Author's Chapter Notes:
This is the first N Sync fanfiction I have written in years. I hope that those left reading enjoy it!
Etta's GPS guided her to the parking lot of the antique shop with little difficulty. She had gotten lost only once, but the long trip was worth it. She'd been searching for months for a piano just like the one her mother used to have- and after lots of calling around, had finally found one. She just needed to check it out to make sure that it was in good shape before buying it. Her mother was going to be thrilled. It was going to be a complete and total surprise. She couldn't wait to see the look on her face when it was delivered on Christmas Eve.

The bell over the door let out a little jingle as she entered. Etta could hear someone playing a piano from within the shop. She didn't see anyone behind the counter, and decided to take the chance to browse. The shop was more like a large warehouse- full of random items. Furniture, more than a few pianos, random knick-knacks scattered along shelves. For the most part, it seemed to be full of junk... Not that Etta was surprised, most antique shops were.

Without realizing it, she'd been following the sound of the music. It wasn't long before she came upon a man seated on a bench in front of a piano. Not just any piano- but the very one she'd come to find. It looked just like the one her mother had been forced to sell just last year. It wasn't in as good of shape- the wood needed a new finish, but Etta could tell it would be perfect. And the piano sounded great, judging from the way the man seated in front of it was playing it. The tune he plucked out was melancholy, but beautiful. Etta leaned against a shelf and closed her eyes as she listened.

Both were startled by the loud clatter of a ceramic something breaking on the floor. Etta's purse had nudged it from its spot on the shelf. "Christ!" she immediately knelt to the ground, gathering up the pieces in her hand. She found the piece with the sticker. Thank God it would only cost her twenty dollars. That could have been a hell of a lot worse.

"Are you alright?" the man asked, tilting his head at her curiously.

"Yes- I'm fine. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to..." Etta trailed off. Could you really eaves drop on someone who was playing in public? "Startle you," she finished.

"It's alright."

She watched as another man came up, holding a yellow slip of paper. He handed it to the man who had been playing piano. "She's all yours!"

Etta's heart sank. "You bought this piano?" she asked.

The piano playing man nodded. "I did."

She cursed, then groaned. "Fuck, damn, shit!" What was she going to do now? She didn't have another few months to find another piano like this one! Christmas was only a month and a half away.

"Are you quite alright?" the piano playing man asked, waving off the shop keep who had just brought him his receipt.

"Yes, I mean... No. But it's not your problem. I've just been looking for a piano like this for months- for my mother. I called the shop a couple of days ago and they said they had one. Today was the first chance I've had to get out here to take a look at it. But it seems you've beat me to it. I guess I... will just have to try to find another one."

The man frowned. "I'm sorry. I didn't know. But there are a lot of other really nice pianos here. I'm sure your mother would like one of those."

"She might. But I don't know anything about them."

He stood up from the bench. "I know a lot about pianos. I collect them, and I play. I could probably help you pick one out. I'm Josh, by the way."

Etta took the hand he held out. "Violet, but most people just call me Etta. And that would be very nice of you. I don't think I'll have the time to search out another one like this," she motioned at the piano Josh had just been playing.

"Why is this piano so special?" Josh asked. "It's not particularly ornamental or rare... The only thing about it is that it's old."

She shrugged awkwardly- not wanting to go into it. Etta didn't want this stranger to think she was trying to gain his pity. But... if it was for her mother... "My mother used to have one just like this. It used to belong to her great grandmother. It had been passed down through the family. It was in much better condition than this, though," she motioned at the piano. "We had to sell it last year, though. A collector offered her a lot of money for it. Our family- well, we needed the money more than the piano at the time. Medical bills. My father- he had just died from cancer, and his life insurance wasn't enough to cover the final expenses. I promised my mother I'd replace it some day."

Josh frowned. "That's... That's awful. I'm sorry. I can... I can let you buy it, if you'd like."

Etta smiled."Thank you for the offer, but that really isn't necessary. I would feel absolutely awful about it. I mean... it isn't the same piano, anyway. So the sentimental value wouldn't really be there. My mother just misses playing, and I really wanted to give her one for Christmas. I'm sure another one would do just as well."

"I really don't mind."

"No- I couldn't accept that offer. I wouldn't dream of it. What's important is that she is able to play. The state of the piano might just make her sad, anyway. The finish isn't the same. It's close to being the same, but isn't the same. It might just remind her of what she gave up and upset her more. Maybe it is better to just buy a different one."

Josh narrowed his gaze a little, then shrugged. "Then I at least insist you let me help you pick out a good one. Like I said, I know a thing or two about pianos. What kinds of things does your mother like to play?" he asked, stepping in the direction of one of the other pianos he'd been considering purchasing.

"Mostly classical music. Hymns now and again. But she really loves classical music. My mother says that it soothes her soul."

He smiled. "Oh! There is one here perfect for classical compositions. It's the same price as the other one, but much better suited for that kind of music."

It was a beautiful piece, that was certain. Etta didn't know much about pianos, but she knew that it would look beautiful in her mother's house. Not as perfect as the one she used to have, but it would be a great addition. "Can you play something on it, so that I can hear it?" she asked. "I never learned to play, so I don't know how to test it out."

Josh sat down in front of it. "Of course," he said. His fingers rested momentarily over the keys before they began to carefully pluck the melody to Clair de Lune. Etta immediately recognized the piece as one of her mother's favorites, and smiled lightly. He played so well. And as the last note hung in the air, she knew that this piano would be just as good as the one she was originally going to buy.

"Thank you, so much." She brushed tears from her eyes and offered a smile. "This really means a lot to me, you don't even know."

"You're sure you don't want the other one?"

"Positive. I can never replace my mother's piano, but I can give her a new one."

He smiled. "I'm glad to hear it." Josh glanced at his watch and then offered Etta one last smile. "I really do need to get going though. I have a meeting at four, and it's at least a half hour drive- assuming traffic isn't bad. I really hope your mother enjoys her gift. She sounds like a lovely woman, and she certainly has a lovely daughter."

Etta blushed. The fact that he was handsome had not gone unnoticed. "Thank you... Josh was it?"

He nodded. "Joshua Chasez. It was a pleasure to meet you Etta."

She watched him walk away, and sighed lightly. If it was already three, she needed to get going, too. Etta had dinner plans with her sister. She couldn't wait to tell her about the gift. Etta couldn't afford to pay off the piano now, but the shop keeper had agreed to let her make payments. Just in time for Christmas.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: jc christmas