live anywhere near Compton do I?” she asked out of nowhere, watching Rachel shake her head. Melissa nodded, knowing Rachel probably thought she was crazy. At least if she didn't live near there, there was less possibilities of her getting lost. That was her biggest fear more than driving. “You know if you drink wine, I'll have to drive right,” she pointed out to Rachel.

“I was just telling you that to get you out of the house,” Rachel replied, smiling.

“I don't even want to know what you say to my brother to get him out of the house. I don't want to hear it either.”

Rachel laughed. “I'm not always perverted when I think,” she caught Melissa's stare and chuckled. “Okay I lie. Most of the time I am.” Rachel pulled into Olive Garden and parked. “Let's go eat. Then we can discuss where we want all your crap to go in your place.”

“Thanks for the encouragement, Kemosabe.” Melissa felt her phone vibrate and smiled at the message from Justin, messaging him back before slipping her phone in her purse.

“Anytime, Tonto. Anytime.”
*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
“Well, your dad was right Mel. You definitely needed a couch and chair. And the small kitchen table.” Rachel studied the items being brought in by the movers and was glad Jim Bass had talked his daughter into letting him and her mother buy her some furniture. The apartment was starting to fill up with boxes and the movers had told the girls they would help set up the television and even put together the bed frame. She raised an eyebrow at the weathered leather ottoman that was carried in and put down by the couch. “Where did that come from?”

Melissa had been in the kitchen and stuck her head around the corner. She looked at the item and then at Rachel. “No idea,” she told her, coming to inspect it.

“There was a note with that,” one of the men handed Melissa a note before going out to grab something else.

Melissa unfolded the note and read.

'A familiar place to rest your feet. Enjoy! Love, Joe Sr. and Phyllis P.S. The top opens up for storage.'

“I guess it came from the Fatone's,” Melissa looked at Rachel and smiled. “This was in the den. I think it got moved to Steve's place a couple years ago. Before that, Joey and I used to fight over it. It's
comfortable to sit on. They asked what I wanted for Christmas one year and I told them this.” Melissa sat down on one side of the ottoman and patted the other. “Sit with me.”

Rachel sat down and could tell why there was a fight over it. It was worn enough to be very comfortable. “Forget the bed, I'm sleeping sitting up.”

“Whatever. Get up so we can look inside it.”

“They wouldn't leave anything in there, Mel,” Rachel told her, but got up anyway. She grinned when Melissa lifted the top and looked inside. “See?” It was empty, but she'd secretly hoped something would be in there. “What were you expecting? Millions of dollars?”

“Jimmy Hoffa,” Melissa told her, smirking.

“Come on, let's get this done. We have a hot date tonight,” Rachel said, ready to get the clutter and boxes out of the way. “Let's start in the kitchen.”

“Geez, you're bossy. It's almost like living with my brother.” Melissa put the ottoman back together and pushed it against the couch. She followed Rachel to the kitchen, glad for some help. They made their way from the kitchen to the living room after the movers left, having a method of emptying a box and putting things up in it before grabbing another.

“This box has...pictures,” Melissa said, opening it up. She grabbed a sleeve and opened it, pulling out a few. “New Year's,” a small smile came to her face as she studied her and Joey as Rizzo and Kenickie. It had been a wonderful night until Kristen had shown up. She took a shaky breath and moved on through the other pictures. “You and my brother look hot.” She held the picture up to Rachel who was standing right behind her looking over her shoulder.

“Yeah, we do, huh?” Rachel grinned wider at the picture of her and JC. “I didn't know you got that picture.”

“I didn't know you'd look at another man like that,” Melissa told her, chuckling when Rachel blushed a bright red. “Oh good grief. Let's get this done. I still want to unpack stuff in my room.”

“Tell you what,” Rachel took the box with the pictures. “You go upstairs and deal with all your clothes and stuff. I will stay down here and unpack and arrange your pictures. They'll all look spectacular.”

Melissa nodded. “Let's give it an hour and then get ready to go out,” she suggested, watching Rachel dig out pictures.

“Works for me. We got most of it done anyways. Dishes and kitchen stuff put up and the bathrooms ready to use, the bed made and tv set up. Now it's just the little stuff. And I'm not getting into your underwear drawer.”

Melissa laughed and shook her head. “Not like we don't know about that shit...but yeah. It won't take me too long to get all that stuff done. And don't put any pictures of me and Joey up. I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet.”

“Just one or two. I promise,” Rachel said, knowing which ones she was getting out and smiled when her friend relented. They'd bought some shelves to go on the walls to display pictures and put them up. She eyed the photo albums and grinned big. It was fun to decorate for other people, as she went and grabbed the bags from K-Mart and a couple of the mall stores for photo frames. She started arranging pictures on the couch and sat on the ottoman, picking out what would go good together as a group of photos or one to set alone. One caught her eye and she paused. Rachel had never seen it before and figured it was from the Fatone house from a while back. Someone had stood over Joey and Melissa and took a picture as they slept, curled up on the couch. She could see dark circles under Joey's eyes as well as her friends. 'After last day of U.S. Tour for NSYNC album. Two peas in a pod.'

Rachel went on through other pictures, taking ones out until she had the ones she wanted. A variety of pictures that showed Melissa's family and friends. There were others that would be set other places, but for now she was happy with what she had. She smiled at the first picture she set on the shelf, the one Justin took of her, Melissa and Lance. Getting them all situated, she made her way upstairs to check on the progress being made in the bedroom. “Looks good in here, Bass.”

“It's not too shabby,” Melissa commented, tossing another empty box towards the door. “I'm tired. I vote we take showers and make dinner and watch tv for a little while. Forget this whole moving mess.”

“You read my mind. I think some leftover Olive Garden sounds wonderful,” Rachel replied, flopping down on the bed.

“You know where the microwave is, Weatherly. Get your ass up.”

“Don't be rude, Mel. You don't talk to your guests like that,” Rachel told her, laughing when a pillow was aimed at her head and went on the other side completely missing her. “You suck.”

“You're not a guest, but I guess since you did help me unpack this stuff I can fix your dinner. Not like I can burn the house down with the microwave. Okay, maybe I could, but I got mad microwave skills.”

“You should put that on a dating site. SWF seeks SM who can cook. SWF has mad microwave skills,” Rachel got up and laughed when Melissa flipped her off. “Come on and laugh. You know it's funny.”

“Ha ha ha. I'm telling Lance you're being mean. No gay man sex for you. What will you do then?” Melissa asked, watching Rachel pretend to cry.

“Easy. I'll call Chris,” she replied as they both started laughing uncontrollably.

*^*^*^*^*

“Thank God we're off the bus,” Kristen said, watching Joey get ready for sound check. “What are we doing for dinner?” she asked him, hoping it was going to be something good.

“Whatever is in catering,” Joey replied, pulling on a t-shirt. “They usually have good stuff. We have to be back on the bus around midnight to hit Dallas from here.”

“Catering? Really, Joey..I've had catering the past week. And when we did go out, it was to wherever the whole group was going.” Kristen didn't miss Joey's glare at her from the mirror.

“No one said you had to come. You told me you wanted to come on tour with us. Everyone else is gonna eat whatever's in catering. That's what we do. I have to go to sound check, eat, get ready for the meet and greet..not like we have a lot of time to go out somewhere.”

“Fine,” Kristen huffed, getting up to find some different clothes. “You told me other females were going to be on tour too. What happened to that?” she opened her suitcase and pulled out a shirt.

“Rachel will be here in the next couple of weeks. And all of the dancers have tried to be nice to you until you asked Monica why she had to dance like a slut with me. It's her job, she's a dancer and those are the moves. Just like the damn hip thrusts and whatever else I do.”

Kristen just sighed, changing clothes. “Just make sure all those other girls know you're taken.”

“Oh they know alright. How could they not? You hang on me like you're attached to my ass.”

“I didn't hear you bitching before..when it was her,” Kristen had turned her head to smirk slightly as Joey stopped what he was doing.

“You tell me not to bring Mel up, and then you do? Fine,” Joey turned around to face Kristen. “I can't compare the two of you. She knows this is my job. It's Lance's job. That whatever I do on stage, or at the meet and greet doesn't have a damn thing to do with how I feel about her. If I kiss a girl on the cheek cause she rode with her mom five hundred miles because I'm her favorite guy ever, she wouldn't freak the fuck out and not talk to me for five hours.”

Kristen just glared at Joey, shrugging when he waited for her to respond. “I'm jealous. I'm your wife and we're having a baby and it seems like you're more worried about the fans than you are about me.”

“You're not helping your cause any, Kris. Tossing my shit off the bus pissed me the fuck off. I should get all your healthy food and toss it. But I won't. Cause I'm a nice person. Because for some reason I keep hoping that somehow you will figure out that whoever you think I am on tour or on stage isn't the only part of me. That you can love me even if I wasn't making a paycheck like I am. Can you do that?”

Kristen's mouth dropped open like she'd been slapped. “You're an ass, Joe Fatone.”

Joey's mouth clamped shut and he jammed his fedora down on his head. “Let's go,” he said, ushering Kristen out the door, in a bad mood. He only prayed the night would get better but his hopes were slim.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“Look at the lights,” Rachel pointed out as they went towards Los Angeles. “I always loved big cities at night. The guys are in Houston tonight.”

“I know. Houston is a good venue,” Melissa replied. “My favorite is NYC though. And Orlando.”

“And Atlantis,” Rachel said as she smiled. She and Melissa had went with the guys and their families when they performed in the Bahamas. It was three days of sun and sightseeing and a great concert. “Other than JC's god awful pants.”

“I loved his shirt though. It reminded me of Elvis.” Melissa laughed when Rachel rolled her eyes as they drove. “At least my car fits in here. I love this car.”

“Joey wanted to buy you something flashier and you turned him down.”

“This is what I wanted. He told me to pick it out and I did. Of course the sales man bent over backwards to make sure it had all the bells and whistles on it. The killer stereo system...” she smiled, fiddling with the knobs. The car was a few years old, but Melissa was happy to drive it, keeping it maintained and polished up.

“Huh? What did you say? I'm going deaf,” Rachel exclaimed, sticking out her tongue and turning the radio up.


“This isn't so bad,” Melissa said after they'd gotten quiet for a little bit, checking her rear view mirror again, merging with traffic. “You haven't gotten sick yet and I'm not having a panic attack.” It was nearing eight thirty and cars going down the interstate had tapered off from rush hour traffic. As many times as she'd been to Los Angeles since NSYNC had been formed, she was still backwards on where things were at times, since most of the time she was in the passenger. It was much different being there and in the flow of vehicles.

“Take this exit and we can go downtown,” Rachel instructed, planning on showing Melissa the fastest way to get to the Staples Center and a few other places. “Other lane, Mel,” she said, watching her friend get nervous a little. “Take a breath, you did fine. Plenty of room to get over.”

Melissa looked at the turn lane and at the light. She was the first in the line of cars and paused a moment to look. She pulled out and was in front of the waiting traffic when she saw the flash of headlights. There was a screech of tires and the last thing she saw was a truck coming towards her side of the car.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“We've got two females, both early twenties with multiple injuries,” an EMS responder said, talking on the phone to the paramedics that were en route to the accident. “One has a laceration to her forehead and a broken elbow. She got knocked out for approximately two minutes. There is bruising to her ribs from the seatbelt and a contusion on her head where it struck the passenger side window. The driver has a black eye from contact with the airbag and steering wheel. A broken ankle from where the door and floorboard came together. She also was unconscious for a matter of minutes. Both are awake and somewhat oriented. We have them immobilized and awaiting your arrival..” the woman looked at the girls that were laying on backboards and then at the car they'd been in, as well as the huge F-350 that hit them. The car was a total loss.


“What's your name?” A mustached man asked Rachel, holding a small flashlight up to her pupils.

“Rachel Weatherly,” Rachel told him, her head pounding at the light and having to think, reciting off her address and date of birth. “My arm hurts,” she groaned, surpressing a scream when her right arm was moved and taped to her clothes with heavy tape.

“I know, hon. Paramedics are on their way. If you feel sick let me know,” the man looked up when someone hollered his name. He brought a purse into her line of sight. “Is this yours or your friend's?”

Rachel could make out that it was hers, reaching out for it with her other arm. “Thanks.” All she could think of was calling her parents and then Lance. She figured the hospital would call her parens, so Lance went to the forefront of her mind.

“It was wedged in there good,” a different voice said out of Rachel's range of sight. “Damn..let me go help.”

Rachel frowned and wished it didn't hurt so much to move her head, her whole body hurting. Her eyes closed but she could hear Melissa getting sick and then wondering about her car. From what she could gather, the truck hit them doing forty and ended sending them into a light pole. The man was drunk and had sustained only minor injuries. “You're taking us to the same place right?” Rachel asked, concerned when she heard the ambulance sirens.

“Yes. Cedar Sinai. The man said as they hoisted Rachel, backboard and all onto a gurney.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“There's a Jim and Linda Bass listed as your emergency contact. And a Joey Fatone?” the girl in the ambulance riding with Melissa questioned, holding a cold compress over Melissa's eye, on the phone with the hospital.

“Call Jim and Linda..my parents. Joey's..working,” she mumbled, hurting and scared. She didn't know what had happened, glad that she and Rachel were going to the same place. They'd given her some pain medication for her ankle and all she wanted was to be out of the moving vehicle. “Did anyone find my purse? My phone..”

“It's right here. Just lie still and take a couple deep breaths. We're taking you to X-ray as soon as we get to the hospital. Then you'll be put in a room with your friend.”

Melissa nodded and laid there, trying hard not to cry. She wondered what the guys were doing, trying not to think about the wreck. It was just something else to make it seem like she was destined to not have anything good happen.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*


The dancing of the phone across the table as it vibrated broke through the laughter.
Chris snatched up the device. He grinned at the name flashing across the screen. “The future Mrs. Bass,” Chris boasted.
Rachel groaned and pulled the phone away from her ear. The loud voice causing her head to pound. “Chris...” her voice came out a little breathless.
“Ooo did you call to talk dirty to Lance? Well tell me and I'll pass it on,” Chris laughed out loud, joined in by Joey and Justin.
“Put it on speaker! Why should you get all the fun?” Justin yelled before snatching the phone. “Hey girl, if you're gonna talk dirty don't waste it on these yahoos,” he smirked and lowered his voice. “Talk to me.”
“A player like you? Wouldn't waste my breath,” Rachel quipped. She pinched the bridge of her nose; the pounding growing worse.
“You wound me!” Justin grabbed his chest, feigning hurt. “JC!” He yelled as the older man walked into the room with Lance. “Rachel's hurt my feelings for the last time,” he thrusted the phone out.
JC took the phone raising a questioning eyebrow toward Justin then Lance. The latter shrugged.
“Rachel called to talk dirty to Lance,” Chris filled them in. “She's holding out though. I bet she'll respond to your sexy voice.”
JC rolled his eyes ignoring Lance's protests of it's my phone'. “Hey Rachel,” he said with a smile.
“Can I just talk to Lance!” Rachel snapped out not ready to deal with anymore teasing. Her head pounded furiously and her stomach started to roll. The doctor had warned her about the queasiness. This was worse than any hangover she's ever had. At the silence on the other end she cringed; ashamed for snapping at JC. “C,” she whispered. “I'm sorry. It's just...” she trailed off and laid back on the Emergency Room gurney. She closed her eyes shutting out the light. It brought little relief.
JC's eyebrows furrowed in confusion. Rachel had never been short with any of them before. It took him by surprise. She could always put a stop to their teasing, her and Melissa both with a short retort but it was never angry. “No, it's okay,” JC brushed off her apologies.

“JC I'm sorry. I didn't mean to snap,” Rachel sighed cutting him off. She felt a couple tears slip through her closed eyes. She let out a wavering breath trying to hold the tears back. She shouldn't be crying. She was fine; Melissa was fine. But she could still hear the screech of the brakes as the tires squealed against the asphalt; the pop as metal collided with metal. They were like rag dolls in the car as it turned and skidded out of control on the highway.
“Rachel, what's wrong?” JC's heart stumbled as he heard the tears over the line. His pulse quickened and he tried not to panic. “Are you okay? Mel?” The worry in JC's voice brought Lance closer to him, his own worry evident on his face. The other three members stopped horsing around and migrated closer to the phone.
“We're at the hospital,” Rachel's voice broke. She wiped at her tears listening as JC yelled questions into the phone. She winced as the level of loudness grew.
“Hospital? Why are you there? What happened? Are you hurt? Are you okay? Is Melissa okay?'”JC shot questions out as his mind blew through scenarios of why she ended up in. The hospital - none of them good. A chorus of other questioners joined him, all of the guys talking at once.
“Quiet,” Rachel whispered on the phone, her eyes clenched. The voices on the other end of the phone abruptly stopped before JC, volumes lower, returned.
“Are you okay?” JC spoke softly into the phone.
“I'm okay, JC,” Rachel felt a small smile grace her lips. The worry the man was feeling washing over her. “Can you put me on speaker so I can say this once? And the first time I hear yelling I'm hanging up. My head will explode.”
“Shut up and let her talk,” JC punched a button on the phone and held it in front of him. They all leaned forward waiting for Rachel to speak.
“Mel and I were in a car accident,” Rachel started out. The other end stayed silent and a small smile formed on her lips as she imagined them all hovered around the phone, bouncy movements as they fought to stay silent. “We are both okay, just banged up good. Mel's car is destroyed...”

“Who cares about the damn car, Rachel,” Joey burst unable to keep quiet any longer. His mind was racing, his heart thumping wildly. Melissa was in a car accident. She was in a hospital thousands of miles away from him.

Lance's eyes cut to Joey. He could agree with his best friend; he didn't care about the car either. He was more worried about his sister and Rachel. At least he knew Rachel was fine just by hearing her voice. But Melissa, he had no idea. Rachel wouldn't lie to him about the extent of their injuries.

“I know; I'm sorry,' Rachel said softly causing JC to raise the phone higher so they could hear. “It's all still kind of fresh.”

“Take your time,” JC's voice melted over the phone, laced with worry.

“They took Mel for an X-ray and a CAT scan. I went first for the CAT scan and then the X-ray. Now waiting for the results. I knocked my head against the window. Got my bell ring pretty good. They say I have a concussion. Have the worst headache in the world. Lights are killing me.”

“A CAT scan?”Lance questioned, mentally going through their schedule the next couple of days to see if he can go to California. After the show tonight, they had a travel day before the next show. He could see if there was a flight available after the show.

“Just a precautionary measure Lance,” Rachel assured him. “I promise you, we're fine. We're bruised from the seatbelt. The airbag gave her quite a shiner though. I knocked my elbow pretty hard, I cracked the bone and they have me in a cast. Mel broke her ankle and they might have to do surgery.” She gave a slight pause. “She's fine Lance. I talked to her before they took her back. She's already bitching about how she loved that car.”

“Jesus,” Chris released the breath he'd been holding in relief. “I'd have much rather this had been a dirty phone call.”

“A dirty phone call with five guys on speaker? What type of woman do you think I am? Shut up Justin.”

Justin snapped his mouth close. The quip he had died on the tip of his tongue. “I wasn't gonna say anything, chica.”

Rachel laughed, “You're such a liar. They want to keep me over night. I haven't heard if they want Mel to stay as well. I would assume she is.”

“Keep you overnight?” JC broke in. “Why? Are they worried?”

“Relax JC,” Rachel smiled. 'I'm really alright. They just want me to stay for observation. I knocked my head pretty hard; I was out for a minute or two.”

It was easier said than done for JC. He felt tied. He was thousands of miles away unable to do anything. And Rachel could tell him she was fine seven ways to Sunday; he wouldn't be put at ease until he physically saw her.

“I'm coming out there,”Lance said abruptly. Hospitals and CAT scans. There were just too many things about it that he didn't like.

“Lance, you can't. You just started your tour. Of which you should be getting ready to go on stage in an hour or so. If we stay at the hospital-”

“You're staying.”

Rachel rolled her eyes. “Yes Dad. But seriously, you don't need to come. I won't allow you to cancel any dates.”

Four sets of eyes looked at Lance with their eyebrows raised. “Allow?” Chris mouthed.

“You and Mel are more important than any concert Rachel. You know that.”

“And I'm telling you we are fine. Nothing a couple days of rest and the best over-the-counter meds money can buy. I'm sure they'll let us out tomorrow, broken limbs and all.” The curtain surrounding her cubicle on one side parted and her doctor walked in. “I need to go guys. The doctors back. I'll call and let you know anything new hopefully before you go on stage and I'll make sure Mel is with me when I do so you can hear that she's fine.”

“You better call before we go on stage tonight.”

“I will Lance,” Rachel said softly. “Stop worrying. Bye guys,” she clicked off the phone. Before looking at the doctor she quickly sent off a text to Lance a grin on her face.

'Let me know when you land.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: joey