Author's Chapter Notes:
Okay figured out what was going wonky on updating. Giving you all the chapters I have done so far. Enjoy!!! Thank you for the reads and reviews.
The buses taking NSYNC and their entourage rolled into Orlando early in the morning. The sun gave off a nice light glow as it broke over the horizon, making Joey smile. Home. As much as he loved touring and singing and dancing with his friends, he was thankful it was over. He looked over and nodded when JC sat down on the opposite side of the table from him, watching the scenery for a minute, with Joey looking back out the window.

“You've been quiet the past few days,” JC said, looking at Joey. They'd all been relieved at Kristen's departure from the tour bus, glad when his phone rang the next day with Melissa on the phone asking him about her classwork.

“Just thinking, Josh...” Joey told him, sighing heavily. “Not going into record and the holiday season without trying to make things right with Mel. Not sure how to apologize..”

“You say you're sorry,” JC said, giving him a small smile.

“I know that,” Joey said, running a hand through his hair, “ just trying to figure out if I should bring flowers or what. She'll probably tell me to piss off.”

“What did you say anyway?” the other man asked, then held up his hands. “Nevermind. None of my business.”

Neither of them heard Justin until he scooted Joey over. “Whatever it was, he should have kept his fucking mouth shut. Mel told me the other day she tried to cook eggs.” Justin made a yikes face.

Joey blinked a couple times, remembering the last time she'd announced she was cooking him breakfast. He'd gotten up a few minutes after her and ended up doing it when smoke was coming from the toaster. “Did she burn the kitchen down?” he asked, trying hard not to laugh.

“No. She said they were barely edible though. Rubbery...I'm buying her cooking classes for Christmas. That and an apron and some dishes,” Justin announced, a grin on his face.

JC and Joey chuckled, then Joey looked at Justin. “I love you, man.” He pulled Justin to him in a brotherly hug.

“What did I do? Get off me, dawg!”

“I know how I'm apologizing,” Joey said, letting Justin go, grabbing his phone. He thought about what all they had to do today before the show and knew he only had a little time between all of his obligations and the show. It was early, but he knew someone would answer the phone at his parents house. “Hi Pop,” Joey said, sitting down in his bunk.

“Morning, Joe, what has you calling so early? Is everything alright?” Joe Senior asked, putting down the morning paper and leaning back in his chair out on the patio.

“Yeah, everything's fine. I need Mom to do something for me. I need her to mix up some bread dough for me. You know, the Fatone recipe,” Joey requested, giving his dad a list, excited about what he'd had planned. When his father asked, Joey just gave it as the excuse about wanting to surprise Melissa. He hung up a little bit later, laying back on his bunk. It wasn't that Joey was a chef, but he wasn't bad around the kitchen. He'd even helped Mel whip up stuff for Thanksgiving, simple stuff she couldn't mess up. It always made him laugh that he liked a girl that couldn't cook. He'd asked her once why she didn't like it, and he found out that she just wasn't good at it. She didn't pretend she was to impress him, and that made it that much more endearing.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

Melissa groaned as she hit the alarm clock. She laid there in bed, waiting until the last minute to get up. She had classes and then work, then running back home to get ready for the concert. She might not have been on tour, but she never missed the Orlando show. The guys were more relaxed and it always made it the best show of the tour. That and they always took a couple weeks off to go so family and get away, from each other and their 'other life' as they called it while on tour. She got up and made her way to the shower, letting the hot water hit her and wake her up. A part of her was excited to see the guys, especially Joey, even if she was still hurt. A conversation with Rachel came back to her, making her frown as she shampooed her hair.

“Ya know Mel, maybe Joey's jealous. Ever think of that while you sit here, pissed off that he hurt your feelings?” Rachel said out of nowhere as they watched Law & Order: SVU.

“Why would he be jealous of Travis? He has a girlfriend.”

“That horse has left the stable a month ago. Maybe he just doesn't know what to say to you. I mean, what if he's scared?”

Melissa laughed at the thought, shaking her head. “I think you've drank too much Pepsi tonight. Joey's never been afraid to tell anyone how he feels. I think you and Justin should start a club for people that like to meddle. Busy Bodies Anonymous. Timberlake's worse than another woman.”

The two of them watched television until the show was over and Rachel got up, tossing the remote on the couch next to her friend. “All I'm saying is that you should give the guy a chance to say he's sorry. He's not as heartless as you make him out to be, Mel. Maybe there's something else there.”

“I think you need professional help, but I'll think about it.”


Grabbing a towel, Melissa stepped out of the shower and sighed. It had been emotionally draining this whole time not being happy with her friend. Her heart ached at not being able to talk to him like she had before; the closeness. It had come out in moments while they were on the phone as she went through her math homework.

The cleaning lady was coming today, so as she got dressed, Melissa picked up things and put them up so it would be easier on her. It was nice to have someone to come in and dust and things like that. The same woman cleaned Justin and Chris' houses, knowing how they all were. The clothes were thrown in the hamper and her bed made, she gathered up her keys and phone, messaging Rachel about tonight. They were going to get something to eat and go over to the concert venue and watch sound check and hang around backstage.

Her phone rang as she was attempting to fix her hair and she answered it, putting it on speaker.

“Hi brother,” she said, grabbing a piece of hair with her straightener. “Are you glad to be home?”

“More than you know,” Lance told her, sitting on the tour bus. “You're coming tonight, right?”

“No, I thought I'd go watch a movie,” she replied lamely. “Dang it!” she cursed, the flat iron getting her ear. “Yes, I'll be there. Send Rachel a text to grab her hard card. She always forgets the damn thing and has to be interrogated before they let her through. Mo does it just to piss her off.”

Lance laughed, taking a deep breath. “I'm telling the rest of the guys, Mel. Before the next tour..I mean, I'm sure they suspect, but Joey's not saying anything. I'm not going to come out though until we're done, ya know. No sense in letting it ruin what we have.” Lance had been thinking hard the last couple of weeks. He hated hiding this part of his life, especially to three of the four guys he considered brothers. He wasn't worried about how they would take it, at least too much. The fans, the press, the public in general worried him more.

She stood in the kitchen, her hand on the counter, listening to the change of subject. Her heart had ached for her brother. The world expected him to be a heterosexual guy, interested in girls. She knew how hard it was for him, maybe not personally, but being her brother, she knew it bothered him. “I'm proud of you, Lance. And I love you. Not for that, but for being my brother. You have the biggest heart of anyone I know...” she couldn't help it, she sniffled as a tear fell down.

“Don't cry, Melly. I love my life. Wouldn't change anything..well, almost anything,” Lance told her, a smile on his face. “I'm home! Now we can sit and watch Survivor,” he said, making her laugh. “I love you, little sister. Get out the door before you're late. I gotta get off here and go do some press stuff,” Lance got up from the couch, knocking Joey playfully in the shoulder. “Bye, Mel.”

“Bye, Melly, I love you!” Chris yelled at the phone, laughing when Joey started singing Bye Bye Bye before Lance could hang up, Justin chiming in with him.

“They're all crazy,” JC muttered, slipping on his sunglasses, a wide smile coming to his face. He was in agreement. It was so good to be home.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“You look tired, honey,” Phyllis Fatone told her youngest son, giving him a hug after she opened the door and let him in. “Are you glad to be home?”

Joey enveloped his mother in a hug, not answering about being tired. “Very glad. Thanks for going shopping for me. We got done early, so I'm going over to Lance and Mel's and hang out. Where's Pop?”

“Your father's over at the neighbor's..something about a grill,” she threw her hands up in an 'I Don't Know' gesture.

The two of them talked, Joey looking around the kitchen of his parents home. He sat on one of the stools at the bar after inspecting the bags to make sure he didn't need anything else. “Mom, you like Mel right?” he asked, fiddling with his hat, not looking at his mother.

Phyllis watched her son and smiled, sitting down beside him. “You know we love Melissa. She's practically part of the family. You two are attached at the hip...Why do you ask?”

Joey sighed, running a hand over his face. “I think I'm in love with her. I mean, I think I have been for a long time, but just now realized it. And I said something I shouldn't have,” he gave his Mom a look and smiled. “You women are complicated.”

Phyllis laughed, kissing Joey's cheek. “Then apologize to her first. Make sure she knows you mean it,” she admonished him, cupping his face. “Just be the charming man I know you can be. Not what all those girls want screaming to you from the barrier. The one you are when you're with her.”

“I will. Wish me luck,” Joey replied, kissing his mother before grabbing the groceries and leaving, giving her a wave before he backed out of the driveway.

Phyllis waved back and went back inside her house, a smile on her face. Three years. She sent up a quick prayer that things would go well between them.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

Joey smiled when he heard the buzz that announced someone was in the driveway. The bread was in the oven and the homemade cheese tortellini was also in there with the sauce simmering on the stove. He went and looked, seeing Melissa get out, knowing she wouldn't think he was here. He and Lance had met up and traded vehicles.

He heard the door open and went to meet Melissa, chuckling at the surprised look on her face to see him there instead of Lance. “Surprise,” he said, looking her up and down, aching to pull her to him.

Melissa swallowed hard, trying to play it off that she was not as happy to see Joey as she really was. She raised an eyebrow at him, coming into the living room. “I thought you had stuff to do,” she said, spotting flowers on the coffee table. Not just one bouquet, but there were three different ones, all full of her favorite flowers. “So you bought flowers and something smells wonderful...” Melissa walked over to him, looking Joey up and down.

“I got done early,” Joey told her, watching her look around. He felt nervous for the first time ever around her, mostly because of his feelings he felt. He knew that part would have to come later, but for now he wanted to apologize. “Come sit with me while I finish up?” Joey pulled a chair out from the bar and sat it by the dishwasher so they could talk and he could cook.

Melissa nodded, sitting down. “You made me Italian...I called to see if you wanted to go to Mr. Chow's...” she trailed off, not sure of what to say first.

“If you want Chinese, we'll go later tonight,” Joey told her, stirring the sauce and checking the bread. Turning off the oven and sauce after getting everything out.

“Joey I-”

“I'm sorry, Mel,” Joey said, interrupting her, coming to where she was sitting after pulling out another chair. “I don't know why I said what I did. You're right, I'm an asshole. It's killed me to not have you talk to me like we used to. That you're here and I'm off wherever...I need you,” he said. The other three little words had almost surfaced, but he held those back. “Yeah, I came and made you dinner and bought flowers to apologize, but I wanted to do it too.” His voice broke a little, looking away from her. “I'll beg if you want me to,” he said softly.

Melissa blinked back tears, biting her lip. She pulled Joey's face back to look at her. It didn't matter what anyone thought, she wanted her friend back. “Don't beg,” she replied, giving him a smile. “I...I've missed you too,” Melissa wrapped her arms around him, letting herself hug him, burying her face in his chest. His scent made her sigh and she felt better than she had in two months when his arms wrapped around her.

Joey held her close, sending up a thanks to God that she hadn't thrown him out. “So what's this I hear about you fixing eggs the other day?” he said after a moment, a smile coming to his face.

“Shut up! Justin doesn't know how to keep his trap shut,” Melissa said, pulling away from him and looking embarrassed. “I just..got the pan too hot or didn't stir them or something. Your best friend can't cook worth a crap, Joey.”

“That's why you have me, bambina. I won't let you starve,” Joey told her, pulling her to him once more. “I'm sorry,” he repeated, wanting to make sure she knew he was.

“I know. I am too...I shouldn't have gotten so mad. I mean, neither one of us seems to think good when we're mad and I just hated that I was so jealous...” the word slipped out of her mouth before she could stop it and she looked at Joey, pulling herself out of his arms. “I need to go change clothes,” she said quickly, not sure what she was doing, or feeling. She knew what it was, but Melissa wasn't going to open her mouth. Not so soon.

“Wait..” Joey said, following her and grabbing her arm gently before she could shut the door to her room, “talk to me.” Joey watched the gauntlet of emotions cross her face, feeling his own breath catch. When she didn't and just bit her lip, he smiled. “Why were you jealous of Kristen?”

“Just..because..she had you..and I hadn't seen you in six weeks.” Melissa stammered, shrugging.

“You'd have been on the next flight out if you'd have called,” he informed her, letting her go and sitting on her bed. He saw a photo album laying on her dresser. “You finally got around to using my Christmas present,” he said, watching Melissa pick it up and hand it to him.

“Actually, Rachel said she needed a project. I just had all the photos,” she told him, sitting next to him on the bed. Melissa had flipped through it so many times she had it memorized. Rachel had went OCD on it and put all the of the pictures in order of when they happened, even sticking in pages of drawings with dates. They were all of her and Joey, some group pics, but mostly them.

Joey flipped through the pictures, a funny look on his face. He got about halfway through and pointed to a picture of them at his sister's house. They'd been washing dishes since the dishwasher was already full and going with holiday dishes. Joey still had his brother in law's “Kiss The Cook” apron and she was giving him a kiss on the cheek as he held a dirty pan a surprised look on his face,, her holding the dish soap. The next picture was Joey with Ajax on his apron and in the pan,laughing. “That was the first time I realized you were my best friend,” he said, giving her a smile.


Melissa smiled, taking the album from him and flipped over to one of the whole group, but she was next to Joey as they were doing the before show prayer. Everyone had their eyes closed but them, giving each other a goofy grin. “The show in Toronto. Where we snuck out after the show and ran around downtown. Rachel told me she'd been replaced as my best friend. And I told her no, that you were my guy best friend. I think you had been before that, but ya know...”

The space between them lessened as Joey leaned in, giving her the softest of kisses on her lips. “Let's eat before it gets cold,” he said, winding his fingers in hers, sliding the photo album out of her lap.

“Yeah, food sounds good.” Melissa's lips felt like they were on fire and she tried desperately not to over-think it. She smiled at the flowers, going to smell them. “These are absolutely gorgeous, Joey. Gonna have to tell Lance his version of flowers sucks,” she said with a smile, going to grab plates, handing them to him. “Speaking of my brother, he's thinking of telling the other guys about his sexual status.”

Joey dished out food, pausing a moment at that statement. “I think they pretty much know, but, I mean, we're here for him. You know that. He deserves to be happy and be who he is.”

“I think he's scared of what everyone else will think. Or that if he came out before NSYNC was done..what it might do. I mean, he'll probably just want to wait for it go public until after then,” Melissa said as they sat down. She took Joey's hand as he said a quick grace.

The meal was delicious, both of them eating until they couldn't eat anymore, both of them cleaning up. “How long do we have?” Melissa asked, looking at the clock.

“Sound check's in an hour. So we have thirty minutes,” Joey told her, pulling her back for one more hug. “We still never had our sing off. And your hair is still blonde.”

Melissa laughed, playing with his hair, getting a groan from him. “You should go blonde and I'll go purple.”

“I'll call tomorrow and get it set up.”

There was a buzz and a minute later the door opened, both of them hearing Lance and Rachel's voices. Their friends stopped and looked at Joey and Mel close together, both of them grinning like the cheshire cat.

“Good thing we didn't wait to come back, they might have been naked,” Rachel said, chuckling when Mel gave her the finger. “Sorry you aren't my type.”

“Whatever. We talked, that doesn't mean we're getting married.”

Lance smiled and nodded a hello to Joey as the girls went to Melissa's room. “Nice flowers. I see you were channeling your inner florist.”

“More like I was channeling whatever I could do to get her to talk to me,” Joey said, grabbing the vases and setting them on a couple of the end tables. “I think we're okay. I told her I was sorry and a jackass.”

“Just make sure you don't hurt my sister, Fatone. I'd hate to have to bury you with the fishes,” Lance said, making Joey laugh.

“You forget I'm Italian. That's old school. And it's sleep with the fishes,” Joey said replied with a laugh. It was going to be a good show and he was pumped up.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“You look hot, woman,” Rachel told Mel a little bit later as they finished getting ready. She'd pulled out her friend's closet, finding a white tank top and then a capped sleeve shirt that was navy blue and some ripped Aeropostale jeans and paired them with some cute shoes. Make up and hair done, she shoved Melissa in front of a mirror. “See? It never hurts you to dress up a little. Impress some guy.”

“You could impress a guy wearing a mu-mu and curlers, so I'm not listening to you.”

“Says the woman who has three vases full of beautiful flowers and a man who cooked you dinner. A man doesn't cook dinner unless he wants to,” Rachel informed her, grabbing her own lipstick and putting some on.

“He was apologizing,” Melissa retorted, grabbing her keys and shoving her wallet and debit card in the back of her pants before grabbing her hard card that let her get everywhere. “You riding with me?” she asked, watching Rachel nod before they went out to the living room where Lance and Joey were sitting watching baseball.

“Ewww..you watch this?” Rachel asked, gesturing to the television.

“It's the national past time,” Lance replied, shrugging. He didn't mind baseball, watching the other sports stats run on the bottom of the screen.

“You girls watch all sorts of stupid stuff and we can't watch baseball? It's tied at the bottom of the sixth,” Joey told them, looking over at Melissa when she flopped down beside him. “You smell good,” he said, catching a whiff of perfume. Nothing overpowering, and noticing she had on make up. “You look nice too. What's the occasion?”

“See Rach! I told you he'd ask,” Melissa said as Joey and Lance both laughed.

“No, you said I could impress a guy in nothing but a night gown and curlers. Then earlier you asked what color eyeshadow you should wear.” Rachel laughed as she watched her friend pretend not to be pleased. “Don't we need to be leaving?” she asked, making them all look at the clock.

“I'll ride with Lance, since it's the last time we'll sing together for at least two weeks.” Joey hugged Lance, pretending to be upset. “I don't know how I can go on....”

Lance stood there, rolling his eyes but with a smile on his face. “You'll live, Fatone. You'll be over here bugging the shit out of me in a few days. Or you'll have my sister at your house, making her watch Star Wars for hours on end.”

Joey stopped, lifting his head and looking at his friend. “She never complained.”

“That's because you fed me chocolate and let me use the jacuzzi tub,” Melissa said, pulling Rachel out the door. “JC will be pissed if you are late.”

Joey looked at Lance, surprised. “I never told her she could use the jacuzzi tub.”

Lance laughed, “That's what you get for being best friends with a girl.”

Joey grinned evilly, “Your sister was naked in my house,” he laughed more at the awful look Lance gave him, his mind wandering to somewhere it shouldn't as they got into Lance's car, looking out the window as traffic went by. “So did you and Rachel have fun?” he asked, breaking the silence, save for the radio.

“Yeah, we went to Bluto's Diner,” Lance told him as they got on the interstate. “I think I wanna tell the rest of the guys tonight after the show. I don't want to keep it a secret, at least from them. I told Rachel she could be there too..since she's going to be my cover at least until NSYNC is done.”

Joey blinked a couple times, letting the words sink in. “I love you, man. You got more balls than the rest of us...and no matter who you're with, you're still my best friend,” he gave a chuckle, “so what made you and Rach decide to do this? I mean, is she sure she wants to?”

Lance looked at Joey and nodded. “She told me she wasn't ready for a relationship again like she'd had before. She knows it's for show, and we get along well. I asked if she minded doing PDA or kissing me maybe,” he smiled a bit, “she asked if she could grab my ass.”

Laughing, Joey shook his head. “Sounds like Rachel. She's intense, that's for sure. A no bullshit type person when it comes to what she wants. I'm happy for you in your pseudo­ relationship.”

“Thanks. It means a lot. I keep hoping the rest of the guys will take it as good...I mean, the media, the fans...” he sighed. “Do you ever wish all this hadn't have happened?”

Joey thought about his answer. “Sometimes. Especially the days where we're so busy it's insane or so tired I just want to tell everyone to kiss my ass. Then I get to meet people like Ashleigh...make their day a little brighter.”

Lance nodded in agreement and the two of them went on to talk about other subjects as the traffic made it's way towards downtown Orlando.

*^*^*^*^*^*^

“You should have let me drive,” Melissa told Rachel as they weaved in and out of traffic, trying to keep up with Joey and Lance. “You drive like we're at a NASCAR race.”

“Will you shut up? You drive like an old woman. I'll get us there in time,” Rachel said, giving the car more gas.

“In time for what? We aren't performing? I'd like to get there, not be going to the morgue.” Melissa grinned brighter when she spotted Lance's car. She made stupid faces at him as they drove past, blowing kisses and sticking her tongue out at Joey, laughing as Rachel slowed back down to get behind them.

“See, it was worth it right there. You worry too much,” Rachel said, looking over at Melissa. “Lance and I had an interesting conversation while you and Joey were playing house...” she smiled as Melissa gave a snort and continued. “He wants to tell the guys..about being gay. But he doesn't want it to come out yet. So we talked about me being his girlfriend. I told him, sure...What do you think about it?” Rachel chewed on her lip, wondering how her best friend would feel about her pretending to date her brother.

“I...If that's what he wants. And if you don't mind. Might be kinda nice to be with a guy who doesn't think about sex all the time. At least with a female,” Melissa said with a chuckle, then got serious. “I love you both. If that's what you want to do, then I'm for it. I still don't see why you aren't married and have three kids by now.”

“Men are so over-rated, Mel. Other than you and Joey Wan Kenobi, most men are stupid little kids. Joey's a stupid little kid, but he's your best friend. So he gets points for that.”

“Good to know,” Melissa said, the girls talking about it a little more. She was confident the rest of NSYNC would be okay with the news, maybe a little shocked, but nothing they couldn't all talk about and handle.

They pulled in to park and all got out at roughly the same time. Joey went over to Melissa's car and pulled her out and to him. “I missed you!” He grinned at her and hugged her hard. “I was so lonely...”

“Can't breathe...Joey,” Mel said, letting out a breath when he let go, slipping her arm through his as they walked into the back of the arena. “Shall we?” she asked, raising an eyebrow.

Joey nodded as they both started singing 'Barbie Girl' loudly, laughing as they changed up words.

Rachel watched them and looked at Lance. “Are you sure it's safe to go in there after them?”

“They'll get it out of their system in a few years,” Lance replied, holding the door open for her. “I see you got my text,” he said, pulling at her hard card and looking at it before letting it go to hang around her neck.

“Yep. You only texted me five times,” Rachel told him with a grin. Going in, she could still hear Joey and Melissa singing, but now it was 'Baby One More Time'. “Britney's gonna love that,” she muttered, rolling her eyes, but still with a smile on her face. “You nervous?” she asked Lance, watching him sigh deeply.

“A little..but..thanks. I mean it, Rach.” Lance pulled her in for a hug. “I don't know what I'd do without ya.”

Rachel hugged him back. “That's what I'm here for. Damage control. Oh my God,” she said, stopping at the door marked NSYNC.

“My loneliness is killing me, I must confess, I still believe...” Melissa sang, shaking her hips like Britney did, only Joey was doing it too as Britney was almost laying on the couch, along with Justin, JC, and Chris, all of them laughing so hard they were crying. “When I'm not with you, I lose my mind, give me a sign, hit me baby one more time.”

"Think we can talk your mother into putting her in a psychiatric hospital?" Rachel murmured as she stared at the scene in front of her.

"Not unless they'll take them both," Lance replied, shaking his head.

"Maybe we can get a two for one?" Rachel whispered, hopeful.

"They already gave Joey back, you saw the video."


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: joey