Author's Chapter Notes:
Part two of this chapter
Lance closed the email and looked at Joey who was standing there visably shaking with emotion. “She's letting you go again. You have to let her go, Joe. No one said you two had to forget about each other. I know my sister. She just wants you happy. And you just want her happy, right?”

Joey nodded. He wanted a cigarette bad. He wanted a whole pack at once, wondering if it would make him stroke out. “Train, huh?” he muttered, shaking his head. “Choo choo motherfucker.” He chuckled, reaching for his cigs and lighter. He'd agree to let her go if that's what Melissa wanted.

“What are you humming?” Lance asked as they walked out with Mo so Joey could smoke.

“I Will Survive,” Joey replied, flicking his lighter and inhaling, giving the blonde man a smile.

Lance grinned and shoved his hands in his pockets. It sounded like something smart ass his sister would say. He just prayed hard that it would work out. For their happiness and his. It wasn't bad being essentially single, but at the same time it sucked. He was still looking for his “Mr. Right”. That was going to be a long search. He wanted the fairytale...man of his dreams. However, Lance knew reality had a way of interfering in ways you had no control over, so he kept that one to himself.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“See, you can do it,” Holly smiled proudly at the dinner before her. It was just eggs and pancakes and bacon. However, the eggs weren't burnt and the pancakes were fluffy. Bacon was crisp. “It's breakfast that's not out of a box or in a microwave.” She made a face at Melissa who flipped her off.

“Like I'm gonna cook this just for me,” Melissa told her, looking at the food. “Who am I cooking for?”

“Some random hot guy...” Holly shrugged, giving her a smile.

“Speaking of random, Chris mentioned something about pink lace panties,” Melissa held her hand up before Holly could speak. “I have no desire to know what you and Kirkpatrick talk about. He just said it to embarrass you, which has worked.” She grinned and pulled out her phone and took a picture. “I'm sending this shit to Justin. He'll think it's fake food.”

“He wouldn't,” Holly said, pulling out the pancake syrup and laughing when Melissa nodded.

“Chris said he was calling the fire department to put them on notice. Keep your man in line, Witten.”

“He's not my man yet,” Holly felt herself blush. She was hoping. Chris texted her a lot, or caught her online at weird hours. It worked for them and she found him hilarious. It was like talking to a big kid even though he was the oldest. And when it came down to it, Chris was just normal. He appreciated the little stuff more so than a lot of guys making the money that they were raking in. She'd found out why during one of their marathon chat sessions. He'd grown up poor. He'd told her that one time he'd yelled at his mom when they had the same supper for three nights in a row, not understanding that was all she could afford. And Chris explained that every city they went to, he always searched the NSYNC message boards to find parents who had kids who wanted to go to a concert but couldn't afford it. What was a couple hundred bucks or so? Holly had cried at that, listening to him talk about his dogs at home and how he missed his grandmother who'd passed away last year. The thing that had gotten her was what Chris had said after that. “I think she would have liked you. Cause I like you.” That had made her smile.

In turn, she told him about her family. Her family was scattered all over and they all worked pretty normal jobs. Holly had grown up with her parents and was close to her siblings and cousins. They had a lot in common, love of sports and animals and music. He told her sometime he wanted to take her to a hockey game to which she readily agreed. It had made her smile until she'd fallen asleep later that night, reluctant to get off the phone.

“Earth to Holly,” Melissa waved a hand in front of Holly's face, grinning when her friend's eyes moved and focused on her, “Have a nice day dream?” Her lips curved into a smile.

“Yeah, sorry. I'm tired. I stayed up way too late on the phone,” Holly blushed a little when Melissa whistled, grabbing their drinks. “How was your dinner?” she asked as they sat.

“It was good. Fun,” she told her, digging into her pancakes and stuffing some into her mouth before Holly could ask anymore.

*^*^*^*^*

Justin felt his phone vibrate and he grabbed it, ignoring the groans since they were about to get into wardrobe for the concert. “That's fake food,” he muttered, laughing at the next picture of Melissa flipping him off as she took a big bite. 'Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie' he texted, sending off his own picture flying the bird. 'Love you Chica' he added, tossing his phone back into his bag.

“What was that about?” JC asked, raising an eyebrow as the wardrobe people put his jacket on him where it wouldn't mess with his mic.

“Lookout, dawg. Our Melly's cooking now, Watch out Julia Child,” Justin quipped, smiling big. He was proud of her. It took a lot to get her out of her comfort zone. And he figured she was scared to death but he knew if she could survive Los Angeles, everything else would be gravy.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“You'll be here in a couple hours?” Melissa half yelled, her finger in her ear standing just outside the club. It had been almost a month since she'd seen Rachel and wasn't about to miss seeing her friend. Her shift ended in half an hour and that would leave her enough time to get to the airport.

“Yes! Gate 25 American coming from Orlando. It sounds like a circus. How's the job?”

“Best damn job in my life,” Melissa told her, grinning. “I get paid to play music and watch people dance. I gotta go, Weatherly. Love you!”

“Love you too, Mel. See you in a little while.”

Melissa shoved her phone back in her pocket and waved to the people outside smoking. She'd gotten this job a few days after the Backstreet concert on a fluke. She and Holly had went out and spotted the advertisement for a DJ. After a few late night calls to Chris about turn tables, which she'd watched him master, Melissa Bass was spinning tunes five nights a week, bringing home some good money. The best part was getting to pick out some of her favorite songs, setting the mood.

Time flew and before she knew it, Melissa was parking her Mustang in the parking lot of LAX. She looked down at her outfit and smiled. She was wearing a form fitting top with some flare jeans and Doc Martens. Her hair and make up done for work. Rachel would be proud that she was dressed in something more than just a t-shirt and no make up. And the best part was that her walking boot was off. The doctor told her not to go running a marathon, but it had felt so good to not mess with getting around. Pocketing her keys and putting her purse on her shoulder, she sent off a quick text.

'At LAX, can't wait to see you!'

'Me either! A whole week to relax and not be on a bus.'

Melissa smiled at the response. Rachel loved touring but being stuck on a moving bus was getting to her. She'd sucked it up for Lance and JC's sakes, but she'd plainly told her best friend that she wasn't cut out for life as a roadie. Melissa was the opposite. Well, she used to be, she thought. In the last five years, Joey hadn't changed much. Bus living with him took talent. At least this year he was putting his dirty clothes in a hamper and the trash in the trash can. Anything else was suspect, but the Joey pillow was always available and more than once she'd taken advantage of the opportunity to use Joey to soak up heat since his bus was colder than Grant's tomb the last time she'd went on tour. Her mind strayed to him every once in a while and she closed the lid on that line of thinking when the doors automatically opened for her and she went towards where Rachel would be exiting the plane.

Her phone buzzed and she smiled at the text from JC. Melissa typed out a quick reply that she'd have Rachel call when she landed. He worried more than a woman, but she knew that was JC's personality. He and Rachel had grown close and Melissa had spent time talking with both Rachel and then Lance. Her brother was happy, but she knew he was struggling not to be disappointed that he wasn't able to come out and have the relationship he longed for. Her head snapped up when the call for the flight came in and she grinned.

“Weatherly!” Melissa yelled, quickly making her way to her friend and hugged her tightly.

“Who are you? You sound like Mel,” Rachel teased her, hugging her in return and then holding her at arm's length. “Who took you shopping?” she raised an eyebrow at the outfit.

“When in L.A...” she shrugged, linking her arm through Rachel's. Melissa grabbed Rachel's suitcase off the terminal and grinned. “How do you feel about Chinese?” she asked when they got to her car, getting in.

“Chinese sounds good,” Rachel said, praying the queasiness would go away. After strep throat, she'd had about of some sort of stomach virus a couple weeks after that came and went.

“Well then what sounds good?” Melissa asked as they pulled out of the airport. “Hey buddy, the gas is on the right!” she yelled, honking her horn.

“Oh my God, you moved here and became one of them,” Rachel laughed until she had tears running down her face and was holding her stomach. “You just yelled at a car in the slow lane,” she commented, shaking her head.

“Speaking of yelling,” Melissa dramatically rolled her eyes. “Your skinny mini of a boyfriend sent me a text to tell me to have you call him.” She laughed when Rachel pulled out her phone and dialed, leaving JC a voicemail. “You two are sickening. Really. It's disgustingly adorable.”

“Like you're much better, Mrs. Backstreet. I'm almost jealous,” Rachel told her as she slipped her phone back in her purse. “How are things with dear Alexander McLean?”

“They're good,” Melissa told her, giving her a smile. Her fingers gripped the steering wheel a little tighter and she sighed. “We have a lot of fun. He's flown me all over the U.S. So we could be together, hang out.”

Rachel studied her friend and her eyes narrowed. “There's something you're not telling me,” she replied, turning more in the seat. “What's up, Mel?”

“Well...I didn't want to say anything because I wasn't around AJ all day every day, you know. And he's a great guy. He just...drinks. A lot. I mean, he's went on stage drunk. A functioning alcoholic if you will...I'm not scared of him, Rach. I just don't want him to hurt himself. Or someone else. The guys have tried to talk to him and he told them all to fuck off. And then he calls and tells me I'm the only woman in his life that doesn't want something from him besides friendship.” Melissa spilled it all out as she drove and then pulled in the parking lot of the Chinese restaurant. She looked over at Rachel and sighed. “I hate seeing him like that.”

Rachel took her friend's hand. “Don't make his problems yours.”

“I'm not, Rachel. I promise. Let's go eat. I hear shrimp friend rice calling your name,” she grinned.

“Way to avoid the conversation, Bass,” Rachel muttered as they shouldered their purses and made their way in. They both ordered drinks and went to the buffet. Rachel's stomach turned more at the smell of the food and she ended up just getting some soup and a small helping of fried rice. Her first bite was alright, but the second made her put down her fork.

“What's wrong?” Melissa asked, seeing Rachel's face pale a little, pointing a fork at her that had a spear of beef broccoli on it.

“I don't know..I feel awful. The food tastes funny,” Rachel admitted, sliding her plate away gingerly, sipping on her water with lemon.

“You aren't pregnant are you?” Melissa joked, going back to her fried rice.

“Ha ha ha, very funny.” Rachel was about to quip off something else when her brain went backwards. She'd felt so bad when she'd went to the doctor and then to get the prescription that the words didn't really matter at the time. She was exhausted and felt like total crap. Now that she could remember clearly, it was like a dash of cold water hit her. Her mouth opened and then shut and opened again but nothing came out.

“Rach..you're scaring me,” Melissa said, watching her friend's eyes get wide and her knuckles whiten as they gripped the glass. “Breathe, Weatherly.”

Rachel let out a breath she'd been holding and looked at Mel. “Can we go? I'm feeling faint,” she whispered, feeling a little bad looking at her friend's still over halfway full plate. She pulled out a twenty dollar bill when her friend nodded and they got up. She was numb with the thought of the possibility. It was silent for a few minutes, both girls listening to the radio play as the car ran, the air going on low. “I need you to stop at a store,” she said softly.

“How did this happen?” Melissa asked, looking over at Rachel as if she had two heads.

“You see, when two people love each other...” Rachel started out, shaking her head, “How do you think it happens?”

Melissa backed out of the parking space. “I thought you were on birth control, Rach. I mean, you didn't stop or anything did you? It helped wonderful Aunt Flo out...” her voice trailed off as Rachel nodded.

“Yeah, I didn't stop with it, but while we were in there I was suddenly hit with the thought of the antibiotics I was on. They counteract the birth control,” a tear rolled down Rachel's cheek and she wiped it away quickly. “What if I'm pregnant?” she whispered, the word sounding horrible to her as she wiped her hands on her pants.

“Then I gotta say there's something in the water. Glad I cut ship before now,” Melissa teased, spotting a Walgreen's. She looked over at her friend and gave her a smile. “Don't freak out, we don't know anything yet. I'll go in and then we'll go home. I can make you some hot tea.”

“You can make tea?” Rachel said, attempting to joke as her friend flipped her off. She watched Melissa get out and go in the store. She raised an eyebrow when Melissa came bag with a bag and handed it to Rachel. “Did you buy the whole store? Are we going to a pregnancy checking party?” she peered down at the five different tests and then at her friend.

“I didn't know which one to get, so I got them all. I wanted to be thorough.”

Rachel groaned but couldn't suppress a grin. “That's what he said.”


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: joey