Author's Chapter Notes:
This is the last chapter before the epilogue. Yes, I cried writing it.
Edgar looked over the church and then at his wife, who was talking with one of Joey's relatives. Instead of sitting on one side or the other, they were told to sit on either side, get to know one another because they were going to be family. Or as one of the New York Fatone's said “Familia”. Flowers were everywhere and he was even more impressed to find out they were silk.

“One of the cousins said there was something before the ceremony,” Louise whispered, watching her husband nod.

The screen that was at the front of the church for use during worship came to life and the small whispers that had been going on got quiet when they saw something happening.

'A Bass-Fatone production. Filmed and edited by Steve Fatone. Directed by JC Chasez.'

“Oh my,” Sofia Fatone grinned when she saw her youngest grandson, humming a song as he skips along in the rain.

'I'm singin' in the rain, just singin' in the rain, what a glorious feeling I'm happy again' his baritone voice rings out as he goes along, getting to a door and the music stops and he knocks.

The door opens and he sees Chris's face.

“You're going to be late for your own wedding. What were you doing?” he asks, pulling him inside and the screen goes dark for a moment.

It comes back with Melissa and her wedding party around her.

“How do you feel, Mel?” Janine asks, and Melissa shrugs as she applies some lipstick and then blows a kiss to the picture of Joey taped to her mirror.

“I feel pretty. Oh so pretty. I feel pretty and witty and gay...and I pity, any girl who isn't me today,” she sang part of the song from Westside story, as the girls help her finish getting ready.

'See you in a few' the last lines said before it started playing instrumental music and rolling through a set of pictures of the couple together.

*^*^*^*^*^*^

“You have Joey's ring?” Melissa asked Rachel, looking when Rachel showed her that it was tied onto her small bouquet. “And I look okay?”

“You look gorgeous, Mel..don't panic. Joey wouldn't care if you walked out naked, though it might scar the rest of us,” she teased, glad when Melissa cracked a smile. “I'm leaving you in some capable hands,” she told her, going to answer the door when Jim Bass knocked.

“Hi Daddy,” Melissa said, hugging him tight. Her mother had been there until she had to go be seated by Lance. “I'm alright..just..excited and nervous...” she admitted, trying not to cry.

“Why are you nervous?” Jim asked, grabbing a kleenex and dabbing her eyes. “Everyone out there knows and loves you and Joey. We've all been waiting for this....” he looked at his daughter, thinking back to when she was little and she needed him to tell her there were no monsters under the bed. Or later when he took her school with Linda for the first day. “I don't feel like I am losing you. Yes, you are marrying Joey. And you will have a new last name..but I promise you there is nothing to be nervous about,” he smiled when she nodded and took a deep breath. “Ready to go?” he asked.

Melissa looked in the mirror once more and smiled at her reflection before picking up her bouquet. “Joey picked these out, aren't they gorgeous?” she said of the flowers.

“They are. And I think he did a good job of picking out the woman...but I'm biased,” Jim replied. “Just don't look at your mother or grandmothers. They are crying already.”

Melissa rolled her eyes and chuckled a little as they walked arm in arm down the small hallway, then faced the doors of the chapel. She swallowed and took a deep breath, looking over at her father and then smiled when the doors opened. It was then everything else just sort of faded when the music started and she spotted Joey.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“The bride and groom have elected to say their own vows.” The minister nodded toward Melissa.

Melissa had tried very hard not to cry and was losing that battle hearing Rachel sniffle and Joey having tears in his eyes since she was handed off to him from her father. That had been a bittersweet moment in itself, since instead of just handing her off, her father hugged Joey and told him that he loved him.

“My Joey...coming up with these words was hard, because how do you describe the way I feel about you? You are my heart. When something is wrong, I look to you to fix it, to weather me through whatever storm comes. I promise that I will do my best to do the same for you. God has blessed me with one of the most caring men to look after me for the rest of my life,” Melissa let one tear slip down her cheek and reached out to wipe one of Joey's. “I promise to be yours in sickness and health, for richer or poorer, for better or worse...I will love you until death do us part.” She smiled a little and leaned in. “Your turn, I love you.”

Joey quickly kissed her cheek. “Not fair. I love you too,” he whispered as he straightened up and looked at the woman who was standing in front of him. The woman who had his heart and would forever. He looked out at the crowd and then back at her, taking a deep breath. “I can honestly say five years ago when I met the girl Lance had tagging along with him to recording that I would be here. I was going to stay single...” he paused and swallowed, willing himself not to cry. “And then love happened. I found my world turned upside down and I thank God every day that I have you, Bambina mia. I promise to love you, honor you, take care of you through everything that life throws at us.”

Phyllis Fatone wiped her eyes as rings were exchanged and then slipped her hand through her husband's.

“I now pronounce you man and wife. Joey, you may kiss your bride.”

Joey pulled Melissa to him, smiling. “You're mine now, Mrs. Fatone,” he said softly as he pressed his lips on hers. He could hear the cheers and whistles and clapping as they kissed. He broke it off only to kiss her once more.

“I love you, Mr. Fatone,” Melissa replied, running a hand down one side of his face lovingly. She couldn't think of anything that made her happier than this moment. Slipping her arm through his, they made their way slowly back down the aisle.

“Welcome to the family cara mia,” Sofia Fatone said as she hugged the young girl. “Now comes the fun part,” she whispered with a knowing grin, reaching over for her grandson.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
“Oh wow,” Melissa looked out from inside the kitchen where she and Joey had come to stand to be introduced while their friends and family were starting to enjoy the drinks and appetizers. She grinned at Joey, loving that the decorating had went from outside into their kitchen. Silk flowers were on the table where cards and presents were stacked. Her eye caught writing on one of the envelopes and she pointed to it. “I love that.”

Joey looked to where she was pointing and nodded. 'Joey and Melissa Fatone' it said and he leaned in and kissed her once more. “We're married,” he told her, still not sure if his feet were touching the ground or not. The wedding had went off almost perfectly, not without some little hiccups, but it had been wonderful.

“I know. I'm still waiting to be woken up from this dream.” Melissa stuck her tongue out at Rachel who walked by and made a face at her before motioning them to come out. She slipped her arm through Joey's as they went out on the porch greeted by claps and whistles.

“Ladies and gentlemen, for the second time tonight, let's give it up for the newlyweds. Mister and Misses Joey Fatone, Junior,” Steve said, garnering more applause. “And just for the record, Mel, you look good as a Fatone.”

“Suck up,” Joey hissed to his brother, the smile not leaving his face. He didn't let his bride leave his side as they made their way to the head table, their friends sitting on either side of them. Joey hoped that someone was taking a lot of pictures. He didn't want to forget a moment of it.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

“I love you,” Melissa told Joey, her arms around him as the danced slowly to the band playing. The night had been unbelievable. The food had been incredible, along with the drinks. Everyone was having a great time out on the dance floor and visiting at various tables. However, they'd not danced to a formal 'wedding song'.

Joey smiled and leaned in and kissed his wife. “I love you too, Bambina,” he said. He caught JC's eye over her head and nodded slightly. “Stay here. I gotta go for a minute.” He slipped from her arms and made his way to the stage where the band was playing, along with his band mates. He grabbed a microphone and grinned out at the crowd of family and friends. “Well...last night I was trying to come up with a wedding song for me and Mel to dance to...”his voice trailed off and he looked at his wife. “And, you wouldn't believe this, but I couldn't pick one. How do you pick one song that means everything you want to say? So I came up with this...”

Rachel slipped up next to Melissa while Joey was talking and handed her a kleenex and put an arm around her. “You'll probably need this,” she whispered with a half smile, her kleenex balled up already. JC had halfway spilled the beans about what Joey was planning and being hormonal hadn't helped. She'd bawled on his shoulder, then smacked him hard for making her cry.

“If my brother is already crying, you can believe it,” Melissa pointed out, looking at Lance, who was trying hard to keep himself together. When Joey started singing, she understood why.

“Baby you'll find, there's only one love, yours and mine...” Joey started out, pausing a moment before stopping completely. “But then I thought..that's not the beginning of how I feel..”

There was a full size keyboard and Joey sat down and adjusted the microphone. “Just for the record, no one cried last night. But we were all dog assed tired,” he added as the crowd chuckled. “I may cry..so..at least I don't have mascara on. Sorry ladies.”

“No New Year's Day to celebrate, no chocolate candy hearts to give away. No firsts of spring, no song to sing. In fact, here's just another ordinary day. No April rain, no flowers bloom, no wedding Saturday within the month of June..But what it is is something true, made up of these three words that I must say to you. I just called to say I love you...I just called..to say how much I care..I just called to say I love you. And I mean it from the bottom of my heart..”

Justin, Chris, JC and Lance harmonized for the chorus and then paused as Joey got up and grabbed the microphone. “And then that wasn't good enough.” He smiled at his friends, wondering what his wife would think as he launched into a medley of songs.

“Oh..my..” Melissa's hand covered her mouth and she watched Joey smile at her. She dabbed at her eyes with the tissue and watched them all sing. She heard Lance sing and stuck her tongue out at him. What surprised her the most was Justin. Justin had tear tracks down his face but was singing his heart out. “Remind me of this when he makes me so mad I can't see straight,” she leaned over and told Rachel, who just nodded.

Joey left the rest of the men on stage and went to his wife. “I think I owe you a dance,” he said, pulling her back to him. “Surprised, Bambina?”

“So what is our official song?” Melissa asked after the song had ended and applause and whistles were loud.

Joey just gave her a grin as “Selfish” started and the remaining four men of NSYNC were on stage. “I still couldn't pick one song..” he confessed as they danced.

Selfish morphed into How Deep Is Your Love. Chris's counter tenor rang out as he took the lead before the music changed. You Rock My World started and Joey did a little Michael Jackson move as Justin sang, grinning at them.

“Wait, wait, wait...” JC interrupted, looking very stern at Joey. “A Michael Jackson song? That's how you feel about her?” he asked as everyone looked on.

“What's wrong with that, C?” Joey asked as JC shook his head again.

“That is not the song that makes me think of you and Mel..” JC replied as the other three guys started griping. “We need to show you...not just tell you..”

Joey looked slightly confused and then a white sheet was lit up with a picture of him and Melissa. It had been strategically placed behind the band and did double duty as a backdrop. Then the music started and he started shaking his head. “Damn..” he said, listening to JC sing as he watched the pictures flicker through.

“If I had taken the time to write down a few lines, every time that you crossed this heart of mine, and put them all in a book, how much time would that have took...

Melissa sniffled and then glanced at Joey who had tears running down his face. “I think we're supposed to be dancing,” she whispered, not moving, just holding her husband's hand tightly and looking at the pictures. She wondered where they all had come from. A lot were ones she didn't have.

“A beautiful song and it starts with your name, written my way into fortune and fame. But I have no regrets for not doing enough..I was too busy being in love, yes I was too busy being in love.”


*^*^*^*^^*^*^*

“You look tired,” JC told Rachel as they slow danced. He'd lost his jacket and tie over an hour ago and Rachel's heels had come off as well. It was going on almost midnight and he knew everyone was having a good time, since no one had left.

“I am,” Rachel confessed, leaning her head on his shoulder. “I was up at oh my god thirty keeping Mel off the phone. And then today was...” she smiled when she spotted the bride and groom dancing and laughing. “Today was wonderful.” It had been crazy trying to plan a wedding in such a short amount of time, but it was worth it to see her friends smiling and happy.

“Let's go sit down then,” JC said, pulling Rachel out to the backyard past the tables and to the reflection pond that was lit up with tea light candles and small twinkling rope lights. “You sure you're ready to go on tour?” he asked, concerned about her welfare and their baby.

“I'm ready, C. I promise. Just let me sleep all day tomorrow and I'll be bright eyed and bushy tailed to get on the bus. I still can't believe we helped pull this off,” she said, shaking her head a little. Rachel lounged in JC's arms, sighing contentedly. “No matter how much planning, there's always something that goes wrong. Even if it's a little something...”

“True,” JC said, adjusting Rachel so that he could see her face. “I mean, plans don't always go the way you think they should. I mean, I've been wracking my brain for a while to figure out how I wanted to do this...” he took a breath and grinned when she looked confused slightly.

Rachel's heart sped up when JC moved to get on one knee in front of her. She could see JC's face and bit her lip, holding back tears when she saw him blinking back his own.

“Rachel, I tried to plan out how things would go since I was little. Forever the perfectionist...” he paused and chuckled. “And you were always around with Lance and Mel. I didn't plan on falling in love with you, but it happened and I am so deliriously happy. Add to that we're having a baby...a blessing from God. And I have just one question for you. Will you marry me?” JC pulled out a very nice diamond ring from his pocket and held it up.

“Y..Yes,” Rachel choked out, pulling JC to her for a heated kiss. She let him go when she heard cat calls and whistles from some of the group. She let JC slip the ring on her finger and grinned at him. “I love you, C.”

“I love you,” JC leaned in and kissed her once more. He wasn't sure the night could get any better. His friends had gotten married and he was now engaged.

“Let's offer up a big congratulations to JC and Rachel...” Chris said into a microphone a few minutes later after all of the squealing and hugging and back slapping had been done. He held up a glass of wine. “Rumor has it they're engaged. What happened to us, Rach?” he asked, a pout on his face.

“Keep dreaming, Kirkpatrick,” Rachel shouted back at him with a smile on her face and accepted his hug. “You know I love you Chris,” she told him with a laugh as he pretended to cry on her shoulder.

“I know,” he said, “I just gotta give you shit. Marrying Chasez. You deserve it.”

“Well, two-fifths of NSYNC just went off the market in one fell swoop,” Lance remarked, smiling at Michael as they sat watching the festivities.

“You jealous any?” Michael asked, his fingers wound through Lance's.

“In a way that I can't be out with you yet...but that time will come I'm sure,” he smiled at the younger man. “And now my sister has to put up with Joey farting in the bathroom and not turning on the fan. I will tell her payback is a bitch.”


“I love you, Melissa Fatone,” Joey half whispered, grinning at Melissa, pulling her to him and kissing her softly on the mouth. He still couldn't believe they were married. The marriage license was signed, with Phyllis agreeing to take it to the Courthouse as soon as it opened Monday morning. That thought didn't really matter though as he kissed his wife in their bedroom. They'd come inside and upstairs to change to get ready and leave on their short honeymoon and Joey wasn't going to miss an opportunity to kiss her. He pulled away and was surprised when she pulled him back to her. “What, Bambina?”

Melissa nuzzled Joey's nose with hers and smiled, kissing him once more. “Want me to help you get undressed?” she asked when she broke off the kiss and he chuckled. She could tell he almost said yes when she batted her eyes and stuck out her lower lip.

“I don't think it would be a good idea,” Joey said, pulling at the knot in his tie. “That reception was killer.”

“You were amazing,” Melissa told her husband, turning around so he could unzip her dress. She smiled at his warm hands on her back for a moment. “I am sure our backyard will look like we had a frat party out there.”

“It will be clean by tomorrow afternoon,” Joey replied, nuzzling her neck. “And how was I amazing? I just got up there and sang a little...” his voice trailed off as he planted a kiss on her neck. He heard her suck in a breath and moan slightly. “We gotta get ready to go,” he said, pulling away and smiling at the glare he got.

Melissa turned around and pulled Joey's face down to hers and kissed him hard on the mouth, one of her hands on his cheek, the other going to his hair and yanking, getting a groan from him. She tried not to smile but couldn't help it. Turn about was fair play. A few moments later, she gazed at her husband and giggled. His hair was messed up and he was standing there with a dazed look on his face. “We have to get ready, Fatone,” she said simply, patting his face gently.

“Played by my own wife...” he muttered, watching her slip out of her dress and hang it up carefully. “You know how this started right?” he said, tossing the tie on the bed, reaching for the buttons on his vest.

Melissa pulled her shirt over her head and nodded. “It started out between friends.”


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: joey