Story Notes:
Thank you to jr88freak for the banner

Photobucket
“I brought you something,” Jenna told Chris as they walked to their lockers to put their books up to go to lunch. She ignored the people around them, giving him a smile.

“What is it? Is it illegal?” Chris asked, returning her smile with one of his as he opened his locker and tossed his books in, his coat shoved in there. He ignored the fact that his coat had a rip in it and that his sneakers were getting a little too tight. He watched as she pulled out her lunch bag and opened it.

“No, Kirkpatrick, it's not illegal,” Jenna replied, rolling her eyes at him. “Come on, we're going to eat outside today,” she announced, not waiting for him to catch up. The weather had been cold that week, keeping most of the other students inside. It would be a nice relief from the stuffy cafeteria or the gym where she and Chris stayed during lunch most of the time.

Chris watched her walking and grabbed his coat out his locker and ran to catch up. “You know it's forty degrees outside, right Jen?” he asked, raising his eyebrow at her. “Did you get that History homework done?”

“Yeah, I'll let you see it later. You had to work last night...” she let the comment go when he nodded as they sat down. She took out her lunch and handed Chris a plastic container with a lid on it and then a plastic fork. “You mentioned you loved red velvet cake...and I found a mix and made one with the icing. Besides, you haven't eaten all week at school.”

Chris blew out a breath and opened the container, his stomach protesting loudly. He hated being poor. Even more than that was the embarrassment of having to announce that he got free lunch every day at school. It wouldn't have been so bad if he just could go through the line at school and gotten a tray. Even worse was it was tenth, when everything mattered. He and Jenna were teased for not having the name brand clothes or new shoes. They'd been friends since second grade, when she'd moved to Ohio from New York and sat by him and shared crayons. “This is good,” he told her, taking big bites, shaking his head when she offered him part of her sandwich and chips. “You gotta eat too.”

“I'll be fine, Chris. Besides, I hate hearing your stomach growl in class.” Jenna gave him a look and stuck out her tongue when he harrumphed. “What are your Christmas plans?” she watched him shrug, knowing they were probably much like hers. Trying to work a little for some money to help out.

“I told Mr. Fischer I could work whenever he needed me. I told Mom I would try and help with Christmas for the girls...” he sat up a little straighter and looked down at the bag of chips. Chris and Jenna didn't ever think they should be pitied because their parents didn't make a lot of money, that they came from single parent households. It was just the way life was. “What do you want for Christmas?”

Jenna looked over at Chris and shrugged. She could have given him a lot of answers. Make up, a couple magazines she liked, some new shoes and a coat, a cute purse she'd seen in the department store she wanted. “I'd like to hear you sing again, like you did for my birthday,” she confessed, blushing.

“You liked that?” Chris asked her, shaking his head. “I was just goofing off,” he studied the brunette beside him and watched her shiver, slipping out of his coat and handing it to her. “Here, ya crazy. 'Let's go sit outside'” he mimicked her and watched her give him a dirty look. “Really, what do you want for Christmas? I want to know...”

Jenna shoved the bag of chips in his hands and wiped her hands and then turned to look at him. “What do you want, Christopher Alan? I never hear you say anything about what you want. For anything. I know for a fact your shoes came from Goodwill as well as your coat,” she fingered the rip in it and looked at him, watching him look away from her. “You bust your ass,” she smiled at his surprise at her curse word, “to make sure your mom and little sisters have what they need. The only time you smile is when you play basketball or when you're singing. I hate school...I hate how it really matters what we wear,” she frowned, watching Chris's breath come out in the cold. “I don't want anything for Christmas. If you get me anything, I'll punch you in your nose.”

“You won't punch me, Davis,” Chris scoffed, using her last name and watching her glare at him. “Fine. Then I don't want you to go buy me anything either. Or I won't sing for you.”

“Awww, look at the two lovebirds. Jenna, you and Chris should get married. Maybe the two of you can live in the homeless shelter downtown,” someone called out, causing them both to jump in surprise.

Chris jumped up and headed for the group of older boys when he felt Jenna pull on his arm. “Let me go,” he growled, yanking his arm away.

“They aren't worth it,” Jenna hissed, tears stinging her eyes. They should have been used to it by now, having been told by her mother that there were always people who were going to be mean to others.

“Hold your boyfriend back,” another boy said. “Maybe the Salvation Army can hand out a few free meals during Christmas break. Besides, don't your mom's both work the same street corner.”

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“Ms. Davis, Principal Thomas is ready to see you,” the secretary said, giving her a small smile.

Jenna stood up and blotted her face with the tissue that had been balled up in her hand for the last twenty minutes. She was still wearing Chris's coat. After everything had happened, she'd forgotten to give it back to him. It hadn't really mattered since he was currently sitting in the nurse's station with an ice pack on his lip and a black eye. It hadn't been a totally unfair fight, however, with the mouthiest culprit ending up with a very sore jaw and a new respect for Chris's right hook.

She took a seat in the office after the principal shut the door. “Mr. Thomas, it wasn't Chris's fault...” she began, but stopped when he held up his hand.

“I have talked with Mr.Kirkpatrick. He understands that there has to be some punishment on his part. He could have walked away from a fight.”

“Would you let someone insult your mother?” Jenna asked the principal, watching his face redden. “Like him, my mom is the only one who takes care of me and my little brother,” she stood up and showed the man the coat she was wearing. “He works all the hours he can at a grocery store to help out his mom and sisters..unlike most of the student population here, he doesn't care if someone wears Air Jordans or sneakers from Goodwill. So whatever punishment you give him, I want it too.”

“Fine. You and Mr. Kirkpatrick have suspension for a day. You are not to come to school tomorrow.”

Jenna shrugged and nodded, getting up. “A free day, thanks Mr. Thomas.”

“This will go on your school record, Ms. Davis,” he reminded her, watching her leave.

Jenna didn't really care about her school record. She was more worried about Chris. And about what her mother would say when she found out she was suspended from school. She heard Chris say her name and went into the nurse's office. “You look like Hell.”

“Thanks,” Chris told her, giving her a smile, watching her take off his jacket and lay it next to him on the chair. “I won't be at school tomorrow,” he said, a little sad he wouldn't see her.

“I won't either. I guess that means we'll have to go walk around downtown or something. Go look at the Christmas lights,” Jenna told him, telling Chris what she'd told the principal.

“Why would you do that?” Chris asked after she'd explained. “I mean, I'll take my punishment, Jen.”

“I don't like being at school when you aren't here,” she confessed, pulling the ice pack away and wincing at his lip.

“Quit. It's just a busted lip,” Chris said, giving her a grin even though it hurt. “Go to class. I'll see you in History.”

Jenna nodded, picking up her book bag and giving him a small wave bye. She made her way to her class and sat down, ignoring the stares from her classmates and the ones who were whispering. She had other things to worry about, sighing and opening her notebook to start copying down what the teacher was saying.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

Chris had his hand shoved down in his pockets as he and Jenna walked home from school. They lived in the same neighborhood and it was closer to walk than spend two hours on the bus running all over the city and then home. “So, what are we doing tomorrow?” a smirk came to his face as he thought about their 'day off'. Some of his guy friends that he played basketball with had given him a hard time when they found out Jenna had gotten in trouble too, but he didn't care.

“I don't know. We could go walk around downtown and window shop,” she suggested, getting a nod from him. “I need to go by Culver's Pharmacy and see if they will let me work some.” Jenna looked over at Chris and at his shoes. “What if you were rich and famous someday?” she asked, laughing as he looked at her as if she was crazy.

“If..If I was, I'd make sure my mom and sisters didn't have to worry about money or anything. And I'd help out my friends...and I'd try my best not to act any differently than I did before. Cause it doesn't matter how much money you have or don't have. You can act decent or like a jerk either way.”

Jenna nodded in agreement. “Girls could have pictures of you on their walls and sing along to you singing them songs, be in some group where you toured all over the world,” she teased him and laughed when he shook his head. “I would treat myself to some new clothes. And I'd try help you out with your fashion sense.”

“It was a Christmas sweater my grandma sent me in fifth grade, Jen!! Can you forget about that?” Chris practically yelled and stopped when they got her house, the gate to the chain link fence open as usual. He pulled her into a hug. “See ya. I gotta home and tell my mother about why I'm not going to classes tomorrow.” He rolled his eyes at Jen when she used his full name and watched her go into her house, waving at her little brother Brenden.

The walk to his house took about ten minutes, and he tossed his coat and books in his room before coming out and sitting down at the small table where they ate. His mom wasn't home, her note saying she had to work another shift until nine and that the older neighbor had his sisters and would bring them home around five. Chris sighed and got up and looked in the freezer and got out the pot pies to fix. Those were easy and he knew he could get away with eating what his sisters didn't want. He also thought about missing school tomorrow and sort of wished now he hadn't. He'd miss seeing his other friends and going to choir practice. Besides seeing Jenna, singing and sports were the highlights of his school career.

*^^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“Chris, honey, I'm home,” his mother Beverly called out as she sat down her keys and the mail. The house was relatively quiet as she locked the door and then went to check on the girls who were both asleep. The light under Chris's door was on and she knocked softly, hearing him humming along to the radio. “Chris...” she opened the door and stopped when he looked at her, his eye almost swollen shut and his lip big. “Oh my God, baby, what happened?”

“It's nothing, Mom,” Chris told her, hating to be fussed over, knowing that it really didn't matter. “I got in a fight at school with some guys...” his voice trailed off as he winced as she touched his eye.

“A fight? About what?” she questioned him, sitting down on his bed. She hated that he felt like he had to be grown up and work. She'd told him to always keep part of the money he made for himself, but he never did. Now she listened as he told her about eating lunch with Jen and then what the guys had said to him. “I've always told you, Christopher, that kids are going to be mean. And you know what they said wasn't true.”

“I know that, Mom, but it still doesn't make it hurt any less. Jen even got suspended too, just so I wouldn't be the only one. We were thinking of going and window shopping around downtown...”

“Like a date?” Beverly smiled as Chris blushed and profusely shook his head no. “You can take her out on a date and be friends. Did you ask what she wanted for Christmas?”

“I asked but she told me she just wanted me to sing. What am I supposed to do with that?”

Beverly got up and hugged Chris. “Get her something anyway. Did she ask you what you wanted?” knowing Jenna would ask as he nodded. “And you told her?...”

“Same thing she told me. Nothing.” Chris watched as his Mom pulled out her money from her tips. He started shaking his head as she handed him a twenty dollar bill and then a five.

“Take it and have fun tomorrow. You've helped me enough for the week. And you better take part of your money and get her a gift. Jen would love whatever you gave her.”

“That's what I like about her, Mom. She doesn't think bad because we don't have a lot of money or that our family isn't the same as everyone else's...like hers. It's nice.” Chris laid there after his mom had gone and tried to sleep. He wasn't looking for a girlfriend, but as far as girls went, he thought Jenna was pretty cool. She was smart and funny, and kind to people. He'd found out a lot of people liked her just because she was nice to everyone, even the janitors and lunch ladies when she got a lunch. He figured that they'd seen each other mad, sad, and every other emotion they could go through. There were things she did that drove him crazy (like chewing on the end of her pencil) and vice versa. He rolled over and closed his eyes, hoping tomorrow would be fun.
*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“Bubby, does your eye hurt?” Chris's sister Ashley asked him, studying it carefully. She was in fourth grade and Riley was in third.

“It's not bad, Ash. You better eat your oatmeal. You too, Ri,” he told them, drinking a glass of orange juice.

“Is Jenna your girlfriend, Chris?” Riley asked, both of the girls giggling.

“No,” Chris told her, smiling as they both started singing about him and Jenna sitting in a tree.

“Girls, quit harrassing your brother and eat. I have to drop you off at Mrs. Fiona's in a bit,” Beverly told them, giving Chris a hug. “Have fun today.”

“We will,” he promised. “I'll wash dishes when I get home,” he called out to his mom as he went to his bedroom to finish getting ready. He sighed, settling on a t-shirt with a Pittsburgh Steelers pullover instead of his coat. Chris rifled through his drawers, finding his toboggan and pulling it on, along with his gloves that didn't have fingers. He smiled, thinking of Jenna teasing him. He grabbed his wallet and checked his money again. It was easy enough to run down to the place where he bagged groceries at and pick up his check. It wasn't a lot, but it was enough to help out. “I'm off, Mom,” Chris called out, hugging his sisters and then her.

“Have a good time today,” Beverly told her son, shaking her head at him when he started humming a song before he even got out the front door.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: christmas chris