Author's Chapter Notes:
Okay I know, an update!!! Sorry it took so long but I have wonderful news! I have finished Between Friends and am posting the end of it tonight!! Thank you so much for reading and reviewing. I have enjoyed taking you on this Joey and Mel journey.
Joey wiped the sweat off his face, glaring at Wade's back as they ran through the show again. They all knew the moves, this was to tighten them up after a few weeks off. “Some of us have better things to do today than this, Robison,” he said grabbing a bottled water.

“Like what, Fatone?” Wade gave his friend a cool look in the mirror.

“Book a room for the honeymoon,” he replied, rolling his eyes when the rest of the guys started whistling and giving cat calls. “Remember that's your sister, Lance.” Joey grinned when Lance just shut his eyes and shook his head.

“Nevermind I said anything,” Lance muttered, he watched Joey sigh heavily and check his phone. He knew they had another week of practice and knew the closer it came to the wedding day the less his best friend would pay attention. “Wade, I'll make you a deal. If Joey gets all the steps right the whole run through, you give him next Thursday off. Actually, you give us all off.”

“Why would I do that?” Wade asked, leaning on the mirrored wall, looking at Lance.

“Because Joey really does have a lot to do. And he's helping my sister plan the wedding.”

“What color are the napkins, dude?” Justin asked, a huge grin on his face, figuring Lance was just trying to get them out of rehearsals for one day.



“Silver,” Joey replied without batting an eye. “Mel and Rachel are doing the dress, the cake and groom's cake, bridesmaids dresses and the church. I told her I have the reception and the honey moon and whatever I pull off besides that um, the rehearsal dinner. We have suit fittings after this. We're meeting my dad, Jim Bass, Steve, and David over there.”

“Have you fell and bumped your head? The guy is just supposed to show up...” Chris said, looking at Joey like he'd suddenly gone crazy.

“Oh, and the flowers too.”

Five men all looked at Joey and he shrugged. “Don't hate the player.” He got out his phone and pressed a couple of buttons and smiled. “Wanna see the bouquet?”

“At the risk of sounding like my mother...yeah,” Justin said, stepping up and looking over Joey's shoulder. “That's sick. You picked that out?”

Joey nodded as the other guys crowded around him. “My dad knows the guy who owns the flower shop and I went in and saw what he had and could get. And Mel has one less thing to worry about. Besides that, he told me about this great little get away that has no cell phone reception. So you guys can't call and bug us for a couple days.”

“All of those in favor of no one sharing a bus with the newlyweds raise your hand,” Lance said as the other three men of NSYNC put their arms up. “I have no desire to hear your mating call.”

“I'm sure it sounds like a flock of dying geese,” JC said, making them all groan.

“How did you even get Rachel in bed, man? That would have messed up your corners you could bounce a quarter off of.” Justin stuck his tongue out at JC.

“I have an idea, guys..Let's rehearse once more and then I will let you go early. Since Joey has to go pretend to be David Tuttera,” Wade told them, hoping to get the concentration back on the task at hand. He saw Joey roll his eyes and grinned. “Just remember, man. You have more mochismo than most men out there. Cause I wouldn't set foot in a flower shop.”

“And that's the reason you're single,” Chris told him as they got back into position to dance.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“I'm nervous about the flowers,” Melissa confessed to Rachel as they pulled up to the flower shop. They weren't doing the flowers but she wanted some to go in the church. They'd been planning for a week and it still looked like they hadn't done anything but get her dress and picked out bridesmaids dresses. The appointment for the cakes was tomorrow and she realized when people planned weddings why they did it with a while to spare. She and Joey had spent the first day picking out wording for the invitations and then she'd handed that task off to Janine, who promised it would be done and it was but still. It was nerve wracking.

“It will be fine. Joe Senior knows the guy. He won't let you have ugly wedding flowers,” Rachel reassured her, hoping that she was right. She had no idea what Joey was thinking being in charge of that part of it. He'd come strutting in like a peacock, telling them that he'd done the flowers. When she and Mel introduced themselves, the older man got a huge grin on his face and started jabbering in Italian before switching to broken English and pulling them both back to the cooler and pointing to a case that said 'Fatone wedding'.

“You see, Joseph want beautiful, bellisima like his Bambina. I make you something to take home today..The rest ready next week. And a surprise,” Bartolo said, handing Melissa the bouquet. “Dees real..you cake flowers real..rest..you take home. Silk flowers, very expensive,” he added, reaching next to Rachel and pulling out a smaller bouquet. “You like?”

Melissa and Rachel both stood there, staring at the flowers. Deep red asian lilies were paired with white and light purple roses with greenery. Little crystals were stuck in at various points to give it a sparkle to go with the silver ribbon that adorned the stems and kept it together. It was beautiful. And you couldn't tell they weren't real.

“Joey picked this out?” Melissa half whispered, stunned. It wasn't that she didn't think he could, just that it was better than she could have done.

“Si. Yes, he picked out and told me to do best job I ever do,” the man smiled and herded the girls back out to the front of the store. “You tell him come pick up boutineers next Thursday and I set up everything else and deliver Friday to the church.”

“Thank you,” Rachel and Melissa both said, walking back out to their vehicle and getting in, neither of them saying a word for a few moments.

“I don't know what planet Joey's from, but right now I think he is Superman,” Rachel said after a moment, looking at the bouquets Melissa was holding as she pulled out of the parking spot. “What else did we have to do?”

“The cakes are tomorrow. And Holly said she was taking care of the catering. The appointment is at 1:30. And my dress fitting is at 3 today. Joey and the guys go to try on their suits after that. It's going to be sort of an old world feel.”

“I know,” Rachel told her, not telling Melissa she'd told her that about three different times in the past week. She knew it was nerves and excitement. And the best part was that the dresses had complimented the girls even though they were all different heights and shapes and sizes, so Rachel wasn't as worried her baby bump would stick out as much as she thought it might. “Don't forget you and Joey have to go get the marriage license sometime before Thursday.”

“I know. We're going tomorrow,” Melissa's phone chirped and she smiled. “Sofia Fatone will be in on Wednesday, along with some cousins from New York. That's from Janine. And my grandparents will be coming from Mississippi along with other relatives. It might not be a huge crowd, but it will be fun.”

“I never doubted that for a minute,” Rachel told her friend as she made her way towards the pastry shop. “You and Joey have the streamline on fun.”

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Melissa looked at the garment bags hanging on the door of the closet. She smiled a little, thinking of the dresses. She hadn't meant to get another dress, but it had called to her when the girls had all went to the dress shop. They went with the shoes she'd seen that were red like the lilies Joey had picked out. Those were in a bag along with some new make up from Ulta. That had been an early wedding present from Janine.

Her mind wandered and she jumped when she saw Joey standing there with a garment bag as well. “How long have you been standing there?” she asked, watching him smile.

“A few minutes. You looked happy so I wasn't gonna interrupt. Hopefully you were thinking about me...”

Melissa watched Joey lay his things on the bed and then went to him, pulling him to her. She pulled his face to hers and kissed him softly. “I'm always thinking about you, Fatoney.”

“Are you excited?” Joey asked her as she nodded, leaning in as his lips met hers once more. “Let's go downstairs and watch some television. I brought home Mr. Chow's...we need a night to just unwind,” he held fingers to her lips as she started to protest. “Bambina..I know we have things to do. I don't figure we will get much sleep in the next few days..I just need you to sit with me on the couch and relax with me.”

Joey knew if he didn't make her, Melissa would start freaking out about things that weren't done. Worrying about what they'd given to their friends and relatives to do and drive herself and him crazy. He stuck out his bottom lip and pouted, watching her sigh and finally nod.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“I'm getting married today.”

“If you say that one more time, I'm going to smother you with a pillow and you will be getting buried instead of married, Mel,” Rachel whispered harshly, although there was a smile on her face.

“It's four in the morning. I wonder if Joey's awake...” Melissa went for her phone and then frowned when Rachel plucked it off the nightstand and tossed it on the side of the bed she was on. “What was that for?”

“Please, for the love of everything that is holy. Go to sleep. Joey's asleep. And if he's not he should be. You will be worn out by the time the wedding gets here and I will have to deal with you being a whiny nagging pain. Take a nap.”

Melissa sighed, knowing Rachel was right. She'd slept for a few hours and was awake. It was nerves and excitement. She was still in awe that everything except for them getting ready was done. She and Joey had spent the time the day before packing clothes. Not just for a honeymoon but for the tour. It wasn't the most fun thing they'd ever done together, but it was one less thing to worry about. Friends and family had arrived, taking up space at respective houses and a hotel, while she and Joey were separated for the night. That was another reason she couldn't sleep well. Rachel was not a cuddler, and besides that, wasn't a big hairy goateed guy. “You aren't as fun to sleep with as Joey,” she finally said softly as Rachel gave her the finger.

“I could steal you away from him in a red hot minute,” Rache replied. “However, you aren't my type. Too blonde.”

“Goodnight, Weatherly.”

Rachel picked up her phone and turned to where the screen wasn't visable to Melissa. She smiled as she typed out a message to JC.

'Hope you all are getting more sleep than we are. I love you.'

Her phone buzzed quickly and she smiled wider.

'The groom is finally passed out. He had us working. Let's just say it will be surprising later today. Gonna get some sleep. Love you.'

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Lance knocked on the door of Joey's house, not sure who would answer. He knew it would be a female, but from whose family was the surprise. He smiled when he saw Rachel. “I was told to come check on the bride,” he said, pulling her in for a hug. “How's the maid of honor?”

Rachel hugged Lance. “I'm fine. How are you?”

“Well, Joey woke up around noon and got the rest of us up. So far it's been nothing but video games and an ongoing pool tournament. Among other things,” Lance smiled and held up a small package. “Where's my sister?” he asked, seeing more women in the living room.

“I think she's in the bedroom,” Rachel said.

Lance made his way up the stairs and knocked on the door, opening it when his sister said come in. “How are you?” he said, smiling at her surprised look. “I came bearing gifts,” he said, going to sit down next to her on the edge of the bed. “You're awful quiet.”

Melissa looked at her brother and smiled, leaning on him. “I'm trying hard not to be nervous. And I'm so excited. I'm afraid I won't remember anything later today. I'm getting married, Lance. To Joey!” She couldn't help it, the tears came them and she was glad when her brother just held her.

“You two deserve one another. To drive us all crazy for the rest of our lives,” he teased, then got serious when she looked up at him. “He asked that you open your present with me here. He wanted to hear about your reaction.” Lance handed her the package that was wrapped.

Melissa fingered the silver wrapping paper with the white ribbon and pulled out the small card and smiled. “This is for your 'something old'. It came from my father when he couldn't wear it any more. I wore it until we went to Europe, I'm not sure you ever saw it. Either way, now it is yours, Bambina mia. Never forget that you have my heart,” she read, looking at Lance.

A jewelry box was revealed and Melissa opened it and blinked. It was a bracelet
that looked very old and said 'Fatone' on it. She smiled and picked it up. “It's beautiful,” she told Lance, slipping it on. It was almost too big, but then she watched him pull a smaller package out.

“These go with it,” Lance said, watching her open the charms. He chuckled, watching her open the fasteners and put them on. One was a heart and the other was a ring. “Here,” Lance reached for them and helped his sister put them on. “There's more, but I'm sworn to secrecy.”

“You suck..” Melissa shoved him and stuck her tongue out before looking at her present. “I wasn't sure what to get Joey...” her voice trailed off and she went to her nightstand and opened the drawer and pulled out an envelope with Joey's name on it. “Take this to him. And tell him I love him and I can't wait to see him later.”

A knock came to the door and Janine stuck her head in. “I hate to break this up, but we have to get to the salon so we can all look hot. No men allowed.”

Lance got up and took the envelope from his sister. “I'll tell Joey you loved the bracelet. See you later this evening, Bass.”

“You only have a few more hours to call me that, then it's Fatone!” Melissa yelled at him.

“I thought you were going to hyphenate it,” Linda said to her daughter who shook her head.

“As much as I loved being a Bass, I'm excited to be a Fatone.”

Holly laughed and shook her head. “You wouldn't care what Joey's last name was, as long as you were marrying him.”

“This is true. But now I can legally claim him as mine.”

Rachel groaned and looked at her best friend. “Remind me again why I'm going on tour with you? I'll never see you.”

“Yes you will..”

“Joey's not that good in bed,” Sofia Fatone spoke up with a grin. “He has to rest sometime.”

All the women were at a loss for words as the older woman smiled. It was Louise who spoke up next.

“If he was that good in bed they would have eloped.”

“Dear God, please bless the grandmothers, for they know not what they say. And that now I will not be able to look at Joey tonight without laughing.”

“There's a confidence builder for the honeymoon,” Rachel told her as Janine stuck her fingers in her ears.

“I'm just hoping for a grandbaby,” Phyllis said as she patted Melissa's cheek. “No pressure.”

“I'm just calling Joey and telling him to meet me at the courthouse in an hour,” Melissa told them all, a smile on her face. “Between sex jokes from grandmothers and baby stuff from the next generation down, I will be lucky not to have Joey lock himself in the bathroom.”

“I hope you get video of all this.” Holly burst out laughing when Melissa gave her a dirty look. “Okay we give. Let's get to the salon, woman. We gotta get you married.”

“You make it sound so wonderful now,” Melissa said, gathering up her phone and charger and her garment bags. It looked like she was moving and smiled when Bartolo pulled up in the van, flanked by another car. “You made it just in time.”

“I know, I run late but I am here. The back is unlocked yes?” he asked, watching Melissa nod. “You come home to a beautiful surprise. Your flowers are already at the church,” the older man kissed her cheek and then greeted the other women the same way, speaking to Phyllis in Italian.

“You know, his Italian doesn't sound the same as Joey's,” Rachel pointed out as they got into a vehicle.

“That's because Joey yells in Italian when he gets mad. And the rest you don't get to hear.”

“Bass, my ears are going to bleed. And baby Chasez doesn't wanna hear this.”

Melissa looked at the slight baby bump and grinned. “I'm sure I'm not the only that's going to warp this kid. There is Uncle Chris.”

The conversation as they went was light and fun, with Melissa excited. She pulled out her phone and sent a text off to Joey, telling him that she loved him and couldn't wait to see him later.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Joey grinned when his phone buzzed. He was about to respond when Justin plucked his phone from his hands. “Give that back you little shit,” he growled as Justin laughed.

Justin just smirked and read the message in an overly feminine voice. “I love you so much. I can't wait to see you later and marry you.”

“That's so sweet..and kinda nauseating,” JC teased.

“You're getting married next, Chasez. You'll be a damn wreck,” Joey pointed out as JC wouldn't meet his gaze.

“What are we gonna do for the next couple of hours? I mean, all we have to do is get dressed,” Chris asked from his spot on the couch.

“It's up to the groom,” Steve said, pulling Joey into a headlock. “What are you gonna do today? I mean, we've wasted most of the day away sleeping cause you are a slave driver.”

“It was for a good cause, dipshit,” Joey said, punching Steve in the gut.

“I got fifty on Joey,” Lance said, walking through the door. “And I have something for you.” Lance held up the envelope and smiled at his friend.

Joey shoved Steve hard and got away from him. “Yeah. Did she like her present?” he grinned, waiting for an answer.

“Its on her wrist, as well as the charms,” Lance replied as Joey nodded.

“What is it?” Justin asked, standing over Joey's shoulder. “A love letter?”

Joey lifted the flap on the envelope and opened it, pulling the letter out. A picture fell out and he picked it up. It was a polaroid picture of him and Melissa. A much younger version, both of them smiling.

He unfolded the letter and started reading, looking up at the guys and then down at the paper again.

“What's wrong?” Steve asked, watching Joey just stare.

Joey shook his head, letting out a small laugh as he used the back of his hand to wipe tears. “I never thought I'd turn into some puss on my wedding day, but here I am..” he cleared his throat and looked down at the paper once more. “This is our first picture together. It took me a while to find it, buried beneath all the others. I never thought about it, but we were so young then. And I think somewhere along the way I gave my heart to you early on because I knew it would be safe. It was a crush at first, but I fell in love with the New York boy. The one who would sing me songs on a whim and call me in the middle of the night just to say hi. You made me feel special. Like I wasn't just someone tagging along with Lance. I am sure it felt that way at times. … however, today, I am marrying my best friend. I love you, Joseph Anthony Fatone, Junior. And I am so happy I get to be your wife.”

Jim Bass looked at Joey and smiled, putting an arm around his soon to be son in law. “You know you are family already. And if it were anyone else, I might have reservations about my baby girl getting married. I get the feeling she will be pulling me down the aisle to get to you.”

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*


“How do I look, Pop?” Joey asked as his father finished pinning the boutonniere to his suit. He was nervous and excited, hoping that he wouldn't forget his vows he'd wanted to say.

“You look good. Like you're ready to be married,” Joe Senior told his youngest son, smiling at him. “I will finally get another daughter to dote on,” he said, straightening Joey's tie.

“Come on, Fatones, we got five minutes,” Chris knocked on the door and yelled.

“The house looks like a war zone hit it,” he said, looking at the garment bags and clothes in the guest room of his parents house. “I'll make sure the housekeeper knows to come here and clean.”

“Just go get married. I know how to clean.”

“Since when? Mom finally whipped you into shape,” Joey teased his father as they went out. Joey grabbed his cell phone, keys, wallet and sunglasses. His and Melissa's suitcases were already packed in her Mustang so they could leave from their house to go on their honeymoon. “Let's rock and rolla and lose controla.”

Chris laughed as they went out the door. “Sometimes, I don't know who's dorkier, you or Mel.”

“Now they're getting married. Their kids are going to be warped,” Lance replied from the backseat, laughing when Joey flipped him the bird.

“That kid better have Mel's looks,” Steve remarked.

“Be jealous, assholes,” Joey grinned wide, glad the older men were all riding in a different vehicle. “Cause tonight, I'm fucking Lance's sister.”

A chorus of cussing and gagging sounds was made as the whole car fell silent. Joey just laughed, turning up the radio singing along. Nothing could dampen his mood as they drove toward the church. He was beyond ready to have Melissa be his wife.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: joey