We get to JC's parents' place and I smirk, recognizing the bright blue convertible in the driveway. Joey, Chris and Lance also chuckle quietly beside me. The four of us know exactly who's here and why JC's mom had told him to rush right home. We tackle him to the floor and blindfold him, ushering him to the bus' door as he bitches like a girl about the treatment we just gave him. "I can't see where I'm going."
"No need to, you should know your parents' house by memory by now," Chris argues with him.
"But I haven't been home in months," JC grumbles, bitching about the fact he has to be blindfolded.
We guide him off the bus and he almost face plants in the front yard, bringing a sly smirk to her face. She greets us all with hugs and she smells like sandalwood, jasmine and a tropical beach. It makes me think of some of the coastal places we've been to over the past few years, some of them being with her and I recall the heart to heart conversations we had together during our walks on some of them as good friends. "Long time no see, girl," I greet her as I pull away from her.
She smiles and nods at me, saying the same sort of thing back to me with her eyes. Lance hugs her, inhaling her intoxicating scent as well and humming. "How's things?"
She smiles, informing it's all good in the simplest of ways. Joey steps up next. "Missed you."
She gives him a 'right' look and embraces him, Chris running over to her for his traditional bear hug with her that they do each and every time they see one another. "Wish you could've stayed longer to keep me saner," he rambles in Spanish.
She nods in agreement, walking over to JC and wraps her arms around his waist affectionately. He inhales her uniquely tempting smells and sighs to himself quietly, his arms pulling her as close as he can manage with a smile plastered to his visage. "I'm sorry, Cass."
"For being an ass and an asshole?" she retorts.
"Yeah, to all of it," he admits softly.
"I have a special guest with me, but you can't fly off the handle."
"Yeah? Who?"

The rest of us look up to spot him, a scowl coming to my face and the back of her hand slaps my abdomen a split second later. "Stop it."
"No," I growl.
She curses me in Spanish, Chris unphased and not willing to defend me. The asshat taps my shoulder and motions for me to follow him, wanting to talk alone. I don't like the feeling I have in the pit of my stomach, something feels off. We get out of earshot and I look at them, she's talking to JC with his eyes still covered. "I'll be honest, I know how you feel and I don't blame you. I get it, I really do. I felt the same way, way back when she was with AJ and then I told her. I told her everything, including how I felt and what I knew at the time. I have everything I could ask for in her and I know she set you up with Britney, knowing you better than you thought. She did it because of what you told her when you were on MMC, about how you felt when it came to Brit and that sorta thing sticks with her. When and if she and I ever come to an end, it's her call on who she gets together with. I'll respect it because I respect and will always love her, but I may not agree with her choice. I'll be on your side of the fence again, so I do know how you feel. You're trying to hide it and respect her, but you want so badly for her to be yours and love her in the ways I do. You have your girl and I suggest you focus on her, but I know Cassie will always be in your heart and at the back of your mind. All I'm asking is for you to respect me enough not to cross that line, you don't have to like me and I'll respect you. Is that a fair deal?"
I look him straight in the eye and process it all. "I guess," I confess.
He holds his hand out and we shake on it, turning to walk back over to everyone else. "Josh, promise me you won't go batty when you see who it is."
"Depends on who it is."
"Shake the person's hand to show that you'll respect him and not cross any lines you know you're not supposed to when it comes to me, but you don't have to like them. They're willing to agree to respect you for my sake and our friendship."
JC uncomfortably wraps his arms around his own torso, unsure about trusting her and I know he doesn't like being tricked into this kinda thing, but I guess it has to be done for he and I to suck it up enough to agree to this. "C, I already made the agreement with that person," I inform him.
He groans, knowing if I'm mature enough to do so that he has to be more than me and do it blindfolded. "Fine, but it's for you and the friendship we have."
His hand shoots out and they lock hands, shaking three times on it when Chris pulls off the bandana. "Thanks, JC," Nick says, genuine in his appreciation for the decision.
"Yeah, you're welcome. Is this what all the secrecy was all about?"

Chris smirks, affirming it with a single movement of his head. "She and I have been planning this since September."
JC shakes his head and walks over to his parents and siblings to greet them appropriately, looking at his childhood friend before walking around the house to the backyard. I look at how happy she seems with Nick as they softly talk, my heart beginning to shatter at the sight and I walk away from it to be alone.

I have no clue how long it took for Joey and Lance to find me hidden on the side of the house, leaning on the fence by the backyard. "J, you still hurt when you see her happy with someone else, but you have Brit," Joey observes, reminding me of what I do have at the same time.
"I know, but you know how it feels when you have a crush and she was the one who always got away from me and never fails to remind me that I'm too young for her," I explain, tapping my fingers on my knees and I keep my eyes on the grass between my feet.
"She always tells me that she and I wouldn't work because we're so different, but Nick is different as well," Lance confesses to me.
I snap my head up to look into his deep green eyes, seeing nothing but pure honesty in them. "Then you understand how I feel," I comment, dropping my eyes back to the grass.
"I've known her for about half her life now and I know that you shouldn't always go by what she tells you, but always follow the way the river carries you with her," Joey reiterates, telling us something he and Chris have told us since we met her and for good reason, too.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story