"...and that's a wrap. Thanks for staying late, people," 


I heard the director's voice from the other side of the soundstage. I stood there with Justin's messenger bag on one arm, a bottle of water in one hand, and a black coffee in the other. Finally, finally, it was time to go home. I'd been there all day long and then some because this director on this particular movie set was finickier than most and because Justin hadn't "felt it" when he'd done a few of his scenes with Megan Fox. I wanted to raise my hand and interrupt and point out that maybe the reason he hadn't "felt it" was because he just wanted the excuse to kiss Megan Fox a few more times. I'd overheard him earlier that day talking with Trace in his dressing room about how her last name suited her and how it was a shame she was really committed to Brian Austin Green. Yet another time I wanted to interject and remind him that her commitment to Brian Austin Green was that of a marriage commitment and that as wonderful and as hot as Justin thought that he was, he probably wouldn't be able to woo her away any time soon.


I've seen it all too much, being the Personal Assistant to Justin Timberlake. Or, as my best friend Michelle refers to him, "the asshole." But Michelle's just mad because Justin wouldn't let me have a day off to join her at a spa in Vegas for her birthday. I don't know why she was surprised at that. I've been his PA for almost two years now and he's never really been the generous, let-you-off-for-your-best-friend's-birthday kind of boss. Justin is one of the most sought after celebrities in the world right now, but he knows that and it's the part of him knowing how wonderful he is that kind of pisses me off sometimes because I feel like he kind of forgets the way the rest of the world really is. He also is super touchy about the "other" Justin (Bieber) and I think he's secretly afraid that J-Biebs is going to be more popular than him. Which, in a way, is probably true. My fourteen-year-old cousin, Kayla, has no idea who Justin Timberlake really is and her wall is plastered with the Biebs. I don't ever bring this up in conversation with Justin. I figure since he probably doesn't even know I have a cousin named Kayla, he wouldn't be interested with what celebrity was on her wall.


I've been to countless openings for charities, malls, a small island once. I've gotten tickets to concerts most people would kill for, - front row at Mumford and Sons last year - designer clothes for parties, red carpet events, and movie premieres. From the outside, most of my friends would kill to have the lifestyle that I do.

Unfortunately, they also know what an asshole Justin is and they know what I have to put up with most of the time. I think he appreciates me and what I do, but most of the time he's talking with Trace, his best friend, who also is supposed to be his other PA, but really he just hangs around and I do all of the work. 


"Water?" Justin barely looks at me when he approaches. He's still focusing on Megan Fox, who's just gone into her dressing room. I hand him his water and he sips it, then looks back at me. "What did you think, Marli? Pretty good, right? They say this movie is gonna get some Oscar buzz." They are clearly out of their minds if they think that any movie Megan Fox is in is Oscar worthy, I think to myself. The movie is an action movie and from what I can gather, it's about a guy who owns a motorcycle shop and has no idea that some terrorist group has targeted him and has planted a bomb not far from the shop. Megan's character is how they are luring him into their trap. Or something like that. To be honest, it looks like a ridiculous film to me and I've just kind of nodded and agreed with Justin whenever he's brought it up in conversation. I think he took it because he tends to get paranoid if his agent isn't calling him everyday with something new to do. He couldn't believe it when Ryan Gosling was cast in The Place Beyond the Pines and griped for days about how that role would have been perfect for him. When I told Michelle she just laughed out loud and said, "No, it wouldn't have. Ryan can act. Justin plays himself!" Oh, if Justin only knew the things that were said behind his back. He'd probably forbid me to be friends with Michelle.


We start walking towards the awaiting limo. Trace and Justin are ahead of me talking about some club opening that they're going to later that night. That's when I'm suddenly reminded of the phone call from Justin's manager earlier that day. He is trying to pester me to have a huge Christmas party at Justin's Hollywood Hills home. His manager doesn't seem to understand that Justin hates Christmas. He'll get a tree put up and decorate, but he tries to avoid Christmas parties or anything like that. Yes, that's yet another thing that people don't know about Justin. Oh, the fronts he can put on! Michelle is wrong. Justin is a great actor when he's not on screen.


"So," Justin says to me, as we are getting seated in the limo. He and Trace take their spot in the seat in front of the back window and I take my place across from them. Justin reaches into the cooler next to him and pulls out a beer. "Anything for me?" he takes a gulp of beer and waits as I pull out my iPhone and look at my recent notes from the day. 


"Well, there's that William Rast opening in San Francisco next week," I start off. Justin just nods and then stares at me blankly. "Are you going? I need to call their manager back and let him know. It's kind of a big deal..." I trail off as I see Justin and Trace smirking at each other. Ok, so that's obviously a 'no'. 


"Marli, you know I'm too busy to go to that opening! For crying out loud I've got a movie I'm filming and they've asked me to record a song for the soundtrack," Justin answers me as if I'm a child begging for candy at a candy shop. 


"Really, dude? That's great about the song!" Trace pipes up. 


"Yeah. I don't know when I'll find time. But I might see if Nicki Minaj might be interested in going in with me," and for about the next five minutes all the conversation is about is Justin and his song for the soundtrack. I'm physically trying not to let myself roll my eyes. 


"So," I clear my throat, after he starts talking about how well he raps and how fun it would be if he and Nicki rapped together instead of sang. "I'll call the manager at the new store and tell him you can't make it. Next, a producer in London called and wanted to know if you would be interested in a role in Chicago on the West End?"


"Broadway musical? No way. Leave that to Joey," Justin scoffed. I wanted to point out that it was a West End musical and not Broadway, but again, there are just some times where it's best to keep one's mouth shut. He sighed as if bored.

"Anything else?"


"Yes, Max called and wants you to put on a Christmas party at your home -"


"Hell no," Justin snaps. "Did you tell him Christmas is a bunch of bull shit and that I don't have time for it?"


I swallow hard so as to resist the urge to yell back at him, "No, I didn't, asshole. But if you'd like to, I can call him up right now!" I clear my throat again. "No. No, I didn't. I told him I'd talk to you first."


"Marli, you're a smart girl. You should know by this time that I hate Christmas hoopla and shit. I'm not throwing one and..." I let him his voice trail off. God, I hate when he patronizes me. 


"Maybe you should, dude," Trace says. "It'll bring you good publicity and you need that right now. It's been a while since your last movie and this one doesn't come out til next fall. You could invite your friends but then invite the A-listers."


Justin sighs and then looks at me. "Fine. Start making up the list and tell Max I'm in."



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: justin christmas