Author's Chapter Notes:
I realized I had to chapters to update so here you go. Enjoy. If the moon and ocean work for me right and the stars align..we are nearing the end of this story. Or at least on the downhill swing.
"How are you feeling?" Melissa asked as she slipped into the booth next to Rachel. She twirled the straw in her drink after taking a sip.

"Whoever named it morning sickness played one helluva joke," Rachel grabbed her drink. She held the straw away and lifted the glass to her lips. A few dribbles of water touched her lips before she opened her mouth accepting an ice cube, crunching on the coolness. "It's morning. It's afternoon. It's evening. It's a cruel cruel cruel joke."

Melissa blanched feeling for her friend. "You need me to get you another drink?" She nodded toward Rachel's empty drink as she chewed on another ice cube.

Rachel shook her head. "No. Besides JC went to get me a refill."

"So how's everything at," she looked around before leaning forward and lowering her voice. "Casa De Chasez?"

"Slowly sifting through all the stuff that was brought over from my parents; going through what we don't need and rearranging his stuff to mine will fit in. Of course he won't let me lift anything which slows it down. Every hour he makes me take a break and he keeps telling me to eat."

"Awww," Melissa grinned. "Isn't that adorable!"

"Not really; if he keeps telling me to eat, I'll end up weighing two hundred pounds by the time..." she dropped her eyes to her flat belly, "You know."

"Look at the bright side," Melissa's eyes took a teasing glint. "If you keep throwing up, you won't gain as much weight." She giggled seeing her friend wasn't assumed. "But it's cute that he's taking care of you. Have you heard anything from your grandfather?"

"No, thankfully," Rachel sighed leaning back in the booth. "All's been quiet on that front. I haven't even heard from my father."

"I'm sorry Rach," Melissa reached out squeezing her hand. "It's completely messed up. I can't believe your grandfather would offer you that much money to stop seeing JC. Not to mention, having an abortion." She shook her head. "What a fucking asshole."

Rachel hummed in agreement. With her left arm she cradled her stomach and the life she was nurturing inside. The baby may have been unplanned but she could never imagine terminating it; getting rid of it like trash. Even if JC had decided not to, she swallowed, be with her in their lives, she would have kept the baby; raising her son or daughter on her own. Feeling eyes on her and she looked across the room toward the bar. Above the dancing bodies her eyes latched on JC's.

A smile formed on her lips as she stared at her lover. Her heart flip-flopped when he returned her smile. She pressed her hand against her belly and watched as he laughed at something Joey said. Even though they were separated and the music was loud with the bass pumping, she could still hear his laugh in her mind. Boy or girl, she decided, she wanted the baby to have JC's laugh.

"When are you guys going to tell everyone you're dating?" Melissa asked watching her friend's face. It was completely open. She didn't have to turn around to see who Rachel was watching. "Because if you keep looking at him like a love sick puppy, people are going to start to notice."

Rachel snapped her eyes back to Melissa. "I know and I'm usually better than this. But after spending the last few days with just us I've just gotten used to not having to hide how I feel. It's been nice."

"Are you going to be able to slide into the 'friends' role when they go back on tour if you have to?"
"Sort of hoping I won't have to," Rachel said slowly picking at the napkin her drink was sitting on. "We've hidden our relationship until we could tell our families. As far as the world knows, Lance and I have only been broken up for a week now."

"And my heart is still bleeding," Lance spoke as he dropped down into the booth next to Rachel. "Non alcoholic right?" He glanced pointedly at Rachel's empty glass.

"Good ole H-two-O," she smiled at him, scooting over, giving him more room.

"Bleeding heart right," Melissa rolled her eyes. "That why you were just surrounded by no less than three ladies all vying for your attention."

"They didn't do a thing for me."

"I've ruined you for all other women," Rachel laughed and kissed his cheek. She had been slightly worried after ending her 'relationship' with Lance how they would act afterward. It had all been for naught. They slipped right back into their friendship without missing a step. She would be forever grateful for that. She hated to think they had ruined their friendship.

"How are you feeling?" Lance asked turning the conversation to serious for a moment. He scanned the room, grinning when he saw JC look at them. He stretched and wrapped his arms around Rachel's shoulders. When JC's eyes narrowed at him, he winked.

"Stop it," Rachel elbowed him seeing the looks exchanged across the room.

"I didn't know it took this damn long to get a refill on drink," Melissa turned around in the booth finding Joey and JC standing at the bar. She rolled her eyes. Of course. They were deep in conversation with a couple of people. "Want something done you have to do it yourself. Fucking men, I swear. Refill, Brother?" At Lance's nod she slipped from the booth.

"All is right in the world again," Lance said nodding toward his sister.

"Thank God," Rachel said. "You know how many of our problems were solved when they got back together?"

Lance nodded. "And then you go and create a whole mess," he teased.

"I can't do anything easy can I?" Rachel smiled at Lance, her hand brushing with his. She was glad they were still close, even if they weren't together.

"Can't help who you fall in love with."

"Don't I know it," her eyes traveled back to JC again, smiling when he saw him heading back toward the table armed with three drinks. She didn't see Joey or Melissa. Searching further she found them on the dance floor dancing with Holly and Chris. "Where have you been hiding out?"

"Around," Lance said elusively as JC sat the drinks down on the table. He passed Rachel her water and Lance his before sliding into the spot Melissa had vacated.

"Around huh?" Rachel grinned stretching her left leg out in front of her until she hit one of JC's feet. She gave it a nudge, smiling when she felt a return touch. "What's his name?" She bumped shoulders with Lance. Her grin widened when she saw Lance blush. "I was right!" She said triumphantly. "What's his name? Where'd you meet him? When can we meet him? And more importantly, what's he look like?"

"I met him in Miami..."

"So that's why you were so vague about coming back with us," JC spoke. He looked across the booth wishing he and Lance could switch places. He wanted to be sitting next to Rachel; wanting to wrap his arm around her shoulders and hold her to his side. It sucked having to settle for touching their feet together under the darkness of the table. He nudged her foot again, earning a look which he met with a small smile.

"So you met someone in Miami," Rachel crossed her legs. This time when she stuck her leg out she was able to touch JC's knee. Armed with that information, she sat her foot back down on the floor, slipping out of the flat she wore. Re-crossing her leg, she touched him again this time moving her toe along his pant leg.

"And we spent time together; just getting to know each other on the down low and off the grid," he shrugged his shoulders. "Kind of dumb to chance it in a city that we just had a concert in. Anyone could have spotted us. Not like we were doing anything but..."

"We know you'll be careful," JC scooted forward on the bench. The topic wasn't one he wanted anyone to overhear. Not so much for the group's sake because Lance was more important than their careers. "You won't do anything to jeopardize us," he reached below the table finding the foot that had been rubbing his leg. From his new position, sitting almost on the edge of the bench, he was able to rest Rachel's foot on his knee. From there he set about massaging the foot in his hand.

"Are you gonna see him again?" Rachel asked fighting the urge to place her other foot in JC's lap to receive the same treatment.

"Well," Lance swirled the liquid in his drink.

"What?" Rachel pressed.

"He's here isn't he?" JC asked grinning slyly. He laughed when he saw Lance blush again.

"What?" Rachel looked back and forth between the two men. "You brought him here? Well where is he? Don't tell me you brought him out and then left him to fend by himself?" She watched as Lance lowered his head. "Lance! That's no way to treat your boyfriend!"

"Should I make him sit down next to C so I can play footsie with him?" Lance said with a sideways glance at Rachel.

This time it was Rachel's turn to blush. She felt JC give her foot a reassuring squeeze before continuing his movements. "Invite him over Lance. He can hang with us so he's not surrounded by unfamiliar faces and you guys can still talk. Unless you're ashamed of us..."

"Maybe he doesn't want to introduce his new boyfriend to his ex-girlfriend," JC smiled ruefully.

"I don't see why not," Rachel muttered. "I like to think I'm a fantastic ex. I'm not stalking you, selling any of your things on the Internet. I'm not even spreading nasty lies about your sex drive or how small you dick is."

"How I am forever thankful," Lance said dryly.

"Who has a small dick?" Chris asked as he and Holly finally came off the dance floor.

"You, Dawg," Justin grinned joining his friends. "Damn man, I thought you knew."

"I'll drop my pants right here and show you just how big my dick is. It will have you crying tears of envy."

Justin barked with laughter. "You forget man; we share a bus. I've seen your ass naked. Only tears I'll be crying are those of pity."

"What are we crying about?" Joey asked as he came up to the booth, his hand clasped around Melissa's.

"Chris's small dick."

"Oh yeah," Joey nodded. "It is pretty small."

"Fuck you," Chris stated looking at Joey. "You're just jealous because you have the smallest."

"Shit," Joey laughed. "I'm Italian. We're known for our sausages."

"Boys boys boys," Melissa cut in, "There's only one way to settle this." Her eyes met Rachel's and they grinned. "Measure 'em."

"You heard the lady," Rachel said glancing at the men. "Whip 'em out boys. Mel, Holly and I will judge." She felt JC's hand tighten on her foot and she giggled meeting his eyes.

"I'm not drunk enough for this," Joey states grabbing Lance's drink and finishing it off; ignoring Lance's cry of protest.

"You owe me a drink, Fucker," Lance said when Joey sat his empty glass down.

"Is that your pick up line, Bass?" Chris asked as he slid into the booth next to JC. "Move your skinny ass over C."

"Yeah you and Rachel can play grab ass," Justin laughed.

"You're just jealous because no one's grabbing your ass," Rachel smiled sweetly at him. She lowered her foot, slipping back into her shoe before scooting closer to JC as he moved toward the back of the round booth. To make enough room, her left side was pressed up against JC while Lance was close to her right. Holly and Justin joined Chris's side of the booth while Melissa and Joey slid in next to Lance.

"I'll grab your ass later if you want me too," Joey batted his eyes across the table at the youngest band member.

"There are plenty of women here who will be willing to grab my ass and among other things. I don't need you."

"Now you see why I didn't want Michael sitting here?" Lance whispered in Rachel's ear as Joey and Justin took turns insulting one another.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

“So his name's Michael?” Rachel said quietly back. “What's he like?” she grinned, wanting to hear more about Lance's first male love interest.

“He's really nice. An artist...” Lance went on to tell Rachel how they met. He spotted the man over at the bar and knew he needed to get up and see him instead of just sitting with his friends. “Do you want to meet him?” he asked.

“Hell yes,” Melissa chimed in, removing her hand from Joey's. “Move your sweet ass, Fatone. Rachel and I are gonna go meet Lance's man candy.”

“I asked Rachel, not you, twerp.”

Melissa stuck her tongue out at her brother and got up waiting for him and Rachel to follow. “Too bad. As your sister I have to meet him,” she gave Lance a hug and leaned in. “I promise I won't say anything embarrassing or pass immediate judgment.”

“That's reassuring,” Lance rolled his eyes a little and chuckled at Rachel and Melissa both putting their arms around him, like they were escorting him to the bar.


Michael had come knowing Lance was going to hang out with his friends some, a little nervous about meeting them all. He'd watched as the group converged and the way they all interacted. He knew who the guys were, but it still was different hearing Lance talk about them than meeting them. He smiled at the blonde man coming toward him with the two girls at his side. “I'll get their drinks too,” he told the bartender who nodded, turning back to the the trio.

“Hey,” Lance told the dark haired man, giving him a smile. Now he knew what it felt like between Melissa and Joey. Maybe not the deep feelings like they had, but the giddiness of the new feelings love could bring. “I want you to meet two very important women in my life...well, one of them is important just cause when she was little I didn't try and drown her with the garden hose.”

“Jerk,” Melissa said, poking Lance in the stomach.

“This is my little sister Melissa Bass. She's stuck on that big hairy guy named Joey. Some day they're gonna get married and have kids that are half Wookie.”

Michael chuckled at Melissa's face turning red and held out his hand. “I'm Michael Turchin. And I promise I won't believe everything he says about you. I have a twin sister so I know how it goes.”

“Very nice to meet you, Michael. And for the record, I like you already. I am sure what he's said is a lie.” Melissa chuckled as Lance shook his head.

Rachel snickered and looked at her best friend, “Yeah right. Most of what Lance says is the truth. You just don't want to admit it.”

“I want to know if the hickey from Kenickie thing was real,” Michael said as the girls broke out into laughter.

“Trust me, you don't want to know,” Lance said, pulling Rachel up beside him. “And this is my other blonde and one of my best friends, Rachel Weatherly.”

Rachel shook Michael's hand. “You don't have to worry..well, you do. As long as he's happy, I'm happy.”

“That sounds like a reasonable request,” Michael replied with a grin. “I guess I should worry since the guys haven't come over,” he took a glance at the table where the remaining guys and Holly were sitting talking.

“Not at all,” Lance reassured his boyfriend, putting a hand comfortingly on his back. “I wanted you to meet my sister and Rachel first, that way you wouldn't be scarred for life meeting the guys.”

“They can't be that bad,” Michael rolled his eyes at Lance.

“That's what they all think,” Melissa told him. “Besides, we're the sane ones.”

“You might as well let him meet them. No one will bite. Well...” Melissa bit her lip and colored slightly.

“No one wants to hear about you and Joey's sex life. Ever,” Rachel told her, giving Michael a grin. “We promise to keep them on their best behavior.”

“That's the pot calling the kettle black,” Lance muttered as the four of them walked to the table. He was nervous and at the same time glad that this part in his life wasn't going to be a secret from his friends. To the rest of the world, Michael would be a friend for now, since they were just getting started in their relationship. His heart swelled with pride when Joey stood up with a huge grin on his face and reached out for Michael's hand, not batting at eye. That Joey was the first person he'd told he was gay and his best friend had never treated him any differently than before he'd said those words.

“I'm Joey,” Joey shook Michael's hand and gave him a smile.

“Michael Turchin,” Michael said, giving Joey a grin in return. “It's nice to finally meet you.”

“Well, Lance was sort of vague on the whole thing, but we can forgive him at least this once,” Joey replied giving his best friend a wink and reassuring grin.

Lance and Michael pulled up a couple chairs at the open end of the table so they could all sit and talk. Another round of drinks was ordered, along with food.

“Are you serious?” Rachel raised an eyebrow at the plate of nachos that was sat down in the middle of the table, along with hot wings and another pitcher of beer and water. “This is the third plate of nachos.”

“Don't judge. We're growing men,” Chris said, grabbing a chip with cheese and a jalepeno on it.

“Dig in before it's gone,” Justin told Michael. “There's not time to be shy, man. As long as you don't take Rachel's Reeses Pieces, your life will be just fine.”

Michael looked from Justin to Rachel, smiling slightly. “Do I even want to ask?”

“Justin thought it would be funny to leave an empty bag sitting in the cabinet. So I ate all of his candy. And his beef jerky. His pop was all gone,” she smiled sweetly at Justin who gave her a dirty look. “By the time I was done eating it or giving it away, he didn't have anything left on the bus.”

“Ruthless. I like it,” Michael replied, reaching for a chip.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: joey