Author's Chapter Notes:
I am so sorry I haven't updated a lot. I am finishing up with finals and will be done with college! Also writing on this and Secret Santa and holidays...anyways, enjoy! Let me know what you think.
Rachel woke up with a start, not sure of where she was for a moment. She then jumped at the sight of JC sitting next to her, leaned back, eyes closed with the recliner fully out, a hospital blanket covering him. On the other side of the room was Lance in the same position in the recliner next to Melissa's bed. There was no clock on the wall, so Rachel grabbed JC's phone that was sitting on the table and looked at the time lit up in the front face. It was almost two in the morning.

She and Melissa had told the guys they could go stay at the condo or in a hotel, but they'd refused, arguing that it was easier just to stay there. No one would bother them and they could be there as soon as Melissa went to have surgery and she got discharged, no one would be waiting for someone to arrive. She laid there and listened to the sounds of breathing and wondered how hard it would be to get up and go to the bathroom. Rachel felt more sore now than she had earlier and grunted a little as she sat up.

“Damn,” she muttered, sliding one leg over to dangle off the bed and bring the other one as well as she pushed up with her left arm to sit up straighter.

“You need help?” Josh mumbled, not really awake but hearing noise.

“I got it,” Rachel whispered, gingerly testing out her legs and standing there a few moments. “I think I got beaten with a baseball bat.”

JC sat up and stretched, yawning. He wasn't really awake, but peeled his eyes open and watched as Rachel made her way to the bathroom. He heard her move around and then heard his name. He got up and went to the door. “Need help?” he asked, listening to her mumble.

Rachel stood up by the toilet and sighed. “Not help. Just need..well..come here.” She'd found it was hard to wash her hand with one hand. She smiled at JC as the both of them came into the bathroom. “Help me wash my hand.”

“I hardly think you needed help with that,” he pointed out after turning on the sink, taking the soap and lathering up on her wet hand. JC's fingers liguidly ran along Rachel's and then after he rinsed it under the water. He looked her over, studying the stitches on her head, frowning and bringing up one of his hands to cradle her face. “You look tired,” he said, trying not to sigh when Rachel leaned on him, her good arm wrapping around his midsection.

“I am,” Rachel said, tears coming to her eyes and smiling as JC wiped them away, humming some unintelligible song as he rested his arms around her. She was tired of fighting her feelings for JC and at the same time, knew that Lance needed her. “Thank you for coming,” she looked at his reflection in the mirror. Josh just held onto her, nodding. “I should go back to bed.” There were so many other things she'd wanted to say, but that was what came out.

“Shit!” JC said, groaning. “We forgot to call Joey, he's going to be pissed.” He let Rachel go as she exited the bathroom and handed him his phone. “He'll be asleep, Rach.”

“At least call and tell him you made it fine. And that Mel's fine...” Rachel let the door close most of the way and went and sat on the edge of the hospital bed. She felt a twinge of regret that Joey wasn't there.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

Joey heard his phone ring and he plucked it off the floor next to the couch in the back of the tour bus. “This is Joey Fatone. My life is Hell, please leave a message after the fucking beep,” he said not bothering to open his eyes.

“We made it to L.A fine. The girls are fine,” JC told his friend, feeling guilty that he was standing there all of a sudden, knowing that Joey should be there.

Joey snorted. “Nice of you to call, Chasez. What, did you suddenly remember I've been waiting for you to call the whole damn night?” He didn't hold back the bite in his voice, pissed off and hurt. “When's Mel's surgery?”

“Around nine. I'm sorry Joe. We got here and the girls were asleep...they woke up and we talked and then all fell asleep. If it helps any, she said your name a couple times in her sleep.”

Joey frowned, hating himself. Hating that he was stuck on a bus in Texas with no way to be in California. “No. That doesn't help Josh. It makes me feel more like shit than I already do.”

“I'd change places with you man.”

“Fuck you, JC. Someone better damn well call me before she goes back. You never know how that shit can go,” Joey said, not even wanting to think about what could happen. They always gave the spiel before going under with anesthesia that you had the possibility of not waking up. That made it hard to breathe, forcing him to swallow deep a few times. “Just promise me Lance will call.”

“I'll tell him. I'm gonna get off here and try and get more sleep.”

“You do that,” Joey told his friend. “Tell Rachel I'm glad she's okay. Not like she doesn't have enough attention from Lance...”

JC's jealousy pricked at that moment, wanting to inform Joey that he was there too, but he quickly forced those words back. “I'll tell her Joe. See you later.”

“Later.” Joey hung up and stared at his phone. All he wanted was normal. Normal for him at least. His phone buzzed with a text message and he looked at it. He frowned, hating what it said. 'She wanted you here. Not any of us. Just so you know.'

“I heard you talking,” Chris said, coming to the back and flopping down in the chair next to the couch, not all the way awake. “Things okay?”

“Wonderful, Kirkpatrick. Just absolutely great. Couldn't be any better.” Joey was in a mood, tired of people asking him if he was alright, or people just giving him a look. The looks were the worst, one that made him feel like they were judging him. Like they expected him to be this happy go-lucky person twenty four hours a day. He could manage four or five hours of smiling, pretending that his life was great.

“It could be worse man,” Chris said, listening to Joey harrumph. “No one died in the car accident, did they? You're getting to be a dad. A woman who's had her heart stomped on is still talking to you, when it was you who did the damage. Three things you can be thankful for.”

“Oh yes, let's add that all up with a pile of shit and see what happens.”

Chris turned his head and looked at Joey, a slight growl to his voice. “Just because you're hurting doesn't mean none of us aren't either, assfuck.”

“What could you possibly be hurting about?”

“It's too early in the morning to start this, Fatone. Go to sleep,” Chris told him, pulling the lever to let the recliner out. “Just know that we're brothers, man. Whatever you're going through, we all feel it. Go to sleep,” he repeated, his voice changing tone slightly. “Sweet dreams.”

Joey laid there after Chris had gotten still and heard a soft snore coming from the older man before he tried to close his eyes. Worry had made him exhausted and he knew he had to try and get some rest. His mind drifted and the last thing he remembered was thinking of how the couch wasn't as comfortable as he'd remembered.

*^*^*^*^*^^*^*^*^

“You're going home, Weatherly,” Melissa told Rachel, holding up the papers the nurse had given her to read and sign off on for her surgery. “One of us is going home and sitting on the couch. I'll be home later...This is an outpatient thing, right?” she asked Lance, who nodded. “See, I'll be home later.”

“I could sit with Lance,” Rachel told her, wanting to stay with her boyfriend. She also did want to go to the condo and put on some of her own clothes, to sit down and think without hearing a beeping noise of a machine or footsteps down a hallway.

“You could, but JC's going with you to the condo so you can rest,” Lance told Rachel, getting up and pulling her into his arms. He could see that she was exhausted and knew that her just staying here would wear her out more. “I'll be fine,” he smiled and kissed her softly. “I can call and let you know how things went. Who knows, maybe they'll give her good drugs where she can't talk for a few days. Give us all a break,” he teased, making a face at his sister.

“Remind me I need to put ex-lax in your chocolate shake, you ass,” Melissa told her brother, looking at Rachel. She shared a knowing smile with her best friend. Time alone with Josh was something she figured Rachel wouldn't mind at all. It was something that didn't happen often out on tour. This was just a blip of time. Melissa waved her friend off, telling her to go home and sit and watch tv. “Keep my ottoman warm for me,” she called out to Rachel after getting hugs from her and Josh both. They'd called a cab to take them home. Laying her head back on the pillow, she looked over at Lance and swallowed hard, taking his hand. “I don't have to pretend to be brave anymore do I ?”

Lance's green eyes met his sister's and his heart stumbled, watching her cry. “No, Mel...” he bit his lip. “Someone wanted me to call. I promised Joe I'd call before they gave you goofy juice. He wanted to talk for a few minutes.”

Melissa nodded, wiping her face with the back of her hand. She closed her eyes and listened to the phone ring, since Lance had it on speaker. “Talk..I'll be back.” He got up, giving her privacy as he slipped just outside the room. Melissa listened to Joey say hello and she fought to keep her voice even. “Hey Fatoney,” she said, hating that tears came anyway.

“Bambina,” Joey said, ignoring the sudden stop of talking between Chris and Justin. “Are you alright?”

Melissa could hear the worry in his voice and wished she could see him to reassure him that she was okay, even if she wasn't totally sure. “I'm a little scared. I mean, it's a routine surgery..I just hate needles and all that...” her voice fell off and she took a shaky breath.

“I know, Melly. I called Nona this morning and she said she was praying for you. She said to tell you she loves you,” Joey told her, listening to her tell about her parents calling, and a few other calls she'd gotten. “Do you need anything?” he asked, hating that he wasn't there.

Melissa could have answered that so many ways, but instead changed the subject. She didn't want to be truthful not wanting to hurt more than she was or hurt Joey by telling him she wanted him. “I'll have Lance call you when it's over. It made me feel better, talking to you” Melissa whispered, a calm feeling washing over her, hearing Joey chuckle.

“Glad one of us does. Tell him to let me know..text is fine if I don't answer. We have a radio interview. Guess I better go get ready. Seems like I can't wear the same clothes for more than a couple days before people bitch.”

“The Fatone funk. Ewww,” Melissa told him, a smile coming to her face. She listened to him grumble and then told him goodbye as Lance came back in, along with a nurse.

“I tried to keep her out as long as I could,” Lance said, taking the phone. He felt it buzz and smiled, seeing Justin and Chris telling him Joey actually was smiling. Or at least not pissed off and scowling. He left the room while they put a catheter in and hooked the IV up with medications and walked beside her as they wheeled the bed to where the anesthesiologist was. “I love you,” he told her, kissing his sister's cheek.

“Love you too,” Melissa laid back on the bed, letting the first round of drugs work, a smile on her face as she drifted off.

“Mr. Bass, if you'll come with me, I'll show you were the waiting room is,” a nurse said, smiling at him.

Lance walked along the hallway and sat down, flipping his phone open. He sent out a blanket text message that Melissa was fine and now in surgery. He smiled at the replies, then shut his phone and leaned back and sighed. He prayed that his sister would be fine, and that Rachel was getting rest. His thoughts drifted and Lance found himself wondering about the tour. He wasn't worried really, just that he knew he and Joey would be busy filming the movie and doing the tour. Not only that, but with a baby on the way, he figured Joey was going to feel like he was never still. Lance's thoughts were never very far from Rachel and he smiled at her text. 'Condo sweet condo' she wrote, sending a picture of herself on the couch. 'See you in a little while, xoxo' she added.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

“Should you really be doing that?” JC asked, his eyebrow raised as he watched Rachel load the dishwasher. “I can help-” he started towards her, but stopped when she held up a hand.

“It's a few cups, Josh,” Rachel told him, shutting the machine and looking at him. “I'm sure the insurance company hasn't been called about the car. I can do that,” she said, naming off a few other things that needed to be done.

“Rachel,” JC said, giving her a look and folding his arms as he watched her go to a binder and flip through it. “Rachel,” he repeated, his voice taking on a more authoritarian tone and he had to fight to not smirk when she looked at him, clearly not liking being interrupted. “You need to rest.”

“I'll rest after-” Rachel was cut off by JC coming over to her and taking the binder full of business cards from her hands. “I need that...”

“No. You don't,” JC said gently, setting it down on the counter and sliding it a little ways from where they stood. “You're about to fall over. Go to the couch and sit and relax. I'll fix you some hot tea and something to snack on,” his hand caressed her shoulder as he pushed her towards the living room.

“You're bossy, Chasez.” Rachel's body nearly hummed at JC's hand on her, her body moving towards the couch. She let him arrange a pillow under her arm that was in the sling and cover her with a blanket.

“Only when someone's being stubborn and won't listen,” JC reached and pushed a strand of hair away from Rachel's face giving her a grin. “Just sit here and don't worry about anything.”

Rachel watched JC turn the corner to go into the kitchen and she frowned, hating that she couldn't see him. How could she not worry? Her best friend was in surgery and they were both hurt. She felt like it was her job to worry, at least somewhat. To take care of things. “Need any help?” she called out, listening to cabinet doors opening and closing.

“No,” JC called back, finding what he needed and putting the water on to get hot. It would take a few minutes, so he came back into the living room and sat down next to Rachel. “Where did Mel find that tea kettle?” he asked. “The last time I saw one was at my grandma's.”

“That one was her mom's..and before that her grandmother's. It's moved quite a few times,” Rachel told JC. “Can I ask you a question?” her eyes met his and she smiled slightly, their hands next to each other on the couch. Her breath caught when JC's hand found hers and he held on, his thumb running over hand as his fingers intwined with hers.

“Anything,” JC waited for her to speak. He prayed it wouldn't be a question about his feelings. He had an idea of how he felt, but not sure he was ready to share it with Rachel, not sure if he wanted to confess that he thought of her as more than a friend. And even if he did feel more, she was dating Lance. He wasn't the type to steal someone's girlfriend, no matter if it was just for looks or not.

“Why were you so worried about me? Even after I told you I was fine...” Rachel raised an eyebrow at him, watching him swallow hard. “I wouldn't lie to you about that, C.”

“I know that. I just...I don't deal with people in hospitals well. I never have. And we were in Texas and you were here...” his voice trailed off. “No one could tell, the fans I mean, but we were barely keeping it together on stage. All I could think about was something happening and the phone ringing and no one to answer it, to find out that you needed us here.”

The shrill whistle of the tea kettle interrupted the conversation and JC got up quickly. “I'll be right back,” he said, giving her a smile.

Rachel leaned her head back on the couch cushion and sighed. She wasn't afraid of JC. She was afraid of what would happen if she got hurt, or the bigger fear, if Josh hurt her. That thought had crept up in her mind the more she thought about her pseudo relationship with Lance. It was her safety barrier against being hurt. Lance would never hurt her like another man would. He cared for her more than just a girlfriend, and more than a friend. It was almost perfect if she had to put a word on it. And as perfect as it was, Rachel found herself falling a little more when JC came back into where she was carrying a cup of hot tea and some cookies. “You spoil me, Josh.”

“I was given strict instructions to take care of you like you were my own,” he replied, giving her a genuine smile and then a non committal shrug, playing it off.

“So you boss me around and make me relax,” Rachel took a sip of her tea and sighed. She could taste the sweetness of honey in it. “I'm really glad you came with Lance. I'm sure he needed someone to come.”

JC nodded, looking at one of the pictures on the table between the couch and the chair. He picked it up and smiled, showing it to her. It was one of Melissa and Joey back when they were younger, both of them making a stupid face at the camera. “I think Joey will be glad to have you there with us,” he said softly. “He's so heartsick. I hate seeing him like that and at the same time, I can't say anything. Besides that, you're a lot prettier to look at than those four.”

“Thank God,” Rachel told JC, playfully pushing his arm. “If I'm not better looking than Justin, something is wrong.” She smiled and grabbed a cookie from the plate. “Chewy cookies are the best.”
Rachel wanted to roll her eyes at herself, wondering if that's what 'Baby' felt like in Dirty Dancing when she told Johnny she carried a watermelon.

JC chuckled and picked one up from the plate, taking a bite of it. “Glad we agree on this subject. I'm not sure I could take care of a woman who didn't like cookies that weren't soft.”

“Josh...I didn't know you had a dorky side,” Rachel smiled wide when he blushed as he polished off his cookie.

“Don't tell anyone,” he whispered, putting an arm around her. It wasn't to be totally romantic, but JC had to admit it felt good when Rachel leaned more into him, her hair tickling his face. He felt his phone buzz and pulled it out of his pocket. “Surgeon came in and told Lance the surgery went well. He's going to see her in recovery in about thirty minutes or so and then they can come home after she gets up and gets around a little.”

“This should be interesting,” Rachel told him, seeing her phone light up with a text. It was the same as JC's and she hit reply and sent Lance a message. “I just hope they give her good drugs.”

“You mean like yours?” JC got up and took the dirty dishes back into the kitchen and grabbed the prescriptions off the counter, reading off the name and instructions. “These could put an elephant down,” he muttered, handing them to Rachel. “You want some water or more tea?”

“Water for these,” Rachel said, getting her pills out. She grinned when JC brought her back both water and tea.

“It will help you get some rest.” JC took up residence in the recliner and watched Rachel. It wasn't much, but he was enjoying taking care of her. Even if they weren't a couple he could tell she appreciated it, that he wasn't doing it to impress her or be someone he wasn't. He raised an eyebrow at her trying to get comfortable. “You look uncomfortable.”

“I hate laying on this side,” Rachel told him, getting up and sighing. Moving to the other side of the couch, she tossed a couple pillows at the end and laid that way with her injured arm on the inside. “I'll have to kick Joey off the couch in the back if he's riding on our bus. There's no way I can sleep in one of the bunks.”

“Milk that injury for all it's worth,” JC told Rachel, smirking when she gave him a look. “What? You have five guys..well..four, at your beck and call.”

“That just sounds so wrong, Josh. I know women that would do anything for that type of thing.” Rachel smiled at his snort as she closed her eyes. “I've got a song in my head,” she stated after a few quiet moments.

“What song is that?”

Rachel laughed. “Don't hate me, but it's Drowning..by the Backstreet Boys.”

JC nodded, humming part of the song. “Every time I breathe I take you in and my heart beats again. Baby I can't help it, you keep me drowning in your love. Every time I try to rise above, I'm swept away by love, I can't help it, I'm drowning in your love,” he sang, adding his own sound to the song, knowing he didn't sound like any of the Backstreet Boys. It didn't matter to him if Rachel had said 'Tiptoe Through the Tulips' Josh figured he'd sing it. As silly as it sounded when he heard Justin give Joey crap about serenading Melissa, it made his heart beat faster when Rachel turned her head and mouthed the words along with him. It took a lot for JC not to confess he was falling in love with her, getting up and pulling the blanket up around her more. His lips brushed her forehead, then he pulled back a little so he could look at her, not sure what to think.

Rachel wanted his lips on hers. She wanted more than that, but didn't utter a word, looking at Josh. She was realizing that whatever it was between her and JC wasn't going to go away. For now she had to tamper it down, hating that she couldn't tell him to keep going. “You're the best, C,” she heard herself say, watching a grin stretch across his face.

“I try,” JC shrugged, pointing a finger at her. “Now sleep Weatherly.”

“Don't be such a bossy butt, Chasez. You might order around those other four guys, but I'll take you down a peg or two.”

“When you think you're big enough, we'll have a throwdown.”

Rachel didn't open her eyes, but she smiled. “You're the quiet one. Where does all this violence come from?” she questioned, wondering if she'd get an answer.

JC leaned back in the chair once more and pulled out the recliner. “I blame today's youth. And video games.” He smiled at her laugh, grabbing the remote to watch some television. He turned it on mute and settled on SportsCenter. He was about to open his mouth when he saw that Rachel had fallen asleep. He was glad, since she needed the rest. Also he'd tried hard not to kiss her. It wouldn't be good to have Lance come home and see him kissing Rachel. His eyes went to the television and he sighed, wondering how he was going to handle being on a tour bus with his friend's girlfriend that he wanted. It was bad enough Joey was dealing with everything, but add in the other drama on the bus and Josh groaned to himself. “Welcome to NSYNC. Where it's all bullshit and the points don't matter,” he muttered, mimicking a television show.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: joey