Author's Chapter Notes:
I have been so bad about updating. I'm sorry..real life has been work, come home, repeat. Enjoy... :)
Rachel's phone vibrated and she looked at it before hitting the 'off' button and sighing. She'd been avoiding her parents. And her grandfather. She'd at least placated him in that she was answering her email with what he needed, but she had told him she was taking a couple weeks off. She worked more than a 40 hour week and knew it wouldn't hurt if she took some time for herself. And also it was a way of not dealing with her family right now. JC's family had taken the news of the baby well. That had made her less nervous, somewhat. Her phone buzzed again and she thought about tossing it over the back of the couch and hoped it shattered.

She was curled up with one of JC's blankets and watching the rain come down from the blinds that were open. He was downstairs in his studio and she could hear him playing the piano, adding notes and chords to something he was working on. A small smile crossed Rachel's face at the thought of JC. He wanted her. And their baby. It wasn't that she hadn't thought about it, but it was still such a new thing. Part of her knew it was fast for both of them and it scared her a bit. As much as Rachel knew she and JC weren't like Joey and Kristen, she wanted both of them to be totally sure. Two people could make a baby, but for parents it didn't always work out. However, every time her mind wandered too far down that path, Rachel thought of Melissa's words and those doubts fluttered away. The baby in her arms, curled up to her chest fast asleep with dark curls. That was on her mind when she jumped at JC sitting down next to her.

“You're thinking awfully hard,” JC commented, grabbing one of Rachel's feet and tried to tickle her as she jerked her foot away as he grinned. “Come here,” JC opened his arms and smiled when Rachel sat up and curled up next to his body. The past few days by themselves had done a lot to get him thinking of how much his life would change. It was frightening to think that he would be responsible for someone else's life. Not just a baby, but the woman having his baby. “I love you,” he whispered, his lips brushing Rachel's temple lightly. It wasn't just words to him. Not a line in a song just to sing anymore, wishing that it would happen for him. He chuckled at his next thought before Rachel could say anything.

“Do I even want to know why you are laughing after you told me you love me?” Rachel's hand traced a finger over the contours of JC's face as she gazed at him.

“I'm sorry, Rach. It was just something Joey told me a while back. I was giving him hell about what a stupid lovesick sap he was with Melissa. He told me he hoped I was worse and that it was the best feeling ever.” JC watched her eyes study him and he let his fingers graze her sides to rest one hand on her stomach lightly.

“Well, I do love you,” Rachel replied, placing her hand on top of the one on her stomach. “And anything Joey says should be taken with a grain of salt. Well, most of it. How do you feel about it all now?” she asked as a flash of lightening went across the sky.

“I think that he was right. It's a great feeling having that stupid feeling when I see you and know that you're mine...” JC say Rachel's phone light up and he frowned when he saw her mom's name pop up on caller ID. “You aren't going to talk to your Mom?” he asked, watching Rachel shake her head and bury her head into his neck. When he felt something wet on his neck, JC soothed her. “Talk to me, baby.”

“What is there to talk about?” Rachel's voice was hoarse and cracked with emotion when she lifted her head. “My family isn't like yours, C. They won't see that we love one another, or that we want this baby. The only thing will be the Weatherly name and how this will effect the way people see them...” she sniffled and bunched up JC's shirt. “I'm...I'm scared. Not just of them knowing, but of all the what if's. What if we get into this and it doesn't go right?” The rest of her unspoken fears were swallowed by JC's lips meeting hers. It was a tender kiss, but it lingered and deepened, with Rachel moaning a little when JC momentarily lifted his lips only to turn his head at an angle to meet her mouth better.

JC finally broke off the kiss, wiping Rachel's tears with his thumbs, his forehead resting against hers. “These what ifs...they haven't happened. Why are you so upset at something that hasn't happened yet? That might not ever happen,” he continued. He had to keep his fears from coming up. JC felt like he couldn't let Rachel see how vulnerable he was at the moment. All he wanted was Rachel to be alright right now, hating the tears.

“You can't just be okay with this,” Rachel said softly. “I mean, we're going to be parents,” her eyes caught JC's and she saw the fear there. “I'm glad I'm not the only one,” she told him.

JC swallowed hard, looking away out the window as the rain came down harder now. It was quiet save for that. He tried to rein his feelings. “I'm scared...” his voice was a whisper. “I mean,” JC blew a breath out and shook his head. “I'm supposed to be strong for you. Not admit that I want to go upstairs and lock myself in the master bathroom and cry...” he chuckled, but a tear escaped before he could stop it. “I can't promise you all those things like I'll be home every night. That I can keep the media and fans off you at all times. I can't say I'll be a good Dad..that I won't mess up with you. I can't keep anything...” JC let go of Rachel then, one of his hands covering his face. It was one of his faults, he knew. That he had to be in control, and this was out of his realm of plans and it scared him. “If anything happened to our baby..Or to you,” he whispered, looking over at Rachel, his face blotchy. “I would lose my damn mind.”

Rachel wiped her own tears, her fears were the same as JC's; more for their baby than for herself. It didn't do any good to think like that, but it was still there. She laced a hand through his and squeezed it gently. “You can't think like that, C. I mean, it's okay to be scared. It's something new that we have to get ready for...but you can't worry so much. Promise me you won't.”

JC sighed. He wanted to tell her he wouldn't but that would be a lie. “I'll try my best,” he replied. “We just have to think positive and say a few prayers..or a lot of prayers..”

“Lots. And I want to plan out a nursery when things get farther along...” her voice trailed off as her imagination took over. Rachel could picture some antique furniture in a room with a crib and a rocking chair, stuffed animals and a soft color palette on the walls. She wanted their baby to grow up in a peaceful house and have the love of two parents who would dote over him or her.

“A nursery is good,” JC looked at her, taking a deep breath before pulling her back to him. “Do you think you'd want to move in with me? Or look at a different house?”

The question surprised Rachel and she paused. Moving her stuff out of her parents house would be different for her and she wasn't sure she wanted the task of moving a whole house with JC going back on tour for three and a half months. “I could live here, JC. I mean, we might redecorate, but I love the house,” she told him after a few minutes.

“Good,” JC leaned in a captured Rachel's lips once more and smiled. “So you're mine then?” he asked as if it was a question.

Rachel raised an eyebrow at JC as if he'd lost his mind. “Yes. Always. What kind of question is that?” she looked at him a little worried, wondering what he was thinking.

“It's an important question,” JC told her, pulling her down with him on the couch so they could stretch out. “One that we'll contemplate on after we lay here for a while.” He smiled as Rachel wrapped her arms around his neck her head on his shoulder. At that moment, JC decided he'd gladly give up touring. His heart was content right where it was even if he didn't know all the answers yet.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“Don't want any,” Joey mumbled, his arms pulling Melissa closer, letting out a snore as he quickly got comfortable again. The pounding noise ensued and he laid there a moment before opening one of his eyes to look at the clock. It said 10:45 and he groaned, carefully untangling himself from the blonde curled up next to him. Joey shoved the extra pillow where he'd been, leaving her asleep while he found a t-shirt and shorts to put on over his boxers. “I hear you, don't break the fucking door down,” he hollered as he went downstairs. He looked through the peep hole and was confused, seeing an older gentleman on the other side of the door. “Can I help you?” Joey asked, opening the door some raising an eyebrow.

“Is Rachel here?” the older man asked, looking at Joey with a raised eyebrow.

“Rachel?” Joey shook his head, chewing on his bottom lip. “I'm Joey...Melissa's-”

“Oh so you're the one that Bass girl is in love with,” his mouth twitched into a smile, his expression softening a bit. “I was looking for my granddaughter. Celeste said she might be with Melissa...” he looked hopeful before suddenly sticking out his hand. “Jack Weatherly.”

“Joey Fatone,” Joey replied, shaking the other man's hand. “No, she's not here. How did you get this address?” Joey asked, wondering if Donald Trump was going to get out of the very nice Cadillac sitting the driveway as well.

“Celeste called Linda, who said you'd moved,” he looked at the house. “Do you know where Rachel is? She hasn't returned any of our phone calls. We're worried.”

Joey studied Rachel's grandfather. The man who had more money than most people made their whole life. Two or three people working doing what Joey did for twenty years, he guessed. He felt arms around him and smiled. “Bambina, we have company,” Joey pulled Melissa around to where he could hug her.

“Oh,” Melissa said, surprised at who it was. “Hi, Mr. Weatherly.”

“Melissa, nice to see you again,” Jack replied, looking her over. “Have you heard from my granddaughter. She seems to have forgotten how to call and her mother is worried.”

“I haven't seen her since we were in Miami,” Melissa told him, not giving out any more information than was necessary. She was going to message Rachel as soon as her grandfather left, telling her that he was on the hunt.

“Did she say anything about going anywhere?” Jack asked, watching them both shake their heads no. “Lance wasn't home either, so I guess they are together...” his voice trailed off. He wasn't sure exactly what was going on, but he'd been around enough to know when he was being given the slip.

“We've been busy getting stuff moved and everything. Rachel and I have talked some but she's having fun having an actual vacation...” Melissa's voice trailed off, giving the elder Weatherly a smile. “We could always come stay with you a couple days..then you won't miss Rachel so much.” Her grin widened when he started shaking his head.

“No, uh, that's quite alright, young lady. I will see if one of her other friends knows where she is,” Jack said, shaking Joey's hand and Melissa's once more. “If you see her, tell her to call her mother.”

Joey and Melissa both watched as Jack Weatherly made his way back to his pristine Cadillac and leave the driveway.

“The shit's about to hit the fan. I'm calling Rachel,” Melissa said as she slipped out of Joey's embrace. She felt him pull her back and she smiled, feeling his lips on her hair. “Morning, Joey,” she said as he walked her into the house and shut the door.

“Morning, Melly,” Joey kissed her once more before letting her go. “I'm calling Lance,” he told her each of them going for their respective cell phones. He couldn't get a hold of Lance and cursed after he left a message. He looked over at Melissa who was silent, Joey guessed, waiting on an answer for the phone.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^^*^*

“He what?” Rachel gasped, sitting up straight out of bed with the covers pooling at her waist. Her eyes went wide and she shoved JC hard who jerked awake. They'd spent the night talking, finally falling asleep around five that morning. Of course that had been after making love a couple of times, falling asleep in one another's arms. “Where was he going?” she asked, panic rising. Rachel didn't want to see her grandfather, knowing he would eventually find her. She listened to Melissa's voice telling her not to worry.

JC blinked, trying to think about what Rachel was saying. He'd been woke up abruptly and his brain was still processing the lack of sleep he'd had. When his mind finally unfogged and he processed words like 'grandfather' and 'searching' and he sat up and pulled Rachel to him, running a hand comfortingly over her shoulders. He frowned when he heard her voice soften and tears in it.

“I was avoiding him for this reason. He'll find some way to find me, Mel. You know that,” Rachel said softly, leaning on JC. All of the good feelings she felt were gone, leaving her deflated. She was scared, knowing how her relatives could be, having heard them talk about others like they were no better than mud on their shoes. Rachel thanked Melissa for letting her know and hit end on her phone and sat there, not sure what to do. “I didn't want them to know yet. Like ever.”

JC dropped a kiss on Rachel's neck. “Are you ashamed of me?” he asked, trying to keep the hurt out of his voice and be as neutral as possible.

“No,” Rachel searched JC's face and swallowed. “I love you JC-”

“Then we can tell your parents, your grandfather...” JC said gently. “I'm not saying they need to know all the nasty details, but I'm not hiding us. Or this,” his hand went to her stomach and his fingers softly caressed Rachel's stomach. “If they don't like it, they don't have to come around.”

“You make it sound so easy,” Rachel replied, wiping tears. Her stomach turned and she pushed JC away so she could make a mad dash for the bathroom. She didn't want to tell her family. It was a selfish reason and she knew it. She just didn't want to hear the reactions from her parents and grandfather, see the disappointment and hear what they would say. How the 'wonderful' Weatherly name would be ruined in this scandal. Flushing the toilet, Rachel turned and reached for a washcloth and got it wet before washing her face and then going for the mouthwash. Having a baby was supposed to a good thing. It hurt when JC asked if she was ashamed of him. By telling him she didn't want her family to know about the baby was essentially shoving JC in the dark as well. When they'd been keeping it a secret from the guys, it had been for a very good reason. To protect Lance and to keep Kristen from finding out anything more.

“Are you alright?” she heard JC ask through the door. Rachel's eyes studied her reflection and tears pricked her eyes.

“I'm fine,” Rachel told him, confirming in her head what was going to happen. She couldn't predict the outcome or what might happen, but she wasn't going to leave herself to be scared of her grandfather or her family any longer. “I think we need to go see my parents,” she told him, blowing out a deep breath, trying not to re-nig on the pep talk she'd just given herself. She studied JC's reflection as he came into the bathroom and pulled her to him. “I'm not ashamed of you, C. It's just that it's easier to avoid them, and save myself the stress of worrying about what they think. I'm old enough now though to do what I want. Marry who I want...have a baby,” she gave him a small smile as he nodded.

“I'll be right beside you the whole time,” JC promised, leaning his chin on her shoulder. “We can get ready and then go. Maybe stop for some breakfast.”

Rachel wrinkled her nose and shook her head. “Maybe for you...” she told him, Her stomach was still a bit queasy and now that they were actually going to tell her family, she was even more nervous. “I know I have to eat, C, just not right now. In a couple hours...Maybe a piece of toast or something,” she relented, seeing him stick his bottom lip out. She had a hard time telling JC no and knew she'd have a hard time telling their baby no, especially if they had a little boy that looked a lot like his daddy.

As Rachel showered, she thought about how the conversation with her parents might go, not sure she wanted to explain all of it just yet. Her parents dealt better with the facts that were now than a long drawn out story. And if she told them first, maybe they would tell her grandfather. She didn't count on that though, the old man always wanted the story again. She turned the shower off and stepped out onto the rug and smiled at JC holding out a towel for her, clad only in his boxers, his face half shaved. “There's a sexy look. All the guys should do that. Go half shaved and see if it creates a phenomenon.”

“Ha,” JC barked a laugh and shook his head as he went back to shaving. “You might get Joey and Chris to do it, but I'm not.” JC planted a kiss on Rachel's cheek as she went by him to the bedroom. “I love you, Rachel.”

“I love you too, JC,” she paused to give him a smile. “Mel thinks you're too skinny. I think you're perfect.”

“This is coming from a girl who named Joey's arms 'Hanz' and 'Franz' a couple years ago. Besides, she's not my type either. I go for the girl who's been around forever that I didn't open my eyes up and notice. I wish I had sooner.”

“And if you had sooner, who knows what might have happened?” Rachel pointed out. “I am happy to be having your baby. And to be marrying you, for this to be happening now.” The towel was wrapped around her and she let it fall to grab her under clothes and then clothes, pulling on her jeans and frowning. They had been snug a couple of weeks ago and now they were tighter. “I guess I need some new jeans soon,” she told JC, giving him a slight but nervous smile. “We're gonna do this...”

“Don't start that,” JC pulled his shirt over his head after pulling on some shorts. “We are gonna do this. We'll be alright. I have thick skin, Rachel Weatherly. I'm in a boy band for crying out loud.”

That statement took all the nervousness out of Rachel's scattered thoughts and made her laugh. Not just because of what JC said, but because he was right. He was in a boy band and had been through a lot more than most guys that had ever been in this position in a way. She'd seen how he handled himself when the boys went through the turmoil with Lou Pearlman and all of the rag magazines that would print up lies just for attention. Rachel shook her head and went to find some flip flops and slipped them on. “You are in a boy band. One of the best ones ever,” she admitted as JC chuckled.

“What are you going to say when you get mad at me?” he asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Backstreet rules, NSYNC drools,” she countered, grinning wide when JC grabbed her wrist and pulled her to him. “I'm just kidding, C,” Rachel told him as he held her close, swallowing hard as he leaned in to kiss her.

“I know you were...I sing better than any of those yay-hoos,” JC murmured, brushing Rachel's hair behind her ear after they'd kissed. “And remember this, if they say anything we don't like, we can always leave. You don't have to tell them anything you don't want to.”

She nodded and held on to JC tighter, hating that it was so emotionally nerve wracking. One moment Rachel thought she could handle it, and now she was clinging to JC's shirt, trying not to cry. “Just promise me you'll love me no matter what they say.”

“Always,” JC promised, holding her close. “Let's go find some breakfast that sounds good and then we can make our way over there.” He'd lie as much as it took to keep Rachel calm. Truth was, he was as nervous as she was. It wasn't like the high he got before going on stage. This was like he guessed someone felt when they went before a firing squad. He didn't say any of this, instead taking Rachel's hand and threading his fingers through hers.


“You can tell you've been around Joey and Chris too long. Everything revolves around food,” Rachel told JC with a smile.

“Not everything,” JC retorted with a grin.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: joey