It only took Etta a week to get packed. Justin's son was an absolute angel, and Etta couldn't turn down the position once it had been offered to her. She'd always wanted to do one-on-one care with kids. And it was a great move for her career. Having experience working with a celebrity's child meant that when the boy was too old for a nanny, she could move on to another celebrity family. And the money was better than she had expected. Etta had argued that it was too much, but when Justin proved to her that it was on par with what other caretakers made in Hollywood she accepted.


Her room at his house was more like an entire wing. She had thought that Josh's house was impressive- it was quaint in comparison to the mansion that Justin lived in. You could tell who was the more successful man in the world.


Josh had been thrilled to learn that Etta had accepted the position. He was glad she was going to be in town. Seeing her once or twice a week wasn't good enough for him. And Justin's house was only a five minute drive from his. Josh had been sure to let Etta be fully aware of that.


Josh was going to help her move her things to Justin's house. He rolled into the driveway of Etta's mother's house with a truck early in the morning. She greeted him at the door with a bright smile. “I made breakfast,” she told him. “Have you eaten?”


“Nope. And that sounds great. Smells great, too,” he said following her into the house.


Etta introduced him to her mother and sister, and motioned for him to sit down at the table. She handed him a plate then sat down next to him. “Help yourself. There's a little bit of everything. You just have to be sure to try the pancakes. I made them from scratch.”


“I plan to try a little bit of everything,” he said then loaded his plate down with food.


After breakfast, Etta quickly did the dishes then began helping Josh carry her boxes out to the moving truck. She had carefully labeled everything... Perhaps a little too carefully. Some boxes had entire lists written down the sides.


“You don't have very much stuff,” he commented.


“A lot of my things are out in the building behind the house. But it's stuff I doubt I'll need. Furniture, mostly. Justin told me that the room had a television in it and a brand new bed, so I'm going to leave that stuff here. He tried to get me to let him buy me all kinds of stuff so I'd feel at home and I told him not to. It's nice of him to offer, but I'm going to work for him... So he shouldn't be going out of his way for me.”


“It's not like it's a big deal for him.”


“But it is to me,” Etta said. “And that is what matters.”


She helped him carry a few things out of the building out back, and within a couple of hours they had all of her things in the truck. There was an awful lot of room left in the back.


“Looks like you over estimated how much junk I have.”


“Smallest truck they had to rent, actually,” Josh said. “You always have struck me as a relatively low maintenance girl.”


“Looks can be deceiving,” she said with a smile. “I'll be back out in a minute. I'm going to go tell my mom and sister goodbye one last time and I'll be ready to go.”


Josh nodded and settled himself behind the wheel.


Etta went back inside, and wasn't surprised to see her mother was tearing up. “Mom, it's only an hour away, I'll be home all the time. You know that.” She hugged her mother anyway, and kissed her cheek. “I'll take care, don't worry.”


“He's handsome,” her sister said. “He seems like a great catch. You should stick with that guy.”


Etta laughed. “It's not like that.”


“Then snatch up Justin. I know for a fact he's damn good looking, too. And talented.”


She rolled her eyes. “This isn't about romance. We're just friends. And I'm going there for my career. It's really good money, and it's good for me long term. I've missed taking care of a kid one on one for a long time. You both know that.” Etta hugged her sister. “But if you want I'll introduce you to Justin and you can snatch him up for yourself.”


Her sister beamed. “Now <i>that</i> sounds like a plan.”


“I'll call you guys tonight after I get settled in.”


“And send pictures!” her mother reminded her. “I want to make sure you're living well.”


“Mother- he's a millionaire. I highly doubt I'm going to be living in squalor. But I'll send you pictures. And everything else that you want to know as soon as I get settled.”


Etta gave them one last hug before heading back out to the truck. She grinned at him through the window. “Lead the way, and I'll follow in my car.”


When they got to Justin's house, he was waiting on them. He'd hired a few men to carry all of Etta's things into the house and up to her room. “I'm really glad you decided to take the job,” he told her, shaking her hand as she came up the stairs.


“I'm glad, too. Where's Colton?”


“He's gone to spend the week with my mother. I figured I'd give you time to get settled in and used to the house before throwing a kid at you, too. I hope that's okay.”


“Of course it is.”


Justin led the two of them inside, Etta watching warily as her boxes were carried up the stairs. She hoped they were careful, some of her things were breakable. She sat down on the couch next to Josh, comfortably slinging her legs across his lap.


“After they get all of your stuff carried in, I was thinking we could all go to eat,” Justin said. “They just opened a new fifties diner that's I've heard great things about.”


“That sounds good to me,” Etta said. “I like food and I like the fifties.”


“You going to need any help unpacking?” Josh asked. “I don't have anything to do for the rest of the day, I could lend you a hand.”


“Yeah, sure, I could use some help.”


Incomplete
Dollface is the author of 1 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked Random Act of Kindness also liked 26 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: jc christmas