The coffee shop was almost as deserted as her book store had been.  Two sodden girls sat in the back corner, chatting over cups of hot cocoa, and the barista moved around the room wiping down tables.  Other than that, the place was empty.

 

Emily let Justin lead her to a table nestled in the corner, taking her jacket and pulling out her chair.  Emily was surprised at his chivalry.  She didn’t think men like this existed anymore except in the books she poured over.  She smiled up at him as he took his own seat, feeling the chill of the day fade as his own smile warmed her skin.  She was blushing like a little girl and she couldn’t figure out why.

 

Picking up the menu, Emily browsed her options, aware of Justin’s eyes on her as she read.  It was unnerving, but she ignored it for the moment, intent on finding something to put in her stomach.

 

After they’d ordered, Emily sat back in her chair and met Justin’s gaze.  She didn’t know why she was letting this man get under her skin.  But she was.

 

“So, I don’t think I’ve ever seen you around before.  Where are you from?”  It was her intention to put him on the spot, but if her question had fazed him, he didn’t show it.

 

Instead, he shrugged.  “I’ve lived in town for a while now.  But before that, I’ve lived all over.  Sort of a nomad, if you will.”  He balled tiny pieces of napkin between his fingers, pulling and rolling in a slightly nervous gesture.  “I knew your grandfather.”

 

The comment startled Emily, who was caught off guard at the mention of her Gramps.  “Really?”  She didn’t get to as anything further because they food arrived.  She hadn’t realize how famished she’d been.  Conversation halted as she ate, Justin casually sipping his coffee, watching the rain slide down the shop window.

 

After she’d finished most of her sandwich, Emily sat back in her seat, slightly embarrassed.  “Sorry.  I didn’t realize how hungry I was.”  Justin’s eyes moved from the window back to her, a small smile touching his lips.

 

“No problem.”

 

“So, Justin, other than being a Fitzgerald fan, who are you?”

 

His eyes traced her features for a while, and Emily didn’t think he was going to answer.  “I’m just Justin.  I like books, movies…coffee.” 

 

“That’s not an answer.  Just Justin?  I mean…where are you from?  What do you do?”  She was becoming frustrated with the mystery surrounding this man, but she couldn’t bring herself to walk away and forget about him.

 

Justin sighed, sipping his coffee.  “My mom was born in England, and I grew up in a small town outside of London.  I moved to American when I was…younger…and I’ve spent some time on the West Coast, but I like it better here.”  He pointed to the window, its view marred by the rain still pouring from above.  “The seasons here remind me of home.  So I’ve lived in New England for the past few years.”

 

Emily had almost expected him to avoid her answer again.  She was surprised, though, and even more intrigued by this man.  “England?  You don’t have an accent.”  She almost kicked herself for that remark.

 

Justin smirked.  “Well, the longer I spend here, the less of an accent I have.”

 

Here was a small coastal town in New Hampshire, filled with antique shops and tourist traps.  Emily had lived here her entire life, and she couldn’t imagine living anywhere else.  She could understand why Justin was hesitant to leave.  “What was your mom like?”  She didn’t know why she’d asked, but she was curious.  She wanted to get underneath his skin and figure out what made him tick.

 

This question made him uncomfortable, but he answered anyway.  “She was…she was Mom.  She had this terrible habit of humming and making a song out of everything.  I mean she’d cook dinner and sing about the ingredients.  She’d wash clothing and sing about folding it.”  She smiled, and this time it was different than all the others Emily had seen on his face.  He suddenly looked older and younger at the same time.  “I fell in love with music because of my Mom.”

 

Emily found herself smiling along with him, imagining the woman who’d molded this mysterious man.  His gaze caught hers, and Emily felt her breath catch in her throat.  “I…I should get going.”  She stuttered.  Heat had blazed up her spine as he watched her, and Emily needed to step back and get away.  She needed to clear her head.  “Thank you, for coming to coffee with me.”  She fumbled inside her bag, looking for her wallet.  Justin waved her away, setting a few bills on the table.

 

“My treat.”

 

“Thank you.”  She blushed again, feeling clumsy and childish as she hastily retreated from the coffee shop. 

 

It was still pouring outside as she left, instantly getting drenched as she ran for her car.  Why she felt the sudden urge to run, she didn’t know, but there was something nagging at the back of her mind and she couldn’t place it.  The look on his face or the way he’d talked about his mother…something was familiar about what had just transpired between them.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:
One more chapter to go!


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story