“Excuse me, Ma’am. I’m going to need to see some ID.”

Heaving a sigh, I turn and give Pete a look. “You’re not as funny as you think you are.”

He grins and falls into step beside me. “Yeah I am. What are you doing for lunch? I’m assuming that’s where you’re going.”

“I’m going to eat outside. Are you on your break?”

“Sure am. Allow me to accompany you.”

I smile and allow him to link his arm in mine. “Why thank you, kind sir.”

“So anything exciting happen this morning?” I ask as we walk outside.

Pete shrugs and steers me in the direction of a picnic table. “Couple kids got into a fight but what else is new in juvi. One of them was that kid Tyler you’re working with.”

I groan a bit and drop my things on the top of the picnic table before taking a seat. “Of course he was involved. I cannot get through to that kid.”

“Give it time,” Pete says. He reaches across the table and steals half my sandwich from me. “Are you here till five today?”

I nod.

“Anything exciting planned for tonight?”

“No. But tomorrow Horace has a date with Bella.”

Pete begins to laugh. “Justin’s letting your dog hang out with his baby?”

“They’re friends,” I reply. “Justin can’t deny Bella of her best friend and soulmate.” I finish the half of my sandwich and then stare longingly at Pete throwing the last bite of sandwich in his mouth. I really shouldn’t have let him taken half of my food. Now I’m going to have to resort to the vending machine.

“So I got an interesting phone call from Janice yesterday.”

I raise my eyes from the picnic table to Pete. “Did you.”

“She told me that Justin’s going to propose soon.”

I almost choke on the water I’ve just put in my mouth. “Propose?” I manage to get out within a few coughs. “They’ve been dating for like…three months or something.”

Pete laughs. “Yeah, I told her she’s crazy. But she says that she’s really serious about him and he’s really serious about her.”

Somehow I highly doubt that. But I’m not just going to come out and call his cousin a liar. “That’s…interesting.”

“Yeah. I just don’t think that Justin’s the type to move that fast. Do you?”

I shrug. “You hang out with him more than I do.”

Pete flicks a piece of bread crust at me. “You know him more than me. You’re the one who dated him for a year.”

“But that was like eight months ago,” I reason. “A lot can change in eight months.”

“Not that much.” He shrugs and cracks his knuckles. “I think Jan just wants a big rock on her finger. Her mom’s been telling her since she was seven that she needs to find a man who will take care of her.”

“Well she’s certainly found that,” I say, more to myself than to Pete. Trace is always complaining how Janice is just after Justin for his money and who knows, maybe she is. But I really don’t think Justin is dumb enough to propose after three months of dating a girl. He’s been burned way too much in the past to do something like that.

Not wanting to discuss Justin and Janice any further, I crumple my paper lunch bag into a ball and toss it to Pete. “How late are you staying today?”

“Late. I’m covering Shane’s shift.” He checks his watch and then stands. “I’m gonna go back in. I’m technically not supposed to be on break right now.”

I laugh. I think Pete is one of the most slack people I’ve ever met. When he is actually working he puts his heart into it but he’s definitely known to take frequent breaks to ‘rejuvenate’ as he calls it. “Slacker.”

He grins and catches the paper bag ball. “I do what I’m good at. You got a busy afternoon? You should come play cards with me and Ed.”

“Unlike you, I have actual work I need to do. I have a session with Tyler today.”

Pete raises his eyebrows at me. “Good luck. With how he’s been today, he’ll probably just punch you in the face or something.”

Pete, my lovely coworker, is one of the most encouraging people I know. “Thank you.”

He laughs and then turns to leave, tossing the paper bag over his shoulder on his way toward the prison. Even after he’s long from sight, his words are playing over in my head.

I don’t like the thought of Justin and Janice getting engaged. Not that I really believe it’s about to happen, but I can’t help but think about it now. That would be the worst thing. It’s not that I’m in love with Justin and I want him back because Wes and I…well we’re just fine. It’s just that Janice hardcore hates me. And if she and Justin were to get really serious, I feel like he and I wouldn’t be allowed to be friends anymore. Not if she had anything to say about it.

I shake my head and laugh at myself as I get up. They’re AREN’T getting engaged so it’s stupid to sit here and think about it. She probably is just after a trophy ring. Trace is probably right about her. That wouldn’t surprise me. Trace is usually right about most things.

Once I’m back in the detention center I head straight for the vending machine. I swear I feed half my paycheck into this thing, which is really bad when you think about it. I justify it by telling myself that other than the vending machine and my occasional Mexican takeout fix, I’m trying to eat healthy.

The bag of skittles just isn’t enough to carry me through the day. My session with Tyler didn’t go well for either of us and no amount of sugar is going to improve my mood at this point. By time I’m leaving at five, all I want to do is go home and consume a massive amount of chocolate. I’ll start that whole healthy eating thing tomorrow.

I really do believe that there are days when the universe decides to shit all over you. I’ve already had this long day with the whole Tyler thing and I’m irritated with myself for still thinking about what Pete told me at lunch. It’s all just given me a headache and when I decide the day can’t get any worse, the universe decides to defy me and stall my car a half hour away from my house.

“No!” I exclaim, turning the key in the engine. I get nothing and my words get more desperate. “Don’t do this to me, Christopher. Not today.”

The engine stays silent when I try and turn it on again and my desperation turns to anger. “Shit!” I drop my head to the steering wheel and squeeze my eyes shut. “Damnit.”

This truly is the perfect end to a just wonderful day. A semi might as well come and mow me over at this point.

I don’t move from my slumped position for a good five minutes. That’s how long it takes for me to accept this situation for what it is and figure out what to do. I guess I should be glad that my car broke down on a side street and not on the middle of the freeway. This could be worse. Not by much, but it could be worse.

I could call a cab but that would involve dishing out a lot of money to get back to my apartment and that’s just not an option. I look around my surrounds before pulling out my cell phone. I’ll need to use my phone a friend lifeline on this one.

“Hi.”

I smile when Wes picks up after a couple rings. “Hey. What are you doing?”

“I’m just about to go into a meeting.”

“Now? It’s five thirty.”

“Late meeting. What’s up?”

“Christopher broke down on me.”

There’s a small pause. “Oh. Did you call a tow truck?”

Wes always takes the easy option. “No. I’m not paying for a tow truck. They’re freaking expensive.”

“Then how are you planning on getting home?”

“Well I was hoping you’d be free and come rescue me, my knight in shining armor.”

He laughs. “I would but I can’t miss this meeting. My boss would have my head on a platter. Call a tow truck and I’ll pick up the tab.”

“I think I’ll try some other people before I do that. I’ll be here all night waiting if I do that.”

“Okay well let me know how it goes.”

“Mm hmm. Bye.”

“Bye, Laina.”

Okay so one person down. I go to the next number on my list.

“Trace isn’t here because he’s out being cooler than you’ll ever be. Leave a message.”

I roll my eyes. I can’t believe he got his four year old nephew to record that at his voicemail. I don’t bother leaving a message and hang up. He’s no good to me.

I try my coworker, Merissa, next but I get her voicemail as well and a large sigh escapes me as I hang up. Seriously, it’s quarter to six on a Tuesday evening. Where the hell is everyone?

My next number is what I figure as a dud since he’s always too lazy to pick up his phone but I’m surprised with a response after two rings.

“Hey, Lainey.”

“How much do you love me?”

“That seems like a bit of an awkward question for you to ask an ex boyfriend,” Justin replies.

“Are you busy?”

“Depends.”

It always depends with him. “My car broke down and I’m stranded.”

He laughs as I expected him to. “Finally. Are you going to scrap it?”

He’s a horrible person to suggest such a thing. “No!”

“I love how shocked you sound at that suggestion,” he says, still laughing. “Yeah, I’ll come rescue you. Where are you?”

“I’m right by that quickie mart off 63rd.”

“I’ll be there in ten minutes.”

“You rock.”

“I know. Bye.”

“Bye.”

Once I’ve hung up the phone I realize how hot it’s become in my car. I leave all my crap on the passengers seat and get out. I had turned onto a residential street when my car had started acting weird and it’s pretty quiet.

Sighing, I pull myself up to sit on the hood of the car and wait for my knight to rescue me. It’s fifteen minutes later when I hear the thumping of a bass and a car engine. I raise my head up from where it’s resting in my hands and watch as Justin’s car drives up. He parks his car a couple feet away from mine.

“So is your car a goner?” he asks as he gets out of his car.

I hop off the top of my car. “I dunno. You tell me.”

He saunters over to me and pulls off his sunglasses. “Pop your hood.”

I do as he says and stand to the side, my arms crossed over my chest, watching him lift up the hood and peers in.

“Your engine’s a mess,” he finally says, straightening. “When’s the last time you got it checked over by a mechanic?”

If my car’s running, I feel like taking it to a mechanic is a waste of time and money. “It runs just fine.”

A smirk settles over his face and he merely stares at me with a raised eyebrow. “Does it?”

I frown and kick at the tire. “It did.”

He looks at me for another second. “Were you crying?”

“What?”

“Your eyes.” He gestures to his own. “Were you crying?”

So maybe I had let a couple tears out when I was waiting for him. Sometimes after a really long day it just feels better to get it out. “I was frustrated.”

“Frustrated until you realized I would rescue you?”

I don’t humor him. “You were fourth on my list.”

His smile falls. “Fourth? Who’s before me?”

Why he thinks he would be the first one I would call is beyond me. “I tried Wes but he was about to go into a meeting so-”

“He left you sitting stranded on a random road for a meeting?” Justin interrupts, his eyebrows raised. “Nice boyfriend.”

I completely ignore him. “Merissa didn’t pick up and I only got Trace’s voicemail when I called him.”

An insulted look comes over his face. “Trace is before me on your list of people to call?”

“I hang out with him way more than you. And I figured he’d be free.”

“He’s got a date tonight. Maybe you should rethink your number three.”

“Don’t get your panties in a knot. I called you and you came and everything’s fine.” I cast a despairing look at my car. “Well not everything.” I rub my hand over the top of the side mirror. “Is he really dead?”

“I think your engine just overheated. How long have you had it off for?”

I shrug. “I dunno. Half an hour maybe.”

“Try starting it again. It might be okay by now.”

I get back in my car and say a quick prayer before turning the key. When my car sputters to life, a smile breaks out across my face and I hop out. “It’s working!”

Justin laughs at me. “I can see that. But even though it’s working now you have to take it in and get it looked at or next time it might be broken for good.”

“Yeah, sure,” I lie. As long as my car’s running, I’m not subjecting it to a mechanic. “Sorry for dragging you all the way out here for nothing.”

He shrugs and shoves his hands in the front pockets of his jeans. “It was no problem. I wasn’t doing anything anyways.” He looks at his watch and then back to me. “What are you doing right now?”

“Going home and making dinner.”

He gives me a smile. “Since I came out here and rescued you, you should make me some dinner too.”

“I don’t know if I have enough food at my house to make enough for you,” I reply.

“So come over to my house and make something there.”

I open my mouth but before I can even ask my question, he’s answering it.

“Janice is out with her mom.”

That’s really all I need to know. “Okay.”

“Cool. So I’ll drive your car in case it breaks down again and you can take my car.”

I hold onto the door handle protectively. “No way. Christopher will be just fine.”

He rolls his eyes and tries to move me out of the way of the door. “Come on, Lainey. You can drive my nice BMW. I can promise you it runs much smoother.”

“I don’t care.” Seriously, he should know me well enough by now to understand that no one drives my car but me. “You can follow behind me if you’re so concerned.”

He rolls his eyes and gives my shoulder a bit of a shove before going back to his car. “I’m following behind you,” he says over his shoulder as if I didn’t JUST suggest that.

“Yeah, I’m sure you will,” I respond before getting into my car. I put my car into drive and then pull out ahead of him, not particularly looking forward to him tailing me all the way back to his house. He just better not be shocked to get the bird if he gets too close.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story