Author's Chapter Notes:
Wow, I didn't realize where I left the story hanging. I will be updating a lot tonight. Enjoy. Thanks for sticking with me.
The week had went by fast. Faster than she wanted it to and before Rachel knew it, she was on a plane taking her back to the tour. She watched the clouds go by out the window and was glad for some time to herself. She always had fun with her best friend, but this week left her drained. Between the two of them trying to figure out what she was going to say to JC and Lance, then with all the news surrounding Joey it had been a full time job to not let everything creep in. Her grandfather had called as well, asking if she would be able to work some after the tour was done. It would be local work in Tampa and then in Miami and a week tops. Rachel couldn't turn him down since he let her off to tour with NSYNC. She only worked on a handful of accounts she could access by email and spent time on the bus working while the guys had media obligations. She wondered briefly how the elder Weatherly would take the news, shoving that thought away quickly. Right now she was worried about telling JC.

Her mind wandered along that subject until she found herself going for her carry on and making her way out of the plane. She knew a car would be waiting for her to take her to the arena. What Rachel didn't expect was Joey to be there with Rick. He was a day early, leaning against the taxi, smoking a cigarette. He was wearing a Superman shirt and some ripped jeans and Nikes. The thing that brought a smile to her face wasn't that, but the fact that his hair was red again on the ends. Her smile grew when he gave her a smile. Rachel could tell he was still hurt, but it was a smile she'd seen before.

“Hey you,” Rachel put her bags down and hugged Joey hard, feeling him give her a hug in return. “You look like Joey again.”

Joey held Rachel for a moment before letting her go, shrugging. “Mike hooked me up,” he ran a hand over his face, the beard that ran over his jawline trimmed up. “How was California?” he asked, grabbing her bags and then opening the door while the driver got the trunk.

“It was Los Angeles. I think I left Mel's place only for her to go to work, or for me and Holly to do a few things. Nothing exciting,” she replied, sliding in and asking Rick how his family was doing.

They all talked for a few moments until Rachel looked at Joey, who was studying the scenery. “How are you? I know you've been asked that a million times between when you left and now. I just want to know if you're okay.”

“I'm...doing better. All the paperwork is filed and everything else that had anything to do with Kristen is dealt with. Everything is out of the house and the real estate agent is showing my place this week.”

“You're moving?” Rachel said, surprised as Joey nodded.

“That was my first house I bought with my own money. And I love the house...” his voice trailed off a moment. “But I don't want to be stuck there with other memories, ya know? There's some houses closer to my Mom and Pop that I've heard of for sale, some with killer backyards and pools. Something new.”

“I'm sure you'll find something you love, Joey.”

“Me too. I'm glad Johnny and everyone was okay with me taking off even though we were going on vacation. I just couldn't leave that shit with my parents. I saw the kid...”

“Oh. Wow..I'm sorry,” Rachel told him, confused when he chuckled.

“He was a cute booger..however, if she thought I was really that stupid, she had another thing coming. The kid's half Hawaiian or something. Darker skinned than my Italian ass,” Joey explained, shaking his head.

“You're handling this better than I thought you would be,” Rachel told him, reaching over and squeezing his hand.

“This is me after some good drugs to get me to sleep, Rach. Yesterday you would have been locking me up and throwing away the key. Not even sure Mel could have stood me,” he replied softly.

Rachel wanted to open her mouth and tell him that Melissa would have come too if she didn't have to work and that she was worried about him, but that wasn't her place. Joey still had some making up to do. Even though now it was clear it wasn't his fault, he'd still hurt the other woman. “Sometime when you feel like it, you should give her a call.”

“How do you know she'd even want to hear what I have to say?” Joey rolled an eye towards Rachel and raised an eyebrow. “If I was her, I sure as hell wouldn't listen.”

“Maybe you'll just have to make her listen. I'm sure you'll come up with something,” Rachel told him as her phone buzzed. She looked at it, grinning at the picture that was attached to the message. It was JC and his face was bright and smiling . 'Can't wait to see you.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: joey