Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for the kind words and encouraging reviews!
Two weeks later found Etta parked on the outside of a very large home in Los Angeles. She couldn't believe this was the right place. But it matched the address that the shop keeper had given her. She pressed a button on the little speaker by the gate, and a few moments later she heard a voice. Etta was fairly certain she recognized it as Josh's.

"Who is it?"

"Is this Josh?"

She heard him sigh. "Yes, this is Josh. And no, I will not sing for you."

Etta laughed. "I wasn't going to ask you to sing for me! This is Etta. I got your address from-"

"Oh!" he exclaimed, cutting her off. "Hang on, I'll let you in."

The gate opened, and Etta drove through. The drive led up to the front door of what could only be described as a mansion. Suddenly she no longer felt guilty about all of the trouble he had gone through to get her mother's piano back. Obviously money wasn't something he was short on. What on earth did he do to make him enough money to live in a place like this?

As she climbed out of her car, he opened the door. His hair was dissheveled, jeans wrinkled, and his shirt was on inside out. Oh god! Had she interrupted something... important? Etta blushed a little as she walked toward the door. "I... I'm sorry. I would have called first, but the man at the store didn't give me your phone number... Just an address. Did I interrupt anything?"

"No. I was just down in my studio, working on something. Come in, please." He stepped out of the way of the door, ushering Etta inside. She looked around, surprised at the simple decorative touches inside. They were masculine, yes, but it was obvious that even if he did have money he didn't need to show it off.

"Your house is beautiful. And huge. What do you do?" she asked.

Josh arched an eyebrow at her, and shut the door. He rubbed his hand through his hair, then laughed. "You really don't know?"

She shook her head. Was he a celebrity? Was she about to have made an ass out of herself? "I'm sorry, but I don't."

"How old are you?" he asked.

"I'm twenty-six."

She was the right age to know who he was. "I'm Joshua Chasez. Better known as JC. Once upon a time I was in a little band called N Sync... Then I tried to have a solo career. Now I work more... behind the scenes in the music business."

Realization dawned on Etta. "That must be why you looked familiar! No offense, but I never really listened to much pop music growing up. My dad and mom raised me on older music. I only heard about you guys through friends. When I was fourteen I was in love with Frank Sinatra."

"You and I both, Etta. So what brings you here?"

"I had to come and thank you. You can't know how great you made my holiday. I really wanted to figure out a way to repay you, but I can see now-" she gestured around her, "that there is probably very little I could do to show you how thankful I am. I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out something to show my appreciation."

He smiled a little, leading the way through the house to his living room. "You really don't have to do anything. It was just a chance to do something good for somebody on Christmas, that's all. Just knowing that you'd go so far out of your way to try and find me to thank me is enough."

"It really isn't," Etta said.

Josh sat down in an arm chair and motioned for her to sit down. Etta settled on the end of the couch nearest him. "It's not very often that I get the chance to do something like that for someone. And I was in the Christmas spirit. It's really not that big of a deal."

"Not to you," Etta countered.

"Is your mom happy?" Josh asked.

"Incredibly. She's been playing it all of the time. I haven't seen her this happy in a long time. She's even been learning new pieces, buying new music. She's teaching my niece how to play, too. It's amazing."

"That's all the repayment I need, to know that it was worth it."

Etta smiled. "That has to be the nicest thing anybody has ever done for me in my entire life. Or for my family. You really did give us Christmas cheer. I hope your Christmas went just as well."

He shrugged a little and tugged at the hem of his shirt, realizing he had it on inside out. "It was alright. I went home to visit family. But it's been a long time since I really enjoyed Christmas. I mean, Christmas to me is more for kids. And there aren't any young kids in my family anymore. And my parents don't have many needs. It's hard to find ways to really do good things for the people I care about, because I've been doing good things for them for so long."

"Don't you have a girlfriend?" Etta blurted with little thought. Surely a man like him had to be attached. He was obviously successful, and Etta thought that he was quite handsome. At some point in time, the majority of the female population must have thought so considering the popularity of the group he was once a part of.

"Not currently," he told her. "Hard to find genuine people in my world. Plus I'm of an age where meeting girls at parties or bars isn't ideal."

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked that. It's really none of my business."

"No, it's really okay. I'm glad someone just asks. You know, talking to me like I'm a normal person."

Etta blinked. "But you are a normal person. I mean... I didn't know who you were when I met you. You're just Josh. I had no idea when I started the drive out here that you would live in a place like this and be... famous, I guess? Why wouldn't I talk to you like you're a normal person?"

He laughed. "I don't know. Just not used to it. Glad to know someone thinks I'm just a normal person. I mean, I'm blessed beyond belief. And I know celebrities say it all the time- but you know, it just gets lonely. Surrounded by fake people who always have some kind of hidden agenda."

"I know it's not much to offer, Josh, but if you're ever lonely you could call me. I mean, you're a long drive from where I live- more than an hour- but it's one way to try to repay you for your kindness."

Josh fidgeted uncomfortably. That was... a very forward and presumptuous offer on her part. Though it meant a lot to him. "I don't want a friend who feels obligated to be there."

"I don't mean for it to sound that way. I mean... You obviously must be a really great person. I'd like to be your friend and get to know you. Anyone who would do what you did is worth getting to know."

Josh smiled a little. "A friend would be a great thing to have. I warn you though, I can be pretty damn needy," he joked.

"I warn you I can be pretty damn maternal and have a hell of a lot of opinions and advice to offer."

"Well, I don't want your trip out here to be a total waste. How long have you got?"

"All day," Etta told him. "Off work today. That's why it took so long to get down here, had to get a day off first."

"What do you say we go out for lunch, then, and get this friendship kicked off right. Make sure you know what you're getting yourself into. Make sure that you're up for it. Being my friend isn't an easy thing to do."

She smiled. "Maybe not, but I'm the sort of girl who is always up for a challenge."



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: jc christmas