Etta's sister had managed to get her mother out of the house for some last minute shopping. Her sister had cleverly "forgotten" a very important ingredient for Christmas dinner. The piano that Etta had bought was scheduled to be delivered at two. She was antsy, and excited. Her mother would be so ecstatic!

When the doorbell finally rang, she ran to the door and threw it open. "Deliver for a... Violet Lynn?"

"That's me!"

"Sign here, please."

Etta took the clipboard and signed it. "It goes in the next room," she said, propping the door open with something heavy. When she looked up, she gasped. The piano that they unloaded off the truck wasn't the one she bought. It... it was identicaly to the very one that her mother had sold last year. She guided the movers into the right room, and made sure they carefully positioned the piano in the bare spot on the wall where the old one had been. She gave them a very generous tip and shut the door behind them.

Could it be? Had that piano man from the antique shop sent her the piano he'd bought? But how could he have known the right finish on the wood?

There was a note pinned to the bench cusion, her name printed carefully on the outside of the envelope. Etta opened it with trembling fingers.

Dear Etta,

Your story about your family really moved me. I hope you don't mind- but after our meeting I tracked down the collector who bought the piano from your family last year. He told me about how your great-great-grandmother's name was inscribed on the back of the piano. When he showed me the carving, and I realized you had been named after her, I knew this had to be right instrument. I bought it back from him, and am having it delivered on Christmas Eve.

I found out your plans for the other piano from the old man at the antique shop. Please don't be cross with him. It's all in the spirit of the season, isn't it? I also had him write you a check for a refund of what you paid for the other piano at the shop. Maybe you can use it to buy yourself something nice.

Here is hoping that you aren't angry. Merry Christmas, Etta! To you and your mother.

-Joshua Chasez

Etta couldn't believe that a complete stranger would do something so amazingly kind for her. She sniffed and wiped tears from her eyes as she inspected the piano. It was the very one her mother had sold. And Etta knew how much her mother had gotten for the piano, and Josh had probably paid twice that to get it back. It was in better condition now than when they had sold it.

She looked at the letter again, but he hadn't left any contact information. A name. But no phone number or return address. How could she ever make it up to this man? Let him know how much something like this meant to her? What it would mean to her family? Etta hoped the old shop keeper would be equally willing to help her when she paid him a visit after the holidays. Something like this couldn't go unnoticed in her life.

Her mother and sister returned not even half an hour after the piano had been delivered. Etta stopped them at the doorway, and excitedly tied a scarf loosely around her mother's eyes. "Santa brought you something while you were gone!" Etta exclaimed. "But it's not ready for you to see just yet." She guided her mother through the living room and into the kitchen. "Sit at the table."

"Etta! You shouldn't have! Did you and your sister plan this?"

She glanced at her sister, and smiled. "Just sit still, mom. Promise me that you won't peak!"

Her mother smiled. "I promise."

Etta hurried her sister into the living room and gestured at the piano. "It's the same one! It's mom's piano!" she whispered. Then she quickly relayed the story of the man she'd met at the antique shop, and let her sister read the letter that had been attached to the bench of the piano.

"Mom is going to die, Etta. I can't believe someone would do this!"

"I'm determined to find him, Anne, and to thank him. He can't know what this means to our mother."

They carefully pulled the piano out from the wall, and ran their fingers over their great-great-grandmother's name still carved into the wood of the piano.

Etta returned to the kitchen, and placed her hands gently on her mother's shoulders. "Mother, you're ridiculous, you could have taken off the blindfold while you were waiting!"

"I was afraid to ruin your surprise! You sounded so excited."

She helped her mother stand and let her into the living room. She placed her at an angle, so that she would be able to not only see the piano- but the name on the back of it. Then she pulled the knot out of the scarf. "Surprise!" Etta and Anne exclaimed at once.

Etta's mother covered her heart, and her other hand balled into a fist and pressed to her mouth. "My god," she whispered, taking a few unsteady steps forward. The hand on her heart moved to the piano, steadying herself. "You... you got it back. I can't believe it!" She sat down on the bench and lifted the lid covering the keys. She immediately began to play. Etta and Anne smiled at each other, standing with their arms around one another as their mother played. It was the most beautiful song either of them had ever heard, or would hear in their lifetime. The sound was that of their mother's soul pouring into the keys.

This complete and total stranger had brought happiness into their home on Christmas. At great personal cost to himself, Etta was sure of it. The part of her that wanted to be angry and offended that he would butt into her life was quickly silenced as she saw the complete and utter joy on her mother's face. She didn't know much about this Joshua Chasez- but she did know one thing, he was an angel.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: jc christmas